PDA

View Full Version : Are you confident riding in the wet?

Matt Bleck
29th May 2005, 15:14
I was riding with the club today, mostly the roads where dry with wet patchs here in there, not too bad really.
Then on our way home just as we where heading into the Rotomas (the best bit!) it started to piss down.
We slowed for the conditions, as you do, but some, too what seems an extreme. Now I'm not knocking a person for riding to there limit.
But I wonder what these people could do to try and get confident. Do they ride in the wet as much as possible, or do they avoid it all together? Now I know there are many different variables, tyres, suspension etc, so please don't lecture me about that! What I guess I'm asking is

Are you confident riding in the wet?
And if so how did you become confident?
And if not what are you doing about it?

LB
29th May 2005, 15:19
I definitely prefer to NOT ride in the wet if I have a choice.

I find I get my confidence up as the ride goes on in the wet - I start out more hesitant and get faster as I kind of get used to it. Not that I really ride fast at all, let alone in the wet mind.

I am still very wary in the wet/rain, keep a very close eye on the road surface for diesel/shiny patches etc etc.

My Diablos give me the most confidence in the wet I've ever had in tyres (on both bikes)

XTC
29th May 2005, 15:21
Yes i'm confident riding in the wet but then I've been riding for 20 years and have experienced every kiind of wet we have... Newer riders may still be finding their way. learning just how much or how little grip they have in the wet. The important thing is not to fall off and if that means slowing down or stopping until summer arrives :) then so be it I suppose.

Sutage
29th May 2005, 15:26
I dont really find it much harder in the rain, i just go slower than my normal slow. it just pisses me off because my visor gets cover in rain, and i get wet
otherthing is visibility is much lower, cars dont see u even more, ill ride in the rain if i have to go out, but i wont say 'hey its raining lets go riding for the heck of it' like i do when its dry :D

John
29th May 2005, 15:26
Yea I'm happy in the wet - sure I dont have massive HP but I sometimes spin up the rear if I dont concentrate hard enough, I became confident due to need - the bike is all I have to get places so I just do it I guess, I've being out in torrentail rain where I couldnt see infront of myself for about 1metre so yea its good to know the roads as well.
Plus with all the off road riding I was used to sliding around and was not worried at all if it gets skittish.
If I wasnt confident about it I'd just head out in lighter rain and then heavy rain etc etc

nsrpaul
29th May 2005, 15:29
I quite like the wet , got wet wether confidence from racing at nelson street races , it nearly always rained , but I have noticed a huge difference between different tyres for wet wether grip , had pilot sports on one of my bikes and they were hopless but piliot powers on another were great

FROSTY
29th May 2005, 15:42
Confident yes.I love reading the road and feeling for the last litlle bit of grip from the tyres.
Racing wise I feel I have a definite edge racing in the rain.
happy about it --Nope --I just plum hate the wet hands heavy cold leathers etc-- Ohhh-and if ya leave your goood gloves in ya gear bag for two days--yuk green mould.

Sensei
29th May 2005, 16:06
Here in the Naki it rains alot so if you don't rain ride you leave your bike in the shed till Summer . I love the Rain rides teaches you to ride Smart by been smoother & how to use your brakes better & read the road .

Coyote
29th May 2005, 16:16
Wet riding is good fun. Hitting the gas around a corner and letting the rear slide out a bit is awesome. I can see myself getting killed though so I don't go out in the wet that often

johnsf1980
29th May 2005, 16:25
I dont let rain stop me from riding... Id much rather be riding on a nice sunny day tho :)

dhunt
29th May 2005, 16:27
Yip riding in the wet is fun. I don't particularly enjoy riding round town in the wet, but out of town that's a different story. It's great way to really get to know your bike and can make boring riding much more interesting especially when you add a bit of wind into the equation. :niceone:

Ixion
29th May 2005, 16:50
I was riding with the club today, mostly the roads where dry with wet patchs here in there, not too bad really.
Then on our way home just as we where heading into the Rotomas (the best bit!) it started to piss down.
We slowed for the conditions, as you do, but some, too what seems an extreme. Now I'm not knocking a person for riding to there limit.
But I wonder what these people could do to try and get confident. Do they ride in the wet as much as possible, or do they avoid it all together? Now I know there are many different variables, tyres, suspension etc, so please don't lecture me about that! What I guess I'm asking is

I've no problems with riding in the wet. What I do *NOT* like are the idiots on the road who don't adjust for the conditions (cages I mean, mostly). Riding in the rain can be very pleasant, if there's no other traffic. The other thing I don't like about wet riding is the bl**dy trucks.

You just have to adjust speed and braking allowances.

In the wet at night can be nerveracking though.

fliplid
29th May 2005, 16:56
Don't mind riding in the wet, years of experience in the bl**dy stuff when bike was sole transport. Take it smooth and easy with everything to get used to it, and adjust to the conditions. Best to have proper kit for the wet though...miserable doing distance when cold and wet!

Hitcher
29th May 2005, 16:59
Ah, wetness. My friend. Only today out in the wetness was I. And Mrs H. Together moistened were we. Jointly and separately. As was our want. Lovely.

James Deuce
29th May 2005, 17:04
Ah, wetness. My friend. Only today out in the wetness was I. And Mrs H. Together moistened were we. Jointly and separately. As was our want. Lovely.

Wont.

But a lovely thought nonetheless. ;)

Or are you trying to be clever, perhaps a sub-erotic phraseology to tittilate those who ride sans partner?

Rainbow Wizard
29th May 2005, 17:27
I've driven fast in my cage to keep up with a biker on the way to New Plymouth, I was amazed at how far he laid that thing over.

I'm OK with it on my bike but I have felt the backend let go a couple of times on seal that's suddenly different to everything I've been on up to that point; maybe a repair or something. Both times it was all over before I realised I was even sliding because it was the sudden grip afterwards that I noticed.

C'mon fellas, just how much do you hold back in the wet when lack of visibilty is not the issue?

FROSTY
29th May 2005, 17:30
Wont.

But a lovely thought nonetheless. ;)

Or are you trying to be clever, perhaps a sub-erotic phraseology to tittilate those who ride sans partner?
Dare I suggest it was a double entendre (sp) and a pretty darn good play on words too

James Deuce
29th May 2005, 17:37
Dare I suggest it was a double entendre (sp) and a pretty darn good play on words too

Wot I sayed.

You're speling woz perfick.

250learna
29th May 2005, 17:41
Wet riding is good fun. Hitting the gas around a corner and letting the rear slide out a bit is awesome. I can see myself getting killed though so I don't go out in the wet that often

erm i dont mind riding in the wet thanks to my gears (boots arent waterproof but if tucked in dont get much on them), and well i like riding all the time :ride: but loss of traction in the corners is not my idea of fun... :no: im not that confident...not yet :devil2:

Skyryder
29th May 2005, 17:41
Don't mind the wet. Hate when the rain has just started and roads are greasy. That's the bad time when all the shit and dirt has not been washed away. Good tyres in the wet and with all the dirt gone there is actually very little difference. I tend to be more aware of the revs in the wet. Keep the revs up and with good tyres and tread bike will track properly and not drift. If you start to drift in the wet get down a gear fast.

Skyryder

Hitcher
29th May 2005, 18:01
Wot I sayed.

Gah. And Gahhhh!

madboy
29th May 2005, 18:14
I use the bike for commuting so the rain experience is not unknown to me. I'm quite indifferent to it for commuting where I know the roads well, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to go out for a recreational ride in the wet. I do slow down considerably on the commute, mainly cos there seems to be so much crap/oil/diesel on the roads to work. I can guarantee you 3 wet days out of 5 there will be a slick at some point between the bottom of the gorge and the top. Not my idea of fun on a sportsbike. And since dropping it is no where on my priority list, I'll put my hand up for being a pussy.

But I've got to admit, getting a bit of wheelspin from 8000rpm onward in 2nd is fun - when I'm expecting it!!

My own question to the more learned riders - what's the deal with drying conditons, like it's been raining and now it's drying out. Obviously I've been taught to ride in the wheel tracks, either left or right, and avoid the centre (okay, except for high winds). But when a dry line starts forming, I usually find the centre drys before the wheel tracks. What sorta grip levels would be on offer here? Should I stay in the wheel tracks (wet) or the centre crap (drying)???

Sensei
29th May 2005, 18:43
Me personaly would do the dry strips just for the fact there could be oil / gravel etc on the wet bits

Two Smoker
29th May 2005, 18:57
1:Are you confident riding in the wet?
2:And if so how did you become confident?
3:And if not what are you doing about it?

1: Yes i am
2: Im very stupid, but it seems im a smooth rider, hence no worries about getting my knee down in the rain
3: trying to get faster, sliding is fun...

Coyote
29th May 2005, 19:01
erm i dont mind riding in the wet thanks to my gears (boots arent waterproof but if tucked in dont get much on them), and well i like riding all the time :ride: but loss of traction in the corners is not my idea of fun... :no: im not that confident...not yet :devil2:
I like the loss of traction. It reminds me of doing motard. Not once did I race on a clear and dry day

SpankMe
29th May 2005, 19:03
<table align="center"><tr><td> Yes
By experience. Don't be a fair weather rider</td></tr></table>

Motu
29th May 2005, 19:45
I'm pretty confident in the wet,but then I've done a lot of miles in the wet.With the tyres I run I have to be on my toes,but then I like that...

A tip for those who get a bit worried about an almost wet road - like,is it wet enough to be slippery or not?.....gently try out a white line,any slip you feel will be momentary,but give you an idea of how much water is on the road.

Toast
29th May 2005, 20:07
I used to be confident riding in the wet back when I commuted 100kms every day on my 250 and got pissed on without fail, nearly every day. After not doing it as much due to a few run ins with those deathly slippery road repairs, I've kidna gone off going hard in the rain.

Which begs another question...is that the only stuff they can use to repair the roads? With all of the bullshit, OTT rules that OSH (OHS?) put in to the workplace, you'd think that something which can bring a bike down in a second if it's hit such that both wheels track on it would be considered a bit of a safety hazard...no?

Ixion
29th May 2005, 20:12
I..
Which begs another question...is that the only stuff they can use to repair the roads? With all of the bullshit, OTT rules that OSH (OHS?) put in to the workplace, you'd think that something which can bring a bike down in a second if it's hit such that both wheels track on it would be considered a bit of a safety hazard...no?

A few years ago I corresponded at length about this with LTSA, Transit and ACC. Conclusion was, they all admit it's lethal for motorcycles, and none of them give a shit. Official line from *ALL* government departments amounts to motorcycles should not be on the roads, and if something kills off a few bikers, so much the better. Cages don't have a problem with it , that's the end of the story. Same as the cheese cutters.

Odin
29th May 2005, 20:20
I do take it a bit easy in the wet but aren't scared of it. I actually dislike the newly laid stone seal more.

Teflon
29th May 2005, 20:25
For me, it depends on the tyres i have on.

Biff
29th May 2005, 20:26
I'm a perv (no shock there), I love riding in the rain. Heavy rain though. Not that light drizzly stuff that clings to your visor. As long as I've got my water proofs on so I'm dry and warm, grrrrrreat.

Fresh rain on greasy roads is a bit sphincter clenching though.

The rain on my helmet reminds me of the noise you hear in a tent when camping. :ride:

NhuanH
29th May 2005, 21:01
Wot I sayed.

Hey! I thought I had the whole ESOL thing freehold round these parts :whistle: The anti-Grammarian, if you please.

i've got my upbringing on my side...

Jeremy
29th May 2005, 21:04
I'm use to riding in the rain on roads with oil slicks all over them so it doesn't worry me too much. I dislike riding though when it rains so much that you can't see the white divider line on the road.

Pwalo
29th May 2005, 21:31
Yes. Practice.

zadok
30th May 2005, 12:41
I don't mind the wet weather, but I slow down and don't lean into corners so much.

