PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Pursuit

scumdog
12th July 2010, 16:28
What has happened to KB?

Are all the ranters getting blase' about pursuits ending in tears?

During last weekend a boirazer in Ch-CH bolted from the fuzz, pranged his extrememly-powerful-and-no-doubt-equally-expensive automobile causing one of his 5 passengers to prematurely expire.

And not a mention on KB?

Where are all the key-board legal-and-moral-and-driving experts that normally erupt from the netherworld at times like that?

I'm bored, I need entertainment..:jerry:

HenryDorsetCase
12th July 2010, 16:33
What has happened to KB?

Are all the ranter getting blase' about pursuits ending in tears?

During last weekend a boirazer in Ch-CH bolted from the fuzz, pranged his extrememly-powerful-and-no-doubt-equally-expensive automobile causing one of his 5 passengers to prematurely expire.

And not a mention on KB?

Where are all the key-board legal-and-moral-and-driving experts that normally erupt from the netherworld at times like that?

Its a pity all five in the car didnt die.

imdying
12th July 2010, 16:34
People die all the time... people I don't know, sometimes doing stupid shit, sometimes not. I don't care, why should I? *shrug*

Genie
12th July 2010, 16:36
There was a wee mention of this in the boy racer ban thread...pop over there and have a wee looksie

slofox
12th July 2010, 16:37

Get out there and catch some crooks, dammit! That's what we pay ya for innit?

Or you could always go pull a few u-turns..? :whistle:

scumdog
12th July 2010, 16:42
Get out there and catch some crooks, dammit! That's what we pay ya for innit?

Or you could always go pull a few u-turns..? :whistle:

Hey you, leave the ewes out of it, I know nothing!:shutup:

It's teenag boys I'm talking about - normal stuff, OK?:blink:

JimO
12th July 2010, 17:03
i see some silly cow wanting a inquiry into police pursuits because obviously its the cops fault the guy did a runner in his un regoed un wofed suped up car

Edbear
12th July 2010, 17:03
No doubt said teenager is very upset and remorseful and his Mum is saying what a good boy he was...

Taz
12th July 2010, 17:32
Hey you, leave the ewes out of it, I know nothing!:shutup:

It's teenag boys I'm talking about - normal stuff, OK?:blink:

This just sounds sick to me. Deviant.

MSTRS
12th July 2010, 17:34
What has happened to KB?

We don't like boy racers, either...
Reports on this said there have been 9 deaths as a result of police pursuits, in the last year alone. If they were all boy racers, that'd be a start.

JimO
12th July 2010, 17:39
We don't like boy racers, either...
Reports on this said there have been 9 deaths as a result of police pursuits, in the last year alone. If they were all boy racers, that'd be a start.

the blame lies with the runner not the chaser

MSTRS
12th July 2010, 17:42
the blame lies with the runner not the chaser

Of course. Even though they wouldn't be running if they weren't being chased...

JATZ
12th July 2010, 17:49

They wouldn't be getting chassed if they stopped, aye

doc
12th July 2010, 18:04
And not a mention on KB?

It's quite surprising being school holidays and all.

Gone Burger
12th July 2010, 18:07
They wouldn't be getting chassed if they stopped, aye

You bet me to it - agreed.

Quasievil

Did you read that 60% of police are cross dressers ?
it came out in a study by Massey university after interviewing 300 police from around the country.
1/ I can believe they admited it
2/ Are these people really the pillars of our community

:jerry::jerry::jerry:

MIXONE
Let he who is without sin...

scumdog
12th July 2010, 18:12
it came out in a study by Massey university after interviewing 300 police from around the country.

Yeah but I wanted to hear about stuff I DIDN'T know!!:wari:

cowpoos
12th July 2010, 18:13

get a paper and do the crossword....or sudoku?

Forest
12th July 2010, 18:14
Let he who is without sin...

Oh. I see you've already met my father-in-law.

doc
12th July 2010, 18:17

I'm bored

Yeah cmon Scummie it's sch hol's show us a pic of you in "Dress up's"

Maha
12th July 2010, 18:25
What has happened to KB?

And not a mention on KB?

No motorbike involved so its ok on this occassion.
Surely you have worked that out?

blackdog
12th July 2010, 18:26
i see an appointment with pd in this threads near future

but yeah, back on track. maids or nurseys scummy?

red mermaid
12th July 2010, 18:39
Hes from the South Island so it will be Billy Goat or sheep.

rustic101
12th July 2010, 18:57
What has happened to KB?

But Al said he would not even use the word 'Chase'...

Flip
12th July 2010, 19:08
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch/3907957/One-killed-5-injured-30-arrested

36 morons taken off the road this weekend down here.

Good on the Police, I hope they do it again and again and again.

Its a pity some one had to die but some people are just to stupid to live.

rustic101
12th July 2010, 19:11
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/christchurch/3907957/One-killed-5-injured-30-arrested

36 morons taken off the road this weekend down here.

Good on the Police, I hope they do it again and again and again.

Its a pity some one had to die but some people are just to stupid to live.

I believe they should be taking a mobile crusher with them. Let the owner and finance company sort out the bill if money is owing...:spanking::devil2::spanking:

rustic101
12th July 2010, 19:13

Drawn from (cuse the pun) a cross section of the Community ;)

Be safe, stand tall - Safer Communities together!!!

bogan
12th July 2010, 19:15
I believe they should be taking a mobile crusher with them. Let the owner and finance company sort out the bill if money is owing...:spanking::devil2::spanking:

Sounds awesome! fuck I'd build em one and charge no labour! it may not help with the runner situation though :whistle:

seriously though, something has to be done before they get to the point of deciding to do a runner or not.

Flip
12th July 2010, 19:20

Velocity and the lamp post did a good job, right into the passengers door.

Because the driver will be charged with a criminal offense he will have no insurance.

The driver also killed one of his mates, which will be very hard to live with.

rustic101
12th July 2010, 19:24
Just to clarify I was referring to the Boys with their toys on the Off/ On ramp...

Flip
12th July 2010, 19:33
I believe the 30 were charged with unlawfull assembly which is not a crushing crime.

rustic101
12th July 2010, 19:41
So a new charge needs to be added to the Legislation -

'unlawfully assembling a group of cars with the intent of being an arse hole(s)'

Sign it off I say JK..

Hitcher
12th July 2010, 20:01
The BDOTGNZA is seriously considering affiliating with the Society for the Protection of the Apoplecticly Enraged Trolls, on the proviso that they adhere to the Generally Accepted Kiwi Guide To Good Speeling and Gramar(TM).

Maha
12th July 2010, 20:06
Waht?.....

Rogue Rider
12th July 2010, 20:48
Never really understood boy racers and their mentality? Cars are for lil girls. Especially ones that runaway and leave there buddies in a mess after an accident........

Owh, on the way home from work today, a mufty black commodore with blue and red flashing lights under the grill did a U turn in front of me, how convenient...... all in the pursuit of a motorcyclist going the other way.... owh then he saw me, so what do think he did, yes, thats right he kept goin........
Well, I was seriously %$^#@^@#^%$#$%^&%& so turned on my horn BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP and gave him and his pull hard buddy the Bird! I was hoping they would come for me, but they knew better and toodled off after the other guy...... I would have got there badge numbers and sent a lovely letter to the police complaints authority for sure.......
Dicks. Some cops would just be better off as cardboard cut outs, and still have more personality lol.

_Shrek_
12th July 2010, 21:18

:Oops: looks like you busted scummy :shutup:

Yeah but I wanted to hear about stuff I DIDN'T know!!:wari:

yeah but we want to see the stuff you hiding :blink:

I'm bored

:shit: but not the school girl out fit :sick:

Taz
12th July 2010, 21:59
Hes from the South Island so it will be Billy Goat or sheep.

No it's teenage boys he's into. See post #6. Maybe "normal stuff" for a southern police ocifer but I'm getting visions of that cop in Wild Hogs.

Marmoot
12th July 2010, 22:15
...automobile...

hmmm..... /ignore

far queue
12th July 2010, 22:23
The BDOTGNZA is seriously considering affiliating with the Society for the Protection of the Apoplecticly Enraged Trolls, on the proviso that they adhere to the Generally Accepted Kiwi Guide To Good Speeling and Gramar(TM).What, pray tell, is this speeling and gramar of which you speak? Would it be spelling and grammar per chance?

HenryDorsetCase
12th July 2010, 22:27

Uh, no. they have to run FIRST before there can be a pursuit. Otherwise we would be in the position of the po po doing preemptive pursuits. Not that Greg OConnor wouldnt think that was a good idea. Just the Po po showing up at your house and giving you a bit of the old slap with a phone book then arresting you, then wrapping your car round a phone pole preemptively. I'd vote for that shit.

Kornholio
12th July 2010, 22:29
No motorbike involved so its ok on this occassion.
Surely you have worked that out?

Yeah, pretty much... Put their rego's up and make them wear all the gear!

Crazy Steve
12th July 2010, 22:37
I'm bored, I need entertainment..:jerry:[/QUOTE]

Why don't you go and Taser some fat child, You Pigs seem to be good at doing that ! ! !

Crazy Steve.

Number One
12th July 2010, 23:35

http://www.mrvintage.co.nz/site/mrvintage/images/thumb/PermW_150.jpg

now THAT would be entertaining...oh wait....sorry bout that :bleh:

PirateJafa
13th July 2010, 00:00

If they knew they wouldn't be chased, then they'd never slow down.

motorbyclist
13th July 2010, 00:43
Uh, no. they have to run FIRST before there can be a pursuit. Otherwise we would be in the position of the po po doing preemptive pursuits.

have you never had a cop come roaring up behind you at well over the speed limit to then sit close waiting for you to stuff up? I've had it a few times, even in my starlet (granny-car).

I had a classic one night on an FXR150 where I rode past a cop who had already pulled someone over... about 2km down the road I'm pulled over by the same cop who came roaring up with his lights on who then started yelling about how he had to do some silly speed to keep up with me at my allegedly fast pace. Simply told him it's not my fault he decided to create a hazard of himself as I hadn't broken the limit at any stage. Seeing as he never clocked me as speeding on the beast that the fxr150 is, he proceeded to check my licence, wof, rego etc and interrogate me for what i was even doing on the road, all while I stand out in the cold, only be be told to carry on my way home.

some of those "officers" are a bunch of cowboys out on the road, which is a shame as many of them are perfectly reasonable and carry out their job in a professional manner :(

dangerous
13th July 2010, 06:15
People die all the time... people I don't know, sometimes doing stupid shit, sometimes not. I don't care, why should I? *shrug*
BECAUSE... next time it could be your family taken out.

MSTRS
13th July 2010, 08:43

Um, I think we all know he doesn't do Dress UP...:innocent:

HenryDorsetCase
13th July 2010, 09:48

Why don't you go and Taser some fat child, You Pigs seem to be good at doing that ! ! !

Crazy Steve.[/QUOTE]

Tasering fat people would be hilarious. I'm off to youtube to look.

Clockwork
13th July 2010, 10:50
Seriously though.
Every time the politicians increase the penalties for driving offences and the rightious road saftey lobby go.... "oooh yeah... that'll learn 'em", does it never occure to either of these groups that theyv'e just provided even more incentive to the young and perenially irresponsible to try their luck in this manner making the roads less safe for all?

Clockwork
13th July 2010, 10:52
Double post.

imdying
13th July 2010, 10:58
BECAUSE... next time it could be your family taken out.It's true, that could definitely happen. Three(?) weeks ago Jessica was hit at traffic lights whilst stationary by a drunk driver and the car was written off around her. As it is, the odds are pretty good, I'm not going to give myself a heart attack worrying about it.

rustic101
13th July 2010, 11:05
Seriously though.
Every time the politicians increase the penalties for driving offences and the rightious road saftey lobby go.... "oooh yeah... that'll learn 'em", does it never occure to either of these groups that theyv'e just provided even more incentive to the young and perenially irresponsible to try their luck in this manner making the roads less safe for all?

Personally I believe the real problem is with the executers (Judges) of the Punishment(s). The consequence for doing a runner is laughable, the punishment for speeding is laughable, the execution of the Justice system laughable. Too remove any ambiguity; the Defendant needs to have a message imposed on them that is not only harsh but decisive and public.

It will not take the clowns long to understand that even if they think about doing a runner or place other peoples lives at risk they will suffer and suffer badly.

As a Nation we have become soft. This starts in the home, is carried through the schooling system and for a large number, through their criminal career. They are give a clear message by the 'System' that 'its ok' to offend as they have Rights. Hit em swiftly and hit em hard.

avgas
13th July 2010, 11:45
They all left after they found that it wasn't the wire rope barriers that jump out in front of them......it was the other way around.

avgas
13th July 2010, 11:46
Seriously though.
Yes, but as it has been told, they will die, and then they will become the grass. And the Antelope eat the grass, so continues the circle of life. http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l1113hCX7V1qa13qio1_500.jpg

Clockwork
13th July 2010, 11:52
In my view instant and mandatory roadside loss of licence and or vehicle without the benefit of a trial are not powers that should be vested in the Police. As evidenced by a sizeable percentage of posters on this board there are those who (with or without cause) have deep suspicions of the integrity and/or fair mindedness of some of the constabulary. Even more so among the young and reckless.

