PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if I will be declined by ACC

rustic101
12th July 2010, 14:44
A number of years back I had surgery on both knees, ACL, MCL and Meniscus. The first was done at the Navy Hospital in Devenport, the second done by Southern Cross after the Navy fucked up the first.

So two weeks ago I was shadow boxing in with the kick bag in the gym at work and twisted my right knee and I think tore the ACL and or Meniscus as it swelled up to buggery and has only just come down.

Had an appointment with the doctor planned for this week to see about the knee.

This morning walking down the drive to my bike my right knee gave way (as it has been doing) I hit a patch of ice and ended up on my arse, thank god for ATGATT lol. Five or so minutes later I was able to move so composed myself, got to my feet shook myself off and rode to work.

While at work my back started to spasm and then ceased up. I immediately call the doctors office left work doubled over jumped on the bike and rode out to Silverstream.

At the Doctors I received a stab in the arse consisting of some muscle relaxants and industrial strength Codeine phosphate and Diclofenac (I think its voltarin), as it turns out I have strained my back muscles trying to stop myself from falling. Anyhoo he said O well I'm sending you to an Orthopaedic Surgeon for you knee and just relax you back and we will pop it all under ACC as it happened at work.

I laughed and he questioned me. I said they will say it degeneration. He smiled. Apparently the guy I am seeing is outspoken about ACC. He is a Mr K of B Hospital (name and hospital edited)??

So now its a waiting game I guess...

Right off for a nana nap as feeling a little loose in the head department and a little tried lol.

spajohn
13th July 2010, 09:23
If the guy has done you a favour why are you blogging his name for all too see in case someone takes objection and dobbs him in?!

Str8 Jacket
13th July 2010, 10:14
I smashed my knees up good and proper about 5-6 years ago when I wrote off my first bike. Things settled and I seemed to come right. After a couple of years one of my knees started playing up again on and off due to different things such as sports, racing etc I gave up on the health system and sort my own treatment by way of acupuncture physio etc.
Last year I had a car hit me from behind while I was waiting at the lights, he did a runner but I had landed on me knee again. Of course my knee swelled up and I sought treatment. ACC refused to cover the injury (after they had shelled out for an MRI courtesy of original claim 6 years ago) and said that they declined any further treatment stating that the knee was already damaged from 'wear and tear'. So I was put on a waiting and 6-8 months later I finally began physio at Hutt Hospital and now my knee is finally starting to get better...... I have given up on ACC!

rustic101
13th July 2010, 10:28
If the guy has done you a favour why are you blogging his name for all too see in case someone takes objection and dobbs him in?!

Point taken cheers..

rustic101
13th July 2010, 19:20
Well bugger me. Had a call today from my friendly ACC case Manager, did not even know I had one lol. Anyways she said 'Great News, your claim is approved and all treatment including surgery etc will be paid'.

I felt like asking what the catch was haha. :whistle:

However great result and a little surprising really given all the bad press they get.

major tom
13th July 2010, 20:45
Work related accident ( Yeah Right ) sounds like another employer getting ripped off !

rustic101
13th July 2010, 22:46
Work related accident ( Yeah Right ) sounds like another employer getting ripped off !

Like I've haven't paid ACC for the past god knows how many years? Put it this way major tom - I've paid insurance on my vehicles, household contents etc for god knows how long and if I ever have the misfortune of being burgled I would lodge a claim.

Further more, the my job requires me to maintain a high level of fitness and the initial injury occurred in a work building (the gym) I clearly see that as 'work related'.

So I ask you - How is my claim an employer rip off???