PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Suzuki 650DL V-Strom

Bob
15th July 2010, 08:28
The 650DL V-Strom. No, not a mis-spelling – ‘strom’ means river, or current in German (still no idea why it was named after a river), combined with V to describe it being powered by the 645cc 90 degree v-twin that powers the phenomenally popular SV650S, it’s naked sibling the SV650 and it’s successor, the Gladius.

The V-Strom is very different to the other bikes mentioned; the V-Strom is a dual-purpose, on and off road bike, whereas the others are purely road going machines. So can the engine be used in such a different bike, and effectively at that?

Click here to see the rest of the review (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/09vstrom.htm)

Edbear
15th July 2010, 08:45
Good write-up Bob. I concur, the "Wee-Strom" is a great bike and were I looking for a bike to tour NZ on including the back roads, this is the bike I'd have! :yes:

I was very impressed with the few days I had one for when my C50T was in for its service a while ago. I loved it in traffic and it didn't disappoint in the Motorway either. :sunny:

Pwalo
15th July 2010, 12:41
Suzuki sure get a lot of use out of their 650 V Twin motor. The V Stroms seem very popular with the adventure riders in the US.

PrincessBandit
17th July 2010, 12:04
We went over to Holeshot this morning 'cos Balu wanted to have a look at a second hand DL1000 they've got there. He's very interested in the possibilities that a dual purpose bike, which would also be a good 2-upperer, might have.

They had some very nice looking 650s as well. But (I'm sidetracked here.....) I found the sweetest little bike which could tempt me once I get too old and doddery for the bandit. They have a pink and white S40 on the floor - as cuuuuuuute as a button! Talk about the girliest wee bike I've ever seen, I'd have to go for Barbie pink clothing and accessories.

What am I saying!!!!! please someone slap me across the face and bring me back to my senses!!!

Edbear
17th July 2010, 12:11
We went over to Holeshot this morning 'cos Balu wanted to have a look at a second hand DL1000 they've got there. He's very interested in the possibilities that a dual purpose bike, which would also be a good 2-upperer, might have.

They had some very nice looking 650s as well. But (I'm sidetracked here.....) I found the sweetest little bike which could tempt me once I get too old and doddery for the bandit. They have a pink and white S40 on the floor - as cuuuuuuute as a button! Talk about the girliest wee bike I've ever seen, I'd have to go for Barbie pink clothing and accessories.

What am I saying!!!!! please someone slap me across the face and bring me back to my senses!!!

Don't suppose you took a pic?

paturoa
18th July 2010, 10:37
Good write up.

My observation after 9 months with mine are the ABS hasn't shown itself so you must have been pushing the braking to notice it.

Issues for me are I originally had trouble with buffetting from the screen on my helmit. When I went to raise the screen to the higest setting, the factory bolts don't fit, Duh! (so I found some that did). The back brake lacks feel. It's too low geared, I'm going to go one tooth up on the front sprocket soon.

Upsides are commuting around dorkland I regularly get 24km per litre, and on a couple of longer trips over 25. It has a realy comfy seat. Not enough power to get me into too much trouble but enough for easy overtaking. Good headlights. Not too heavy though still a porker compared to say a Katie 640 style bike. Good price. Did I mention the price?

Summary - its a bike that does everything very well but nothing excellently.

varminter
18th July 2010, 19:35
I'm amazed that you find the 650 too low geared, I've found the opposite with the 1000. In fact I've just had the front sprocket replace for one with one less tooth. It still needs to be doing about 120 to go into top gear. Not that I have been on the Wee. I'd like to try.

TimeOut
18th July 2010, 23:08
Na 1 tooth up one the front is about right 100kph (true speed) is 4800rpm