I honestly suspect we have brought much of this shit upon ourselves.

Dave Lobster
13th July 2010, 11:53
ping they would come for me, but they knew better and toodled off after the other guy...... I would have got there badge numbers and sent a lovely letter to the police complaints authority for sure.......

No point. You'll get an argumentative dick ring you up to tell you the police are allowed to do dangerous things. And that your name will go on a list.. any further complaints re: police driving will be ignored.

HenryDorsetCase
13th July 2010, 12:22
It's true, that could definitely happen. Three(?) weeks ago Jessica was hit at traffic lights whilst stationary by a drunk driver and the car was written off around her. As it is, the odds are pretty good, I'm not going to give myself a heart attack worrying about it.

Need a had to find the fucker and sort him out?

Also, I'm totally buying a Mazda Familia: they do 169kph!!!

it must have a ginormous end can and blow off valve to do that, huh? I bet it was SCREAMING....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3912218/Man-clocked-at-169kmh

HenryDorsetCase
13th July 2010, 12:25
Personally I believe the real problem is with the executers (Judges) of the Punishment(s). The consequence for doing a runner is laughable, the punishment for speeding is laughable, the execution of the Justice system laughable. Too remove any ambiguity; the Defendant needs to have a message imposed on them that is not only harsh but decisive and public.

It will not take the clowns long to understand that even if they think about doing a runner or place other peoples lives at risk they will suffer and suffer badly.

As a Nation we have become soft. This starts in the home, is carried through the schooling system and for a large number, through their criminal career. They are give a clear message by the 'System' that 'its ok' to offend as they have Rights. Hit em swiftly and hit em hard.

whatever dude. Judges have limited discretion in these matters. and you start from a position that "speed is dangerous" when in fact speed is not dangerous at all.

Sudden stops are dangerous. New Zealand drivers are dangerous. People with boi ricer cars are (or tend to be) dangerous. But velocity per se is not.

bogan
13th July 2010, 12:31
Tasering fat people would be hilarious. I'm off to youtube to look.

find any good-uns? This thread needs more lols.

imdying
13th July 2010, 12:37
Need a had to find the fucker and sort him out?He has been sorted mate. He'll still do it again, so not to my ultimate satisfaction but that's the way it is. The policeman was awesome though, chased some random on our say so, and had him and a confession in 2 minutes flat.

scumdog
13th July 2010, 12:42

Crazy Steve.[/QUOTE]

Hey, you're fat, you'll do!

motorbyclist
13th July 2010, 13:09
In my view instant and mandatory roadside loss of licence and or vehicle without the benefit of a trial are not powers that should be vested in the Police. .

+1

the kicker is that if you ARE innocent you will generally live out the term of your 1-3 month punishment before your defence will clear your name - all at high cost with no promise you'll ever recover it.

my brother just got stung by that - 15 months after a 28 day suspension a kind lady turned up at his driveway to take his licence for another three months; apparently they charged him with dangerous driving 15 months after the event without ever notifying him of the court date (ie serving notice) but knew where to go to collect the licence! As it stands it was cheaper and faster to get a work licence than go without a licence for three months going for "irregularity in proceedings" and then actually defend the charge. With a kid about 6 weeks away he can't risk thousands trying to clear his name, as in the likely event of success (on the irregularity in proceedings) he'd have his licence back anyway and be thousands poorer for it.

It's a true failing of a western "innocent until proven guilty" justice system when the innocent end up worse off than the guilty after having to defend a charge after/during the punishment isn't it?

idb
13th July 2010, 13:58
..............................some of those "officers" are a bunch of cowboys out on the road, which is a shame as many of them are perfectly reasonable and carry out their job in a professional manner :(

No...they're all pricks!!!

idb
13th July 2010, 14:00
...... Hit em swiftly and hit em hard.

Yeah, shock and awe on the roadside!!!

