PDA

View Full Version : New Boots

James Deuce
29th May 2005, 18:40
I have big feet. Just on the cusp of having to get shoes made for me. I am a size 48(M).

Have a look at the table in my profile to get an idea just how big:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=562

My previous boots were superb when I first got them, but because my foot is so long, I place a great deal of stress on any of my shoes, right where they flex at your toes. The repeated flexion of walking in them caused the coating to peel off, rendering them very much NOT waterproof.

The search for a new pair took me about 4 weeks of web surfing, bleating at bike shops, and going through catalogues to find just two manufacturers who made a sport style boot with toe sliders and a Goretex lining.

So I bought the most expensive pair through my favourite 'bike shop.

My wife says I should only be allowed to shop with her in tow, and I think she may be right.

However the boots I bought were the most blingy and have protection that looks like it may actually work. Introducing the Oxtar TCS Goretex.

TCS stands for "Torsion Control System" (see attachment), and is supposed to stop your ankle from being twisted far enough in any direction to cause soft tissue damage or even a fracture. I hope to never ever truly test it, but it is a nice insurance policy nevertheless.

The boots themselves are VERY comfortable, fitting firmly without being painful, have good grippy soles and are actually waterproof. When I was running in the R6 I suffered through 3 hours of continuous downpour, but my feet stayed perfectly dry. Their heel, ankle, and shin protection looks very sturdy, and again even though I don't want to test it, the thought of breaking my heel or ankle makes me cringe, so it's nice to actually have some extra protection.

The first time I rode the R6 with them on I got a clear run through every set of lights from just outside Motorad to Melling lights in the Hutt - an occurence that has never ever happened to me before, and is probably unlikely to be repeated. So while I was marvelling at how comfy the boots were, and how little lateral movement I had in the boots I wasn't prepared for what happened at my first stop.

I couldn't get my boot off the peg. It hung up on the knob on the end of the footpeg. I think the scream went something like (forgive me if I left anything out if you were the lady in the Blue Honda Odessey next to me laughing her head off), "ohmygodnonotmynewbikeyou motherf___ernonononono...thank f__k" at about 122dB. Rather than sliding my foot off, the movement goes lift and forward instead.

Great boots but.

Zed
29th May 2005, 19:12
So I bought the most expensive pair through my favourite 'bike shop.

However the boots I bought were the most blingy and have protection that looks like it may actually work. Introducing the Oxtar TCS Goretex.mmmm *nice* boots Bigfoot, they look like the most expensive pair of the lot!! :niceone:

Make sure you keep em shined Sasquatch! :-p

Motu
29th May 2005, 20:10
I have the opposite problem,having a petite girl like figure (so ok,7mths pregnant these last few years) and used to buy my clothes in the schoolboy section at Farmers.Real men have boots starting with size 8,and I take size 7,I used to wear Junior MX boots....and my Gaerne trials boots I now have are second hand,they are the importers son's because he didn't have any in my size.Any boots is better than no boots.

Odin
29th May 2005, 20:33
I have big feet for my size but I'm not very tall so end up being in the "normal" bracket. I am currently looking for some new boots, the ones i have ar the cowboy stile ones with the bull-nose-ring on the side. I wan't some with protection for the gear toe :niceone:, But i think i got a scottish gen in me some where as they all just seem a bit expensive :no:

FROSTY
29th May 2005, 20:53
fantastic boots those-When I got my sidi's not much else matched em.
Ohh and about the footpeg problem--Ill swap the ill fitting R6 for my xj900 -huge sacrifice im happy to make for you.

Jeremy
29th May 2005, 21:07
Any chance of some sort of ball park figure as to how much you'd expect to pay?

FROSTY
29th May 2005, 21:24
good quality boots start at $250 .Mine cost me $300 I think but I got a special deal

James Deuce
29th May 2005, 21:50
Mine were, "What, say that again?"

Around $500. But the other choice was $450 and not so blingy. But that is also because I limited my choices to something with toe sliders and Goretex. I ride in the rain, and I tend to drag my toes for some reason.

Lou Girardin
30th May 2005, 09:04
Oxtars are great boots. I've got the Explorer Goretex model, they've never leaked a drop even in pissing down, can't see 5 metres ahead type rain.

vifferman
30th May 2005, 09:37
So, what are these made of, Jim? Leather, or Lorica?

My StylMartin Stradas are "full leather, coated for water-resistance", or some such bollix. Whatever; they are waterproof. However, the flexing etc. cracked the "water-resistant coating" making them look a little scruffy.
I bought mine because I have wide, flat feet, and these were supremely comfy from the very first wearing. Plus they're water-resistant (never leaked, if you don't count being caught in unexpected rain and having the water run down my leathers into 'em as 'leaking'), and have adjustment on both sides of the boot via hook'n'loop (velcro) flaps, and armour on both sides of the ankle, which other boots in my weird footshape didn't have. Being leather, they don't sweat as much as Lorica ones, and are more comfy to walk in.

Crash tested, they bore up very well. I had my leg squished between the VFR750 and an Audi, and was (almost) able to walk (well, hobble) afterwards.

Where are Oxtars made? (Not that it's relevant). I'm on the lookout for summat to replace my StylMartins when they get too baggy/saggy to wear, hence the question about leather/Lorica. At the moment they're still OK, but wearing them every day is giving them a hard time. Last boots lasted about 7 years (well, they're still alive, but need resoling).

mangell6
30th May 2005, 09:55
I ride in the rain, and I tend to drag my toes for some reason.

KNUCKLES??????

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Pwalo
30th May 2005, 14:39
Cripes Jim, how do you manage to use the gear lever on that dainty R6.

vifferman
30th May 2005, 14:41
Cripes Jim, how do you manage to use the gear lever on that dainty R6.
I suspect he's had a conversion done, so it has one of those nifty hand-operated shifts, with the gate attached to the side of the tank.

James Deuce
30th May 2005, 15:16
They are Leather uppers.

Hitcher
30th May 2005, 15:59
My new Oxtars got "baptised" yesterday. And leak they didn't. No bling on mine, just Goretex. Fantastic product. My previous boots were Daytona Goretex and leak not they did until a Kawasaki ZRX1200R chewed one a bit as it was breaking its fall.

The Oxtars are a great fit. And well made. And reasonably priced (for the non-bling version). And waterproof!

bungbung
31st May 2005, 08:52
I think I have the same model as Jim2. I have a similar sized foot, so I bought the Oxtar TCS something something goretex model.

Riding back from National Park in the rain (only an hour or two) I had no leakage at all and almost warm feet.

Lou Girardin
31st May 2005, 09:41
Where are Oxtars made? (Not that it's relevant). I'm on the lookout for summat to replace my StylMartins when they get too baggy/saggy to wear, hence the question about leather/Lorica. At the moment they're still OK, but wearing them every day is giving them a hard time. Last boots lasted about 7 years (well, they're still alive, but need resoling).

Italy, where else?

Coldkiwi
31st May 2005, 12:41
I was looking at some OXtars on trade me the other day. Which stores around auckland flog them? my Stylmartins have reached the end of their waterproof days due to my incessant commuting.