PDA

View Full Version : Bug out kits or bomb shelters? civil war and disasters

scissorhands
29th July 2010, 10:29
I was thinking about end time scenarios and earthquakes, tsunamis, floods, plagues, meteor hits and volcanic eruptions, and trying to sort out the practical from the sensational.

Thank goodness we dont have Kosovo or East Timor situations here in NZ, at least outside of areas like east cape, even then only a minor threat of civil war.

I suppose if your a landowner in a secure location not susceptible to floods etc, you would choose a bomb shelter and fill it with food and stuff. In a less secure home location a bug out kit is normally the next option, or both.

I keep a full pack handy, complete with dried food, 1st aid kit and safety gear. I got tired of having to drain the old water and refill the 20litres of water I kept at the ready too, in case the water supply was the issue.

Maybe I worry too much, but a good scout is always prepared.

Safety in numbers and a weapon(rifle) would be an ideal addition to any civil defence procedure. In a worst case scenario gangs would roam, raping and pillaging I assume.

Scouting ones local landscape well prior to any event, sighting possible holdout spots with wild food options and disaster free locations prior to a catastrophe would be a good idea too, as long as you can assess these locations without alluding to others, or being unable to cross the distance due to failed roading. Usually people will stay put and defend the fort and all their belongings, though in times or civil war and ethnic cleansing this often leads to the death of ones family.

Every man to himself may prevail, even though cooperation amongst friends, holed up in a secure location, would be ideal (safety in numbers).

Just wondering if others have any defence systems in place, just in case our volcanoes wake, a nuclear strike occurs or the gods become unhappy with us and send a meteor.

I believe evidence shows that the earth has had many disasters, that have ended many civilisations, over time itself, suddenly like a thief in the night.

imdying
29th July 2010, 10:34
Just wondering if others have any defence systems in place, just in case our volcanoes wake, a nuclear strike occurs or the gods become unhappy with us and send a meteor.Keeps the burglars out too. (paintballsentry.com)

scissorhands
29th July 2010, 10:46
I understand your point regarding secrecy, and maybe it is best to keep things under your hat.... though ideally I think a group effort will be safer and guarantee success in 'getting through'?

Or considering the fractured nature of todays society, is the self made man the best option?

PirateJafa
29th July 2010, 13:42
My zombie survival plan was formulated many years ago, and has been painstakingly updated to keep it current.

I think I'm safe.

george formby
29th July 2010, 13:47
I keep Rambo under the stairs next to my fishing rods & homebrew. Sorted.:mellow:

Big Dave
29th July 2010, 13:58
Me and Sarge will establish a perimeter. Indy & RM will bring the weapons. Then we party like it's 1699.

scissorhands
29th July 2010, 15:01
I though KB's would love to form a Kiwibiker NZ Militia, just like these Missouri guys:

http://www.missourimilitia.com/FAQ.html

I guess these sort of guys are too paranoid to post on line and give away their position

Swoop
29th July 2010, 15:08
My zombie survival plan was formulated many years ago, I think I'm safe.
You are never safe from the zombies!!
Just look at the beehive for an example of the living dead.

mashman
29th July 2010, 15:14
Trees about 300 metres away and 50 yards up would provide an excellent lookout post for a night scoped sniper rifle... where can I learn to shoot one of these things in Welli :shifty:

imdying
29th July 2010, 15:42
Trees about 300 metres away and 50 yards up would provide an excellent lookout post for a night scoped sniper rifle... where can I learn to shoot one of these things in Welli :shifty:The roof of Back Benchers would be a good start :yes:

scissorhands
29th July 2010, 15:53
I can read the headlines now. 'Operation Lemon nets armed biker militia group'
Defence defence dummies! not attack, bad dog! Oh shit may as well go alone....and dream of the good old days

The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 14, Issue 11 (February 1, 1940)
To Militiamen and Others

Previous Section | Table of Contents | Up | Next Section
To Militiamen and Others.

Active Young Men, having some experience of New Zealand forests, may now confer a benefit upon the Colony, and also ensure a comparatively free and exciting life for themselves, by joining a Corps of Forest Volunteers, now being enrolled in this province to act as the Taranaki Volunteers have acted in striking terror into the marauding natives, by operations not in the power of ordinary troops.

By joining the Corps the routine of Militia life may be got rid of and a body of active and pleasant comrades ensured.

Only men of good character wanted.

For further information apply to the office of the “Daily Southern Cross,” O'Connell Street, Auckland, 31st July, 1863.

“What do you think of it, Sam?” asked Von Tempsky, eagerly. “I'm off; I must have a hand in this. I'll never let a chance of active service slip. Do you think I could enlist a corps here on the diggings, a company of my own? They're at it in Auckland; but there's good stuff here on the diggings.”

Sam's reply was non-committal. But he thought Von could put it to the diggers at any rate. There were many likely young men here, fellows used to roughing it. Most of them had been sailors and bushmen before they took to the diggings life.

“I'll put it to them straight away, Sam, if you can get them together. You know them better than I do. They'll roll up for you.”

scissorhands
6th October 2010, 11:56
Bumpity bump

Thread started JUST BEFORE the ch ch quake:yes: I have magical powers:yes:

for $49.95 I can beam good vibrations in your direction, that will counteract any future earthquakes. Guaranteed.

The Pastor
6th October 2010, 12:23
My zombie plan is perferct. Rifle plus ammo and hit the bush. No zombie will come in there :D plenty of food etc.

Hans
6th October 2010, 12:28
Yes, I have a plan and a group of people with relevant skills. It's just a matter of habit I guess.

Dadpole
6th October 2010, 12:43
My plan is to get the bikes in a circle and drive away intruders with a barrage of obsolete parts.

scissorhands
1st March 2011, 11:21
My plan is to get the bikes in a circle and drive away intruders with a barrage of obsolete parts.

Prediction is the beginning of being prepared, any good boy scout knows that