PirateJafa
13th July 2010, 14:03
+1

the kicker is that if you ARE innocent you will generally live out the term of your 1-3 month punishment before your defence will clear your name - all at high cost with no promise you'll ever recover it.

my brother just got stung by that - 15 months after a 28 day suspension a kind lady turned up at his driveway to take his licence for another three months; apparently they charged him with dangerous driving 15 months after the event without ever notifying him of the court date (ie serving notice) but knew where to go to collect the licence! As it stands it was cheaper and faster to get a work licence than go without a licence for three months going for "irregularity in proceedings" and then actually defend the charge. With a kid about 6 weeks away he can't risk thousands trying to clear his name, as in the likely event of success (on the irregularity in proceedings) he'd have his licence back anyway and be thousands poorer for it.

It's a true failing of a western "innocent until proven guilty" justice system when the innocent end up worse off than the guilty after having to defend a charge after/during the punishment isn't it?

Has he taken into account the effect that his acceptance of this dangerous driving charge will have on both his insurance premiums and potential employment opportunities in the future?

It might very well be worth spending the couple thousand now.

avgas
13th July 2010, 14:28
Also, I'm totally buying a Mazda Familia: they do 169kph!!!
From wiki

"The rare JDM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Domestic_Market) GT-R rally version was added in 1992, featuring a number of performance enhancements over the GTX model: a stronger gearbox (G5M-R (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mazda_G5M-R_transmission&action=edit&redlink=1)), sodium filled exhaust valve stems, an aggressive front bumper, grill and bonnet vents, updated rear bumper, wheel flares, stiffer suspension and anti-roll bars with thicker cross members, stronger engine internals, larger IHI RHF6CB VJ-23 roller-bearing turbo, and homologated five stud wheel hubs with larger brakes. The interior was all leather and suede and had the option of replacing the cupholder with a 3 gauge cluster. The GTR has these engine and management benefits over a stock GTX: stronger connecting rods and pistons, bigger oil squirters, larger nose crank, bigger oil cooler, sodium filled valves, inlet manifold is baffled, bigger injectors (from 330cc(black) to 440cc(orange)), removed boost cut, front mounted intercooler, VJ23 turbo ball bearing watercooled turbocharger. The GTR has 156 kW"

So yeah I imagine it goes a bit

schrodingers cat
13th July 2010, 17:16
Grey Power have agreed to assist Police with any future chases. Appropriate tactics and training (see image one) will be given. On hearing sirens window twitching coffin dodger will clatter to the roadside with their zimmer frame and 'doof doof' supressor.

Trials thus far have proved to be a resounding success (see image 2). There will be no u-turns on this policy

dangerous
13th July 2010, 17:56
Um, I think we all know he doesn't do Dress UP...:innocent:true... dress 'down' is his thing

some of those "officers" are a bunch of cowboys out on the road, which is a shame as many of them are perfectly reasonable and carry out their job in a professional manner :(
No...they're all pricks!!!yeah, but the odd one is a 'good prick'

motorbyclist
13th July 2010, 18:04
Has he taken into account the effect that his acceptance of this dangerous driving charge will have on both his insurance premiums and potential employment opportunities in the future?

It might very well be worth spending the couple thousand now.

unfortunately with his first child being due some time in the next 4-6 weeks he can't afford to be in a legal battle nor reliant on others for transport.

If the innocent were guaranteed full compensation for their defence, it might be possible, but as it is many new zealanders are bankrupted trying to defend their innocence (not just for traffic charges but more serious ones too) and are left bankrupt even after being found innocent.

freedom-wedge
14th July 2010, 19:15

Maybe they just got addicted to drag after long periods of under cover ops who knows ?

Genestho
14th July 2010, 19:43
In my view instant and mandatory roadside loss of licence and or vehicle without the benefit of a trial are not powers that should be vested in the Police. As evidenced by a sizeable percentage of posters on this board there are those who (with or without cause) have deep suspicions of the integrity and/or fair mindedness of some of the constabulary. Even more so among the young and reckless.

I honestly suspect we have brought much of this shit upon ourselves.

If there's visual evidence that some one is dangerously driving, why not instantly remove the car at the roadside?

I'm told this is how alot of seriously drunk drivers have been caught, and stopped then and there.
And how do you tell if some one is 'merely' driving dangerously or severely drunk? You don't until you pull them over.

I have more faith in the integrity of most police than alot of drivers who've been pulled up and had cars impounded.

CW- What's your workable alternative to mandatory roadside license and vehicle removal? (serious question)

And yes, it has been bought upon ourselves.
:yes:

motorbyclist
14th July 2010, 19:50
If there's visual evidence that some one is dangerously driving, why not instantly remove the car at the roadside?

I'm told this is how alot of seriously drunk drivers have been caught, and stopped then and there.
And how do you tell if some one is merely driving dangerously or severely drunk? You don't until you pull them over.

I have more faith in the integrity of most police than alot of drivers who've been pulled up and had cars impounded.

CW- What's your workable alternative to mandatory roadside license and vehicle removal? (serious question)

the problem here is often (and there's been a few recent cases) cops will pull up a different vehicle to the one they clicked at speed and the poor driver/rider is essentially guilty on the roadside without a trial.

drunk driving is different from 40+ speeding in that after failing the breath test you must accompany the officer back to the station for evidential breath/blood test - you don't have your licence taken until after turning up in court.

the car is impounded only if the driver of the vehicle (regardless of if they are the owner or not) is on a suspended licence.

taking the licence on the spot really does nothing but punish as guilty before trial to establish that guilt over innocence. This is not the case for any other charge i am aware of and is NOT how your justice system is meant to work.

Genestho
14th July 2010, 19:56
the problem here is often (and there's been a few recent cases) cops will pull up a different vehicle to the one they clicked at speed and the poor driver/rider is essentially guilty on the roadside without a trial.

drunk driving is different from 40+ speeding in that after failing the breath test you must accompany the officer back to the station for evidential breath/blood test - you don't have your licence taken until after turning up in court.

the car is impounded only if the driver of the vehicle (regardless of if they are the owner or not) is on a suspended licence.

taking the licence on the spot really does nothing but punish as guilty before trial to establish that guilt over innocence. This is not the case for any other charge i am aware of and is NOT how your justice system is meant to work.

That's unfortunate - do you have links/sources of these recent cases please Sir?:D

PirateJafa
14th July 2010, 20:05
That's unfortunate - do you have links/sources of these recent cases please Sir?:D

Feel free to ask Mister "Madness" and Mister "Death_INC" on this very site.

scumdog
14th July 2010, 21:35

Blow over 650 and your licence is gone for 28 days before you even step into the Court.

And if you're a born loser your Court appearance will be 27 days after you get your licence plucked and then you get the mandatory 6-month disqually, total of 7 months, bad luck eh!

Drive during that 28 days and the car/bike is plucked from under your hot little arse and you get six months disqually - then when your drink-driving case comes up? - guess what!

motorbyclist
15th July 2010, 00:06
lol yeah it's pretty frightening how stupid some people can be - to actually be over the limit you have to be pretty bloody pissed - but still some people do it regardless of the consequences

One of the country's worst repeat drink drivers is behind bars after clocking up 17 driving convictions.

Carla Reid's a repeat offender who was jailed on Friday for 15 months after being convicted of drink driving for a sixth time and receiving her eleventh conviction for driving while disqualified

Just last week a Tauranga woman, Raquel Kiwi, racked up her eleventh conviction for drink driving and was jailed for 21 months and 71-year-old Alison Downer received a fourth drink driving conviction and a two-year-two-month sentence after she killed cyclist Frank van Kampen.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/nz-s-worst-repeat-drink-driver-jailed-3469578

Patrick
15th July 2010, 01:52
...drunk driving is different from 40+ speeding in that after failing the breath test you must accompany the officer back to the station for evidential breath/blood test - you don't have your licence taken until after turning up in court.

Blow over 650 and your licence is gone for 28 days before you even step into the Court.

And if you're a born loser your Court appearance will be 27 days after you get your licence plucked and then you get the mandatory 6-month disqually, total of 7 months, bad luck eh!

Drive during that 28 days and the car/bike is plucked from under your hot little arse and you get six months disqually - then when your drink-driving case comes up? - guess what!

AND.... (you forget, Scummy.... Mr Motorbyclist might like to know....)

Blow over 400 and have a previous drink drive related conviction within 4 years, lose the licence on the spot for 28 days...

Have two or more within 4 years, lose licence and car for 28 days....

and on both occasions, go to court on the 27th day... mandatory loss of licence and forfeiture of car.....

Genestho
15th July 2010, 06:42
AND.... (you forget, Scummy.... Mr Motorbyclist might like to know....)

Blow over 400 and have a previous drink drive related conviction within 4 years, lose the licence on the spot for 28 days...

Have two or more within 4 years, lose licence and car for 28 days....

and on both occasions, go to court on the 27th day... mandatory loss of licence and forfeiture of car.....

OH and.....you may finally clock up 20 convictions for the same offence and 35 for disqualified driving...and get two years jail http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10656799 or two and a half http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10657718

As progressive as those sentences are (in comparison to some past) - as they should be - but, maybe a little earlier would send a more apt message...however, kill someone with a history of repeat offences and apparently you'll get the same time!:scratch:

"the killing was the alcoholic's fourth drink-driving conviction since 1991. She had twice previously blown almost three times the legal breath-alcohol limit"

http://www.3news.co.nz/Widow-disgusted-by-sentence-of-drink-driving-grandma-/tabid/423/articleID/140090/Default.aspx

Meanwhile, somewhere over the rainbow....."Suzanne Amelia Carlson, 27, was convicted by a jury in March of second-degree murder under the legal theory that she knew because of her prior drunken-driving convictions that drinking and driving was dangerous but elected to do so anyway.
Carlson had three other convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol"

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/carlson-253072-driving-turner.html

Patrick
15th July 2010, 11:27
Sad but true T.G.W......

Makes us all scratch our heads too..... but at least it is a tool we have to use at the roadside, instantly.... be it only for 28 days.....

The rest is up to the court. They do the sentencing.

And there lies the problem........... looking at the examples above from T.G.W......

cold comfort
26th July 2010, 22:43
OH and.....you may finally clock up 20 convictions for the same offence and 35 for disqualified driving...and get two years jail http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10656799 or two and a half http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10657718

As progressive as those sentences are (in comparison to some past) - as they should be - but, maybe a little earlier would send a more apt message...however, kill someone with a history of repeat offences and apparently you'll get the same time!:scratch:

"the killing was the alcoholic's fourth drink-driving conviction since 1991. She had twice previously blown almost three times the legal breath-alcohol limit"

http://www.3news.co.nz/Widow-disgusted-by-sentence-of-drink-driving-grandma-/tabid/423/articleID/140090/Default.aspx

Meanwhile, somewhere over the rainbow....."Suzanne Amelia Carlson, 27, was convicted by a jury in March of second-degree murder under the legal theory that she knew because of her prior drunken-driving convictions that drinking and driving was dangerous but elected to do so anyway.
Carlson had three other convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol"

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/carlson-253072-driving-turner.html

Agreed the cut off point should have occurred long before that. The stunning thing is people with this number of convictions get a period of disqualification LESS than their jail term!
How about life time bans. They are obviously too thick to connect the dots. Also what is the idea of "interlocks" or zero alcohol level for recidivists? If they are allowed a licence they are STILL going to be recidivists and therefore non-compliant. So don't give them a bloody licence!
The Govt has sold out to the liquor industry with their latest law changes by the look of it despite Aussies experience that a lower lever for all works.

Genestho
27th July 2010, 08:17
Agreed the cut off point should have occurred long before that. The stunning thing is people with this number of convictions get a period of disqualification LESS than their jail term!
How about life time bans. They are obviously too thick to connect the dots.
The Govt has sold out to the liquor industry with their latest law changes by the look of it despite Aussies experience that a lower lever for all works.

While I'm concerned at what level the liquor industry plays, yesterday I read an article in the Australian Medical Journal, I don't believe the Govt sold out, I think they saw what was right in front of them.

The evidence from Australia shows lowering limits worked initially, then the numbers rose again.
The available evidence in NZ that started this debate showed any reduction from .8 to .5 was going to be a minimal change at best, that most drivers - infact over half involved in alcohol related fatalities were 2 and 3 times over the limit.

57% of these same stats were either unlicensed, never held a license or incomplete license holders - learners and restricted.
Aside from that we do not have a complete picture with alot of unrecorded levels. We don't have all of the evidence, and we do need research.

With youth measures it's social engineering of a culture change, and working on the repeats - there are a whole load of issues there.
I have no doubt that lowering limits will happen eventually it's all about culture change, and I'm surprised it hasn't, but perhaps finally - they're working on the problem areas.

Giant steps in the right direction.
And for the gutless quotes from Labour - who incidently had the same information, National are already doing something they didn't and were not going to, which was to listen.
Stoked :)