PDA

View Full Version : Cough medicine sales to be restricted from May

mashman
22nd July 2010, 16:20
They already do this in the UK... even when I spoke to the pharmacist about getting cough medicine for my 2 year old they wouldn't sell it to me... Citing they would not sell a medicine, with instructions of 2+ on the bottle, for use by any child under 6 WTF!!!! In the below article ithe reason they give is that there is no evidence that these products work for kids... if that's the case, then WHY THE FUCK does it have 2+ written on the bottle, and has done for the past decade at least? is there something else we're not being made aware of?

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/7629081/cough-medicine-sales-to-be-restricted-from-may/

scissorhands
22nd July 2010, 22:09
Fuck em. Theres a lot of good natural remedies to choose from with propolis and manuka honey, astragalus, I dont get colds anymore so ha! Stout beer and surfing for the littleli:rockon:

Cannabis Reduces Infant Mortality

Surprising connections between "Failure-to-Thrive" and Cannabinoids.

Storm Crow for Salem-News.com

(NORTHERN CALIFORNIA) - Years ago, a friend of mine, a good Christian lady, had a child with "failure to thrive". She had CPS all over her, looking for even the tiniest trace of child neglect. They found none. The child was well cared for, but she just didn't seem that interested in eating. Her bottles often went half finished.

I believe that those bottles of formula, given from birth, were major part of the problem. Our bodies make chemicals called "endocannabinoids" that are closely related to THC and cannabidiol (CBD). Endocannabinoids control many bodily functions and are excreted into breast milk. When lactating female rabbits were injected with CBD, a non-psychoactive, plant-derived cannabinoid, there was "a significant accumulation of the drug in milk." [1]

Endocannabinoids are also detected in human and cow's milk, with the highest levels occurring the day after giving birth. This healthy dose of naturally-occurring endocannabinoids stimulates the suckling reflex in newborn mammals, including humans[2].

When newborn mice are given a chemical to block the effect between endocannabinoids and their CB receptors, the mice simply don't know how to eat. Yet, if the blocking agent is mixed with an equivalent amount of THC, the mice eat and grow normally[3].

CB receptors work kind of like an ignition switch. First, you need the right kind of "key" (the right-shaped cannabinoid) to go into the "keyhole" (the receptor) to turn on the "engine's" action (suckling, stopping pain or inflammation, or maybe killing a cancer cell). Phytocannabinoids (cannabinoids from plants, like THC) can mimic the effects of your endocannabinoids - they can turn on the same "ignition switches" as your body's own cannabinoids. The blocking agents (antagonists) are like sticking a broken key stub in the keyhole. You can't get a real key in, and the engine can't turn on.

Scientists have bred mice that do not have CB receptors. They are poor, sickly things, prone to all sorts of ailments. Some scientists believe that there are people like those mice, having fewer than normal, or dysfunctional, CB receptors. And infants born with this condition have growth failure resulting from an inability to ingest food, just like those newborn mice[4].)

If "failure to thrive" infants were being breast-fed, they would get at least some of their mother's normal endocannabinoids from her milk. If she were using cannabis, logically, her breast milk would contain not only her own endocannabinoids, but also the phytocannabinoids, THC and CBD. In CB receptor-deficient children, an extra dose of phytocannabinoids could make the difference between "failure to thrive" and a healthy child! However, since receptor deficiency is inheritable, the mother may be deficient, too, and unable to give her child sufficient amounts of endocannabinoids in her milk.

But all this is just conjecture on my part. Just me, grouping together various studies to make a theory about "failure to thrive" babies. Medical science surely isn't going to say that having Mom smoking a little pot in the evening is going to help her baby do better, is it?

Well, tonight, I found a study that seems to say just that! It's a sad little thing - an abstract of a study on the death of babies - yet vital facts can be learned from those soulless statistical studies. This one gave the infant death rates per 1,000 live births, and the drugs, if any, that the mother used during pregnancy.

A total of 2,964 babies were drug-tested at birth to see if they were positive for drugs - cocaine, opioids or cannabis were studied. 44% of the infants tested positive for all varieties of drugs, including the 3 being studied. During the first two years of their lives, 44 babies from the original group died. Since statistics are a drag to slog through, I'll cut right to the chase - the deaths per thousand live births - the numbers tell the story.

"No drugs at birth" deaths....... 15.7 deaths per 1000 live births

"Cocaine positive" deaths.......17.7 deaths per 1000 live births

"Opiate positive" deaths.......18.4 deaths per 1000 live births

"Cannabis positive" deaths.... 8.9 deaths per 1000 live births [5]

The cocaine and opiate babies have a higher death rate than the "No drugs" babies - that was to be expected. But look at the "cannabis" babies! Having extra cannabinoids in their bodies at birth (and likely later, from 2nd-hand exposure, or breast milk) seems to have some sort of a protective effect. The "cannabis" infants have a mortality rate almost half of what the "No drugs" infants have!

Cannabis has a remarkable safety record - it has never caused a single death by overdose, so it is safer than the Tylenol that we give to our children. Some cannabinoids, like CBD, can't get you high no matter how much you take, but are still quite effective medically. Perhaps it is time that someone considers doing a study of pediatric, non-psychoactive cannabinoid use to treat "failure to thrive" infants!

The studies below, and more, will appear in the new version of my list of medical cannabis studies and articles. It will be available around the beginning of August. For now, you can get a free copy of my current list (250 pages of MMJ links like those below), by emailing me at: i.wantgrannyslist@greenpassion.org.

[1] Mammary excretion of cannabidiol in rabbits after intravenous administration - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

[2] Born with the munchies - newscientist.com/

[3] Critical role of the endogenous cannabinoid system in mouse pup suckling and growth - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

[4] The endocannabinoid-CB receptor system: Importance for development and in pediatric disease - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

[5] Mortality Within the First 2 Years in Infants Exposed to Cocaine, Opiate, or Cannabinoid During Gestation - pediatrics.aappublications.org

Source: http://www.salem-news.com/articles/june272010/marijuana-infants-sc.php

neels
22nd July 2010, 22:28
Holy crap that's a long post.

XxKiTtiExX
22nd July 2010, 23:08
Recent studies suggest its dangerous for children under 6. Ingredients in baby teething gel is also potentially fatal in small children. Who would have thought...

Gubb
22nd July 2010, 23:26
Are you actually saying we should get 2 year olds stoned to get rid of cold symptoms?

scissorhands
22nd July 2010, 23:57
Are you actually saying we should get 2 year olds stoned to get rid of cold symptoms?

never said that, recommended drinking stout for the little uns, but cannabis is being tipped for many childrens illnesses:yes: even cancer therapy:yes:

Each year thousands of articles are published about cannabis and cannabinoids.

Because of this promising research, scientists and doctors around the world are taking interest in cannabinoids. Part of the excitement comes from established data showing that cannabinoid receptors may be the most abundant protein in the human brain, and humans also produce a natural, THC-like compound, anandamide. In the first few months of 2010 a wide range of relevant research articles have already been published. Among the highlights: Researchers at the University of Leiden analyzed cannabis smoke and vapor by comparing their effects at the cannabinoid type 1 receptor (CB1R) (1). Both smoke and vapor activate the cannabinoid receptor equally, but vaporization is more efficient because fewer compounds are destroyed or degraded. However, what was shown for the first time was that terpenoids, the fragrant molecules such as myrcene, are a major component of the smoke and vapor.

The authors believe compounds such as myrcene may contribute to therapeutic benefits of medical cannabis.

Guinea pig studies suggest that the cannabinoid type 2 receptor (CB2R) may be helpful in preventing asthma (3). The development of asthma is linked to the activation of C-fibers, and researchers did find that CB2R activation, but not CB1R, could prevent the activation of C-fibers.Activating CB2R could be important in attenuating HIV-associated inflammation, which ultimately leads to destruction of parts of the body such as neurons, resulting in changes in cognitive and motor functions.

When HIV infects a cell, it releases viral proteins that create inflammation and attract healthy immune cells. One such viral protein called tat causes immune cells to arrive at the site of infection and usually become infected by HIV. Tat appears to be inhibited by cannabinods that activate the CB2R. THC and CP55,940 were both able to inhibit tat-mediated attraction and thus suppress this aspect of HIV/AIDS (4).

The cannabinoid receptors are also abundant in the gut. A lot of work has studied the therapeutic role of cannabinoids to treat diseases of the intestines such as infections, irritable bowel syndrome, abdominal pain, etc. Cannabinoids help control the two main functions of the gut: digestion and host defense. The collective research on this subject was reviewed and the authors suggest that academia and industry should fully develop cannabinoids as a treatment for diseases of the gastro- intestinal tract (2).

Nearly every week positive research on cannabis and cannabinoids is published by labs around the world. Despite the promising implications, the work of these pioneering scientists often goes unnoticed in media and the ‘science sections’ of national newspapers. Furthermore, medical schools do not provide any classes on cannabinoids, which forces patients to stay up-todate with the research on their own, in order to better inform their doctors of potential benefits of cannabis.

These examples offer a glimpse of a blossoming research field. By discussing cannabis research with doctors, other patients, friends and family you can prevent more studies from remaining unnoticed, underreported, or misunderstood.

1) Fischedick et al. Cannabinoid Receptor 1 Binding Activity and Quantitative Analysis of Cannabis sativa L. Smoke and Vapor. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 58(2) 201—207 (2010)
2) Izzo et al. Cannabinoids and the gut: New developments and emerging concepts. Pharmacol Ther (2010).
3) Fukuda et al. The Cann. Receptor Agonist WIN 55,212-2 Inhibits Antigen-Induced Plasma Extravasation in Guinea Pig Airways. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 12;152(3):295-300 (2010)
4) Raborn et al. Cann. Inhibtion of Macrophage Migration To the TAT protein of HIV-1 is linked to the CB2 canabinoid receptor. JPET (2010).:done:

mashman
23rd July 2010, 15:25
Recent studies suggest its dangerous for children under 6. Ingredients in baby teething gel is also potentially fatal in small children. Who would have thought...

aye, not me... pretty scary though... don't they call that medical misadventure or somefink? but i guess you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs eh... :angry: money talks grrrrrrr

mashman
23rd July 2010, 15:30

they used to shove my head over a steaming bowl of eye watering vicks... something similar to an inhaler could be the go... as mentioned above vapourisation seems to be the most effective delivery mechanism... hmmmm, might try that next time I get a cold :)...

XxKiTtiExX
23rd July 2010, 15:35
aye, not me... pretty scary though... don't they call that medical misadventure or somefink? but i guess you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs eh... :angry: money talks grrrrrrr

We found out after I accidently picked up mouth ulcer gel that was in the same stack as the teething gel, used it on my son and then realized. Did a read up on it, neither of which (ulcer or teething) were recommended for under 16 years old as ingredients in them can trigger a potentially fatal syndrome. I think certain countries banned some of the stuff that was in them. Raised the issue with the local supermarket about these two products in similar packaging being shelved together, (my own fault also I know) but to be blunt they didn't want to know.

Store up on lemon and honey for the little ones throat.

mashman
23rd July 2010, 15:41
We found out after I accidently picked up mouth ulcer gel that was in the same stack as the teething gel, used it on my son and then realized. Did a read up on it, neither of which (ulcer or teething) were recommended for under 16 years old as ingredients in them can trigger a potentially fatal syndrome. I think certain countries banned some of the stuff that was in them. Raised the issue with the local supermarket about these two products in similar packaging being shelved together, (my own fault also I know) but to be blunt they didn't want to know.

Store up on lemon and honey for the little ones throat.

Fook me I've never really read the boxes of teething gel, just ordinarily assume that because it's teething sother, nothing out of the ordinary would be in it... guess the ordinary isn't tried and tested anymore :shutup: kinda worrying lol...

Shame on the store for not paying attention... Perhaps that's what this legislation is for... to bypass the fuckin care nots...

R-Soul
23rd July 2010, 15:51
"No drugs at birth" deaths....... 15.7 deaths per 1000 live births

"Cocaine positive" deaths.......17.7 deaths per 1000 live births

"Opiate positive" deaths.......18.4 deaths per 1000 live births

"Cannabis positive" deaths.... 8.9 deaths per 1000 live births [5]

. Perhaps it is time that someone considers doing a study of pediatric, non-psychoactive cannabinoid use to treat "failure to thrive" infants!

You you give THC to kids who wont eat to give them the munchies?

Usarka
23rd July 2010, 16:45
...or...it's almost as safe to be on coke than being drug free :wari:

SMOKEU
23rd July 2010, 16:47
There's a fine balance of too many drugs or not enough drugs.

onearmedbandit
23rd July 2010, 17:12
There's a fine balance of too many drugs or not enough drugs.

Yep. I'm still trying to find the right balance, and I know it's a lack of them. But I'm doing my damnest to rectify that.

SMOKEU
23rd July 2010, 17:40
Yep. I'm still trying to find the right balance, and I know it's a lack of them. But I'm doing my damnest to rectify that.

Joining the fight against sobriety.

Number One
23rd July 2010, 17:41
Restricted from May you say...meh who cares - that shit doesn't even get me drunk anymore anyway!

mashman
23rd July 2010, 20:34
Restricted from May you say...meh who cares - that shit doesn't even get me drunk anymore anyway!

drink more :)

Number One
23rd July 2010, 21:43
drink more :)

Cheaper to buy other stuff ;)