PDA

View Full Version : Socks!

FzerozeroT
29th May 2005, 08:11
What socks do you use/recommend for riding?

I use Rio dress socks from the warehouse ($9 for a pack of five) although I've recently got a pair that are thin thermal calf length socks for $3 (Warehouse again)

I like thin socks when I'm riding, feels more direct.

XTC
29th May 2005, 08:18
We get supplied socks at work. Nice big long wooly ones. They work great and I have socks coming out my ears.... can you picture that? makes it hard to hear :o

TonyB
29th May 2005, 08:31
At Countdown and Woolworths at the mo, they are selling 'work' socks. There's two types- ones more dressy and the other ones a bit thicker. I go for the thicker ones. $6.95 for three pairs!
I've got various tramping socks, polyprop, wool blend- you name it. Some of them cost $18+ for 1 pair. The cheap socks from Countdown are THE warmest socks I own. I now have 9 pairs...

John
29th May 2005, 09:05
I use my tramping socks - helped save my ankles on more than one occasion - they have 02 on the side of them from memory they cost about 22$ a pair.

Motu
29th May 2005, 10:37
Fox MotoX socks,fantastic socks,but they make your feet sweat in the heat.They are doing one now that comes up your thigh,I'll get some of those next because the knee guard straps are not nice against the skin.

FROSTY
29th May 2005, 10:55
ANOTHER CASE OF COMPROMISED SAFETY. I only wear geniune standards approved socks. I currently use AGV brand socks which meet all international standards.Ive just ordered a couple of pairs of Bell socks from the US but Im unsure if they pass all required NZ standards -Anybody able to clarify that for me????

mangell6
29th May 2005, 11:14
Socks depend on the weather. Winter time and long distance I use 'possum fur and wool' socks, tramping type. Having 'cold feet' reduces feeling so I work on having warm feet with feeling.

Going to work on the bike I wear normal 'work socks', as I am a tie wearer :( usual socks maen I can't wear my shiny work shoes.

John
29th May 2005, 11:15
ANOTHER CASE OF COMPROMISED SAFETY. I only wear geniune standards approved socks. I currently use AGV brand socks which meet all international standards.Ive just ordered a couple of pairs of Bell socks from the US but Im unsure if they pass all required NZ standards -Anybody able to clarify that for me????
Sarcasm kills kittens frosty kittens

FROSTY
29th May 2005, 11:26
whose being sarcastic.????
Actuallly it was an april fools joke in one of the bike clubs I belonged to

LB
29th May 2005, 14:46
I've got several pair of Icebreaker socks of various thicknesses. They are 100% NZ Merino wool, not cheap but very good. In really cold weather (if I choose to ride) I wear a pair of Silkbody silk socks under my thickest Icebreakers.

In summer I wear Landsown Run wool socks, or if it's slightly cooler my thinner Icebreakers.

Yarg
29th May 2005, 17:03
Wool socks with a bit possum thrown in for winter riding. :ride:

Blackbird
29th May 2005, 19:43

Yep, they're the ones all right :niceone: Lynda and Mangell6 recommended them for the Southern Cross and they lived up th their reputation.

Kickaha
29th May 2005, 20:17

Where from?

Blackbird
30th May 2005, 09:02
Where from?

Here's where I got mine from http://www.outdoorsman.co.nz/ and they also stock Icebreaker pure merino undershirts, but a good outdoor shop in Chch should stock them.

Geoff

bugjuice
30th May 2005, 09:06
for a more 'direct' feel, ever try putting something like moisteriser between your toes before you go on a ride.. bizarre feeling at first, but then quickly feels good

and I'm not a freek.

vifferman
30th May 2005, 09:10
This is a weird thread.

I just wear socks. Ordinary socks.

Haven't yet worn the lovely, soft merino wool socks that came free (FREE!) with my Style Martian boots.
Apart from skiing, I think.
Mebbe.
Not sure.

But then, I've only had them about three years.:whistle:

As for "standards approved" and like that there - I've crash-tested my boots, and they worked well, despite the fact I was just wearing ornery sox under them, not StandardsApprovedExtra-SpecialSafetyCrashingSocks.

