PDA

View Full Version : Nerd help? Please?

Gubb
28th July 2010, 22:42
OK. I'm desperate. I've just spent hours trawling Google for possible answers.

I've just bought a new Desktop PC.

Motherboard - MIS K9N6SGM-V
CPU - AMD 64X2 Dual Core 2.5Ghz
Current RAM - 1Gb DDR2667

I've also just purchased another stick of 2Gb RAM. (DDR2 PC2-6400).

When I put the new stick into the MoBo, the PC didn't boot up. It powered on, but the Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse didn't work. After pulling the new stick out, it works fine. Removing the old RAM, and putting the new RAM into the slot has the same issue.

I've tried all the combinations of the new/old RAM together and seperately, and the only combo that works is the old RAM alone.

I checked the compatibility of the RAM and MoBo, and it seemed fine.

Where have I gone wrong, and how can I test to see if the new one is a dud-stick?

The Stranger
28th July 2010, 22:46
Where have I gone wrong, and how can I test to see if the new one is a dud-stick?

What are you posting here for, just PM DB.

boomer
28th July 2010, 22:47
one of two things,

a) teh rams busted..rts
b) the combo in teh slots needs to be specific, rtfm ( probably slot 1 & 3 or slot 2 & 4 or 1 & 2 etc )

option c) take it back and tell ém your too stupid to own a pc and u want ur $$ back

Gubb
28th July 2010, 22:48
What are you posting here for, just PM DB.
I don't want him to to stick it up his arse first though.

Gubb
28th July 2010, 22:49
one of two things,

a) teh rams busted..rts
b) the combo in teh slots needs to be specific, rtfm ( probably slot 1 & 3 or slot 2 & 4 or 1 & 2 etc )

option c) take it back and tell ém your too stupid to own a pc and u want ur $$ back
Only have 2 slots to play with, but will try to find a manual and read the fucking thing now.

2wheeldrifter
28th July 2010, 22:50
Maybe it's TOO much ram, maybe try just 1gb of ram?

Gubb
28th July 2010, 22:54
Maybe it's TOO much ram, maybe try just 1gb of ram?
After serious Googling, there seems to be sopme who say that it goes to 8Gb, others to 2Gb. No real consensus. It should work with just the 2Gb stick alone either way though.

2wheeldrifter
28th July 2010, 22:58
Yeah true just 2gb alone should work....

fuck it ,proves I am not nerd though lol :)

pete376403
28th July 2010, 23:00
Manual says memory support = 2Gb max DDRII 533/667/800

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloadfile&dno=4212&type=manual

Gubb
28th July 2010, 23:04
So that,s 2Gb total, or per stick?

I assume total. Still doesn't say why the new stick doesn't work alone in either slot.

pete376403
28th July 2010, 23:19
Hmm PC2 - 6400 should be equivalent to pc2-800. Are there any settings for memory speed in BIOS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM#Backward_compatibility

And yeah it does look like 2 gigs max.

Gubb
28th July 2010, 23:27
Gak.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1086

MSI Website, states 8Gb under the "Main Memory" section.

Would latest Drivers make any difference? Unsure about the Speed in Bios, will have a look.

Down side is i've only got one PC and keep switching everything over. I started this far too late tonight.

Max Preload
29th July 2010, 00:16
Would latest Drivers make any difference? Unsure about the Speed in Bios, will have a look.Flashing to the latest BIOS (http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1086) might.

Gubb
29th July 2010, 00:46
Flashing to the latest BIOS (http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1086) might.
YOU FUCKING LEGEND.

We now have 3Gb of RAM working properly.

Looks like my firstborn will be known as "Max".

Gremlin
29th July 2010, 00:53
I feel sorry for the second already :lol:

Gubb
29th July 2010, 00:57
...now, if I can only find a quieter fan. These new ones are crazy loud.

