PDA

View Full Version : Long weekend to Napier

Hitcher
29th May 2005, 17:55
It's winter and we hadn't been for a long ride for a while. Stress and depression were seeping in where they shouldn't be allowed. So on Friday a "mental health day" was declared, bikes were loaded up with clothes for awaying, and away we did go.

And Friday was a spanking good day for a ride. The Takas were clean and dry, with little wind to worry about. The birds were singing in the trees, the sun was beaming from the Blue Yonder. God was in his heaven and we were astride our bikes going somewhere. Fantastic!

The countryside was lush and green. The brunch and coffee at Greytown were outstanding. SH2 was deliriously uncluttered by by traffic. The world was ours to explore and enjoy.

To Napier we duly rode, via Highway 50 and Havelock North. The Bay had had some showers earlier in the afternoon, but we missed all of that drama and basked in the late afternoon sun.

Stroll we did, after parking up our rides at a place of spa-pooled hostelry, down to the eating places by the Ahuriri wharf. And quaff did we, most merrily, upon the assembled victuals, ales and elixirs of the grape.

Saturday dawned fine and warm. 19 degrees isn't too shabby for a weekend near the end of May. So we went exploring and discovered another stunning Hawke's Bay loop road ride. Another Nurburgring in the Bay.

Hawke's Bay riders may know this route well. We went up the Napier-Taihape Road from Omahu, through Sherenden to Otamauri, where we turned off and came back down the Matapiro road. This was a truly stunning ride. The road climbs steadily up to Sherenden, with some nice twisty corners to whet the riding palate. From Sherenden to Otamauri the terrain rises and falls a bit, again with nice corners. After turning off the "main" road at Otamauri, the next few km are tightly winding, with some new seal to heighten the senses. Then the road drops off back onto the Ngaruroro river floodplain and straightens up. The bottom end of the Matapiro road has some wonderful stretches of corners that cry out to be carved by motocyclists. But the best carving corners of the lot are to be found on the Napier-Taihape road immediately out of Omahu -- a 2-3km stretch of high-speed esses. Lovely. Sussed them out on the way up, murdered them on the way back. A VERY naughty boy I was...

After a coffee at the Sileni Vineyard it was off across country to Middle Road and a run down to Patangata, across the Tukituki River, up to Elsthorpe and back to Clive. Ahh. Contentment. Blissful contentment. The "other" Hawke's Bay Nurburgring and an old favourite. The countryside was lush and green. The sheep and cattle happy with their lot in the warm autumn sunshine.

We arrived back at our lodgings in time to fire up the spa, have a long leisurely soak before wandering back down to the Ahuriri wharf for dinner. And then the Crusaders did the decent thing against the Warratahs.

Today we returned via SH2 for a change, taking in the twin cities of Waipawa and Waipukurau. By Takapau the sun deserted us and the temperature plummetted from a balmy 19 degrees to 11 degrees as we climbed up towards Norsewood and the wind and rain. And boy, did it wind and rain!

The rain eased a bit by Woodville but we decided to cut through the Manawatu Gorge and return via the west coast. The day cleared markedly from Palmerston North but by Levin we were back into a very wet shower. Fine again by Otaki and a calm and orderly trundle home.

The bikes are absolutely filthy. But we are happy and relaxed in that special way that only a weekend away on motorcycles can deliver. Top fun!

Sensei
29th May 2005, 18:20
Sounds like a excellent Trip Hitch :ride:

Yarg
29th May 2005, 19:12
Sounds like a good trip :ride:

hondacmx450
29th May 2005, 23:28
i lived in pahiatua for a spell and have done the ride you have just been on reading that i felt like i was with you just for that little spell im glade you like it and thanx for the cool worded trip :niceone:

MSTRS
30th May 2005, 09:27
Hawke's Bay riders may know this route well. We went up the Napier-Taihape Road from Omahu, through Sherenden to Otamauri, where we turned off and came back down the Matapiro road. This was a truly stunning ride. The road climbs steadily up to Sherenden, with some nice twisty corners to whet the riding palate. From Sherenden to Otamauri the terrain rises and falls a bit, again with nice corners. After turning off the "main" road at Otamauri, the next few km are tightly winding, with some new seal to heighten the senses. Then the road drops off back onto the Ngaruroro river floodplain and straightens up. The bottom end of the Matapiro road has some wonderful stretches of corners that cry out to be carved by motocyclists. But the best carving corners of the lot are to be found on the Napier-Taihape road immediately out of Omahu -- a 2-3km stretch of high-speed esses. Lovely. Sussed them out on the way up, murdered them on the way back. A VERY naughty boy I was...

We do indeed know that loop well - it is a gem beyond compare. The invoice for it's use is in the mail.

mangell6
30th May 2005, 09:51
MSTRS Having completed portions of described roads and as the Hitcher 'enjoyed' himself emmensely from the above description I would add an 'enjoyment levy' to the invoice. :lol:

MSTRS
30th May 2005, 10:10
MSTRS Having completed portions of described roads and as the Hitcher 'enjoyed' himself emmensely from the above description I would add an 'enjoyment levy' to the invoice. :lol:
nah - we're not that mean here in the Bay. BUT a publication tax was included. It is one thing to find the road & ride it, but quite another to tell Everybody.

Hitcher
30th May 2005, 10:18
Mrs H enjoyed it too. Is that double-dipping?

And Mike, do you now have a new role as a revenue collector for the Hawke's Bay District Council?

MSTRS
30th May 2005, 10:31
Mrs H enjoyed it too. Is that double-dipping?

We save money by sending one invoice only. All participants are included however (as itemised breakdown will show)

......... Hawke's Bay District Council?
Never heard of them. We are the BDOTGHBL :rofl:

vifferman
30th May 2005, 10:34
Sounds wonderful, Mr H.

Jealous, I am.

One day, I'll do a weekend ride myself, I hope.

Hitcher
30th May 2005, 10:41
We are the BDOTGHBL
"L"? I hope that's not Engrish for Region...

MSTRS
30th May 2005, 10:47
Loop...sonnyjim. And the 10% discount for early payment just got a bit shaky

LB
31st May 2005, 03:18
Great write-up Hitcher. Almost made me think about taking the bikes to Morrinsville this long w/end....almost.