PDA

View Full Version : DR200 petrol in airbox?

DR650gary
26th July 2010, 17:21
Ok, got the jetkit from Keintech. It shows a washer under the clip on the needle but mine has a plastic spacer. From an earlier post I saw that the recommendation was to raise the e clip on the new needle and put the plastic spacer underneath so I did this. I also emailed Keintech to ask their opinion.

Put it all together and it started straight away and even idled but bogged a bit after a while and died. Was hard to start then but I managed to get it going with a ton of throttle but it was crappy on the road whenever I opened the throttle right up, but not immediately.

Removed the seat and looked in the airbox, petrol in the bottom. Soaked it up with a rag and watched for a moment, no more petrol. Started the bike with a lot of throttle and saw petrol coming into the bottom again. It only runs in when the bike is running. The petcock works as does the needle and seat as the bowl drains then stops. It only lets fuel into the airbox while the motor is running. Is this the float height or something else. Why would it change due to new jets being installed?

Mystery?

As a thought, is it possible to bend the tang by pushing the float bowls up while they are installed? When I cut the bottom of the idle jet cover/tube as per Keintech's instructions I had the bowl off to get access and I held the floats up out of the way by pushing firmly with a finger or two while I did the cutting.

Help.

MXNUT
28th July 2010, 17:05
Ok, got the jetkit from Keintech. It shows a washer under the clip on the needle but mine has a plastic spacer. From an earlier post I saw that the recommendation was to raise the e clip on the new needle and put the plastic spacer underneath so I did this. I also emailed Keintech to ask their opinion.

Put it all together and it started straight away and even idled but bogged a bit after a while and died. Was hard to start then but I managed to get it going with a ton of throttle but it was crappy on the road whenever I opened the throttle right up, but not immediately.

Removed the seat and looked in the airbox, petrol in the bottom. Soaked it up with a rag and watched for a moment, no more petrol. Started the bike with a lot of throttle and saw petrol coming into the bottom again. It only runs in when the bike is running. The petcock works as does the needle and seat as the bowl drains then stops. It only lets fuel into the airbox while the motor is running. Is this the float height or something else. Why would it change due to new jets being installed?

Mystery?

As a thought, is it possible to bend the tang by pushing the float bowls up while they are installed? When I cut the bottom of the idle jet cover/tube as per Keintech's instructions I had the bowl off to get access and I held the floats up out of the way by pushing firmly with a finger or two while I did the cutting.

Help.

Plastic spacer goes on top of the needle in between the needle and the spring to hold the needle down. I am running the needle on the bottom clip from memory ( i did have a bit of a play around and found that is where it ran best on WOT ).
The way you have it will be making the bike way too rich,however that will not be the cause of petrol in the airbox.

That can only be from a leaking needle and seat valve or incorrect float height. Since you had no problems before the mod i would suspect it will be the float height and not the needle and seat valve.

You should have removed the hinge pin from the float before carring out the mod to cut the carb body to fit the new mixture screw.

I suspect that in doing it the way you have done you have bent the adjusting tag on the float and changed the float height.

There will be a float height measurement from the float bowl mounting face to the top of the float when holding the carby upside down, though i dont know what the measurement is.You may have to ring Suzuki for that one.

I also resorted to putting the air box lid back on and cutting four 30-40 mm holes in the lid as i found that this cut down the induction roar quite a lot.

MXNUT
28th July 2010, 18:27
There will be a float height measurement from the float bowl mounting face to the top of the float when holding the carby upside down, though i dont know what the measurement is.You may have to ring Suzuki for that one.

Nope found the owners manual and the float height measurement is 13mm + or - 1mm. Pm me if you want the diagram emailed.

DR650gary
28th July 2010, 18:29
Ok, the DJ jet kit is in the DR200, it is running fine and no more petrol running back into the airbox. It does seem to make a difference to the bike. There is no real flat spot through the rev range and it did get to 60mph in a shorter distance. I have to get my wife out on it as it is her bike to see if there is anything that she notices but my immediate impression is that there is a difference and it definitely has more punch. I rang Jesse at Keintech and he insisted that I put the flat nylon washer under the e clip and put the clip on the 4th from the top. I did this, reset the float height and flow back problem solved. I removed the filter and had a look and it was a very heavy mist that was coming back and soaking the foam then running to the bottom. So, DR200 sorted.

The DJ jet hit is also in my DR650. I spoke with Jesse today to confirm what to do with the air box as the DJ kit says to remove the lid and there is no lid.

I found the job much easier to do by removing the tank, the rear air box unit, then the large rubber link tube which gave me good access to the carb. I had to whisk the carb up to my mechanic as he has a better quality impact driver than me to remove the 2 bowls screws rather than strip then grind them. I used a small hacksaw blade to cut the facet in nylon washer, measured and marked the extra hole in the slide and drilled it from the outside as my drill bit was too short and there was no drill in the kit I got from Jesse. Probably because I didn't order one as I didn't know I needed it. If you are ordering the kit through Jesse at Keintech, get the drill.

I then replaced the main jet and reassembled. The hardest part was getting the tiny metal washer to stay on top of the e clip. In the end, I used some long medical tweezers that I have.

I used a hole saw, hacksaw blade, file and then sandpaper to cut the top of the box in an approximation of the picture on the Keintech website.

Reversed the removal order but did fill the carb with fuel to ensure that the needle and seat was working and that the bike started and ran then put the tank on.

Took it down the road and there is definitely an increase in performance. I believe lifting the front would be a little easier and there was little or no bogging accelerating from 55kph in 5th gear. There was a little bit of a stumble but not the semi stalling that used to happen when I gassed it around the 50 kph mark.

So all good and I am happy with the product and backup from Keintech. :yes:

Cheers

DR650gary
28th July 2010, 18:33
I found the float height on the ADVRider DR200 page. I had bent it flat when I pushed it out of the way and it was less than 12mm. I resisted knocking out the pin and releasing the floats as the bike has only done 6,000 kms so should be relatively unworn and also because I have broken a post once before with my heavy hand.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers