PDA

View Full Version : Parking tickets and travel

R6_kid
28th July 2010, 18:50
So I got a couple of parking tickets on my car for expired wof/reg... why the Auckland City Council is allowed to charge me for a driving offence I'll never understand but that's not really my problem right now.

I'm due to go to Australia in just over a weeks time, I intend to dispute the ticket but I was told that if the fine is outstanding that I will be stopped from leaving when I get to customs at the airport.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Mom
28th July 2010, 19:12
You are fuckt! :yes: No holiday for you :shutup:

You will be fine as Gareth, dont stress, unless you have court papers saying you are a delinquent debtor who owes fines. If so, pay them, get a receipt and then go.

rustic101
28th July 2010, 19:19
So I got a couple of parking tickets on my car for expired wof/reg... why the Auckland City Council is allowed to charge me for a driving offence I'll never understand but that's not really my problem right now.

I'm due to go to Australia in just over a weeks time, I intend to dispute the ticket but I was told that if the fine is outstanding that I will be stopped from leaving when I get to customs at the airport.

Any Fines Warrant and Boarder Alert will be loaded by MoJ. All Councils must follow due process before this can happen. Check the date of issue and if disputing make sure you have correspondence with you when you travel through the Boarder.

rustic101
28th July 2010, 19:21
Councils administer parking, tax's etc under the authority of the Land Transport Management Act 2003. Also Schedule 2A of the Transport Act 1962 Offences Enforceable by Parking Wardens.

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/parking/offences.asp?parkingoffence=parkingoffence3l#3l

Toaster
28th July 2010, 19:44

They are not driving offences but infringements relating to the road legal status of your car and these can indeed be issued by either police or council wardens if you are parked in a public place.

On what grounds do you believe you can dispute the expired WOF and registration?

Max Preload
29th July 2010, 00:52
If they haven't gone to court yet (which it sounds like since you haven't disputed them) then you can certainly travel. They're only an infringement offence notice at this time, not a fine.

On what grounds do you believe you can dispute the expired WOF and registration?

I'd like to know that too since there really aren't any! :lol: Perhaps he means appeal, in which case this (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10661065) might be of interest.

R6_kid
29th July 2010, 09:55

The tickets say I was parked on Queen Street when I was actually in an underground parking building. I never went anywhere near Queen Street in my car that night.

On a side note; my car which has no WOF/rego is currently safer than bike which has both - the brake light switch on my bike failed within days of getting the WOF. I'm looking forward to living in South Australia where you don't need road worthiness checks, you just need to be sure that it is safe. If you're wondering why I don't have WOF/rego on my car it's because some cunt smashed my side mirror off two days before i was going to get my WOF, I'd only just fitted the side view mirror on and hadn't had a chance to sort out the bureaucratic side of things yet. Either way, WOF is only valid at the time of inspection, and rego backdates when I pay it anyway.

Max Preload
30th July 2010, 00:21
Either way, WOF is only valid at the time of inspection, and rego backdates when I pay it anyway.But you must still display a "current evidence of inspection" and "current vehicle license". Beng below WoF standard is different to failing to display it. And the vehicle license must be current because it can be put on exemption from continuous licensing up to 2 months after the last license expiry without any license fees payable.