Motoracer
30th May 2005, 13:00
I go through the following cycle.

1 - Being a pussy.
2 - Being confident.
3 - Being cocky.
4 - Crash!
5 - Start from one again.

I gotta get out of this cycle and know how to race on the edge with out going further than step 2...

Big Dave
30th May 2005, 13:26
I go OK in the wet - just slower and more upright.

pritch
30th May 2005, 13:55
Just did a group ride (Ulysses) to Waingaro and back. Wet roads, some very, nearly all the way up from New Plymouth and rain most of the way back. The bit across from Ngaurawahia to the hot springs looked like it might be fun in the dry but it was a bit tense in the wet; very winding and quite slippery.
We all had times where the bike sort of did its own thing...

Which is my main problem with trips in the rain, you just can't relax at all.
The good news is that you get much better fuel consuption figures :-)

As an aside we got pulled up by a cop who pointed out that he had clocked one of the group at 126kph but he didn't know which rider it was.
He appraised us of the views of society regarding motor cyclists (nothing new there) and the fact that he objected to scraping up raspberry jam from the road. Fortunately everybody managed to look contritre and kept their collective mouth shut. When he had said his piece he left and we proceeded in a relatively sedate manner. I should point out that the group was not travelling at 126 in the rain, I suspect tail-end charlie may have been playing catchup. 100 to 110 was more normal depending on the degree of damp.

Wolf
30th May 2005, 14:04
The wet road is not really a problem - I just reduce speed and allow more for braking, be cautious applying the brakes etc.

Visibility is the issue for me - not so bad in light to moderate rain but heavy downpours are awful. I'm used to looking quite a distance ahead so sudden drops in visibility are disconcerting.

I'm also mindful that I am less visible to others as well.

Moderate to heavy rain at night is an absolute bastard - rotten visibility compounded by the "silver curtain" - the wall of water reflecting the headlamps straight back at you. As the raindrops are bigger than fog droplets, a lot more light is reflected back.

ManDownUnder
30th May 2005, 14:53
Yes - confident enough in my own abilities to read the road surface and conditions, and ride within acceptable bounds so I stay bubble side up.

Experience... years of it.

I don;t claim to be able to race in the wet- I can't race at all... but I ride on the road - and I am good at it.

Experience... nothing beats it.
MDU

TonyB
30th May 2005, 14:54
Strangely I prefer riding when it's bucketing down to riding when it's just drizzling, or even if the road is mostly dry with wet patches. I HATE riding in the ultra-fine misty drizzle we get down here in Canterbury- very hard to see, if you forget to pledge your visor it just builds up and it's like trying to see through a windblown lake LOL.

I definitely ride better on a wet road if I've already ridden some distance in the dry and am in 'the zone', rather than starting the ride in the wet. Guess it just proves it's all up here :weird:

ManDownUnder
30th May 2005, 15:08
...if you forget to pledge your visor...

Pledge?? Gotta try that - ta!
MDU

Ixion
30th May 2005, 15:12
Pledge?? Gotta try that - ta!
MDU

Works well, except that at night in VERY fine rain, it tends to cause starring, cos instead of tiny drops on the visor that you can look round, the water spreads out and makes a big flat drop. But once you get a bit more rain the water forms a sort of sheet and it's easy to see again. I use it on the windscreen blade too.

Lou Girardin
30th May 2005, 15:20
It's like a cold swim, OK once you're in. If I have to ride in the rain, I prefer it on the open road. I can do without it in the 'burbs.

vifferman
30th May 2005, 15:40
If I have to ride in the rain, I prefer it on the open road. I can do without it in the 'burbs.
Yeah, me too. The roads are (generally) less slippery, the fairing affords more protection when travelling at speed, and the rain tends to blow off the helmet visor.
But given the choice, I'd rather not ride in the rain at all.

Motig
30th May 2005, 15:45
Years of riding to work in all weathers, didn't worry about the rain cause you just had to get there rain or shine. Confident- never. Remember the saying- Theres Old Riders and Bold Riders but bugger all Old Bold Riders.
Plus aqua- planing across a one-lane bridge (in a car) a few years ago made me realise I'm not indestructible (its an age thing) :drinkup:

That Guy
30th May 2005, 16:25
I go through the following cycle.

1 - Being a pussy.
2 - Being confident.
3 - Being cocky.
4 - Crash!
5 - Start from one again.

I gotta get out of this cycle and know how to race on the edge with out going further than step 2...

Ha! me too. Although I'm more like:

1 - Being a pussy.
2 - Crash!
3 - Start from one again.

LB
31st May 2005, 02:57
I do love the feeling when the rain stops and the road dries out and you start to see blue sky coming through the clouds, and I speed up because the surface is dry.....!!!!!

Motoracer
31st May 2005, 11:37
Ha! me too. Although I'm more like:

1 - Being a pussy.
2 - Crash!
3 - Start from one again.

Ha, yea right! Once you get into F2, I'm sure you'll be overtaking me on the inside going sideways in the wet to get ahead of me. You motocross guys are mad like that! :niceone:

Quasievil
31st May 2005, 11:42
yeah Im fairly confident in the wet, to me the big issue is I just hate riding in the wet, ie I personally get wet and it aint as much fun. And in the winter you get wet you get cold, double bummer !!

phantom
31st May 2005, 11:48
not really confident in the rain yet, I've really only got back into riding after 20 odd years away but the rain doesn't put me off ( got plenty on Sunday on the way to and from Sam's other memorial ride ) just makes me more cautious. New rear tyre will help ( theoretically going on now - then I can get a warrant and be a law abiding citizen again ) :niceone:

Wolf
31st May 2005, 14:39
Ride around on a light 125cc road-trail with semi-knobblies, commute all year round - fair weather and foul - do that for a couple of years and you'll either become confident in wet weather or dead... not much middle ground. You'll find afterwards that anything remotely approaching a road tyre will feel like the Rock of Gibraltar by comparison.

Bonez
31st May 2005, 21:19
No probs in the wet. Mind you I'm not a wannabe racer :weird: . Protection-Para rubber yellows and a pair of stout pair of gummies.............Durex brand of course.

LB
1st June 2005, 05:06
No probs in the wet. Mind you I'm not a wannabe racer :weird: . Protection-Para rubber yellows and a pair of stout pair of gummies.............Durex brand of course.
;
;
Welcome back Bonez - you haven't posted for a while (unless I missed it which is quite possible of course);
;

Lou Girardin
1st June 2005, 08:19
there were a couple of confident guys going up 16 on Sunday. Serious lean angles and speed on a streaming wet left hander north of Kanohi.

Bonez
1st June 2005, 17:22
;
;
Welcome back Bonez - you haven't posted for a while (unless I missed it which is quite possible of course);
;
Thanks. No, I have'nt posted for ages. Another grand kid popped out on the weekend. Already introduced him to a helmet :yes:

loosebruce
2nd June 2005, 00:30
Yeah i dont mind the wet at all, mostly enjoy it to be honest, depends on what state of mind I'm in to how quick i'll go, i can get along alright. It's amazing how much actual grip there is available in wet conditions, only when you're smooth though, I've run supercorsa's and the likes in pretty solid rain etc and not had a problem, it's really standing water and tar patches that will give any tyre for that fact a problem.
But those looking for a shit hot wet and dry tyre, Pilot Powers are the shit, they warm up very fast and hold good heat = more grip, and are just as good in the dry, i love em. Fast warm up and heat retention is a must for fast wet road work. You pretty much have to stay on it though, if you back off for a while and then give some again, the tyre will have lost a lot of heat and you'll find you didn't have the grip you had before. Did i mention be real smooth....
Plus tis always a bit of fun seeing what speed you can get the rear wheel to down the motorway in the wet, clicking through the gears and still eh going the same speed. Or when you deicde to give it a bit of clutch in 2nd and the front wheel picks up a foot then the back shoots sideways on ya, scary fun.

inlinefour
2nd June 2005, 01:28
And allways very careful. Kind of makes me feel like I'm riding like a wuss, but I do it never the less. Rather get there in one piece...

TwoSeven
2nd June 2005, 12:56
I love riding in the wet, snow and ice (although dont really get as much as the last two as I would like). I've even been known to go out as soon as it starts raining just for fun.

Only type of rain I dont like its the fine misty stuff that fogs up the visor or the glasses if i'm wearing the half face.

Lee Rusty
7th June 2005, 21:42
is to ride it like it is dry - therefore the best practise you can get is riding in the dry like it is wet - lines and smoothness count -

oldrider
10th June 2005, 14:53
Hello Bikers, I love riding in any conditions. The one I find the most challenging is at night in heavy snow. The surface gets tricky, the lights just create a big white fluttering
curtain of light up front and the bloody big snowflakes keep sticking to your eyelashes. I tell you it gets a bit difficult sometimes but thats biking and I love it. Cheers John.

kiwifruit
26th June 2007, 15:18
I'm all about riding in the wet. Its great fun, as is the dry :rockon:

MotoGirl
26th June 2007, 15:43
The only time I ride in the rain is when I'm already out and get caught in it. I sure as Hell don't set out to get wet! Plus, I'm enough of a pansy in the dry so I would only go slower in the wet :weep:

Cajun
26th June 2007, 16:05
i personally acutally perfer riding in the rain than the dry,

i more often that not ride a touch faster, but there is also a huge difference to rain, damn/moist.

those are the worse conditions,

xwhatsit
26th June 2007, 16:09
Hehe I don't have a choice, my bike is the only way I'm getting to work or uni, unless I catch the bus (just as bad, have to wait in the rain for the bus, walk some distance in the open, very expensive anyway). As such I'm reasonably confident in the rain, as probably at least 25% of my total riding has been in the rain.

My front tyre isn't the best in the world -- adequate in the dry, a bit substandard in the wet -- so I take it a bit more easily than usual, but I've got used to the feeling of the front `pushing' then grabbing, and I'm definitely used to the back letting go by now (Avon Roadrunner -- decent, but a light bike with next to no weight on the back).

I think riding in the wet -- just like riding in the gravel -- gives you good skills for fair-weather riding. Shows you how your bike performs when it's near the limits, which are much more difficult to reach in ordinary riding in good weather.

swbarnett
26th June 2007, 20:01
I think riding in the wet -- just like riding in the gravel -- gives you good skills for fair-weather riding. Shows you how your bike performs when it's near the limits, which are much more difficult to reach in ordinary riding in good weather.

Also, if you come off in the wet you'll generally be going slower as losing grip will be easier. The flip side of course is that the cars you slide into the path off won't be able to stop as fast.

I'm reasonably confident in the wet as spent my first ten years of riding with a bike as my only mode of transport. I just rode in whatever weather was there at the time.

I think the trick is to get out and ride in the wet as much as possible. Also, make sure your tyres are up to it. My GN is proving a bit slippy lately and I plan to swap out the stock plastic for a set of Avon Roadrunners in the next week or two.

BarBender
26th June 2007, 20:33
A good ride in the wet can be as satisfying as a ride in the dry - especially out on the open road.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

dogsnbikes
26th June 2007, 20:48
Any condition is fine by me......as I have so many conditions and hazzards on the ride between home and Palmy north

to start with the road conditions consist of gravel,moss,pea metal,debris of all types ie silage,hay,cowshit,rock falls,wandering stock,road kill.

