PDA

View Full Version : Robin Bain documentary - TV1

motor_mayhem
6th July 2010, 22:37
Just watched it, seems like at the retrial the jurors were only told about 1/3 of the story.

If it comes up on tvondemand I recommend it

The Stranger
6th July 2010, 23:29
Just watched it, seems like at the retrial the jurors were only told about 1/3 of the story.

If it comes up on tvondemand I recommend it

What I want to know is when are the cops going to find the real killer. It wasn't david and now we know it wasn't Robin, so who the fuck was it?

Berries
7th July 2010, 00:04
They'll pin it on Scott Watson.

DNA you see.

Katman
7th July 2010, 00:21
It was the black baby.

Scouse
7th July 2010, 02:04
I reckon that anyone who lets David into there home to stay is asking to wake up one morning with a bullet in the head

YellowDog
7th July 2010, 06:23
I reckon that anyone who lets David into there home to stay is asking to wake up one morning with a bullet in the head

Wake up with a ....................

Surely you wouldn't ..................

OK - I'll cancel his invite :)

JimO
7th July 2010, 06:56
that photocopier guy what was his motive for bullshitting

Mully
7th July 2010, 09:13
Damn, I forgot to mysky it.

Hope it does come up on ondemand.

neels
7th July 2010, 09:43
Some puerto rican guy did it.

Or alternatively, an alternative conspiracy theory. Robin killed the family (except david) got changed and was about to do a runner, David got home earlier than expected and found him and administered a summary execution to save the taxpayer lots of money. Good theory? (except for the saving the taxpayers lots of money part)

wysper
7th July 2010, 10:04
Coulda been that dingo that got Linda's baby.

oldrider
7th July 2010, 10:05
Overseas criminals who read about this case will be flocking here for a safe haven.

Crime pays?.........Only in New Zealand, it seems! :shifty:

Edbear
7th July 2010, 10:41
While I could pick a couple of holes in it, if we only go by the incontrovertible forensic evidence, there was no way Robin could do have done it. It's a sad indictment of our judicial system that trials can be conducted in the way David's was. Now that he has been aquitted I believe under NZ law he can never be retried again.

Swoop
7th July 2010, 10:55
Trial by media, again?
Even worse, it is the tvnz media.:thud:

CookMySock
7th July 2010, 11:09
[...] seems like at the retrial the jurors were only told about 1/3 of the story.Surely the police wouldn't do a thing like that?

Steve

Paul in NZ
7th July 2010, 11:09
I'm sick to death of the whole lot of them and the attention hungry media that follow them about. I'm sorry, I might just be a boring middle class honky twat but they seemed a right bunch of fringe dwelling fruit loops from day one....

motor_mayhem
7th July 2010, 11:32
that photocopier guy what was his motive for bullshitting

Well it seemed pretty clear he wasn't telling the truth, if he was, he should have fronted up and defended his "truth", against the two people who said otherwise. And that was clearly not his signature, his writing or his name on the photocopier sale documents.

Surely the police wouldn't do a thing like that?

Steve

No, They had a judge to make sure the jury only got half the story, such as not producing Cottle(?) even with a subpoena, but still choosing to read his 1994 (13yr+ old) affidavit to the jury

CookMySock
7th July 2010, 12:42
They had a judge to make sure the jury only got half the story, such as not producing Cottle(?) even with a subpoena, but still choosing to read his 1994 (13yr+ old) affidavit to the juryUgh, I'm glad I didn't see it. It's sad closure (if you can call it that) for that family. There was something horribly wrong there I'd say.

Lucky it's not my heart attack.

Steve

PrincessBandit
7th July 2010, 14:59
I was left thinking that overall he did a pretty smooth job of painting Robin as not responsible, but anyone can slant evidence or find stuff to support their agenda if that's the goal.
It certainly sounded convincing that Robin Bain couldn't have done it, but that doesn't mean David must've been guilty then.

I wonder if somewhere out there in the peaceful NZ country side a killer is sitting comfortable in the knowledge that two members of the family have copped the "blame".

HenryDorsetCase
7th July 2010, 15:57
It has always been my opinion that David Bain killed the family. He just had stellar lawyers, and lucked out with credulous numpties on the jury.

In fact there is a really good one page summary about it: its title was "Ten things you have to believe if you believe that Robin Bain murdered the family then topped himself" which ALL had to happen with millimetre precision.

Remember the Tui ad: Dad Did it while I was on my paper round.

neels
7th July 2010, 16:04
Come on people, we all know it was really Colonel Mustard in the Library with the lead pipe.

The murder suicide story was all just a cunning ploy by David to get free food and lodging for 13 years because he couldn't afford the rates bill on the family home on his paper round wages.

Bald Eagle
7th July 2010, 16:05
I thought it was all about the book sales and subsequent movie rights.

Katman
7th July 2010, 16:27
I thought it was all about the book sales and subsequent movie rights.

Pffft, what an attention seeker.

Grubber
7th July 2010, 16:34
Come on people, we all know it was really Colonel Mustard in the Library with the lead pipe.

The murder suicide story was all just a cunning ploy by David to get free food and lodging for 13 years because he couldn't afford the rates bill on the family home on his paper round wages.

Friggin priceless.....where do you fellas come up with this stuff. Laughing my arse off here!

scumdog
7th July 2010, 16:35
The guy on the grassy knoll did it...

Murray
7th July 2010, 16:37
It was Batman and Robin

maxlev
7th July 2010, 16:43
Seems Police are keen on reviewing misleading "Defense" evidence in Bain case
but so far not misleading "Crown" evidence in Watson case.

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/24610.html

Maha
8th July 2010, 16:22
I watched his brother and sister on TV last night, Sister looked familiar.....then I recognised where I had seen her before. She was in a NZ Band late 60's ealry 70's.
Anyone care to offer up a guess?

Clue:...it was a 'Hamilton' band.

oldrider
8th July 2010, 23:49
I watched his brother and sister on TV last night, Sister looked familiar.....then I recognised where I had seen her before. She was in a NZ Band late 60's ealry 70's.

Hamilton bluegrass? Was she the fiddler?

Maha
9th July 2010, 07:38
Hamilton bluegrass? Was she the fiddler?

The Hamilton County Bluegrass Band, yes exactly right John.

Berries
9th July 2010, 07:57
Was she the fiddler?
Careful now. You are getting in to libellous territory with this case.

JimO
9th July 2010, 08:23

trainspotter alert

Patrick
9th July 2010, 11:28
....I wonder if somewhere out there in the peaceful NZ country side a killer is sitting comfortable in the knowledge that two members of the family have copped the "blame".

Or the English countryside.......?

The Stranger
9th July 2010, 13:21
I was left thinking that overall he did a pretty smooth job of painting Robin as not responsible, but anyone can slant evidence or find stuff to support their agenda if that's the goal.

Well isn't that the goal of a defence lawyer? Looks like they did a great job of this. It couldn't possibly have been David because Robin dun it. Well if we remove Robin from the equation where do we stand?

PrincessBandit
9th July 2010, 13:53
Well isn't that the goal of a defence lawyer? Looks like they did a great job of this. It couldn't possibly have been David because Robin dun it. Well if we remove Robin from the equation where do we stand?

Well, like I said, it could remotely be possible that it wasn't either of them and that a very clever killer has managed to deflect any suspicion from themselves due to the seemingly dysfunctional nature of the Bain family. I also think it could be entirely possible that David did do it, but in a - what do they call it when epileptic patients have an episode.... - some kind of black-out where he was completely unaware of his actions.
And no, before someone lectures me about the medical things about epilepsy I am not suggesting for one second that there is a link to that, it was more bringing to attention the possibility of actions without conscious awareness (like sleepwalking etc.).

I guess the only person who knows for sure what happened on that day would be David if he did indeed commit the crime in full possession of his faculties.

Maha
9th July 2010, 14:10
Well, like I said, it could remotely be possible that it wasn't either of them and that a very clever killer has managed to deflect any suspicion from themselves due to the seemingly dysfunctional nature of the Bain family. I also think it could be entirely possible that David did do it, but in a - what do they call it when epileptic patients have an episode.... - some kind of black-out where he was completely unaware of his actions.
And no, before someone lectures me about the medical things about epilepsy I am not suggesting for one second that there is a link to that, it was more bringing to attention the possibility of actions without conscious awareness (like sleepwalking etc.).

I guess the only person who knows for sure what happened on that day would be David if he did indeed commit the crime in full possession of his faculties.

The killer had been wearing that god awful green home knitted jersey they found in the washing machine with Stevens blood on it, and we all know who wore the god awful jersey's in that family dont we.

The initial phone call made by David was also used as evidence against him in the first trial.

Hinny
10th July 2010, 00:43
The Sea Shepherd thread illustrated quite succinctly how some people have different realities - see things through different eyes. The interpretations offered up by some after actually watching the film was quite astounding. Like their eyes weren't connected properly to their brains. Like Nelson Mandela's assessment of George Bush Jnr. " He can't think properly". More people than I COULD POSSIBLY IMAGINE SAW
The audio expert that passed judgment on the call David made that was excluded from the trial. Clearly six syllables which has been interpreted as "I shot the prick, I shot..." He thought David had said "I can't". That guy is from Tasmania. Either he is not a native Australian or people from Tasmania are different to the rest of the population. As is commonly believed 'all Australians are bloody liars' and they are consumate and convincing in their lying. That guy was neither. He seemed very reticent about making that statement. Shifty eyed and nervous. How do you possibly interpret six syllables as ' I Can't.' Maybe he left out a few. Maybe he meant to say "I'm a can't".

scumdog
10th July 2010, 08:45
The Sea Shepherd thread illustrated quite succinctly how some people have different realities - see things through different eyes. The interpretations offered up by some after actually watching the film was quite astounding. Like their eyes weren't connected properly to their brains. Like Nelson Mandela's assessment of George Bush Jnr. " He can't think properly". More people than I COULD POSSIBLY IMAGINE SAW
The audio expert that passed judgment on the call David made that was excluded from the trial. Clearly six syllables which has been interpreted as "I shot the prick, I shot..." He thought David had said "I can't". That guy is from Tasmania. Either he is not a native Australian or people from Tasmania are different to the rest of the population. As is commonly believed 'all Australians are bloody liars' and they are consumate and convincing in their lying. That guy was neither. He seemed very reticent about making that statement. Shifty eyed and nervous. How do you possibly interpret six syllables as ' I Can't.' Maybe he left out a few. Maybe he meant to say "I'm a can't".

Stop drinking!

Or punctuate a little more.

Hinny
10th July 2010, 10:32
That's being a bit harsh. One little slip in the darkness. Too tired to be bothered editing it.
Give me a break.
At least I am operating with an open mind.

I'm going to work.

ynot slow
10th July 2010, 11:08
How could they get a jury for last trial who knew nothing of the episode as well,unless they were young.

Still in my mind the old man did it,David arrived home to carnage and shot the father in rage/etc.

maxlev
10th July 2010, 11:10
doco did not mention bloody footprints in hallway
too small to be big ears
old man had no blood on socks
who left the footprints?

maxlev
10th July 2010, 11:10
double post

Gareth51
10th July 2010, 12:31
Or the English countryside.......?

Willl be a case for Barnaby then

oldrider
10th July 2010, 14:02
Focus all on A and B while unseen C still goes free? The plot thickens!

freedom-wedge
10th July 2010, 14:07

Whys it always gotta be Mustard I mean Sheesh come on

Patrick
11th July 2010, 21:18
doco did not mention bloody footprints in hallway
too small to be big ears
old man had no blood on socks
who left the footprints?

In the wash with the bloody jersey......?

Swoop
11th July 2010, 21:46
...and we all know who wore the god awful jersey's in that family dont we.
It would appear the whole lot of them are/were knitwear fanatics.
Scary stuff. Haven't they discovered synthetics in the deep south?

Virago
11th July 2010, 21:47
It would appear the whole lot of them are/were knitwear fanatics.
Scary stuff. Haven't they discovered synthetics in the deep south?

We love our sheep...

Swoop
11th July 2010, 21:51
We love our sheep...
So do I... when they emerge from the oven surrounded by vegetables!:yes:

This double post thing is annoying, but I had a double quote notification from that. Spank has some work to do around the place...

Hinny
14th July 2010, 10:02
and we all know who wore the god awful jersey's in that family dont we.

I found it interesting that Mrs Bain had knitted the jerseys to David's design.
Were those designs indicative of his mental state.
Like an hallucinogenic vomit. Maybe he was on P.

oldrider
14th July 2010, 10:28
I wonder if David Bain is confident enough of his innocence to sit a lie detector test, for Joe Karam's eyes only? :shutup:

I would be happy to contribute to funding for that! :yes:

Her_C4
14th July 2010, 10:48
I wonder if David Bain is confident enough of his innocence to sit a lie detector test, for Joe Karam's eyes only? :yes:

With the aim of what? David has lived his version of reality so long that from his perspective, his 'truth' is the only story. A lie dectector won't pick up any nuances (ie changes in pulse, perspiration etc). if he truely believes he is innocent surely?

jim.cox
14th July 2010, 11:19
Maybe he was on P.

Unlikely - that stuff wasn't around much then

However given the state of hygene (or lack thereof) in the house, some have speculated about the possiblity of ergot poisoning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergot

oldrider
14th July 2010, 12:04
With the aim of what? David has lived his version of reality so long that from his perspective, his 'truth' is the only story. A lie dectector won't pick up any nuances (ie changes in pulse, perspiration etc). if he truely believes he is innocent surely?

With the aim of what? Just thinking out loud and sharing.

Unless there was an unknown third party involved "David" is the only person alive who knows the truth!

Joe Karam believes in his (Davids) "innocence" so absolutely and has cost himself (Joe) and New Zealand millions as a consequence of that belief!

I think it would be good thing for Karam to know the true value of his costly beliefs, does David "really" share that conviction!

If he does, he should have nothing to fear!

PS: There are still five murders yet to be solved, do we just walk away from that and say she'll be right then?

Hinny
14th July 2010, 12:28
Wasn't one of the Parnell Panther's alibis that the bloody footprints found at the scene of the crime were too small to be his. He was convicted . . . because he did it.