Lou Girardin
30th May 2005, 09:11
My socks have a ram-air system, got to be worth a few extra hp.

Blackbird
30th May 2005, 10:37
for a more 'direct' feel, ever try putting something like moisteriser between your toes before you go on a ride.. bizarre feeling at first, but then quickly feels good

and I'm not a freek.

I thought coming from Auckland was the same thing :rofl:

Beemer
30th May 2005, 11:24
Possum fur and merino for winter can't be beaten - and if you pair them with some possum fur innersoles, bliss! I've been using the same pair of possum fur innersoles for about three years and they are still as thick and warm as they were when I bought them. Cost about $28 from memory, but well worth it for the warmth. I find my feet don't get sticky with possum fur, and they don't smell either - unlike lambswool. The innersoles have never flattened or worn either and because they aren't bulky, they don't make my boots any tighter.

sedge
30th May 2005, 17:53
Thin socks, moisturiser ?... WTF ? I wear the ones thick enough so my feet don't fall off in the cold, am I the weird one ?

Last time I rode down the Desert road I wore Possum ones that cost $30 odd and they were awesome... (it was 2am and the middle of winter, so a bit chilly out, but the feet were OK)

Moisturiser ? Bwahahhaha... Sorry, had to say that... I try not to look at my giant curling clawlike talons and hairy wookie feet let alone put my hands near them.

Sedge.

eldog
26th June 2015, 20:28
anyone with any further ideas about winter riding socks?

awa355
26th June 2015, 20:44
You can get HiViz socks these days for the PC brigade. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maha
26th June 2015, 20:45

Motomail has these ---> http://motomail.co.nz/estore/style/rvpasocks.aspx

eldog
26th June 2015, 20:49

I especially have trouble with the tops of my feet in the cold, some times the toes.

thanks for the advice:niceone:

Bassmatt
27th June 2015, 09:53
Ive got a pair of those. Very comfy but seem to be wearing very quickly... they may well turn out to be the first revit product I have been disappointed with.

pete376403
27th June 2015, 12:00

http://www.skiboots.com/Lenz_Heat_Sock_1_0_p/1015.htm

eldog
27th June 2015, 12:08
http://www.skiboots.com/Lenz_Heat_Sock_1_0_p/1015.htm

intriguing

Mike.Gayner
27th June 2015, 12:10

You would have to me at least mildly retarded to spend $70 on socks.

Tazz
27th June 2015, 12:15
https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/5FSC1N5SN/title/fox-river-snow-pack-socks---2-pack

Moi
27th June 2015, 12:19
These keep the piggies toasty...

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Alpsocks-Men%27s-Thermal-Wool-Blend-Socks?SKU=285202#base

Moi
27th June 2015, 12:20

My health insurance just paid $8000+ for a pair of socks for me...

eldog
27th June 2015, 12:22

I must be retarded then, no wonder I don't have friends. :facepalm:

I have knee high adventure boots, short normal socks don't cut it.

the Revit socks work.

The summer ones are good for summer (go figure) but I find they don't keep parts of my feet warm in winter.
I have a pair of winter ones, which are really good if its really cold. But I get very hot if I stop for long(30 seconds).

The socks are really good you can use them on long trips several times, before they need washing and they don't seem to take long to dry.

I am looking for a pair sort of in between or something I can regulate the temp.

The tops of my feet get cold at present, while the rest remains toasty warm.
much like the tips of my fingers, even when I ride with my winter gloves.

and no I am not getting a different pair of boots, and I put Snoseal on them and my gloves.

Tazz - I will pop into the Torpedo7 store and take a look - never been there

Moi - you got paid $8000 for Warehouse socks? Is there a cue? where do I sign up for those socks?
(I suspect you are talking a hospital visit type of compression sock?)

Tazz
27th June 2015, 12:37

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Alpsocks-Men%27s-Thermal-Wool-Blend-Socks?SKU=285202#base

Ahh nice. I have a few pairs of those but thought I got them at LWR (which is closed now :() They do the trick.

Moi
27th June 2015, 13:07
Moi - you got paid $8000 for Warehouse socks? Is there a cue? where do I sign up for those socks?
(I suspect you are talking a hospital visit type of compression sock?)

No and yes...

Moi
27th June 2015, 13:09
Ahh nice. I have a few pairs of those but thought I got them at LWR (which is closed now :() They do the trick.

They also have some merino type socks which I have not tried... you could be the guinea piggy... :lol:

Maha
27th June 2015, 13:15

A cheaper option @ $45 http://motomail.co.nz/estore/style/draksox.aspx

Tazz
27th June 2015, 13:19
I have knee high adventure boots, short normal socks don't cut it.
Tazz - I will pop into the Torpedo7 store and take a look - never been there

Rugby socks will suit boots like that. Sadly I used to get those at LWR too damnit. And thermals.
I'm hardly on the shopaholic level that Mike is, but man I miss that place!

Not sure how long that sale lasts (there are 2 other ones worth looking at on sale too, same brand), but they do have a bit of a range of ski socks by the looks. Going to give them a nudge instead of forking out for those waterproof ones which I can't see working that well.

They also have some merino type socks which I have not tried... you could be the guinea piggy... :lol:

Happily! Can't have too many socks like that. I've even managed to pull them off with suit pants occasionally :laugh:

Maha
27th June 2015, 13:20

Awesome socks, I have had a few pairs of them over the years, always have two pair in stock.

eldog
27th June 2015, 13:23
I wonder if there is a bamboo material type of sock I can wear under my riding socks.
much like a silk feel without the slipperiness. could be dreaming :crazy:

I also have several pairs of Norsewood work socks, but my feet cook on the bike.

Might go for look tomorrow at the Torpedo, Cycletread and Motomail shops.
Seeing as the bike is still all over the floor (lazy bugger I am)

Maha
27th June 2015, 13:28
I wonder if there is a bamboo material type of sock I can wear under my riding socks.
much like a silk feel without the slipperiness. could be dreaming :crazy:

I also have several pairs of Norsewood work socks, but my feet cook on the bike.

Might go for look tomorrow at the Torpedo, Cycletread and Motomail shops.
Seeing as the bike is still all over the floor (lazy bugger I am)

Anne has bamboo long johns, swears by them. Got them at some outdoor place in Taupo.

An outlet on the North Shore http://bambootextiles.co.nz/

eldog
27th June 2015, 13:32
Anne has bamboo long johns, swears by them. Got them at some outdoor place in Taupo.

bugger hate shopping except for mbike stuff. Not travelling to Taupo for socks. never know who I might run into there. :lol:

google might be my friend and I will look for this type of stuff. I have heard of bamboo shirts/thermals, haven't seen any long john or socks.

'worth a crack nigel' cheers Mark

Maha
27th June 2015, 13:33
bugger hate shopping except for mbike stuff. Not travelling to Taupo for socks. never know who I might run into there.

google might be my friend and I will look for this type of stuff. I have heard of bamboo shirts thermals, haven't seen any long john or socks.

'worth a crack nigel' cheers Mark

I added a link for you in my previous post.

eldog
27th June 2015, 13:38
I added a link for you in my previous post.

Yes I saw it. I was just getting all excited I could ride my bike there, then remembered what condition its in. and I cant ride at present as well - small error on my part - will see if swelling goes down on Monday:brick:.

I do like checking stuff out on the web (thanks for the link - I checked it out)
but I like actually seeing/feeling stuff I am going to buy - old fashioned I guess.

Maha - Check out post #32 above

I sort of want a heated or halfway sock, the Revit does work with the channels and left and right hand socks, but you have to be careful they don't catch on any Velcro as the pull, they are hard wearing and feel great. and only need a wash when they start feeling prickly, something about Silver in them or somesuch.

I am going to go and look and see.

James Deuce
27th June 2015, 15:07
Holy fucking thread dredge.

Bamboo socks? There's about 800 manufacturers making them, including Jockey.

FFS.

eelracing
27th June 2015, 15:53
Google sox.co.nz
Try the possum socks.Warm and toasty.

mossy1200
27th June 2015, 17:06
One word for Honda riders.

Mantyhose. :tugger:

eldog
27th June 2015, 18:38
Holy fucking thread dredge.

Bamboo socks? There's about 800 manufacturers making them, including Jockey.

FFS.

I don't get out much.

i work between 60 and 80+ each week.

and what's wrong with asking KBers saves all the stuffing around and getting the wrong items.

better than all the threads with people just abusing each other, (a big reason people get turned off on KB) :wacko:this is about mbikes.

FJRider
27th June 2015, 18:41
... this is about mbikes.

And you're talking sox .... :wacko:

Mom
27th June 2015, 18:45
One word for Honda riders.

Mantyhose. :tugger:

Mankini's all the way :headbang:

eldog
27th June 2015, 18:45
And you're talking sox .... :wacko:

Worn on and during use of mbike.

i stopped wearing jandals a while back, along with no helmet, even though it was cool:rockon:

eldog
27th June 2015, 18:46

A bright green one for Maha:rolleyes:

FJRider
27th June 2015, 18:57
Worn on and during use of mbike.

i stopped wearing jandals a while back, along with no helmet, even though it was cool:rockon:

Silly me ... totally understand ... ;)

FJRider
27th June 2015, 18:59

You wear one too ... ?? <_<

mossy1200
27th June 2015, 19:21
You wear one too ... ?? <_<

Im not sure how they are wearing them on their feet. Maybe like jandals ?

"a light sandal with a thong between the big and second toe; a flip-flop."

FJRider
27th June 2015, 19:34
Im not sure how they are wearing them on their feet. Maybe like jandals ?

"a light sandal with a thong between the big and second toe; a flip-flop."

The post I referred too was "Mom"s" ... and was in regard to her love of the Mankini ...

Read the posts you reply to please ... (I do not always either ... much to MY [later] embarrissment ...) but I do think a Mankini is NOT worn anywhere NEAR the feet ... :calm:

eldog
27th June 2015, 19:38
The post I referred too was "Mom"s" ... and was in regard to her love of the Mankini ...

Read the posts you reply to please ... (I do not always either ... much to MY [later] embarrissment ...) but I do think a Mankini is NOT worn anywhere NEAR the feet ... :calm:

ROFL - FJRider
maybe Mom has a Mankini or Bikini, i dont know or want to know.
funny how this thread was about sox.

looks like I will try bamboo socks under the Revit summer ones.

mossy1200
27th June 2015, 19:41

Correct and Moms post was a progression from mine about mantyhose as a form of socks which is what the post was about. I don't get your point. I asked if mankinis could be worn like jandals as also contain the thong design not unlike a jandal.

FJRider
27th June 2015, 19:44
ROFL - FJRider
maybe Mom has a Mankini or Bikini, i dont know or want to know.
funny how this thread was about sox.

looks like I will try bamboo socks under the Revit summer ones.

Personally ... I've always gone with woollen sox.

But I'm OLD school ... and I've survived so far ... :shutup:

Mom's dress preference is NOT my concern ... or interest ... but pic's or it didn't/doesn't happen ... :shifty:

eldog
27th June 2015, 19:44
Correct and Moms post was a progression from mine about mantyhose as a form of socks which is what the post was about. I don't get your point. I asked if mankinis could be worn like jandals as also contain the thong design not unlike a jandal.

ROFOL..... I suppose you could, but only in the Sth Is I suppose. I dont have one so I dont know.:laugh:

James Deuce
27th June 2015, 19:45
I don't get out much.

i work between 60 and 80+ each week.

and what's wrong with asking KBers saves all the stuffing around and getting the wrong items.

better than all the threads with people just abusing each other, (a big reason people get turned off on KB) :wacko:this is about mbikes.

I don't like you.

FJRider
27th June 2015, 19:46

You think I should (always) have a point to my post ... :killingme ...

Read more of my posts to reveal the truth ... :whistle:

eldog
27th June 2015, 19:49
Personally ... I've always gone with woollen sox.

But I'm OLD school ... and I've survived so far ... :shutup:

Mom's dress preference is NOT my concern ... or interest ... but pic's or it didn't/doesn't happen ... :shifty:

I have Woollen socks too, I used to wear them everyday when I was on the factory floor.
Now if I wear them, they are too hot and my feet cook.

like my hands, my feet regulate my body temp.

similar to my lower back, if my lower back gets cold and sweaty I know I will get a cold the next day, even though the rest of me is snug warm. Hence I am building up good gear I know I can easily add to/remove during a ride.

I am keen to know when your going to post some pics. I still am a bit stupid when it comes to posting pics here, there seems to be several ways but i got no idea (dumb)

mossy1200
27th June 2015, 19:51
You think I should (always) have a point to my post ... :killingme ...

Read more of my posts to reveal the truth ... :whistle:

Searching for mankini pix I have not been able to find any made for dwarfs so im assuming you would need shrink them to use as footwear or in fact be a giant or bigfoot.

One thing I did find was even more disturbing.

eldog
27th June 2015, 19:53
I don't like you.

i didnt ask you to.

by the way, i often have read threads with some of your posts and i generally agree with them.
you ask good questions and seem sensible.

but it doesnt matter.

I have often been down in your neck of the woods, its a great riding area. I like that whole area.

no offence taken. but i will wave as you pass.

sorry if i wasted your valuable time.

FJRider
27th June 2015, 20:08
I have Woollen socks too, I used to wear them everyday when I was on the factory floor.
Now if I wear them, they are too hot and my feet cook.

like my hands, my feet regulate my body temp.

similar to my lower back, if my lower back gets cold and sweaty I know I will get a cold the next day, even though the rest of me is snug warm. Hence I am building up good gear I know I can easily add to/remove during a ride.

I am keen to know when your going to post some pics. I still am a bit stupid when it comes to posting pics here, there seems to be several ways but i got no idea (dumb)

Not all woollen socks are created in the same thickness ... :msn-wink:

Layers are the key to comfort ... but don't be too lazy to add/remove a layer ... if the requirement is needed ... :msn-wink:

Those portions of your body most exposed to the direct cold ... do the most "Regulate" your body temperature ... (like your knee's/hands/toes)

I was dreading the pic's Mom might post of her (or Maha) wearing a Mankini ... but I'm sure Bogan might post his favourite of him in a Mankini ... he seems to that sort of fellow that would wear one ... :blank:

eldog
27th June 2015, 20:11
Not all woollen socks are created in the same thickness ... :msn-wink:

Layers are the key to comfort ... but don't be too lazy to add/remove a layer ... if the requirement is needed ... :msn-wink:

Those portions of your body most exposed to the direct cold ... do the most "Regulate" your body temperature ... (like your knee's/hands/toes)

I was dreading the pic's Mom might post of her (or Maha) wearing a Mankini ... but I'm sure Bogan might post his favourite of him in a Mankini ... he seems to that sort of fellow that would wear one ... :blank:

all my woollen socks are Norsewood working ones different types, with the occasional merino or possum one thrown in

I have tried the possum under the Revit socks not too bad, just wondered if there was something better
but top of feet still get cold-maybe due to boot has minimal insulation.
advice taken and i agree with you totally.
Wonder if Bogan is going to do any more bike mods?

FJRider
27th June 2015, 20:13
... Wonder if Bogan is going to do any more bike mods?

Personally ... I'd rather see them ... than him in a Mankini ... :pinch:

FJRider
27th June 2015, 20:16
... One thing I did find was even more disturbing.

YOU ... when you were younger ... right .. ??

mossy1200
27th June 2015, 20:17
YOU ... when you were younger ... right .. ??

I was a lot more manly back then you think?

Madness
27th June 2015, 20:19

Deffo.

eldog
27th June 2015, 20:21
Deffo.

'bout time you posted a selfie Madness
Justin Fidel?

