PDA

View Full Version : Okay, call me ignorant, but...

riffer
21st November 2003, 12:54
what's a squid?

marty
21st November 2003, 13:32
what, apart from a smelly slimy sea creature?

bikerboy
21st November 2003, 13:35
CK I think you should handle this one.:D

Coldkiwi
21st November 2003, 13:46
cheers BB :D

Squid/ly/ish is used in reference to people (ok, 95% of the time guys) that ride the latest sports bikes and typically wear race replica gear etc. The closer the rider/bike look to a world superbike pole sitter, the more squidly they are! I guess there's some sort of performance aspect too but its at least half an image thing. Guys that ride older bikes real fast aren't really squidly I don't think (perhaps 'maniacs' or 'very talented'...CK recalls a certain individual on an 84 kawasaki on the last coromandel ride) they're just better than most of the squid riders who THINK they're fast!

I have no idea what it comes from but I think it originates from the UK

riffer
21st November 2003, 14:00
Thanks guys. I kinda thought it might be that.

Guess at 36, riding a 16 year old bike and 95 kilos I don't really count :p

matthewt
21st November 2003, 14:05
Sorry Ck, I think you'll find it comes from the US.

It refers to young riders that go out and buy an R1/fireblade as a first bike, wear t-shirts and shorts for protection and generally perform like a clown (wheelies/stoppies).

I first heard the term 10+ years ago on the internet (pre www days!!) in the rec.motorcycles newsgroup.

jrandom
21st November 2003, 14:10
I believe it has also been explained as an acronym for Stupid, QUick, Inevitably Dead. But I think that's an after-the-fact invention.

I think generally if you *can* walk the walk, particularly if you race or even just do trackdays, squidliness isn't considered to be an issue. Crashing on the road a lot isn't good if you want to avoid a squidly reputation.

Come to think of it, if I had a bigger bike and more colourful gear, *I'd* be a squid.

There's your definition :p

jrandom
21st November 2003, 14:11
cannot... resist... temptation...

must... make... 200th... post...

yay!

:2thumbsup

Coldkiwi
21st November 2003, 15:58
Well there we go, I've learnt something new today! Cheers matt and j!

Marmoot
22nd November 2003, 10:48
Huh.....so, basically, in terms of the car culture (which is now apparently quite popular) it would be either "rice" instead of race (refer to looks), or sounds more like the term "boyracers" on 2 wheels (refer to poor ability)? I think it's more like 2-wheeled boyracers then.....

I read "squid" quite a number of times in US magazines long ago. I've never thought it would get to NZ as well.

Timber020
24th November 2003, 20:54
Squid was in lingo back in my dirt flinging days. Was someone not particularly talented on a bike. We also called them gumbys

merv
25th November 2003, 18:23
Originally posted by celticno6
what's a squid?

I was surprised a number of my e-rider friends hadn't really heard this term, nor RUB (Rich Urban Biker).

Here's a definition page on squids found at http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squid - anyone fit these definitions?

10 definitions of squid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Squid
A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid'

also see stunta

We were suddenly passed by a chromed out R1 and then when we rounded the bend, we saw the squid wrapped around a tree, he'd probably be alive if he was wearing a helmet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Squid
"Skwid"

dick, penis

Brad's got bigger squid than Dagul.

Squid
"Skwid"
This one was posted already

S tupid
QU ick
I nevitably
D ead

Squid
"Skwid"

a sailor

The clubs are loaded with squids.

Squid
"Skwid"

A member of the Navy; usu. an endearing term.

...now there goes one salty squid!

Squid
"Skwid"

a pound or quid

I've got 200 squid in the bank

Squid
"Skwid"

95 % of Gixxer "thugs"

That dumbass gixxer rider is wearing sandals, shorts, and a tee. He's gonna rip his skin off when he crashes.

Squid
"Skwid"

That stupid kid who goes to abbott, he has a blue r1 and thinks it goes 350km/h

hey i never realized my speedo was fucked up. How embarasing. You mean a jet kit doesn't add 200hp. oh shit.

Squid
"Skwid"

Somebody who is intelligent can be taken as a complement or a insult, most likely a insult. Can also be called squide or squid of death.
Means the same as nerd or geek.

"Did you do your homework? Oh wait of course you did you SQUID!"

squid

A person in the navy; usually used in a derogitory manner. (But seriously people...since when has serving your country become a bad thing?)

He's a fucking squid!

merv
25th November 2003, 18:25
Myself I had always thought of squids as the rich inexperienced guy - you know the one - has all the latest gear, new bike and can't ride for crap so I hadn't thought of them as not wearing safety gear.

bluninja
25th November 2003, 19:54
I always thought a person in the navy was a skate (something to do with unnatural sexual practices with a fish).

Merv so what do you call an experienced rider with old tatty gear who can't ride for crap? (Harley riders, and some Ulysses mebers come to mind :p)

TTFN

danb
25th November 2003, 20:46
Originally posted by bluninja
[B]I always thought a person in the navy was a skate (something to do with unnatural sexual practices with a fish).

ROFl - Hey what can I say :D

merv
25th November 2003, 20:50
Originally posted by bluninja
Merv so what do you call an experienced rider with old tatty gear who can't ride for crap? (Harley riders, and some Ulysses mebers come to mind :p)TTFN

Dunno, maybe you'd just call them a slug and use them as a tail end charlie.

merv
25th November 2003, 21:02
I just found this comment on squids: Don't those that show up for a ride and then decide its time to eat and gas up piss you off just as the rest of the group thinks you'll finally get going? Mind you, they aren't as bad as those that run out of gas in the middle of nowhere about 20kms into a ride.

You are a Squid if you:
Don’t use a helmet cause the ‘chicks’ can’t see you. (Can't really do that one in NZ)
Complain that you go through a rear tire every 1000 miles but have never had to change the front.
Use your weight lifting gloves for protection.
Your chrome WWII helmet matches the frame of your bike.
Show up late for a group ride, insist on getting something to eat an remember you need gas as everyone is about to head out

and...

Put diesel in the tank.

LB
26th November 2003, 04:20
I must 'fess up to being one of the e-riders who'd never heard of squids and rubs. Just goes to show you can learn something every day!

Lynda

LB
26th November 2003, 04:23
Originally posted by merv
[/B]Show up late for a group ride, insist on getting something to eat and remember you need gas as everyone is about to head out

[/B]

Or what about just as everyone's putting their helmets on after a smoke stop, someone else decides to light up?? (note: I don't smoke)

Lynda

marty
26th November 2003, 09:25
Squid
"Skwid"

95 % of Gixxer "thugs"

That dumbass gixxer rider is wearing sandals, shorts, and a tee. He's gonna rip his skin off when he crashes.

.................................................. ........................................

and that's almost a guarantee.......

merv
26th November 2003, 11:39
At least in NZ with compulsory helmets dress standards on bikes usually looks safer to me than you see in USA. Maybe the heat has something to do with it, but I visited there a few times and was amazed to see guys riding sportsbikes in singlet tops, shorts and jandals with chicky-babes on the back dressed in next to nothing including no helmet. Was good to look at as a bystander but certainly easy to imagine what would happen if some SUV pulled out in front of them like the Yanks always seem to be bitching about. Gravel rash ...... bigtime.