PDA

View Full Version : Slipway ideas

hmurphy
4th July 2010, 20:12
Hey guys, just thought I would see if anyone is interested in this idea.

It's often joked about, but just wondering if anybody thinks it would actually be a good idea to try...... planning Slipway tracks in advance. Unless everybody is keen to just wing it on the day. Most of the time it turns out totally ok.

Today was a really good clockwise track I reckon, 2 good places to pass per lap in my opinion and not unnecessarily dangerous. The anticlockwise direction was a lot of fun I thought! Really fast sweeping corners and was a blast, however it was damn near impossible to make a pass without risking way too much.

My opinion is that a chicane is an awesome idea at the start of a straight, but not at the end of a straight. At the start of the straight it basically decides how well you will do along the straight and gives a really decent chance for people to out brake each other into the top or bottom end corner. This is why I think the clockwise direction worked and is why the anticlockwise direction was really fast and hard to pass. There were no opportunities to make clean braking manoeuvres. (There was a fast chicane near the end of the first straight in the clockwise direction but because you could stay tapped out the whole way through, it didn't make much difference and sorted the men from the boys haha).

I have drawn a couple of pictures on paint (I am no artist as you may notice). The first picture is the track we did today. As above, I think it was a really good race track for clockwise.

The second picture is what I think would be good for anticlockwise for passing. Do well before the straight, or get passed. I am not saying we should do this track, just trying to show what I mean.

The third picture is a very simple layout of what Slipway looks like if anyone can be bothered drawing their own using my template.

This is all just an idea, totally don't mind if everyone thinks "Meh, can't be biffed. Winging it works well". I enjoy the tracks as it is. Was just interesting today that it was much easier to pass in one direction than the other.

Pictures only took 1 min to draw so give it a go if you have any ideas

ajturbo
4th July 2010, 22:44
too.. hard to think.... and what ever we think up.. i am sure fish will change it..lol

Kendog
5th July 2010, 06:27
Great idea.
I enjoyed the straight going clockwise as well, I didn't know why till you explained it, makes perfect sense.

The other thing to do is draw (or take pictures) of how the tyres were set up when we arrive. How did your phone pics come out AJ? I didn't see them at the end of the day.

Trudes
5th July 2010, 08:25
It's all good, I like the idea, I think Craig tried to do something similar a few years back but it never really took off, so setting up a track lay out like this would be cool to kick things off.
Also these things only pan out if people help with making the track AND/OR putting the tyres back at the end of the day. As usual it seems to be the usual suspects and even folks who don't even ride doing the shit jobs. I understand that not everyone can get there in time to help set up, or stick around to help tidy up...... but both every time? hmmmmmmm I smell bullshit. (Sorry, just having a vent of my observations).

ajturbo
5th July 2010, 19:13
Great idea.
I enjoyed the straight going clockwise as well, I didn't know why till you explained it, makes perfect sense.

The other thing to do is draw (or take pictures) of how the tyres were set up when we arrive. How did your phone pics come out AJ? I didn't see them at the end of the day.

sorry matey.. i really wasn't feeling very well (believe it or not).and had no energy to move anything but my teeth into a sausage . but i have checked the photo's i took... they came out a LOT better than i thought.... next time (if i remember) i will stop up high again and take a couple ...

fi5hy
6th July 2010, 17:53
It's all good, I like the idea, I think Craig tried to do something similar a few years back but it never really took off, so setting up a track lay out like this would be cool to kick things off.
Also these things only pan out if people help with making the track AND/OR putting the tyres back at the end of the day. As usual it seems to be the usual suspects and even folks who don't even ride doing the shit jobs. I understand that not everyone can get there in time to help set up, or stick around to help tidy up...... but both every time? hmmmmmmm I smell bullshit. (Sorry, just having a vent of my observations).

That's the nature of the beast of being an organiser I for one know what it is like having done this for years setting up and clearing down the old GM car park, hutt river car park, Market Gardens Tawa,Upper Hutt Railway Station,Upper Hutt Street Race Not to mention taking the tyres too and from the event sites. I think the only way to make things happen is to bring it up at riders briefing.

