PDA

View Full Version : Christchurch Adventure ride (Sunday 1 Aug)

mattsdakar
27th July 2010, 13:31
Hi guys,
Hungry to get my new XR650R out for a day ride and get it dirty.
Been a while since the usual suspects have got together for a ride so thought I'd put it out there.
Thinking of meeting at Caltex Russley at 0900 go up Waimak to Oxford, coffee and refuel there then go thru Ashley Gorge, Okuku Saddle then turn off thru MacDonald Downs to Waikari for gas then up to Lake Taylor/Lake Sumner if gate open and return back similar route but out thru Rangiora
Who's keen???
Rgds Matt
NB: Haven't spoken to MacDonald Station yet for permission to cross their land, usually a small Koha involved

cynna
27th July 2010, 15:54
will see how i go getting the day off on sunday but i dont like my chances...

Transalper
27th July 2010, 17:15
I want to say yes but will reserve my decision for a few days. It's all about fuel money you know. Do I spend it now on a day out or later on a week away... oh delema

Peril
27th July 2010, 17:24
Could be keen,just re registered the XT so if it's not pissing down/wife says no,I should be there.

joshkies
27th July 2010, 19:05
Hi matt josh here i did the ride down to the dusty butt with you this year. i could be keen just going to keep an eye on the weather. i went though lees valley on saturday 24 july and couldnt pass the river and had to turn back would have been a metre deep. will be in touch later in the week am wanting to take my new toy out too. xt660

mattsdakar
27th July 2010, 19:31
Hi matt josh here i did the ride down to the dusty butt with you this year. i could be keen just going to keep an eye on the weather. i went though lees valley on saturday 24 july and couldnt pass the river and had to turn back would have been a metre deep. will be in touch later in the week am wanting to take my new toy out too. xt660

Hey Josh, I agree not much point going if it is pissing down, I'll check water flow through Okuku River in the morning, if it's high we can always go the other way thru Rangiora, there are no big river crossings thru MacDonald Downs, be good to see a few along

mattsdakar
27th July 2010, 19:33
I want to say yes but will reserve my decision for a few days. It's all about fuel money you know. Do I spend it now on a day out or later on a week away... oh delema

Come on TA, can't put a price on fun, whats a tank of gas between friends!!!

thepom
27th July 2010, 20:05
Hey Josh,good to see you,ve come to my way of thinking and bought something with a bigger tank!..I ll come along if the weather is good and I can get up the waimak without falling off....fuck I hate riverbeds......

joshkies
27th July 2010, 20:57
yer i got sick of sitting on a plank, having no fuel range and not being able to carry gear now i just need heated hand grips lol think im getting soft in my old age

mattsdakar
27th July 2010, 22:16
Hey Josh,good to see you,ve come to my way of thinking and bought something with a bigger tank!..I ll come along if the weather is good and I can get up the waimak without falling off....fuck I hate riverbeds......

Don't worry Kenny we won't be going up any riverbeds, just gravel roads

Peeteey
28th July 2010, 00:21
Hey guys, Am new to this adventure riding thing but if I can wake up (work nights) then I'm in!
Also provided I get the DR back from the shop in time :confused:

Let's hope it's :sunny:

Coolio!

RedKLR650
28th July 2010, 01:27
Hi guys,
Hungry to get my new XR650R out for a day ride and get it dirty.
Been a while since the usual suspects have got together for a ride so thought I'd put it out there.
Thinking of meeting at Caltex Russley at 0900 go up Waimak to Oxford, coffee and refuel there then go thru Ashley Gorge, Okuku Saddle then turn off thru MacDonald Downs to Waikari for gas then up to Lake Taylor/Lake Sumner if gate open and return back similar route but out thru Rangiora
Who's keen???
Rgds Matt
NB: Haven't spoken to MacDonald Station yet for permission to cross their land, usually a small Koha involved

Still doing my walk for demerit points ( only 32 more days to go ) but had a photoshoot in the forest about 3km immediately west of the Okuku Pass on Monday so after seeing that area I'm extremely envious of you lot. Bloody nice gravel roads up that way

Weather forecast isn't looking too flash at this stage though...

http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/forecast1.php?type=rain&region=nzsi&tim=108

All the best, hope to catch up with you all again after the end of August

Cheers, Stu
0274 342 372

Buddha#81
28th July 2010, 08:20
I'd join ya but I'm motarding the XR the following weekend and carnt be assed swapping every thing over to change it back again. Next time!

cynna
28th July 2010, 11:23
couldnt pass the river and had to turn back would have been a metre deep

that wont stop matt - i thought it was uncrossable when he took me thru it a few months ago...... :blink:

couldnt get the day off so im definately out for this ride

mattsdakar
28th July 2010, 14:07
that wont stop matt - i thought it was uncrossable when he took me thru it a few months ago...... :blink:

couldnt get the day off so im definately out for this ride

Bugger! Was hoping for more XR's!

mattsdakar
28th July 2010, 14:09
I'd join ya but I'm motarding the XR the following weekend and carnt be assed swapping every thing over to change it back again. Next time!

Buddha your a slack arse, you'll need to get some gravel hours up if you want to do the next Dusty Butt with us!

mattsdakar
28th July 2010, 14:22
Due to variations in water level of Okuku River think best to meet at The Peg carpark in Belfast (before start of motorway) and head out thru Rangiora into Lees Valley. We will take a look at the River crossing on our way back (ie: reverse order from original plan). Not much fun being wet all day!
For those that tire easily or want to get home earlier there is always the option of returning by road from Waikari
Please have $10 cash for land owner koha...see you at the peg 0900
Cheers Matt

Peril
28th July 2010, 17:10
Bugger! Was hoping for more XR's!

Looks like it'll be an XT fest then ;) Seems the mighty DR650 is in decline also.....:dodge:

Transalper
28th July 2010, 17:24
lol, there will be one.
I am a confirmed starter if it ain't rained off. Have subscribed to this thread for updates.

Buddha#81
28th July 2010, 19:43
Buddha your a slack arse, you'll need to get some gravel hours up if you want to do the next Dusty Butt with us!

I've ordered a truck load for the driveway to practice on........I'll be ready!!!!

Skinny_Birdman
29th July 2010, 08:19
Bugger, I have family thing on Sunday otherwise I would have been keen to represent slightly weightier bikes. I went through Lees Valley on 18 July, the crossing was deep but not a show stopper. It was a pretty chilly trip back afterward though, permafrost on the ground etc.:shit:

Lugzy23
29th July 2010, 09:22
I would be keen but the KLR is for sale on trade me and is not legal at the moment. Might think about trailoring a dirtbike in but will see how we go

Crim
29th July 2010, 12:05
At this stage, I am as keen as a very keen thing:yes: will keep an eye on the thread and the weather!

Skinny_Birdman
29th July 2010, 12:45
I would be keen but the KLR is for sale on trade me

Say what!!???

Transalper
29th July 2010, 18:14
..... I went through Lees Valley on 18 July, the crossing was deep but not a show stopper. ...
It's flooded since then flowing a peak of 146 cumecs on the 23rd, dropping back to about 25 cumecs on the 24th and been slowing dropping overall down to about 5.5cumecs by 1pm today.

mattsdakar
30th July 2010, 00:36
Water crossings goody goody!

TA for your info I'm thinking about doing that wee loop in MacDonald Downs from the hay shed where you had that watery lie down so you may want to bring your waders!!

Skinny_Birdman
30th July 2010, 07:27
It's flooded since then flowing a peak of 146 cumecs on the 23rd, dropping back to about 25 cumecs on the 24th and been slowing dropping overall down to about 5.5cumecs by 1pm today.

See what happens when I leave Canterbury for a weekend.:yes:

Crim
30th July 2010, 09:23
Still doing my walk for demerit points ( only 32 more days to go ) but had a photoshoot in the forest about 3km immediately west of the Okuku Pass on Monday so after seeing that area I'm extremely envious of you lot. Bloody nice gravel roads up that way

Weather forecast isn't looking too flash at this stage though...

Cheers, Stu

Pity you can't make it, mate - the weather is now looking o for oarsum on Sunday - Max 18 min 6 - we could all strip off to our mankinis to cross the Okuku in that kind of heat!:Punk:

Buddha#81
30th July 2010, 09:31
we could strip off to our mankinis to cross the Okuku in that kind of heat!:Punk:

Now I'm worried. I thought bucket and motard racers were a strange bunch to hang out with, I'm not too sure about heading out into the backblocks with your kind? 100km from the nearest house you be telling me i got "prurdy lips" and go all brokeback mountain?:laugh:

thepom
30th July 2010, 18:11
Sadly I ll be at work so its a no go for me..:angry:

mattsdakar
30th July 2010, 23:43
Sadly I ll be at work so its a no go for me..:angry:

That's a bummer Kenny.

I won't be checking this thread again before the ride as my home computer is temporarily out of action.
For those coming can you be ready to leave the Peg at 0900 as meeting a couple of others at Loburn at 0930, if you are late, follow the skid marks!
Cheers

Peeteey
31st July 2010, 01:00
Now I'm worried. I thought bucket and motard racers were a strange bunch to hang out with, I'm not too sure about heading out into the backblocks with your kind? 100km from the nearest house you be telling me i got "prurdy lips" and go all brokeback mountain?:laugh:

"Purdy Lips" was from Deliverance wasn't it? "Squeal like a pig, boy" and all that?
Dueling Banjos, that's the one!

Crim
1st August 2010, 13:38
Thanks for organising that Matt, a good day (or half for me) - shit tyres and shit rider meant just a bridge too far on some sections, so I'll have to get new tyres or get new skills. Can anyone PM me Transalper's cellphone number as he got split out of the two groups and I just want to check he is not still up there with a fault on his bike? Nice meeting you Blair thanks for waiting round for a noob like me
Cheers, Crim

Peril
1st August 2010, 13:46
No worries Crim,better off having to follow someone slower than having to backtrack to find them.
I seriously don't think I'll attempt a ride again while on the tail end of a flu.

Transalper
1st August 2010, 15:07
I'm here.
I came off on the rocks just after Crim turned back.
Nothing major, been done before on same type of terrain. Them rocks and I don't see eye to eye.
I went back to the Shed thinking everyone would end up back there as I thought they were doing a loop and expecting to see Crim waiting, but Crim was not there so thought he must have gone home.
I had my pie for morning tea while I pondered my next move, then decided to find another way to the top and did just that thanks to the topo maps on the gps.
I eventually rejoined the tyre marks from the group, they turned right through a gate and I coming from the other way turned left through the same gate to follow the wheel marks all the rest the way out to Ram Paddock Rd. I turned left to head to Lake Sumner but with all the wind and sort of feeling like I'd been far enough I turned around and headed home.
I enjoyed myself even though a couple of times I thought to myself no one knows I'm here if it all goes wrong. Happy to say I did not fall over again after the first.

Photos to follow.

Peril
1st August 2010, 15:12
Good to see you were alright TA,myself and Crim waited at the stocktrack intersection for about 10-15mins while the others carried on.
I too had a wee lie down on that hillclimb up near the top,with the bike dropping slightly over the bank.....Maybe I should have let it fall the 200ish metres to the bottom :devil2:

Crim
1st August 2010, 15:36
Today's group
1 'zuki, 1 Klr, 2 Yams, 1 Honda and 5 KTM's

Transalper
1st August 2010, 16:02
1- X marks the spot where I met the rocks.
2- After eating my lunch I went that way instead.
3- Making progress
4- Rainbow
5- Did they go up or down.... down, I see the marks.

Transalper
1st August 2010, 16:08
6- Nice view
7- looking forward from the nice view
8- I see wheel marks over there
9- I remember this spot from the last ride in here when I was on the CRF.
10- Can't be lost with a sign like that.
11- Nice roads ahead.

Crim
1st August 2010, 16:53
That sign where "you can't be lost" is where Blair and I waited for you, little did we know you just didn't want to share your pie!

Transalper
1st August 2010, 17:11
Ahh, I see now.

Here's my track log. Yellow is me. Red dots is where the others went beyond my fall/turn back.
I see i went a bit further than I thought before re joining their path. No wonder I never saw anyone again.
Didn't know at the time that you two others had gone to the sign or where it was.
We came in down bottom at the Brothers, I think the sign is the other red dot where the Stock Rd meets the yellow track again.

Peeteey
1st August 2010, 18:01
I'm so bummed out that I missed the ride today! Looked like a great day and perfect weather too ...

Bloody insomnia! :angry:

Anyhoo, please let me know when the next one is so I can come and keep the Suzuki numbers up ...:Punk:

helenoftroy
1st August 2010, 20:59
My boy Sam(Casualty)should have been there today......dont ask!!:oi-grr:

Was all organized,geez his mum had even made him a packed lunch!:bye:

Oh well...next time.... like Peeteey says

cooneyr
1st August 2010, 22:05
Sounds like a good one. Seems you didn't have to cross the river this time TA? :shutup:

I'll be back into one day soon hopefully!

Buddha#81
2nd August 2010, 08:09
My boy Sam(Casualty)should have been there today......dont ask!!:oi-grr:

Was all organized,geez his mum had even made him a packed lunch!:bye:

Oh well...next time.... like Peeteey says

geez, with a cut lunch too.....Sam either got pissed or scored? I used the day to put a Pro Circuit muffler on the XR and get bot bike ready for next Saturday......Top day though.

Transalper
2nd August 2010, 08:51
My boy Sam(Casualty)should have been there today......dont ask!!:oi-grr:....
I do wonder what happened, spoke to him on Saturday at Little River and he said he was going then. I was guessing either he didn't get up in time or the bike wouldn't start.

Sounds like a good one. Seems you didn't have to cross the river this time TA? :shutup:...!No big rivers this time, got home with dry feet.:niceone:

helenoftroy
3rd August 2010, 00:44
geez, with a cut lunch too.....Sam either got pissed or scored? I used the day to put a Pro Circuit muffler on the XR and get bot bike ready for next Saturday......Top day though.
Mum is not going to comment!!!:killingme

I do wonder what happened, spoke to him on Saturday at Little River and he said he was going then. I was guessing either he didn't get up in time or the bike wouldn't start.

He was keen as a very keen thing!
All organized,extra fuel loaded etc he even slept at home & not his flat
....didnt sleep & wasnt up for anything in the morning:shit:

Sam has got the starting sorted,1st or 2nd kick:niceone:
One more week and I will be riding again

This weekend is a biggie for the race guys with racing at Ruapuna Saturday & Sunday.Budda & MotoRad-ical will be racing the XR & Husky in Motards

Budda,MotoRad,joskies & Casualty(Sam) etc will all be racing the mighty FXRs in Buckets

Transalper
3rd August 2010, 08:39
Now now, I've done a heap of rides on only a couple of hours sleep. That was Peeteeys excuse too.
First Dusty Butt ride was probably the worst.
Got to Nelson about 8pm, by the time I sorted my tea, camera, bike and a few other things ready for the morning, I went to bed about 1am. Still watching the clock too excited to sleep at 3am, had to get up for breakfast at 4:50am and be at the start for the 5:30am kick off.
Once on the move I was good for most the day. It did catch up with me later though, but I'd done 500 or so dusty km by then.
Doesn't happen quite so often before big rides now.

cynna
3rd August 2010, 11:39
Sam has got the starting sorted,1st or 2nd kick:niceone:
One more week and I will be riding again

he can give me lessons then ....

bet you will be glad to get riding again. how long before you are racing again

mattsdakar
3rd August 2010, 15:15
Well what a huge day.
Good to see a few new faces. It's a pity we got separated from TA so early. Sorry about losing you TA, we didn't intiationally do it. After the first hill climb we stopped for about 10minutes to drag Blairs bike back up on to the track, Blair told us that Crim had turned back so when you hadn't arrived we assumed you had gone back with Crim.
Lesson of the day for Crim is don't turn up to an Adventure ride on a rain sodden farm with road tyres, you live and lean eh!
Anyway after we got thru Macdonald Downs we had a nice pub lunch at Waikari then headed up to Lake Sumner. The road up there was fantastic with light drizzle to dampen the dust down. We made it right up to basically the swing bridge before giving it death on the way back. Must say I was impressed with Josh on his trusty XT, he can certainly hold his own and think the KTM boys were quite impressed.

We went back home thru Mac Downs but didn't go out thru Oxford as it was already getting dark. All in all a great day out with no crashes or mechanical issues and awesome roads/scenery.
Very happy with my new XR, it never missed a beat and the extra power was fun.

joshkies
3rd August 2010, 18:06
why thanks matt, KTM boys and others for a great ride. yer the XT punts along alll right got a few things to change now and look forward to the next ride.

helenoftroy
4th August 2010, 00:01
he can give me lessons then ....

bet you will be glad to get riding again. how long before you are racing again

Lol!I want lessons too!:argh:....

See my surgeon this week....:whistle:
Sam will race this weekend then I will be back on the track the weekend after,fingers crossed....