Max Preload
29th July 2010, 01:03
Let the mocking begin...

http://digit-8.com/wp-content/images/real-noob.jpg

Max Preload
29th July 2010, 01:09
I feel sorry for the second already :lol:Hey! And you can slow down too, Rossi, coming out of Commerce Street going left onto Customs Street on a Friday night!! :gob:

Gremlin
29th July 2010, 02:20
Hey! And you can slow down too, Rossi, coming out of Commerce Street going left onto Customs Street on a Friday night!! :gob:
Whatever do you mean... speed limit is still somewhere above :innocent:

http://www.ihasaflavor.com/lolcats/u-hafta-push-teh-start-button.jpg

Banditbandit
29th July 2010, 08:42
OK. I'm desperate. I've just spent hours trawling Google for possible answers.

I've just bought a new Desktop PC.

Motherboard - MIS K9N6SGM-V
CPU - AMD 64X2 Dual Core 2.5Ghz
Current RAM - 1Gb DDR2667

I've also just purchased another stick of 2Gb RAM. (DDR2 PC2-6400).

When I put the new stick into the MoBo, the PC didn't boot up. It powered on, but the Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse didn't work. After pulling the new stick out, it works fine. Removing the old RAM, and putting the new RAM into the slot has the same issue.

I've tried all the combinations of the new/old RAM together and seperately, and the only combo that works is the old RAM alone.

I checked the compatibility of the RAM and MoBo, and it seemed fine.

Say whaaa ... ??? Have you checked the kill switch is set to Run and have you tried starting it with the choke closed? :doh:

Slyer
29th July 2010, 09:17
Remember to never buy MSI, terrible boards.
Stick to Gigabyte. Or Asus.

EJK
29th July 2010, 09:21
Don't worry, ID-10T error happens alot.

Gubb
29th July 2010, 09:47
*sigh* Now it's getting wierd.

Tried to boot up this morning, and same thing is happening. Pull out the new stick, and it works fine.

It was working last night. What the hell?

Mom
29th July 2010, 09:47
...now, if I can only find a quieter fan. These new ones are crazy loud.

Ear muffs are your friends :yes:

Slyer
29th July 2010, 10:09

Tried to boot up this morning, and same thing is happening. Pull out the new stick, and it works fine.

MSI boooooard

Gremlin
29th July 2010, 11:27

When you did the BIOS update, did you reset the BIOS to optimal settings? Right after doing a BIOS update, its best to jump into it, set to optimal settings, then reset any settings that it needs.

Where did you get the new stick from, have you run it through memtest? Memtest won't find every single error in a memory stick, but its a good starting point.

Juzz976
29th July 2010, 14:40
I'd try running with only the 2GB stick to run 800MHz not 3GB at 667MHz
I know very few people who have at any point used more than 1.6GB at any time.

Check the system time also maybe your CMOS battery is dead
other things to check
Quick boot (skip mem count)
Memory Clock Speed- auto
Erorr Checking - off

sometimes if using 2 different modules they run using lowest speed device,
if latency is different then it may not like you much.

sometimes 800mhz is slower than 667 if the 667 has less latency

pete376403
29th July 2010, 21:35
Well sorry if i was wrong about the max memory, but the manual downloaded from MSI for that board states 2Gb max.

MSI, eh?

Just for the interest, about how much did the PC cost? (or did you just buy the board?)
FWIW I built a nice PC today: Gigabyte board, i7-860CPU, 8gig ram, 1tb disk, Nvidia dual head graphics (1gig video ram), case with 500w PSU and 24" LCD. $1600.

Gubb
29th July 2010, 22:02
Well sorry if i was wrong about the max memory, but the manual downloaded from MSI for that board states 2Gb max.

MSI, eh?

Just for the interest, about how much did the PC cost? (or did you just buy the board?)
FWIW I built a nice PC today: Gigabyte board, i7-860CPU, 8gig ram, 1tb disk, Nvidia dual head graphics (1gig video ram), case with 500w PSU and 24" LCD. $1600.

$325.
Shithouse MSI Board
512Mb Dedicated Graphics Card
You know the rest.

Not flash at all, I just wanted to be able to swear on the Internet faster.