20k's of the trip has now road markings at all....

and the last few days I have had to cope with rain ,snow,sleet and hail

All is part n parcel of the enjoyment....knowing your limits and your machine :Punk:

Coxy
26th June 2007, 22:27
Mate, rain, what a pisser! Literally! We all prefer long hot summer days, feeling the tyres warm up and gaining in confidence. The main thing about the rain is that it forces you to be overly cautious to start with. As soon as rain hits the visor.... "OOhh shit"! better slow down. This makes sense of course but you then find yourself pootling around and taking corners upright. My advice is, find a road you know on a wet day, double, even treble your normal braking distances to start with and use the torque of the bike to keep the drive smooth and power out of bends one gear higher than normal. This will give you an idea of how the bike brakes, steers and accelerates in the wet. Then moderate to suit. Also, if you are riding below 80KPH for short periods (lane splitting) lift your visor to get a feel for the elements, you'll find your feel improves. One thing though that I always stick to on a bike - if in doubt - DONT do it!

Coxy
26th June 2007, 22:28
Mate, rain, what a pisser! Literally! We all prefer long hot summer days, feeling the tyres warm up and gaining in confidence. The main thing about the rain is that it forces you to be overly cautious to start with. As soon as rain hits the visor.... "OOhh shit"! better slow down. This makes sense of course but you then find yourself pootling around and taking corners upright. My advice is, find a road you know on a wet day, double, even treble your normal braking distances to start with and use the torque of the bike to keep the drive smooth and power out of bends one gear higher than normal. This will give you an idea of how the bike brakes, steers and accelerates in the wet. Then moderate to suit. Also, if you are riding below 80KPH for short periods (lane splitting) lift your visor to get a feel for the elements, you'll find your feel improves. One thing though that I always stick to on a bike - if in doubt - DONT do it! Cheers, Coxy

cindymay
27th June 2007, 20:59
I ride in wet a fair bit. Hard not too in Palmy. Newly wet roads and at intersections are tricky. I don't ride that hard so not too much of a problem and I don't need to come off - my skin is delicate.:love:

07fatboy
14th August 2007, 01:40
Absolutely Freeking Love it...its the only time i can do a one handed powerslide whilst raising it up on my harley without high siding it and having to put my foot down... i'm the one going through the lights in 6th gear doing 20km/h rear wheel doing 200kmh:blip::blip:...apart from that its tail gaters when i'm already doing +10 in the torential that bothers me , just ease off a bit earlier but still give to her in the corner...stay safe

HDTboy
14th August 2007, 07:31
I'm all about riding in the wet. Its great fun, as is the dry :rockon:
I'm right with you on that one, it's only water

Mate, rain, what a pisser! Literally! We all prefer long hot summer days, feeling the tyres warm up and gaining in confidence. The main thing about the rain is that it forces you to be overly cautious to start with. As soon as rain hits the visor.... "OOhh shit"! better slow down. This makes sense of course but you then find yourself pootling around and taking corners upright. My advice is, find a road you know on a wet day, double, even treble your normal braking distances to start with and use the torque of the bike to keep the drive smooth and power out of bends one gear higher than normal. This will give you an idea of how the bike brakes, steers and accelerates in the wet. Then moderate to suit. Also, if you are riding below 80KPH for short periods (lane splitting) lift your visor to get a feel for the elements, you'll find your feel improves. One thing though that I always stick to on a bike - if in doubt - DONT do it!
Harden up

Absolutely Freeking Love it...its the only time i can do a one handed powerslide whilst raising it up on my harley without high siding it and having to put my foot down... i'm the one going through the lights in 6th gear doing 20km/h rear wheel doing 200kmh:blip::blip:...apart from that its tail gaters when i'm already doing +10 in the torential that bothers me , just ease off a bit earlier but still give to her in the corner...stay safe
Do you highside regularly in the dry?

vifferman
14th August 2007, 10:09
I try and remember this when the roads are wet:
"There's a lot more grip than you think there is".

sunhuntin
14th August 2007, 13:52
cant remember if ive posted already, lol. must say, i am happy riding in the wet and the dry. what pisses me off, however, is riding in the wet, through road works, and hugging the gutter to avoid the group of 5 potholes in the middle of the lane. only to go chain deep in water by the grand-daddy of all potholes. i swear that hole wasnt there the day before! and now theyve gone and filled them with shellrock stuff, so theres no hole, but a lane filled with fist sized rocks. fucktards. [and the corner is marked at 50, between 2 sets of 30k roadworks. even at 30k its dangerous.]

jrandom
14th August 2007, 14:24
Riding in the wet is awesome.

There is a difference between wet and dry, of course. Being lazy with your precision on the throttle can fuck you up real good in the wet. You do have a smaller traction pie to play with. Highsides look way cool, but do tend to cramp your style for a while afterwards.

:o

Just remember - smoothness, smoothness, and more smoothness. It's amazing how fast you can go with nary a wiggle.

Gravel and diesel are your true enemies. A bit of good old liquid Kiwi sunshine on the road never did anyone any harm.

Animal
14th August 2007, 16:26
Just remember - smoothness, smoothness, and more smoothness. It's amazing how fast you can go with nary a wiggle.

... very much like the chick I took home last night.

Okay, as you were! Back on topic!

janno
14th August 2007, 16:30

With nary a wiggle - was she a starfish then?? :zzzz:

Animal
14th August 2007, 16:34
Yeah, I didn't want to wake her!

007XX
14th August 2007, 16:48

Damn...Beat me to it!!!:laugh:

but yes, I'd tend to agree with JR...It's all about smooth throttle control...Make it purr instead of bark, stroke it featherlite and move gently across the seat...be one with your mount and it'll be a very pleasurable indeed! :innocent:

babyblade250rr
14th August 2007, 16:51
Personally the rain scares the living bergeezez out of me i'm a new rider and when i get caught in the rain it's a feeling of indefinate binning. I feel that as soon as i slightly lean the bike into a corner it's gonna fall over or i feel as soon as i touch the brake front or rear they will lock up. Then obviously as a jaffa living in the CBD you get the asshole cage drivers that push you to speed up which generally tends to frustrate me even more.

So as a summary,

I will avoid rain and never purposely bike in it, I'd rather take the cage. However i much prefer riding than driving so i will have to take some steps to build confidence in regards to this matter

DAMN RAIN:angry:

babyblade250rr
14th August 2007, 16:57
And i must add that my fear of the rain is not for that fact i may come off and injure myself i just don't wanna injure my bike!! sounds silly i know

terbang
14th August 2007, 17:04
Don't like getting wet but I do enjoy a bit of slipping and sliding in the wet too. My Navvy is in a configuration somewhere between a trail bike and a Motard with 100 HP. Quite manageable in the Gravel and fine with the back spun up on the wet sealed roads too. Quite a lot of fun indeed (well its farken awesome, to tell the truth) and I agree the trick is to be smooth with the throttle when breaking the rear out. Mind you I had the same sensations on the busa as well, without even trying.. But that seemed less manageable. Keep an eye on anything that appears shiney on the road surface and keep it smooth.

SlashWylde
14th August 2007, 18:22
Yes.

From riding in the wet.

Riding in the wet more often.

07fatboy
14th August 2007, 21:54
hehehe that was funny that last 1...sometimes ya dont have a choice if its ya only ride to and from work...stay safe

jrandom
14th August 2007, 22:07
Make it purr instead of bark, stroke it featherlite and move gently across the seat...be one with your mount and it'll be a very pleasurable indeed! :innocent:

Gnahhh.

So, er, you'll be on the ATNR this week, then?

I will avoid rain and never purposely bike in it, I'd rather take the cage.

Evillllllll! EVILLLLLLL!

The power of Soichiro Honda compels you!

mbazza
14th August 2007, 23:04
I ride conficently in the rain on tyres for about 70% of their life. After that I watch out for that 'oily' diesel look on the road and I hate that shiny repair on the bitumen which is tretcherous in the went when one crosses it in a corner will a healthy lean on.
Became confident in the wet by commuting 25k each way in all weathers, all season for about 5 years.
Get out there and do it on wet tyres, with your brain switched on. Cheers:ride:

Coldrider
15th August 2007, 00:21
Run super soft tyres, keep em hot and the rain sodden riding is cool, keep the zx in high gears to keep smooth, I'm just touchy when it's just started to rain, after the rain has cleaned the road, all good to go, and real soft on the brakes till the front wheel is biting.

007XX
15th August 2007, 08:59
Gnahhh.

!

Mebbe :shifty:....riding in the wet is ok, but in the dark as well, I'm not so keen!

My "bete noire" is definitely riding at night...I prefer the lights on :lol:

*ok, I'll behave now...":innocent:

Animal
15th August 2007, 11:06
*ok, I'll behave now...":innocent:

Ha! That'll be a first!:lol:

I'll have to admit that I'm not confident enough in the rain but the only weather condition likely to have me searching for shelter under a bridge is hail. My hands don't seem to cope too well with hail, despite decent gloves.

007XX
15th August 2007, 12:51
Ha! That'll be a first!:lol:

I'll have to admit that I'm not confident enough in the rain but the only weather condition likely to have me searching for shelter under a bridge is hail. My hands don't seem to cope too well with hail, despite decent gloves.

I can, I swear I can ...:yes: I'm just not very good at it, that's all! :lol:

What's the problem with hail? Sorry, I've had sleet so far, and I was ok with that.

Animal
15th August 2007, 13:02
You're hilarious! :killingme

This is true, every time I've been out in the middle of nowhere and miles away from the nearest bridge, the hailstones are the size of grapes but a helluva lot harder. Also, my fingers are really thin and bony so there's not a lot of padding to absorb the impact. I've had a couple of fingers broken in hailstorms, so I'm reluctant to do anything other than seek shelter when the rain turns into rock.

The most unpleasant of all was riding into a swarm of locusts. Do you know that they're filled up with greenish-yellow snot and when you hit them at 120kmh or so they explode and spread gelatinous locust snot over a surprisingly large area?

Mekk
15th August 2007, 13:43

There's more to consider than just the weather. I'm confident riding if it's raining and I'm focused, and on good roads. Factors that influence confidence for me include light/visibility levels, the amount of traffic, condition of the roads, type of roads, condition of the bike I'm riding etc.

There's a lot to think about but I feel that it's sometimes better to not be confident, it may save your ass in certain situations.

007XX
15th August 2007, 14:37
You're hilarious! :killingme

This is true, every time I've been out in the middle of nowhere and miles away from the nearest bridge, the hailstones are the size of grapes but a helluva lot harder. Also, my fingers are really thin and bony so there's not a lot of padding to absorb the impact. I've had a couple of fingers broken in hailstorms, so I'm reluctant to do anything other than seek shelter when the rain turns into rock.

The most unpleasant of all was riding into a swarm of locusts. Do you know that they're filled up with greenish-yellow snot and when you hit them at 120kmh or so they explode and spread gelatinous locust snot over a surprisingly large area?

Oh, ok...*mental note: breaks easily!...*
:laugh:

And yes, I have had the dubious pleasure of coming across said locusts' snotty filling...
I personally prefer them roasted with a little sal and pepper, but eh! Whatever makes you happy! :bleh:

Animal
15th August 2007, 14:41
Oh, ok...*mental note: breaks easily!...*:laugh:

Hell yes, I'm really quite fragile!:D

babyblade250rr
15th August 2007, 16:41
Gnahhh.

Evillllllll! EVILLLLLLL!

The power of Soichiro Honda compels you!

Haha i know i'm new!! leave me alone:crybaby:

No but really i will have to start practicing wet weather riding!!:Punk:

Cave Cleaner
15th August 2007, 18:54
I dont mind the rain, I just adjust. I wont go looking for it, but if I get stuck in it I just carry on riding through it. No problems..

discotex
15th August 2007, 20:36
Haha i know i'm new!! leave me alone:crybaby:

No but really i will have to start practicing wet weather riding!!:Punk:

Only way to get used to it. Just take it easy to begin with. I've ridden to work every day I could since I got my bike. The only thing that stopped me was breaking my shoulder mountainbiking....

The first time I went around a roundabout in the wet I almost shat myself. Since then I've realised it's quite amazing how much grip there is in the wet. It's just that the surface can change a lot quicker and you have to be smooth smooth smooth.