FJRider
27th June 2015, 20:24

My only comment ... I hope you liked the look ... :shutup:

Madness
27th June 2015, 20:25

Wow. That's the wittiest thing I've ever read on the internet. Well done.

eldog
27th June 2015, 20:26
#2 red rep from Madness your good. why dont you go for a ride. if you dont have anything to offer.

Madness
27th June 2015, 20:28
#2 red rep from Madness your good. why dont you go for a ride. if you dont have anything to offer.

Why don't you get fucked? It's KB, not TradeMe.

FJRider
27th June 2015, 20:29

Aptly ... (self) named I guess ... ;)

mossy1200
27th June 2015, 20:33
Justin Fidel?

That's the worst photoshop I have seen.

FJRider
27th June 2015, 20:35

Just remember ... Mom is female ... and logical thinking (therefore) should not be anticipated ... ;)

FJRider
27th June 2015, 20:40
Deffo.

Deffo's your nick name ... or just the name as you're known by your family .. ?? :shutup:

Madness
27th June 2015, 20:42
Deffo's your nick name ... or just the name as you're known by your family .. ?? :shutup:

Come on FJ, you can do better than that... Oh, wait a minute,... as you were...

FJRider
27th June 2015, 20:46
Come on FJ, you can do better than that... Oh, wait a minute,... as you were...

I hope THAT is not your best shot at me ... Oh wait a minute ... as you were ... :motu:

98tls
27th June 2015, 20:48
Socks:clap:

Madness
27th June 2015, 20:48
I hope THAT is not your best shot at me ... Oh wait a minute ... as you were ... :motu:

That's more like it.

Retread.

FJRider
27th June 2015, 20:52
Retread.

Was it something I said ... ?? :innocent:

Madness
27th June 2015, 20:54
Was it something I said ... ?? :innocent:

Not anything in particular, just the 11,146 posts since September 1st 2007. n00b.

FJRider
27th June 2015, 21:01
Not anything in particular, just the 11,146 posts since September 1st 2007. n00b.

Want me to send a friend request .. ?? :scratch:

Madness
27th June 2015, 21:03
Want me to send a friend request .. ?? :scratch:

Sure. I'll ignore it. Sounds like fun...

eldog
27th June 2015, 21:34
Why don't you get fucked? It's KB, not TradeMe.

in your red rep calling me a Fuckwit is really big of you.

I have wit, yes
I had a fuck

so fuckwit is ok i guess.

have you only just figured this is Kiwibiker, did you not notice the big letters at the top of these pages?

and this is about sox

Madness
27th June 2015, 21:37
I had a fuck.

Really? Don't be telling fibs now.

eldog
27th June 2015, 21:40
Really? Don't be telling fibs now.
waiting for more red rep:wacko:

mossy1200
27th June 2015, 23:06
waiting for more red rep:wacko:

Wont be long before you have a music voucher or are you waiting for a new cordless phone?

My wife punishes me for being bad. Angry seks is the best. Just about time to fess up to buying a motocross helmet online when I don't even own a motocross bike YET! Safety first.

Katman
28th June 2015, 01:48
When did motorcycling become so fucking ghey?

Maha
28th June 2015, 09:06
I searched the question and have traced it back to the date/month and time ...15th February 2005 - 16:34.

Akzle
29th June 2015, 12:26
fucked if i'm reading a thread about socks. i'm too busy knitting mine...

(("NATO" socks, kiwi made, avail at the warehouse for 12-18$, i buy a few pairs every 7 or 8 years, not cos the old ones are worn out, just cos i like new socks and jacking off into the old ones gets a bit rough once the wool has lost it's woolliness - cue some hilarious joke from maha that i haven't heard before :rolleyes:))

husaberg
29th June 2015, 12:42

Erelyes
29th June 2015, 19:55
'Darn tough'. Available at your local warehouse. I only buy them for the awesomely punny product name.

Well, that, and they don't wear holes in the heel/toe like the Gold Tops I had last.

mossy1200
29th June 2015, 20:02
Still think socks and jandals shouldn't be worn together even when riding a scooter.

Moi
29th June 2015, 22:18
Still think socks and jandals shouldn't be worn together even when riding a scooter.

Gliding On...