PDA

View Full Version : Best touring gear?

Gremlin
14th July 2010, 20:25
Ok... so the options are starting to do my head in a bit... so surely someone here has gone through the same thing of looking for the best performing gear for long distance/endurance riding.

We're talking gear withstanding 20+ hours of continuous rain, while not being so ridiculous to use, it takes ages to do a toilet stop. 0 degree temperatures need to be comfortably handled as well (thermals are a given, but they only do so much).

1pc leather suits with 1pc rain suits over the top work quite well, but you need to be an acrobat to get out of it to go to the toilet, then you have to get into it, plus its not overly warm (or worse, has freaken vents in the leather for summer).

2pc revit cordura was Ok (Expedition Jacket with Revit Proton Pants) with a rain jacket over the top, except the rain jacket soaked through, the mesh outer of the jacket got wet, and I lost most wind and some thermal protection, so when the wind picked up and the temperature dropped to less than 10 in the middle of the day... I froze.

I've started investigating the Revit Infinity Suit, Motomail can bring in one for me (if it actually fits - and its not held in stock) around $2500... Then I notice the Spidi Admiral suit... not as good as the Revit sure, would it perform? Then the protection ability of cordura worries me in an off.

Or perhaps the Revit Cayenne Pro Jacket and pants :blink: Oh hell... whats going to work. I need it to survive testing conditions, but not be buttoned up like Michelin man...

Suggestions?

Quasievil
14th July 2010, 20:29
RUKKA..............end of story.
Im the NZ agent and will have it on the site soon.

tell me what you want and I can price it up for you mate.

Gremlin
14th July 2010, 20:52
Never heard of Rukka? Anyone has any stories of it?

Jacket and pants (zip together if 2pc), or 1 pc... Water and wind resistant for many hours and good protection for the unplanned excursions into ditches. Since I'm a lazy bastard, it mustn't need waxing etc to retain its resistance to water.

Armour in shoulders, knees, elbows, back is sorted already with the knox chest and back.

Multiple liners is probably obvious (pants need a thermal liner if possible), but based on performance of previous gear, the outside of jacket being mesh doesn't go well with water.

Good quality, so that it doesn't fall apart :yes: Simple so that toilet stops can be achieved quickly :innocent:

Will be used for up to 24 hours in a single hit (any conditions), or 2 weeks of long ish days of riding (ie, thousand km a day) - in any conditions.

Hitcher
14th July 2010, 20:58
I bought a one-piece Revit oversuit before last year's Grand Challenge. It would have to rank up there as the single-most stupid invention for the touring rider ever.

Gremlin
14th July 2010, 21:02
I bought a one-piece Revit oversuit before last year's Grand Challenge. It would have to rank up there as the single-most stupid invention for the touring rider ever.
:lol: Rain oversuit, or with protection etc? The 1pc rainsuits (I have a dririder) are probably the most waterproof thing I've worn, but simply not practical to wear for a whole day, move around in, and basically, exist in it.

I've tried a 2pc dririder (thunderstorm or something I think?) but the pants (even a 3XL) couldn't fit properly over cordura pants, difficult to sit on seat etc.

Rather than dressing up like Michelin man and unable to move, I want to use high quality gear that is easy to move around in. With the correct gear, a thousand km a day becomes quite fun, because you're keeping warm and dry.

Hitcher
14th July 2010, 21:06
It's a rain oversuit. It's only been worn once. Want to buy it? It goes over one's normal riding apparel and effectively curtails the timely deposition of bodily exudates.

Gremlin
14th July 2010, 21:10
No... I don't... I already have a dririder 1pc. You can imagine the lessons I learnt on my first Grand Challenge in 2008. 1 piece leather suit, 1 piece rain suit. Every stop, wriggling out of both suits, hopping around, then wriggling back into them. Suffice to say, lesson learnt.

I'll wait for that humpback from down south to get back to me and be a good little salesman about Rukka. It seems promising from the website and good reviews on the net rating it at the upper end. Made in Finland I think, and they're all crazy there, so the gear must be great :shifty:

MaxB
14th July 2010, 21:19
BMWs Kalahari jacket and trou or Aerostich made to measure (eg Darian) seem to be favourites with the long distance crowd overseas.

Brace yerself, they are not cheap but OTOH I know some one who literally lives in his Kalahari.

FWIW I had Rukka gear for my OE in the UK. Great jacket, warm and waterproof but I had an off caused by a taxi and it got shredded. But I walked away without a scratch so I guess it did the job.

spajohn
15th July 2010, 16:48
I can't vouch for 20+ hours although I've done 600kms mostly in rain/drizzle easily. I wear a Tiger Angel Guardian 2-piece suit. The leather is treated to be water proof, much like the BMW stuff, plus the optional goretex liner. Definitely need the thermals for warmth, but as a 6'4" guy being able to have a leather suit customised for approx AU$200 was awesome. About AU$2200 all up from memory. You can even tumble dry it, after a hand wash.

http://www.tigerangel.com.au/

banditrider
15th July 2010, 19:36
I see KoroJ is watching...he's gonna mention warehouse yellow coat & leggings...

It isn't going to rain this year (surely not 4 years in a row) but I'm leaving my one piece oversuit at home and going to trust my Alpinestars Goretex.

KoroJ
15th July 2010, 19:46
My Corduras were waterproof for a year or two and after that, I figured I didn't need an independently waterproof suit as I only had to block the worst and the corduras would still do the rest....cheap as warehouse vinyl suit hasn't let me down....yet! Some thermal improvement too.

Sidi boots are over 4 years old and yet to leak.

Rainoff gloves complete the ensemble.

Faired and screened Sport Tourer must make a big difference too?!

Neon
15th July 2010, 22:12
What about the Aerostitch Roadcrafter (http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-suits/roadcrafter-one-piece-suit.html)?

Scouse
16th July 2010, 02:53
Go to the BMW shop in Kingsland and check out the gear that they have.

NZsarge
16th July 2010, 06:48
RUKKA..............end of story.
Im the NZ agent and will have it on the site soon.

tell me what you want and I can price it up for you mate.

Could you start importing Tourmaster... Please...?

NZsarge
16th July 2010, 06:51
not be buttoned up like Michelin man...

Amen to that, sucks not being able to move on the bike properly for the sake of staying warm (and dry), been trying source a heated vest that fits me, not easy...

Snails pace
16th July 2010, 07:31
If it looks like a few hours in rain / cold winds or snow I put on good ole farm raincoat and leggings. Most companies make them but my coat is a Bullseye stormflex. Warm and very dry.Over the bike gear and extra wind chill layer. Put the hood up under the helmet and no rain tickling in under the helmet. For leggings I have a pair of goretex ski over trousers which zip right up either leg making them very easy to get on or off. Also have a pair of Colombia brand leggings that zip to just below the knee.

Quasievil
16th July 2010, 07:47
Could you start importing Tourmaster... Please...?

Would love to,investing in the bike industry right now isnt a brilliant idea tho

NZsarge
16th July 2010, 07:51
Would love to,investing in the bike industry right now isnt a brilliant idea tho

Bugger!

vifferman
16th July 2010, 08:00
I looked into this a couple of years ago, as I can't afford multiple suits, and with D'Auckland's changeable weather, wanted summat that I could get caught out in a sudden (not entirely) unexpected rainstorm on a sunny day. basically, I needed a 4-seasons suit. I ended up buying Spidi Gran Turismo pants, and a Macna Summit jacket. The pants are cordura (and amazingly abrasion-resistant!) with a waterproof/breathable liner, removable thermal liner, and leather on the seat and inside lower legs. They have vent zips on the upper thighs.
I was tossing <s>off</s> up whether to get the Spidi jacket to match, but in the end bought the Macna jacket because it was more comfy and fully leather. While I love the jacket, I wouldn't recommend it, as the construction (seams etc, fiddly little zips to join in the waterproof and thermal liners) isn't the best. If/when I replace it, I'd probably go with whatever iteration of touring jacket Spidi has.
Your alternative is leather gear, with waterproof separates over the top, which is what I used to wear. Better value for money, just more pissing around if you have to stop to put it on or take it off. I have Motoline overpants, and there was a matching jacket. Excellent kit, but I dunno iffen they still sell it.

Quasievil
16th July 2010, 08:32
Bugger!

Dont despair, I'm looking into it:yes:

Gremlin
16th July 2010, 15:55
so quasi, the armas jacket and pants seem to be the ones to look at? Protection and weather proof in one piece of gear. How many lungs or livers would they cost?

Quasievil
16th July 2010, 16:12
so quasi, the armas jacket and pants seem to be the ones to look at? Protection and weather proof in one piece of gear. How many lungs or livers would they cost?

lol

Do a bunch of research, you will notice they have very good reviews, also you tube them
price at retail is $3205.00

Alot I know, I WILL cut you a SUPER deal on this however.
to get it closer to $2k

Metastable
17th July 2010, 06:13
I'm just going to throw out some ideas for you.

Have you considered getting a Goretex shell (over sized) that you put over your jacket(s).... then same idea for pants? The nice thing is that it has breath-ability, so you don't start getting wet from the inside... then get cold when the temperatures drop.
Marmot minimalist is a good one:
http://marmot.com/products/minimalist_jacket
If you go this route, then get one that has a membrane, like Goretex, otherwise other water proof jackets etc... only have a coating that will start letting water through after a while. Plus membranes are breathable, as opposed to some rubbery material that is waterproof, but also not breathable.

Also, in terms of protective gear you could get something like:
http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/dainese%20shuttle%20pro%2005.jpg
OR
http://www.go-ride.com/product_images/Wave%20Vhr.jpg

So then you can wear "normal" clothes (including waterproof/breathable shell), but have protection under the warm/waterproof layers. Also like this it is easier to take off/add on layers depending on the temperature. The abrasion resistance in a crash would be crap for your outer layers.... they'd probably get destroyed.... but you'd be feeling OK.

Anyway, just a few things to think about.

BTW, dunno if you saw on your other thread, as I was a day late after your trackday, but Sportmax 211GPAs cold tire pressures are front29, rear 21.

Moki
26th July 2010, 23:15
Aerostich Roadcrafter

Gremlin
27th July 2010, 18:48
BTW, dunno if you saw on your other thread, as I was a day late after your trackday, but Sportmax 211GPAs cold tire pressures are front29, rear 21.
Not me metastable :lol:

Thanks guys for all the comments and tips. I've pretty much dropped the idea of Rev'it Infinity, as the two suits in Australia aren't big enough for me, and for $2500, doesn't have goretex etc. Its replacement later this year (Infinity GTX) will, but a, is late this year, and b, price will apparently be around the $3000 mark.

Looking worldwide at brands and models of suits, Rev'it doesn't feature alongside Rukka, Aerostich, Halvarssons or Hein Gericke, so I don't think their prices are justified yet.

Aerostich seems like a good option, but an old design and apparently prone to leaking around the zips (which is always a classic weak point for gear). If I have to choose between venting for hot weather and leakproof for cold wet weather, I'll take leakproof, as NZ seems to have less and less hot weather for days on end. Even going to Chch in March for the TT2000, there were thunderstorms and almost freezing weather... go figure :blink:

Spidi Admiral suit seems to be a bit of a copy to the Aerostich, if choosing, I'd probably try the Aerostich first.

Haven't looked at the BMW gear.

REALLY like the look of the Rukka Armas jacket and pants. Different type of zips to combat rain, and being a gear whore, all the neat stuff appeals to me. Should be able to T up a time to see Quasi this weekend to get sizing correct, won't take long to get here, not cheap, but lets see if its worth the dollars.

The 5 year warranty and my ability to have equipment fail on me, and no-one else appeals, so its probably going to get a good work out (although it will only be used for touring etc, too expensive to waste on commuting).

Moki
14th August 2010, 14:25
Aerostich RoadCrafter. Not bad buying at not much over a grand - landed in NZ.