PDA

View Full Version : Southern Cross - the tale of 3 newbies

Blackbird
30th May 2005, 11:24
Here is the report which Mangell6, Jantar and I put together after successfully completing the Southern Cross ride which started on May 8th in Bluff. Just getting to the event and home again for most of the entrants was around 1500km, let alone the ride itself which wasn’t far short of 4000km in 5 days!

It was a genuine privilege to ride with Mike and Malcolm – simply couldn’t have wished for two finer people with whom to share such a demanding event. They knew how to ride fast too, not just in terms of a quick fang down the road but for hundreds of km at a stretch. That really does call for top skills and absolute focus. We also make special mention in the report of KiwiBiker member “Rider in Black”. Another outstanding and generous member of the NZ biker community. To all the other Kiwibikers who sent texts or left messages on the website during the ride, sincere thanks from all of us. Much appreciated when we were sore, tired and a bit apprehensive of what was yet to come!

Jantar (Malcolm) has also written a separate report of the ride which additionally covers his adventures getting to the event and back home again. We hope he’ll post that too as there are some great tales in it!

We hope that our experiences as newcomers to this ride might encourage a few more people to have a go at the Southern Cross, the Grand Challenge 1000 miles/24 hours ride, or other events which are superbly organised by Lee Hurley and the Rusty Nuts team. Not only are they supremely good fun, you learn more about yourself and improve your riding skills on those rides than years of regular commuting or day rides do for you.

Cheers

Geoff

k14
30th May 2005, 18:13
Woah, was an awesome writeup, thanks for that. Hopefully I can do it in the next couple of years.

LB
31st May 2005, 02:48
A wonderful write-up thanks BB - many thanks for sharing. Made me feel almost like I'd been there.

Yarg
31st May 2005, 09:46
Great write up. lee knows how to organise a good ride. :ride:

Blackbird
31st May 2005, 09:48
Thanks for the kind words - a stunning event to take part in. Here is Malcolm's (Jantar) account of the ride. His account of the journey to the start of the SC and his trip home are particularly "interesting". :niceone:

Get him away from the sobering influence of Mike and me and there's no telling what he'll get up to, tsk,tsk. :nono:

vifferman
31st May 2005, 09:54
Thanks for the kind words - a stunning event to take part in.
Not kind at all - well deserved. It was an excellent write-up.
And it's not everyone who has the character or stamina to take part in an event like this; I don't think I could do it.

soundbeltfarm
31st May 2005, 10:17
awewsome write up mate.
you could put that in one of the bike rags

Hitcher
31st May 2005, 10:28
Fantastic stuff. There's something special about the power of nicely joined-up words. You chasps did well, both with bikes and word-processors!

Biff
31st May 2005, 12:20
What an absolute pleasure reading both trip reports brought. Well done BB & Malcolm, and everyone that took part in this biking marathon. :niceone:

RiderInBlack
31st May 2005, 14:59
Well done guys. Really want to take a stab at this next time now.

As for the guided ride, it was a pleasure riding with you all, and hey I was only returning the faviour other KB'ers have done for me. Malcolm was an awesome host and guide while I was down SI:niceone:

MSTRS
31st May 2005, 15:07
That is probably the best ride report(s) I have ever read. Well done, those Wriders (sic)

Blackbird
31st May 2005, 16:07
Well done guys. Really want to take a stab at this next time now.

As for the guided ride, it was a pleasure riding with you all, and hey I was only returning the faviour other KB'ers have done for me. Malcolm was an awesome host and guide while I was down SI:niceone:

Doug - don't forget to let me know if you're down Tokoroa way or in Coromandel - would like the opportunity to say thanks properly.

Cheers

Geoff

RiderInBlack
31st May 2005, 17:43
Doug - don't forget to let me know if you're down Tokoroa way or in Coromandel - would like the opportunity to say thanks properly.

Cheers

GeoffWill have to wait until after Winter as "Roxanne" is having an extreem make over (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=11937):whistle:

mangell6
31st May 2005, 20:09
Fantastic stuff. There's something special about the power of nicely joined-up words. You chasps did well, both with bikes and word-processors!

High praise indeed.

Good words well done Blackbird and Jantar.

:niceone:

ajturbo
31st May 2005, 20:34
wow... now that is a ride!!!!!:ride:

bear
1st June 2005, 08:54
Great reading, what a mission!

Congratulations on your success, and thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Jantar
2nd June 2005, 18:44
awewsome write up mate.
you could put that in one of the bike rags

I am thinking of sending an edited version to BRM. You never know, they may even print it.

mangell6
2nd June 2005, 19:12
Get in quick, he might snaffle it from the 'public forum' as there was no copywrong or right. Your write up was brilliant. :drinkup:

Blackbird
2nd June 2005, 19:31
No problem whatsoever with anything that gets printed. It's what's in our heads and hearts that counts. I posted both ride reports in PDF and Word formats, plus all the digital images to you yesterday so you should have them tomorrow or Saturday.

All the guys at work loved your article Malcolm, especially the crack-up piece near Murchison :niceone:

Geoff

scumdog
2nd June 2005, 19:37
Great write-up guys, top stuff.
And thanks for the 'tootle' on the way past Jantar :niceone:

Jantar
8th May 2006, 10:54
One year ago this week we had a fantastic ride. Only one year left to prepare for the next one.

2007 Southern Cross Road Rally.
Cape Egmont Monday 23rd April Noon - 1pm
Cape Reinga Tuesday 24th April Noon - 1pm
East Cape Wednesday 25th April Noon - 1pm
Bluff Friday 27th April Noon - 1pm
Late comers can sign in between Noon and 1pm Sat 28th April

How about a bigger KB presence for the next one, and a good chance for the fight club to keep their kms to posts ratio above 30:1. :ride: :ride:

DemonWolf
8th May 2006, 13:07
Great writeup.. I thoroughly enjoyed them. well done! =)

James Deuce
8th May 2006, 13:52
How about a bigger KB presence for the next one....:ride:

You're on.

I'll start working on SWMBO this evening.

Highlander
10th May 2006, 20:46
Leave booked.

paturoa
10th May 2006, 21:41
so did u find out what the gun shot noise was??

Jantar
10th May 2006, 21:55
so did u find out what the gun shot noise was??

I can't be sure. But while cleaning my bike a couple of months later I noticed that the pannier rack appeared to have some slight movement, yet there were no loose or missing bolts. On further investigation I discovered cracks in the rear subframe on each side just forward of the main weight bearing points for the pillion seat and the pannier rack. Two cracks, and two louds bangs could have been connected.

Welding repairs cost less than $100.

Lee Rusty
10th May 2006, 22:10
for the 9th Southern Cross Road Rally now
if you want an entry form PM me or get one off the RNMC website
www.rustynuts.co.nz

We would be pleased to hear from any one interested.

RiderInBlack
11th May 2006, 10:59
I hope ta make this SC ta make up for my failed Tiki Ride (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=544851&postcount=17). Hope I've got the bling for this next year (can't afford the GC this year due ta a cash flow problem, bugger).

elle-f
8th November 2006, 18:23
what an awesome read. thanks for that! kinda makes me wanna go!

Jantar
8th November 2006, 18:28
what an awesome read. thanks for that! kinda makes me wanna go!
Well go for it elle. Now that you've upgraded to a 600 you'd do it with ease. There's a few other Kbers going on the 2007 ride, so you wouldn't be alone.

I'll start a new thread dedicated to the 2007 ride when I get back from my Aussie holiday next month. :scooter:

Blackbird
8th November 2006, 18:33
Thanks for that Elle. It was an awesome experience with some wonderful riding partners to share it with. If you want to try a long distance event over less time to see how you like a long haul, have a look at: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1101. Quite a few KB'ers have done it several times. Maybe see you on one?

I'm skipping the 'Cross next year to go on a "Birds Galore" tour of the S.I in March with some mates who also ride Blackbirds.

Cheers

Geoff

Highlander
26th January 2007, 00:57
I have leave booked from work and am now working on a plan for the 2007 Southern Cross

Any suggestions / tips / advice?

Cheers

Jantar
26th January 2007, 07:27
I have leave booked from work and am now working on a plan for the 2007 Southern Cross

Any suggestions / tips / advice?

Cheers
Sure:

1. Download the entry form from the Rusty Nuts web site.
2. Fill it in
3. Send form and money to Rusty Nuts
4..... Oh you mean the riding?

Just make sure that your bike is serviced and has new tyres. Make a flexible ferry booking so that you can change ferries at short notice and without penalty. It costs about $20 more and saves heaps of hassle.

I'll pm you later about accommadation..