PDA

View Full Version : Cow Poo

Lou Girardin
30th May 2005, 14:04
There's been some discussion about a Waikato local body wanting to ban farmers moving stock on the road because of their 'emissions".
I'd just like someone to ban stock trucks from dumping shit all over the roads.
Like the one that dropped enough crap on SH16 north of Cowkop to cover half the lane for 20 metres right on the apex of a righthander. I'd just passed a 4WD and set up for the corner when I smelt it, then I saw it hidden by the shine of the wet road. I damn near added my own contribution.
I thought stock trucks had to have catch tanks now?

Big Dave
30th May 2005, 14:16
'Shooting the shit' is just an expression Lou. It's not a literal thing......

Could do without the dung mist aye.

Ixion
30th May 2005, 14:21

Nope. Some towns enforce such a rule as a local body thing . But there's no universal requirement. And even if they're fitted there's no compulsion to use them.

Though it is an offense to deposit a hazardous or noxious substance on a public highway.

Don't hold your breath (no pun intended) waiting for the HP to start ticketing for it.

scumdog
30th May 2005, 14:27
Last time I looked stock effluent was exempt from 'insecure load', the clause no doubt to appease the vote-wielding cockies..

It's my pet hate and many a sphincter-puckering moment I've had both on a scoot and in a cage when running over a 'green-streak'

It's even worse when it has baked dry and then a quick shower lands on top of it.

Blackbird
30th May 2005, 14:38
When we were down in the south Island recently, there seemed to be more effluent between Bluff and Dunedin than anywhere else we went. Maybe just more stock movement by truck down there but it was pretty horrible.

Geoff

Big Dave
30th May 2005, 14:55
When we were down in the south Island recently, there seemed to be more effluent between Bluff and Dunedin than anywhere else we went.
Geoff

That's a terrible thing to call Invercargill.

Blackbird
30th May 2005, 15:04
Invercargill is really nice in comparison to Bluff :no:

Wenier
30th May 2005, 15:12
I think you'd find most trucks have a catch system but they dont tend to use it as they have to open it at some stage to stop it overflowing so instead they leave it open and it can never overflow.

mangell6
30th May 2005, 15:43
The 'patches' that I have seen and ridden through seem to be on corners or steep hills. Which indicates to me that there is an effluent tank which when near capacity tends to overflow as the truck goes around corners or up/down hills.

Ixion
30th May 2005, 15:47
The 'patches' that I have seen and ridden through seem to be on corners or steep hills. Which indicates to me that there is an effluent tank which when near capacity tends to overflow as the truck goes around corners or up/down hills.

Might just be slopping around on the deck and run off when the deck tilts ?

Motig
30th May 2005, 15:54
Yep, that would be right. I work at our local freezing works which has a "poo" station but a lot of the trucks just don't use it. Too much of a hurry I guess :drinkup:

Jonty
30th May 2005, 15:58
Bloody stinks to high heaven as well if you catch a good wiff in the helmet then close the vents!!!

Gixxer 4 ever
30th May 2005, 16:09
the clause no doubt to appease the vote-wielding cockies..

How would this help the farmers? It works for the truck companies cos they just leave them open. It is not uncommon for the trucks to open them, as some are electric, on a corner to empty the tank. But I as a farmer can see no gain for me. I hate the stuff on the road as much as any other rider. The one that we farmers need to work on is when large mobs cross the road. But you can get mats that can be rolled up after they cross and most of the mud and shit is removed.

soundbeltfarm
30th May 2005, 16:55
its not just the truckies fault im a farmer and stock are supoosed to be stood off pasture for a couple of hours before trucking so they empty out.
but most farmers just take them off grass prior to going on the truck.
the tanks on trucks can only hold so much. im not sure what it is .
but there are a few drivers that dont care and dont empty tanks.

this time of year there will be a lot of shite on the roads with stock shifts and heifer shifts .
we had our next door neighbour walk 400 head down the road on sat.
he was not in control of them and they were stretched out about a kilometre and traffic was getting pissed which is understandable.
there was a lot of crap on the road from them. so all this rain weve had was good for washing it off.

crazylittleshit
30th May 2005, 17:00
I managed to travel through some cow shit a few weeks back. I was traveling slightly over the speed limit and Unfortunaly my friend on a fireblade coped a shit load of it if you get my meaning. And no He was not happy. :rofl:

But I found it funny as hell.

crazylittleshit
30th May 2005, 17:01
How would this help the farmers? It works for the truck companies cos they just leave them open. It is not uncommon for the trucks to open them, as some are electric, on a corner to empty the tank. But I as a farmer can see no gain for me. I hate the stuff on the road as much as any other rider. The one that we farmers need to work on is when large mobs cross the road. But you can get mats that can be rolled up after they cross and most of the mud and shit is removed.

They need to be left open or you would have alot of dead cows by the end of the journey.

Yarg
30th May 2005, 17:05
I had the same trouble on SH16. crap everywhere. Damm hard to see in the wet patches. :ride:

NC
30th May 2005, 17:54
Cattle trucks with cow wizz coming off the back when you are following to close is....is....is....................... :puke: :cry:

HDTboy
30th May 2005, 18:43
I had the same trouble on SH16. crap everywhere. Damm hard to see in the wet patches. :ride:

I found the same on 16 on sunday, a dirty great trail of shit for about 10-20 ks

Paul in NZ
30th May 2005, 19:14
Cattle trucks with cow wizz coming off the back when you are following to close is....is....is....................... :puke: :cry:

Damn straight!

Never follow too close! Especially when they are headed down hill rolling country and you are angling to pass as they head up the hill on the other side....

Urk!

The worst is when you can see it falling like rain... Nooooo!

Timber020
30th May 2005, 20:54
From what I understand trucks have to have tanks over a certain size or how much stock they carry. No drivers I worked with (and I drove stock and cartage trucks proffessionally) kept the tanks open when they had stock and aboard as they can get done BIG TIME. We ran multiple logbooks, we overloaded and sped but never kept the tanks open. It can be hard to find places to empty the tanks and sometimes the feed to the tanks get blocked and there can be overflow. (I almost got a $2000 fine when my pipes got a blockage after cleaning out the bakc and the floor filled up with wash water and spilled right infront of the god squad.)

Im not talking for all driver, just the dozen or so I knew.

g34l
30th May 2005, 21:44
yes indeed, there are rules. Have they ever be able to enforce it good enough? i am in franklin, and i am afraid " no " in this area.

Pixie
31st May 2005, 01:41
There's been some discussion about a Waikato local body wanting to ban farmers moving stock on the road because of their 'emissions".
Like the one that dropped enough crap on SH16 north of Cowkop to cover half the lane for 20 metres right on the apex of a righthander. I'd just passed a 4WD and set up for the corner when I smelt it, then I saw it hidden by the shine of the wet road. I damn near added my own contribution.
If you returned through Riverhead forest, you would have seen that the newly sealed corners (the ones that used to be badly corrugated,and are now smooth asphalt) have been covered with flattened lumps of clay,spread on the road by four wheel drive wankers that think it's a challenge to drive on the road verge: Arseholes!!!

spudchucka
31st May 2005, 06:48
Don't hold your breath (no pun intended) waiting for the HP to start ticketing for it.
The CVIU are the chaps to bother the truckies who aren't playing by the rules. And the do it with great enthusiasm from what I see.

What?
31st May 2005, 07:00
Interesting blurb on TV about it - seems the cockies interviewed (plus the ones that wrote to the papers) think the problem is limited to ex-townies who don't like their cars getting dirty. As far as I can see, spilling cow shit on the road is no different to boy racers tipping diesel oil on the road - both create a danger and neither is necessary.
However, the cops are never going to change things - but maybe ACC will if enough noise is made about it.

Will
31st May 2005, 07:12

Did that road on Sunday too.

When the 10 of us went up 16, it wasn't there.

But I noticed it when I left them at Wellsford and returned home the same way. Of course by then it was on the other side of the road to me. But it was a big spill that I noticed and put down to the truck's holding tanks that must have been near full. The corner was on a steep incline.

Glad you all managed to keep the rubber to the road.

By the way, I would have waved to you. I was riding my rollerskate as my husband refers to my CBR 600. Red and purple. Got a new chain and rear sprocket, so had to go for a ride to make sure that it all worked. As you do.

Sniper
31st May 2005, 08:54
Yep, you get alot of that down in Canterbury

Ixion
31st May 2005, 10:53
Interesting blurb on TV about it - seems the cockies interviewed (plus the ones that wrote to the papers) think the problem is limited to ex-townies who don't like their cars getting dirty. As far as I can see, spilling cow shit on the road is no different to boy racers tipping diesel oil on the road - both create a danger and neither is necessary.
However, the cops are never going to change things - but maybe ACC will if enough noise is made about it.

I don't actually have an objection to the residues left when the cows are moved across the road from one paddock to another. The farmers have to move them, and it's part of country life. I think the townies are out of line, like the people in Western Springs objecting to the speedway (BTW, what's happened with that, seems to have gone all quiet). It's in one short space, you just need to deal with it.

The kilometres long trail of shit from trucks is another matter. Nasty and unnecessary

scumdog
31st May 2005, 11:08
The last post from Ixion brings up a point many of you may be unaware off: the cow-poo that seems to be just a part of country life is actually very corrosive to the bonding of the little stones that we call tar-seal, over a period of time the road falls apart if effluent lies there too long.

It may be trucks doing the damage but in some places the road will have been weakened by the liberal application of 'cow-poo'

Lou Girardin
31st May 2005, 11:46
The last post from Ixion brings up a point many of you may be unaware off: the cow-poo that seems to be just a part of country life is actually very corrosive to the bonding of the little stones that we call tar-seal, over a period of time the road falls apart if effluent lies there too long.

It may be trucks doing the damage but in some places the road will have been weakened by the liberal application of 'cow-poo'

You need to set up a POOS (Prevent offensive ordeur squad) No fines, just rub truckies noses in it.
Rob will be looking for a new post soon.

Wolf
31st May 2005, 14:11
That's a terrible thing to call Invercargill.
I thought he was talking about Gore ("Yeeehaw, we got both kinds of music - Country and Western." *hoik* *Spit* *ding*) :devil2: :devil2:

Ixion
31st May 2005, 15:30

Another very good reason to not spoil the road by applying tar seal. :niceone:

Wolf
31st May 2005, 16:15
Another very good reason to not spoil the road by applying tar seal. :niceone:
Argh, I suppose you think that putting metal down on the dirt was too "progressive", you old fart! :killingme

Lou Girardin
13th June 2005, 15:43
More of the shit through the summit on 16 again. Next time we see a stock truck stopped, someone hold the driver down and I'll shit on HIM!

pritch
24th June 2005, 17:31
This is a seasonal thing. By law all dairy farms that are sold change hands on the same day. (It's either the beginning or the end of June). So June is stock truck time.

A guy I know wrote off a K110RS due to this, he went to pass a stock truck at the start of a passing lane on a steepish hill, at the bottom of the hill the truck did a rough gear change and a large wave of shite came surfing out the back of the truck. The bike hit it and went down, the beemer skidded across the road under a Mack truck going in the other direction. He was luckier but his jacket and boots filled up with the shite and he had to ride on the back of the rescue vehicle as nobody was game to share an enclosed space with him.

pete376403
26th June 2005, 22:39
On the road between Featherston and Lake Ferry, going the western side of the lake, there is a curved bridge (has flood control gates under it). Anyway, one day out riding, came across this bridge absolutely covered in cow shit. The guy in front of me slid across the road, I squeezed between him and the offside guard rail but the pannier of my bike hit his ankle and broke it (the ankle). That cost me $150 for not being able to stop in time. Cop wasn't the least bit interested in the shit on the road, said I should have anticipated it.

Amusingly, not long after this, a cop (near Huntly, Ngaruwahia? ) lost control of his car due to some substance on the road, hit something and killed someone. Was found not guilty - the beak said he could not have expected to find this stuff on the road. Yeah right.

cowpoos
21st September 2005, 11:18

I am farmer too....can't stand shit on the road...I'll happily tell other farmers what I think at discussion groups and feildays...

Stock should be banned from the road....all mine are trucked....trucks are supposed to beable to hold all effluent in towns and resticted speed zones and a lot of local councils require in there territory the holding of effluent...

unhingedlizard
24th September 2005, 00:15
my two cents. I work as a beekeeper so travel round a lot of farms, yards, back roads and such in the king country. One thing i was told was that cow shit actually degrades the road due to the acidic content. the other is once coming back from a yard in the middle of Mangokewa, a light truck came past right at the spot where a cow cocky had moved stock up the road. I had the window open, you can guess the rest.

danb
26th September 2005, 20:00
Stuff it – just give the animals butt plugs :shake: – solves the problem completely (Oh and the greenhouse gases), Just “de” butt plug them once in a while and harvest the lethal brew :puke: for power.

scumdog
26th September 2005, 20:03
Stuff it – just give the animals butt plugs :shake: – solves the problem completely (Oh and the greenhouse gases), Just “de” butt plug them once in a while and harvest the lethal brew :puke: for power.

It might take somebodys eye out if one of those plugs 'blew'!! :shit:

danb
26th September 2005, 20:31
It might take somebodys eye out if one of those plugs 'blew'!! :shit:

ROFL hahaha

cowpoos
26th September 2005, 21:25

well actually....the green house gases that ruminants give off are acctually from burping...not farting...as most people some how believe...!!!!

cowpoos
26th September 2005, 21:38
This is a seasonal thing. By law all dairy farms that are sold change hands on the same day. (It's either the beginning or the end of June).

BYLAW...by fuckin law....thats the biggest load of shit I've heard in along time....

mate...you and other people on here have to stop making up bull shit and posting facts....for christ sake....you obviously have no clues!!!!!!

Right the facts.......THERE IS NO SUCH FARKIN LAW....1st of june is just the comon day for farm/sharemilker/worker change overs as its the first day of the new season....

THERE AIN'T KNOW LAW THAT SAYS IT....DICK HEAD!!!!

scumdog
26th September 2005, 21:43
BYLAW...by fuckin law....thats the biggest load of shit I've heard in along time....

mate...you and other people on here have to stop making up bull shit and posting facts....for christ sake....you obviously have no clues!!!!!!

Right the facts.......THERE IS NO SUCH FARKIN LAW....1st of june is just the comon day for farm/sharemilker/worker change overs as its the first day of the new season....

Ah don't you love it? A rational, sensible and factual explanation of a lesser mortals error!!

Tolerance and understanding wins the day once again!

thehollowmen
26th September 2005, 22:05

I'm sure that with our collective engineering genius we could make mini-bike that robotically sniff out and race after dripping fresh effluent and detonate when they get dripped on from the top....

Oh yeah.. and Kaow pat (pronounced cow pat) is thai for fried rice. Just a useless bit of random information.

cowpoos
27th September 2005, 10:42
Ah don't you love it? A rational, sensible and factual explanation of a lesser mortals error!!

Tolerance and understanding wins the day once again!

errrr....I sense sarcasuim....Grrrr

SlowHand
27th September 2005, 13:01
I'm sure that with our collective engineering genius we could make mini-bike that robotically sniff out and race after dripping fresh effluent and detonate when they get dripped on from the top....

Oh yeah.. and Kaow pat (pronounced cow pat) is thai for fried rice. Just a useless bit of random information.

can i pilot it? I hate being pelted by shit around corners, and I hate collecting shit up my back even more. We could maybe GE some grass so it contains some sort of explosive that blows up when mixed with methane and air. Hangon, would that make the cows shit more? :lol:

pritch
29th September 2005, 19:44

LOL Well bugger that!

An almost forgotten post from two months ago cames back and bites me on the arse. (Please note correct spelling of "arse"...)

One should never assume anything it's true. I do try to be reasonably precise with my language, on the 'Net at least, and on this occasion it's possible I may be proved wrong.

As yet, however, I remain unconvinced.

The dairy farming community is a widely disparate group. Some are intelligent, articulate and sober, others are obviously not. There are many shades in between. That this whole industry, so economically important to the country, has never been "assisted" in this respect by any government in the history of the nation is frankly unbelievable.

I am open to reasoned, informed, intelligent, discussion.
But, alas, so far haven't seen anything resembling that.

If it makes you feel better, read the offending words as "By convention".
Which really has bugger-all to do with anything, I was trying to make the point that the movement of dairy herds is seasonal.

Be well :-)

cowpoos
29th September 2005, 20:26
LOL Well bugger that!

An almost forgotten post from two months ago cames back and bites me on the arse. (Please note correct spelling of "arse"...)

One should never assume anything it's true. I do try to be reasonably precise with my language, on the 'Net at least, and on this occasion it's possible I may be proved wrong.

The dairy farming community is a widely disparate group. Some are intelligent, articulate and sober, others are obviously not. There are many shades in between. That this whole industry, so economically important to the country, has never been "assisted" in this respect by any government in the history of the nation is frankly unbelievable.

Which really has bugger-all to do with anything, I was trying to make the point that the movement of dairy herds is seasonal.

:niceone:

My apologies for going off the deep end...but still...if you think you have the right idea...don't say it or post it till you can prove it as a fact...always be ready to back youself...not just here....in life

cowpoos
29th September 2005, 21:25
LOL Well bugger that!

So you o and give me bad rep...because you fucked up and posted some lies...GOOD ON YA MATE....