PDA

View Full Version : Police officers guilty of assault get community service

jim.cox
16th July 2010, 11:15
Well fark me

Tow coppers assault a biker and just get community service

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3925905/Police-officers-sentenced-to-community-work

Was it a "Slap around the wrist with a wet bus ticket" judge

Or is it one law for us, one for them?

Genie
16th July 2010, 11:23
abuse of powers should have got them hit harder...but i guess it will be interesting when they turn up with all the other crims :lol:

Headbanger
16th July 2010, 11:24
What?

The judge should have held the biker down so the cops could put the boot in.

Lissa
16th July 2010, 11:32
Hmm and I wonder what might have happened if those officers had had guns? What ever happened to the cop who shot that courier driver accidentally?

Swoop
16th July 2010, 11:35
Does this mean that they can serve their "community service" time when they are at work...?:scratch:

Scuba_Steve
16th July 2010, 11:36
they want harsher penalties for people who assault cops, how bout harsher penalties for cops who abuse power?

DMNTD
16th July 2010, 11:36
Does this mean that they can serve their "community service" time when they are at work...?:scratch:

HELL NO!
It must be done at a "non profit" organisation :shifty:

mashman
16th July 2010, 11:43
they want harsher penalties for people who assault cops, how bout harsher penalties for cops who abuse power?

absolutely... you shouldn't be able to have one without the other... having said that, there'd be a lot of pollies in barney rubble with that thinking... i like it :)

Taz
16th July 2010, 13:48
I know this is off topic but I couldn't bring myself to care when those cops got shot the other day and it really surprised me. I never used to think like that but things are changing for the worse. I fear that the police are losing the respect they used to get from the majority of the public?.

jim.cox
16th July 2010, 13:54
I fear that the police are losing the respect they used to get from the majority of the public?.

Quite agree

Respect is earned

The escalating "Us vs Them" attitude evident on both sides is worrying

98tls
16th July 2010, 14:30
I know this is off topic but I couldn't bring myself to care when those cops got shot the other day and it really surprised me. I never used to think like that but things are changing for the worse. I fear that the police are losing the respect they used to get from the majority of the public?.

Two way sreet that i would imagine,many of them have to deal daily with scum that respects nothing and never will.Sure i would imagine the attitude of the average copper differs greatly from those 20-30 years ago and no wonder when you look at many of the communitys they have to police.

slofox
16th July 2010, 15:10
The escalating "Us vs Them" attitude evident on both sides is worrying

Yep. This worries me too. Such a development removes the police force from within society and places it outside thereof. Which leads to lack of respect and lack of co-operation from both sides. Police are only effective if they are onside with their communities and vice versa.

I lost, not so much respect, but trust of the force, after the Crewe murders. I was pretty appalled at the planting of evidence. I have been somewhat cynical about police behaviour ever since. This despite having worked closely over the years with various coppers, having taught their kids and having a cousin who was high up in the Auckland heirarchy years ago. Pity really...

Maha
16th July 2010, 15:31
Lucky the cops weren't armed.

rustic101
16th July 2010, 18:41
Well fark me

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3925905/Police-officers-sentenced-to-community-work

If you assault someone there is a good chance you will not lose your job.

Professional Standards will review their case and HR will terminate their employment. The penalty is actually harsher than most would get.

Brought it on themselves I say...

crystalball
16th July 2010, 20:09
geez well that makes me even more carefull not to speed, as if i get pulled over im gona get beaten up.:gob:

98tls
16th July 2010, 20:23
"emotional harm":shit:Whats that about?Anyone got a link to this with more info?Find it hard to believe they just pulled him over and decided to give him a hiding.

scumdog
16th July 2010, 20:52
Well fark me

Given I know about the 'biker' the cops got penalised way too much.:shifty:

So yes, as you mentioned - 'one law for us, one (tougher) for them.

scumdog
16th July 2010, 20:53
"emotional harm":shit:Whats that about?Anyone got a link to this with more info?Find it hard to believe they just pulled him over and decided to give him a hiding.

They didn't.

98tls
16th July 2010, 20:55
They didn't.

As i thought.Same old shite eh,KBs always good for only 1 side of the story when it comes to cops,actually when it comes to anything.

crystalball
16th July 2010, 20:59
lol o.k i will delete that from my list to why not to speed.

Headbanger
16th July 2010, 21:28
As i thought.Same old shite eh,KBs always good for only 1 side of the story when it comes to cops,actually when it comes to anything.

We can assume the judge was presented with both sides of the story and deduced that the cops broke the law.

Or do you believe the police should not be held accountable to the law?

98tls
16th July 2010, 21:31
We can assume the judge was presented with both sides of the story and deduced that the cops broke the law.

Or do you believe the police should not be held accountable to the law?

Actually mate ive no faith whatsoever in Judges.As no doubt do many cops.

Headbanger
16th July 2010, 21:36
Actually mate ive no faith whatsoever in Judges.As no doubt do many cops.

Me either.

Lmfao.

We need a hanging judge.

98tls
16th July 2010, 21:41
Me either.

Lmfao.

We need a hanging judge.

:Punk:pick me,im fucking shocking with knots

98tls
16th July 2010, 21:46
"fuck Buck',bring this guy back.http://www.minehead-online.co.uk/judge.htm

SS90
16th July 2010, 22:22
You know, I too see it as "two sides to every story", but while I have met some amazing cops who take their career "serving the public good" seriously, and deserve respects, I have unfortunately met more that are down right assholes (male and female cops), and on a massive ego trip.

Under the summary offences act, we have provision for Police officers to (in some cases) be Judge, and effect punishment "on the spot" (fines), which, most of the time is a good idea.

However, I have seen 2 seperate occasions where a group of cops have arrested a "drunk and disorderly" citizen, and, undeservedly administered a beating "ooops, sorry sir, didn't mean to bash your head on the car door etc", In one occassion I made an effort to track down the arrested guy (through a barman) to inform him that I would be willing to act as a witness if he wanted to lay a complaint with the Police complaint authority.

When i met up with the guy, he had a black eye, and an eye infection, he informed me that the black eye came from the cops, and the eye infection was because he wore contact lenses, and because they gave him the "knocking", an infection occured.

I wrote my statement for him, and he laid the complaint with the Police complaints authority.

2 months later (after he was interviewed) he was informed that the "complaint would go no further" (oh, the the disorderly conduct charge was withdrawn, after 2 court appearances costing him $900.

What did this guy do " as he was walking past a group of cops arresting some guy he said (and I quote) " Just do what the wankers want mate, they are the biggest gang in the country"

His lawer was going to use the "Crown V Dobbin" case where Dave Dobbin said "Don't worry about the cops, they are just wankers" at an Aotea square concert in (I think 1982), which (the Police claimed) caused a riot causing damage to shops.

The case was dismissed due to the Oxford dictionary defining a wanker as a "stupid person"

It's fair to say he would have got off (with a bill for 1000's), but I ask you, with more and more cases of Police assulting citizens (I remember a guy being Pepper sprayed AFTER he was on the ground and subdued) why aren't more cops losing their jobs.

( I have no trouble with cops "lack of attention" allowing rapists, P dealers, Pedophile's etc to "fall down the stairs") but, average tax paying citizens?

I have the utmost respect for most of the Police force, but there seem to be too many "bad apples" in the crate these days.

I also see it is illegal to film a Police officer "in the cause of his duties" if you are a member of the public....... I wonder why, I am sure the Police union say it is to protect the cops from retribution, but with the proliferation of cell phone cameras, every single misdeed is being recorded. As well it should.

If I see a copper "laying in" on someone who clearly does not deserve it, it's going on Youtube, and they are welcome to prosecute me.

scumdog
16th July 2010, 22:28
You know, I too see it as "two sides to every story", but while I have met some amazing cops who take their career "serving the public good" seriously, and deserve respects, I have unfortunately met more that are down right assholes (male and female cops), and on a massive ego trip.

Under the summary offences act, we have provision for Police officers to (in some cases) be Judge, and effect punishment "on the spot" (fines), which, most of the time is a good idea.

However, I have seen 2 seperate occasions where a group of cops have arrested a "drunk and disorderly" citizen, and, undeservedly administered a beating "ooops, sorry sir, didn't mean to bash your head on the car door etc", In one occassion I made an effort to track down the arrested guy (through a barman) to inform him that I would be willing to act as a witness if he wanted to lay a complaint with the Police complaint authority.

When i met up with the guy, he had a black eye, and an eye infection, he informed me that the black eye came from the cops, and the eye infection was because he wore contact lenses, and because they gave him the "knocking", an infection occured.

I wrote my statement for him, and he laid the complaint with the Police complaints authority.

2 months later (after he was interviewed) he was informed that the "complaint would go no further" (oh, the the disorderly conduct charge was withdrawn, after 2 court appearances costing him $900.

What did this guy do " as he was walking past a group of cops arresting some guy he said (and I quote) " Just do what the wankers want mate, they are the biggest gang in the country"

His lawer was going to use the "Crown V Dobbin" case where Dave Dobbin said "Don't worry about the cops, they are just wankers" at an Aotea square concert in (I think 1982), which (the Police claimed) caused a riot causing damage to shops.

The case was dismissed due to the Oxford dictionary defining a wanker as a "stupid person"

It's fair to say he would have got off (with a bill for 1000's), but I ask you, with more and more cases of Police assulting citizens (I remember a guy being Pepper sprayed AFTER he was on the ground and subdued) why aren't more cops losing their jobs.

( I have no trouble with cops "lack of attention" allowing rapists, P dealers, Pedophile's etc to "fall down the stairs") but, average tax paying citizens?

I have the utmost respect for most of the Police force, but there seem to be too many "bad apples" in the crate these days.

I also see it is illegal to film a Police officer "in the cause of his duties" if you are a member of the public....... I wonder why, I am sure the Police union say it is to protect the cops from retribution, but with the proliferation of cell phone cameras, every single misdeed is being recorded. As well it should.

If I see a copper "laying in" on someone who clearly does not deserve it, it's going on Youtube, and they are welcome to prosecute me.

I'm sure Ms Collins would like to hear how to avoid employing the cops such as you claim to have seen....but far nobody has found a way to make sure only 'good' cops are out there.

Me? In all my years I have not met any ego-tripping asshole cops, maybe I haven't got the gift of detecting them...

scissorhands
16th July 2010, 23:14
Thing is you get bad ass everyones, mechanics, farmers, mums, dads, kids, landlords, tenants, cagers, bikers, grannies, the list goes on.

Cops will always cop it in the media though, because they are cops and it sells.

I have had nothing but good dealings with your average cop, even sometimes when I have been breaching the law...

Politeness and courtesy go a long way with most people, unless maybe you often do stupid shit like speeding with no lights on and risking lives of innocent others? Anyone who puts others at risk deserves what they get

Headbanger
16th July 2010, 23:22
I'm sure Ms Collins would like to hear how to avoid employing the cops such as you claim to have seen....but far nobody has found a way to make sure only 'good' cops are out there.

We prosecute them when they break the law, This is a good thing. Sure, Plenty of em are getting away with crap but at least its something. More scrutiny will continue to raise the standards.

Me? In all my years I have not met any ego-tripping asshole cops, maybe I haven't got the gift of detecting them...

I'll give you that one.

warewolf
16th July 2010, 23:47
I'm sure Ms Collins would like to hear how to avoid employing the cops such as you claim to have seen....but far nobody has found a way to make sure only 'good' cops are out there. The problem is not so much stopping them at the door, but stopping them turning once they are immersed in the culture. I've spoken to many ex-cops who got out because of it.

And are you actually admitting, perhaps for the first time ever, that the cops are less than perfect??

Me? In all my years I have not met any ego-tripping asshole cops, maybe I haven't got the gift of detecting them...Maybe you're part of the problem not the solution.

Littleman
16th July 2010, 23:56

We will have to disagree on the definition of what an average tax paying citizen is I'm afraid.

oldrider
17th July 2010, 00:59
Me either.

Lmfao.

We need a hanging judge.

We really need to hang them all out to dry and replace them! (Judges I mean)

The current lot are piss poor performers and a waste of money IMHO!

Way past their use by dates! :yes:

SS90
17th July 2010, 04:51

Yes, but in all fairness, you are well within your rights to be biased.

Like I say, personally, I have had good dealings with Police (traffic offences ), and, as I am always curtious, it just "goes by the book", I have no problem with that, and, I am aware that most of the people the Police have to deal with are not really "curtious", or "polite", so, it stands to reason, that one day it does get a bit much, and their thick skins can be penetrated.

That's how it is in the world.

I don't Judge all Police by Clint Rickards and his mates, or the two down South of late, but the interesting thing is these guys have been convicted of beating up a guy, you clearly have better intel on us than this, but a Judge still stuck the guilty verdict.

I wonder who is missing the most of the story, The Judge? The Public? The Police Union?

Taz
17th July 2010, 09:06

Could it possibly be that your mirror is not adjusted right? :)

doc
17th July 2010, 09:19
If you assault someone there is a good chance you will not lose your job.

Professional Standards will review their case and HR will terminate their employment. The penalty is actually harsher than most would get.

Brought it on themselves I say...

Assaulting someone in the workplace usually means instant suspension followed by dismissal. Most the places I've worked anyway.

davereid
17th July 2010, 09:50
...The escalating "Us vs Them" attitude evident on both sides is worrying...

I'm very uncomfortable about proposals to make assault on a police officer a more serious offence than assault on a taxi driver, dairy owner or normal citizen.

It very much smacks of a "we are more important than you" attitude.

All of us should be properly protected from assault, not just "special" kiwis.

If the current penalties for assault are inadequate, then they should be increased to protect everyone.

scumdog
17th July 2010, 10:15
The problem is not so much stopping them at the door, but stopping them turning once they are immersed in the culture. I've spoken to many ex-cops who got out because of it.

And are you actually admitting, perhaps for the first time ever, that the cops are less than perfect??

Maybe you're part of the problem not the solution.

'Culture'? - having gone from 'normal' jobs to Police I can't say I have noticed any overt 'culture', it seems to be a thing perceived from the outside imho.

And you obviously haven't read all 10,000+ of my posts or you would have seen several mentions of cops not being perfect - as I have often said: they are a reflection of society itself.:yes:

Tell me more about this 'problem' I am possibly a part of?:blink:

scissorhands
17th July 2010, 16:08
I think people get confused about what is authentic to frontline police and what is perceived as being authentic.

Media reporting has an agenda, many in fact.

Winding up drongoes to see how far they are from a boil over is a valuable policing tool for assessing the anger or potential antisocial level of your average tax paying citizen. Sure when i get spoken down to by cops I get angry. Then when I calm down AND REMEMBER that this a valuable tool for gauging reaction to stress in the public, I let it go.

Its called policing.

Twice now when I have walked my female neighbours staffordshire terrier, the local cop on a cruise in the patrol car like leans right over in the car toward me and eyeballs me fully as he drives past....

They are trained to recognise that a staffy or pitbull could indicate criminal activity. And in many cases, it does.

Good policing. So I smile and wave for the camera when the cruiser passes. Good citizen.

I can either get upset for being buzzed, or think good to see them out there putting pressure on crims.

Once people can grasp this nature of policing, the 'pigs' dont appear so bad.

BUT

this will never become common knowledge because that is just giving the game away, and reduces the effectiveness of the police

Maybe I'm wrong but thats how I imagine it to be, or different when I'm close to anger or malevolent...male violent....

SMOKEU
17th July 2010, 19:01
If they weren't cops they would have just received a small fine for assault, at the very worst.

scumdog
17th July 2010, 19:11
If they weren't cops they would have just received a small fine for assault, at the very worst.

Well summed up that man!:niceone::shutup:

oldrider
18th July 2010, 21:22
Twice now when I have walked my female neighbours Staffordshire terrier, the local cop on a cruise in the patrol car like leans right over in the car toward me and eyeballs me fully as he drives past....

They are trained to recognise that a staffy or pitbull could indicate criminal activity. And in many cases, it does....

Differences between a Staffy and a Pit bull are even wider than between a Kiwi and an American or a Kiwi and an Aussie!

Trouble is not many people can tell the difference and Staffie's get bundled in with the crap that Pit bull's create for the dog world!

Alas they are all "just dogs" after all and everyone should always remember that fact! :yes:

Sorry, this thread is about police, well we could do without judges and lawyers and corrections but we wont get very far without any police! Speaks for it's self really!

SS90
20th July 2010, 05:32
Well summed up that man!:niceone::shutup:

Erm ....... he is correct most likely, but if they where just "ordinary citizens", they would not have been driving in a police car, and flashed their Blue and reds, tooted their Police horn (if that was needed), and stopped him for "routine control", before getting out of their Police car (in their Police uniforms), and required the Victim (that is what he is now) to provide them with information only a Police officer can require you to give, (where the assault come in I don't know, but it is assault, because they have been convicted of the crime in a court of law).

Assault by just an "average citizen" does occur in similar situations (road rage driver chasing down, stopping and assaulting another driver for example), but the difference is these guys are Police officers, they are supposed to make us feel secure on the roads, and in everyday life, not provoke fear that if you get caught speeding, you may well get handed out a "Rodney King" style "infringement notice", and a "demerit" that looks like a black eye.

I will admit that most of the public do not know the full story (as you claim to), and I am sure you have a better version of events than us, but, I really struggle to believe that a Judge would find these cops guilty of assault if there was not compelling evidence to suggest that they where anything but guilty.

If they where off duty, and involved in an altercation in an inner city bar, resulting in assault charges, I am sure the result would be the same, but as it is, an "ordinary citizen" would not have been in the situation (pulling over a car for routine Police work), but, if for some reason a citizen felt compelled to stop a speeding vehicle, and then administered a bit of "Justice", then i am sure the results for this person in this hypothetical situation would be the same as the police officers (as far as a conviction for assault)

Lose their jobs too?

Yes...... the Police in NZ has seen a dramatic drop in respect from NZ as a whole (we all know why), and if one set of coppers get away with dealing out this kind of justice, then the publics perception will drop further.

The Police are in a position of trust, they need to be above reproach.

However, if you feel an injustice has been done, please enlighten us all, if it can be proved they are not guilty (and evidence supplied), then I would like to throw the full weight of my support into a retrial.

A bad cop is one thing, but a good cop that has been unfairly convicted of assault? that is a travesty.

scumdog
20th July 2010, 22:12
Erm ....... he is correct most likely, but if they where just "ordinary citizens", they would not have been driving in a police car, and flashed their Blue and reds, tooted their Police horn (if that was needed), and stopped him for "routine control", before getting out of their Police car (in their Police uniforms), and required the Victim (that is what he is now) to provide them with information only a Police officer can require you to give, (where the assault come in I don't know, but it is assault, because they have been convicted of the crime in a court of law).

Assault by just an "average citizen" does occur in similar situations (road rage driver chasing down, stopping and assaulting another driver for example), but the difference is these guys are Police officers, they are supposed to make us feel secure on the roads, and in everyday life, not provoke fear that if you get caught speeding, you may well get handed out a "Rodney King" style "infringement notice", and a "demerit" that looks like a black eye.

I will admit that most of the public do not know the full story (as you claim to), and I am sure you have a better version of events than us, but, I really struggle to believe that a Judge would find these cops guilty of assault if there was not compelling evidence to suggest that they where anything but guilty.

If they where off duty, and involved in an altercation in an inner city bar, resulting in assault charges, I am sure the result would be the same, but as it is, an "ordinary citizen" would not have been in the situation (pulling over a car for routine Police work), but, if for some reason a citizen felt compelled to stop a speeding vehicle, and then administered a bit of "Justice", then i am sure the results for this person in this hypothetical situation would be the same as the police officers (as far as a conviction for assault)

Lose their jobs too?

Yes...... the Police in NZ has seen a dramatic drop in respect from NZ as a whole (we all know why), and if one set of coppers get away with dealing out this kind of justice, then the publics perception will drop further.

The Police are in a position of trust, they need to be above reproach.

However, if you feel an injustice has been done, please enlighten us all, if it can be proved they are not guilty (and evidence supplied), then I would like to throw the full weight of my support into a retrial.

A bad cop is one thing, but a good cop that has been unfairly convicted of assault? that is a travesty.

An imbalance of punishment was what I was alluding to.

Patrick
21st July 2010, 00:19

Yes.... well spotted. Motorcyclists are above the law.

The cops got Community Work for a first offence and I bet their job is gone. Anyone else would have recieved a fine, at the most.

SS90
21st July 2010, 05:27
:mellow:
Yes.... well spotted. Motorcyclists are above the law.

The cops got Community Work for a first offence and I bet their job is gone. Anyone else would have recieved a fine, at the most.

hang on mate, these guys are Cops.

They assaulted someone (there must be clear evidence to support this, because if there was no physical evidence to prove it, and it was just "his word against 2 cops", then I seriously doubt it would have even made it further than depositions (if even that far)

I am fully supportive of good Cops doing their job, but a shit cop is only slightly better than a bad criminal.

I hear a few undertones of "Injustice" and "They didn't do it" (so on and so forth), can someone please enlighten us all to the details.......... Because if these two guys are being "stitched up" (as it where), then we all need to a) see proof, and b) support a retrial.

I also hear that he was an "undesirable prick", but, unless he was a kiddy fiddling, date raping, P dealing, murderer, who, at the time of the assault, had his dick in a woman he just killed, and pictures of him with naked kids on his person (i.e guilty as fuck) then he did not deserve a beating.

There must be 1 rule for Police, one rule for the public when it comes to assault.

The Police are in a position of trust, the general public generally speaking are not.

doc
21st July 2010, 10:25
that he was an "undesirable prick", , who, at the time of the assault, had his dick in a woman (i.e guilty as fuck)
There must be 1 rule for Police, one rule for the public when it comes to assault.

The Police are in a position of trust, the general public generally speaking are not.

Sort of like the lawyers, ask Clint Rickard, he got away with it. After all he is a "Fit and proper person" :sick:

SS90
21st July 2010, 20:28
Sort of like the lawyers, ask Clint Rickard, he got away with it. After all he is a "Fit and proper person" :sick:

He is a perfect example of a "bad cop" (When I read that his ex Police mates that where jointly charged where in Jail, I was enraged, yet, then I learned of the comlainants history, and previous allegations, I actually formed the opinion "Shit attracts Fly's":shifty:

I blame the penis haters at Woman's refuge for how that all came out. They made it a witch hunt (or is that warlock), knowingly broke a Court order (although claimed the offenders had nothing to do with their organisation....Pffffft)

I firmly believe that they actually had a good chance of being convicted if due procedure had been adheard to, and, in which case, a retrial could be applied for..... now not.

Lous Wallace, Clint Rickards (and his mates) and the Woman's refuge........ Shit and fly's the lot of them.

Funny thing is, every one of them is funded by the tax payer......... Kind of makes you shiver doesn't it!

We need to respect and admire our Police officers, and with all this shit that goes on such as this, my respect for them just goes down.

I know there are good cops, but they (the good cops) need to report any misgivings they see from fellow officers.

Code of silence be fucked!

dipshit
21st July 2010, 20:36
Check out this police corruption...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDlf6hA6TY