You also have to feel more. The bike is telling you how grippy the road is by how it tracks around corners and stuff.

TLMAN
15th August 2007, 20:48
I find that you need to take it easy until your tyres get warmed up, then depending on the road surface you can usually ride like you can in the dry, especially on top grade bitumen roads. I only use caution going over painted road markings - LEATHAL IN THE WET!!!!

BarBender
15th August 2007, 21:02
Sometimes. Depends on the tyres and road conditions.

Riding in the rain knowing your bike and trusting your tyres. The last one takes a while and depends on the above answer.

Kickaha
15th August 2007, 21:06
Not quite so much on the road, but racing I am very confident in the wet

swbarnett
16th August 2007, 12:23
better to not be confident, it may save your ass in certain situations.
Better to BE confident, just not over confident. Being under confident can be just as deadly. My first bin many years ago was because of a lack of confidence. I straightened up too late in a corner that I could've taken easily.

babyblade250rr
16th August 2007, 16:18
Only way to get used to it. Just take it easy to begin with. I've ridden to work every day I could since I got my bike. The only thing that stopped me was breaking my shoulder mountainbiking....

The first time I went around a roundabout in the wet I almost shat myself. Since then I've realised it's quite amazing how much grip there is in the wet. It's just that the surface can change a lot quicker and you have to be smooth smooth smooth.

You also have to feel more. The bike is telling you how grippy the road is by how it tracks around corners and stuff.

thanks for the adive will take that into account when rain riding,

P.S good work on the ride back from kaiua with gijoe's ride a few weeks ago it was cool riding with ya through the twisties

McJim
16th August 2007, 16:43
I WAS confident in the wet until I had the front end slide out on a white line in a rainstorm.

Got my confidence back and then lost the front end on a damp day on my wife's bike (due to a cheap and nasty tyre).

Both instances saw me on my arse so I am aware that I am a nana in the rain and will wave everyone past me so I can take the corners at my own pace.

discotex
16th August 2007, 18:40
thanks for the adive will take that into account when rain riding,

P.S good work on the ride back from kaiua with gijoe's ride a few weeks ago it was cool riding with ya through the twisties

Thanks dude - ditto. Was a nice little bunch eh. I'm keen to get out for another ride sometime soon. Working this weekend and sitting my restricted next. Somewhere in there trying to buy a house. Looks like the market is going my way now :rockon:

That rain at the start of the ride musta been freaky if you don't like it. You got good tyres on that blade? If you don't it'd make all the difference to how the bike feels in the wet.

sarahtvet
16th August 2007, 20:28
Damn...Beat me to it!!!:laugh:

but yes, I'd tend to agree with JR...It's all about smooth throttle control...Make it purr instead of bark, stroke it featherlite and move gently across the seat...be one with your mount and it'll be a very pleasurable indeed! :innocent:

We still talking bikes here :innocent:or has this turned into a horse riding or dating agency:dodge:

you obviously have considerable talents in the wet:laugh:

Jokes aside, it is great to ride nice fast roads with lots of twist on a dry day but I have had some awesome rides in the wet. Cheated recently because I could shelter behind the guy up front but that will change when the bike lands which is :soon:

I will be grateful for the hints and tips from all you more experienced types at that point :yes:

Mekk
17th August 2007, 00:57
Better to BE confident, just not over confident. Being under confident can be just as deadly. My first bin many years ago was because of a lack of confidence. I straightened up too late in a corner that I could've taken easily.

You truncated the "sometimes" from my quote.

I meant for increasing your awareness of hazards in the wet, referring more to experienced riders.

007XX
17th August 2007, 09:03
you obviously have considerable talents in the wet:laugh:
:

How did you know???:shit::shutup:

But as you said, all kidding aside...I like wet riding as it all becomes a bit more challenging. It's not that I don't have still heaps to learn in the dry, but I find myself really pushed when it's raining.

It is really about making sure that all movements are smoothed out, the clutch and throttle control used carefully and gently.
It almost becomes like a dance, wih the bike having to become an extension of yourself...

It feels awesome and i get a buzz everytime I do it...

*see? I can be reasonnably serious...from time to time! :laugh:

babyblade250rr
17th August 2007, 16:22
Thanks dude - ditto. Was a nice little bunch eh. I'm keen to get out for another ride sometime soon. Working this weekend and sitting my restricted next. Somewhere in there trying to buy a house. Looks like the market is going my way now :rockon:

That rain at the start of the ride musta been freaky if you don't like it. You got good tyres on that blade? If you don't it'd make all the difference to how the bike feels in the wet.

yeah got almost brand new front and rear dunlops but the are like a sport/cruiser tyre so i'm not sure about them. i guess i made it to kaiua and back so they cant be to bad aye

Jimmy B
17th August 2007, 16:28
Absolutely 100% confident from 20 years plus of riding….until 3 months ago and that 100m tankslapper just out of Raglan and then a near high side out of Tuakau on the same day…now I’m well….sort of OK with it.

McDuck
28th August 2007, 23:51
Absolutely 100% confident from 20 years plus of riding….until 3 months ago and that 100m tankslapper just out of Raglan and then a near high side out of Tuakau on the same day…now I’m well….sort of OK with it.

bummer......

07fatboy
29th August 2007, 01:48
Had to take the bike to the dealers today to get a little weep that turned to a big weep,which in turn started to drip oil onto the rear wheel(warrantee work of course).IT was abit drizzly to showers for the whole 45k to the shop and every bloody round about and corner it was motard style with 1 foot down it was that slippery.It was sometimes fun when it was intentional but wasnt when i didnt expect it...i dont think the public appreciated it nor did the nice:Police:man who flashed me down.But after some explanation and showing him the issue and that i was heading down to get it rectified...he told me the any NORMAL human being would have TRAILERED the F@#$kn P.O.S down there:Oops:.And just to make sure i got there safetly he followed me the rest of 15k to the shop...stay safe

Kflasher
29th August 2007, 07:41
Smooth on and smooth off, squeeze gently and release gently, shift weight to reduce bike lean, and feel tyre feedback.
All learned over a time period & one or two avoidable slides… hehe

Jimmy B
29th August 2007, 09:34
bummer......

