PDA

View Full Version : What to Get ...

DirtMad
29th May 2005, 19:55
Firstly Id like to say a big hello to everyone on first post !
Im new to dirt bike riding and have had little experience on mototrbikes in general. I own a modified GTR skyline (the shape they raced at bathurst back in the days) and Im looking for a little side hobby ;-)
Ive been looking at some bikes on trademe and bikepoint but Id really appreciate some advice on where to start. I think it will be used at such places as woodhill forest, and beach / farm land.. I weigh approx 70kg and and obviously small to average height and build.
Ive been looking at such bikes as a "KDX 200" and "XR 200" but Im wondering if these are too much for me to handle? hehe. Would I be better off with a 125cc or even 80cc bike??
All helpful advice much appreciated!
Kev.

Odin
29th May 2005, 20:03
Welcome in :niceone:

Have you got expirience with road bikes or are you new to bikes all together ?

DirtMad
29th May 2005, 20:34
Ive just had little 50cc bikes in the past ( a 2 and a 4 stroke). No road bike license or experience :whistle:

Motu
29th May 2005, 20:40
Welcome to the site.

Of course the KDX is the better bike - for racing,the XR200 is a great beginners bike...I had one when I was 40 and it made me feel 16 again.A bike you can learn on and then work up to riding it at 110% and hang onto the tail of a KDX if he's not a very good rider.Of all the bikes I've ever owned I think the XR200 was the most fun,the labrador of the motorcycle world...eager to please and never bites the hand of those who feed him.Go for the XR.

DirtMad
29th May 2005, 20:49
thanks for the help ;-) sorry about my Noob knowledge.. I presume youre thinking a 200cc bike wont be too much if i take it a bit easy first :nono: hehe

Kwaka-Kid
29th May 2005, 22:02
have PM'ed you dude.

and even a beginner couldnt take an XR200 easy :P they are very easy to thrash about due to lack of power... but still a shitload of fun! KDX could be next step up maybe? if u do go KDX just means more room to learn for later on (but possibly slower learning first up, not as easy)

Cary
29th May 2005, 22:45
if u do go KDX just means more room to learn for later on (but possibly slower learning first up, not as easy)

I'd go for the KDX, bulletproof but easy to fix if something should go wrong. I think the KDX would make the better first bike and good for the longer term. :niceone:

DirtMad
30th May 2005, 21:49
thanks guys :Punk:
got my eyes on a `99 KDX200 at the mo.. gotta wait till this *#&* weather lets up first...

enigma51
30th May 2005, 22:02
have PM'ed you dude.

and even a beginner couldnt take an XR200 easy :P they are very easy to thrash about due to lack of power... but still a shitload of fun! KDX could be next step up maybe? if u do go KDX just means more room to learn for later on (but possibly slower learning first up, not as easy)
Second that :ride:

Motu
30th May 2005, 22:40
I think the power delivery is a bit aggressive on the KDX200 for a beginner,could be a bit daunting for awhile.I never got bored with lack of power from the XR200,I just rode harder and learnt more.

Henk
2nd June 2005, 19:25
I'm going to go against the grain here and sugest the KDX over the XR. A KDX with a stock pipe has incredibly mellow power and won't bite. If the bike you buy has an aftermaket pipe there are stock pipes all ver the place so it shouldn't be hard to get one. The XR is a good learners bike no doubt but you will be replacing quickly. The KDX can go from a good learners bike to something that can still take enduro class wins with the right rider in the right conditions with a few cheapish mods.

Henk
2nd June 2005, 19:26
Just an add on to that last post. Make sure you get a 95 or later. They haven't changed since then baring the graphics

Kwaka-Kid
2nd June 2005, 22:48
sounds like u know a bit henk, i own a KDX200H myself... what mods dude?

DirtMad
4th June 2005, 17:02
got myself a bike now aye :-) kdx200h 98/6 but need to figure out how the gears work... lol . fill me in :niceone:
im also looking at some riding gear. am I right that "oneal" and "fly" are the cheap brands? I was thinking of getting some fly 805 boots and shirt,pant,gloves ... cause its alot of money upfront.. should be ok gear for awhile?

Kwaka-Kid
4th June 2005, 17:06
AWESOME! let me be the first to say congrats!

well done dude.

Your are fairly right on the gear there, however flick me a PM later and i can give you some better advice, and prolly have some spare gear that will help you aswell.

Anyways, till then! And we can go ride our KDX's

p.s, from neutral, down shift into 1st, then the other 5 gears are up (and it skips neutral when the bike is rolling straight thru to second, mostly that is, hehe)

DirtMad
4th June 2005, 17:22
ahh cool, though it was 1down, 5up hehe. thanks for all the help! hugely appreciated :Punk:
will send pm Kwaka-Kid

PICS of bike here: http://adydas.sideways.co.nz/gallery/index.php?dir=GTRgod
(just click on "KDX200" else youll see car pix lol)

NordieBoy
4th June 2005, 18:44
Just got a KDX200 myself.

Sort of...

KDX200c chassis and rear wheel - Trademe
KX125 upside down complete front end - Trademe
SuperTrapp IDS2 - Trademe

Going to cram an XR250 engine in there.
Good suspension and mellow engine.

Now to learn to weld...

Henk
4th June 2005, 20:55
Mods
Start with a pipe. There are lots of options from mellow to crazy, Throw away the airbox lid or butcher it so that you only leave enough room to bolt the CDI to, possibly fit a RAD valve. The most important thing to do with KDX's is to sort the suspension. The front is sprung to soft and the rear too hard stock. Gold valves in the forks also help. If you can get the KX front end that bolts straight on it's a good idea since the forks hang down too far on the stockers and get caught in ruts. Of course with the stock forks you get better at riding around and wheelstanding through ruts which will stand you in good stead no matter what bike you ride later.
Not sure that I'd go with the XR motor though, if you can get the right motor they're prety mellow anyway and not as heavy.
We do have a '99 KDX, it's my wifes bike.

NordieBoy
4th June 2005, 21:57
Not sure that I'd go with the XR motor though, if you can get the right motor they're prety mellow anyway and not as heavy.

I dont have a KDX motor and I don't like 2 strokes - nasty things.
I will however have a spare 1979 XR250 engine from my race bike :D

sels1
4th June 2005, 22:11
Firstly Id like to say a big hello to everyone on first post !

And hello to you too. Welcome to the site and congrats on buying the bike. Getting some good safety gear is a good idea too. Plenty of info on this site, just use the seach function.

Kwaka-Kid
5th June 2005, 09:48
nah nordie boy, its an XR500 or nothing at all.. XR250 = too underpowered, less the KDX, and the XR500A motor is only 1inch taller head then XR250 for oh so much more grunty gruntys :D

NordieBoy
5th June 2005, 23:56
nah nordie boy, its an XR500 or nothing at all.. XR250 = too underpowered, less the KDX, and the XR500A motor is only 1inch taller head then XR250 for oh so much more grunty gruntys :D

No no no...
A 250 can be raced in smallbore, midbore, open 4...
A 500 can be raced in open 4...
And anyway the 250 is too much for me anyway :(

:D