Dutchee
6th July 2010, 19:01
That's the nature of the beast of being an organiser I for one know what it is like having done this for years setting up and clearing down the old GM car park, hutt river car park, Market Gardens Tawa,Upper Hutt Railway Station,Upper Hutt Street Race Not to mention taking the tyres too and from the event sites. I think the only way to make things happen is to bring it up at riders briefing.
Henk and I were involved with trailrides up here for about 10 years. The number of people who thought we were being paid to be there kept astounding us. We were spending a lot of time in the forest with saws in our hands, staplers etc and got fed up with it. We no longer help out with events and that is one thing I enjoy about buckets up here.
I am more than happy to help out, where required, but would rather other people step up first. Like Fishy, I got burnt out and don't overly want to go there again, but hate seeing other people burning out.
Your post does make me feel guilty about how little I help out with the setting up and cleaning up, up here, as we're usually some of the last to leave (and I get dragged out of bed if I'm heading out there, as he wants to get there early blah blah f'ing blah). hahaha

Do mention it at riders' briefing as there may be some there that just don't think that maybe you don't want to burn yourselves out. Then again, I know JC gets fed up with having to ask for help on certain things up here.

Trudes
6th July 2010, 20:44
I'm not organizing anything and am not in charge of rider's briefing. Most of the regulars know about the tyres at Slipway and Bayden yelled that there were tyres to be put away, yet still there was only about 8 of us out there putting them away, at least 4 of whom had helped put them out. It seems to keep happening, are some people so forgetful that they need to be reminded everytime? A little consideration goes a long way.

fi5hy
6th July 2010, 21:01
I'm not organizing anything and am not in charge of rider's briefing. Most of the regulars know about the tyres at Slipway and Bayden yelled that there were tyres to be put away, yet still there was only about 8 of us out there putting them away, at least 4 of whom had helped put them out. It seems to keep happening, are some people so forgetful that they need to be reminded everytime? A little consideration goes a long way.

I know what you mean what say next time none of the regulars do anything and see how long it takes for someone to get things going??

Trudes
6th July 2010, 21:16
I know what you mean what say next time none of the regulars do anything and see how long it takes for someone to get things going??
Haha sounds good to me, I just hope someone puts the tyres away at the end and they don't get left out when everyone buggers off expecting someone will do it.

F5 Dave
7th July 2010, 09:32
Hi all. Another thing we need to make sure to stress is that organisers don't want to be given grief over enforcement of the rules. I remember that as an MNZ steward. We have the luxury if we get people constantly being pricks we can tell them to pack up & not come back.

quallman1234
7th July 2010, 10:22
Perhaps make a rule saying no bikes off the trailers until the tires are set up? and vice versa at the end of the day?
Might work, might not.

I admit i helped put them out, but didn't hear the call to pull them in. Will definitely be doing both next time. Im usually pretty good anyway.

ola_bitchola1
23rd July 2010, 21:15
have you guys let ben have free reign in designing a course i race my race car there occasionally and he allways sets good courses it would be interesting to see what he would do for a bike course

Number One
23rd July 2010, 22:02
Also these things only pan out if people help with making the track AND/OR putting the tyres back at the end of the day. As usual it seems to be the usual suspects and even folks who don't even ride doing the shit jobs.

Sad to read that this is STILL an issue....even after all the 'mentions in riders briefings' and even direct requests...I can recall asking directly nicely, somewhat nicely and then really bluntly and those that are rude selfish pricks are just that even when asked...hope that particular rude selfish prick isn't still soaking up everyones oxygen!

I got burnt out and don't overly want to go there again, but hate seeing other people burning out.

Can totally kill your interest and enjoyment of it all....

A little consideration goes a long way.

INDEED and MANY HANDS MAKES LIGHT WORK!!!!

:rofl: I'd love to read an update on how that goes...

Sad that it sounds as if all the same people are still expected to do ALL the work.