Absolutely mate, not a fun experience by any stretch and while I’ve spun the back wheel up a few times (usually overtaking in the wet) it is certainly something that has given me plenty to think about. Normally I can feel the rear start to slide and adjust my riding accordingly.

First off I initially put the slapper down to inappropriate speed in too tall a gear on a cold poor road surface that was marked as a temporary 50kph zone. Shiny and devoid of any chip or seal. I was doing 80kph and I think I squeezed the throttle open just a bit, next minute I’m all over the show. A few of the other lads had minor traction problems in the same spot but hooked up pretty quick.

A positive is I didn’t bin, the negative is I’m not sure I could say the same thing if it ever happened again and it took seemingly forever to get back under control.

The near highside would have looked flippin cool, same shiny surface around a 90 degree corner. Speed and throttle control were OK, she just slid out, hooked up, good headshake and away. Dented the confidence a bit.

Now the bike has been a bit twitchy in the wet since winter came on, my tyres would not heat up to the same degree as my mates (they of course put that down to their superior skills). I had a service recently and the mechanic asked me what sort of gauge I was using….it was 10psi out. I had been riding with close to 55psi in the rear and 50ish in the front. Why didn’t I notice, well I had installed Ohlins in the rear and quite simply they soaked up the additional bumpage. In summer the bike felt great, on rails even. Not so in cold weather.

So, I have learnt that before you rely on a gauge make sure that it is calibrated correctly. Also if stuff like this happens for no apparent reason, there is a reason and revisit the basics like tyre pressure, suspension settings, riding style, speed etc. A mate of mine has had problems with his rear skipping under hard braking. Thought it maybe the profile of his new rear tyre. His rear shock died 10 days ago. In any case slow down and listen to your gut until you get it 100% sorted

Solarwind
29th August 2007, 23:21
Riding in the rain never bothered me, since I started off by riding to high school every day, along both country backroads and inner city streets, I just had to get used to it. As long as you have decent waterproof gear (I always wear my Aerostich, waterproof gloves and boots regardless of the weather), and can deal with the rain droplets and fog on your visor so you have nothing to distract you from the road, it's no big deal. If your jeans are soaked through and you can't see a damned thing through your fogged-up visor, then your riding skills and the quality of your tires are the least of your worries, imo.

Guided_monkey
8th October 2007, 21:55
No real probs so far with the worst Ak can throw at me. 45 minutes on the motorway system. Only probs being cagers with fogged up windows/side mirrors.... morecaution with distances the only requirement.

Just love the Ak CC's idea of a 'safe' road. Newton Rd what a problem with metal service plates.

Got too love the low down torque of the V twin. Easy to mantain a good pace without spinning the rear.

GaZBur
9th October 2007, 09:07
.... What I guess I'm asking is

A few have sort or hinted at but I am surprise nobody has said outright you got to "read the road". I mean read how the traction is.
To read what traction is there try a few things - like at a modest speed roll the rear brake on till it locks, open the throttle till the rear spins. Do this reasonably often on the different surfaces and you then get a feel for things as traction changes. One piece of road usually has 5 distinct surfaces on it from edge to middle and they each behave differently in dry and wet. The slick looking patches of tar are almost always deadly in the wet but traction over the rest of the road varies a lot. Ashphalt and chip roads can give real good grip in a heavy downpour yet be like glass after a light drizzle. When the rain starts the first thing that happens is the oil and diesel floats up to the surface to coat your tyres, so damp conditions are often worse than flooding. Telling you how it is doesn't help - you got to get a feel for it yourself on your bike with your tyres and your abilities.
PS. The people who say they prefer riding in the wet also probably enjoy being tied up and whipped. Personally I don't enjoy being wet and cold but sometimes you got to put up with it.

swbarnett
15th October 2007, 11:36
PS. The people who say they prefer riding in the wet also probably enjoy being tied up and whipped. Personally I don't enjoy being wet and cold but sometimes you got to put up with it.
I don't prefer the wet but I certainly don't mind it. If you're getting cold you need to look at what you're wearing and wrap up a bit more. If you're getting wet, your gear probably needs waterproofing. Go down to your nearest camping store and look for some nikwax or similar. They have products for leather and Cordura. Water was getting through my jacket and gloves quite badly until I retreated them a few weeks ago. Been in some heavy rain since then and remained bone dry.

EZAS
15th October 2007, 12:21
I never felt overly confident riding in the rain. The hardest part I found was visibility. when your trying to fly but can't see anything past the front wheel it gets abit scary in saying that, the last time I took my bike out in the rain i had a ball. Got the rear spinning up at about 50-80k, which gave me a bit more confidence knowing how hard I needed to push the bike before the rear would give out.

motnick
17th October 2007, 12:24
I'm not that keen on riding in the wet, but then I'm in palmy and when its wet, its usually really wet and windy, got no choice now either, no car anymore.

About the worst thing is that it seems every other corner on the way to work has a bloody manhole cover right in my preferred line.

I don't have the power at the mo to worry about spinning up unexpectedly, but looking forward to learning to be aware of that as well.

Another thing to be aware of in wet weather anywhere is that there are more cars on the road which puts everybody in a bit of a rush, which means cars are less likely to see bikes.

McDuck
18th October 2007, 19:20
I am happy to ride when ever and where ever. I try to avoid we gravle if i can, but if it is in a root to a place then i just go with it and slow down. If you ride to the conditions then there is no reson to be scared of the conditons.

dcrook
30th October 2007, 14:30
It's never fun when you have to don all your gear just to get bloody wet. What amazes me everytime is that the more you ride in the rain the better it does for your confidence. And that can't be a bad thing.
Give me sunshine and dry roads any day though.

Typical, It's beautiful outside and I'm stuck in the friggin office.

Dave::Playnice: