PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury ADV advice

CrazyFrog
29th July 2010, 17:56
I’m planning a trip into a few of the Canterbury high country road ends soon.

I’m taking my 450 EXC, so challenging bits shouldn’t be too much of a problem, and may well have wifey and the car/trailer combo to eat up the boring road sections, so don’t even start with your distance vs comfort quips about the EXC seat.... or being trailer trash.:whocares:

On my list so far are:
1. Rainbow Road to Hanmer Springs
2. Okuku Pass and Ashley gorge
3. Methven to Lake Heron with Erewhon Station side trip
4. Mesopotamia Station
5. Lake Tekapo, Lilybank Station to McCauley Hut

Are any of these roads NOT worth doing, ie too boring for distance covered? I am aware some of the river crossings are flow dependant so will watch these closely before setting off. Also, are there any other goodies I’ve missed, bearing in mind, I’m only going as far south as Tekapo. Even any side trips off any of the above would be good.
Am planning to stay at a couple of DOC or land owner huts at the stations, just to add to the adventure theme and fun of it all.

Any advice or local knowledge would be good.
Chur in advance boys!

thepom
29th July 2010, 19:09
Somebody with more knowledge will be along probably after their meal but you can always look up Ryans adv site.....just tried to put a link up but it can,t find the site....

cooneyr
29th July 2010, 21:30
My website is temporally without a home so isn't available. All the files are over here (http://cid-6379f16a64cde0f6.office.live.com/browse.aspx/AdvRoutes%20GPS%20files?uc=6&lc=5129) they are just a bit harder to access.

Froggy - Seems you are generally running along the hills. The other routes that spring to mind are

Lake Sumner (think you've been there already),
Harper Rd up the side of Lake Coleridge (could also do the Lindon Rd from Porters Pass over to Lake Coleridge) Fast gravel Rd with good scenery but no technical.
up the true right of the Rakaia River (Double Hill Run Rd) and then around the back out Mt Hutt to come out to Lake Heron then onto Erewhon etc (send me a PM for contact details of landowners). Little bit technical between Rakaia and and Lake Heron and good gravel up Double Hill Rd Rd.
From Lillybank up the Goodley to Red Stag Hut and beyond (more of the Macauly type riding.

MattDakar organised a ride on Private land up the Orari River back out to Fairlie. Maybe PM him.

Cheers R

mattsdakar
30th July 2010, 00:29
MattDakar organised a ride on Private land up the Orari River back out to Fairlie. Maybe PM him.

Cheers R[/QUOTE]

Hey Froggy,
Orari Gorge is well worth a look, you need key access from Orari Gorge station however there are some gnarly parts (ask Kenny!) and is about a 2hour trip thru so may not be advisable to do on your lonesome (nil reference to KTM reliability) haha
Rgds Matt

thepom
30th July 2010, 06:31
Its true about the technical but I had road gearing on the bike plus I can,t ride for poo! :shit:

CrazyFrog
31st July 2010, 16:12
Cheers for the extra info there boys, all good.
I've been looking at adding on the Lake Coleridge section, up Double hill Run Rd to Glenfalloch station, and thru the back to Lake Heron, looks like awesome country.

Ryan, will PM you, thanks.:2thumbsup

badblackbuell
1st August 2010, 10:55
Lees Valley/Okuku Pass rocks! Heaps of fast sections and some offroad challenges if you wish.
Just mind the river when it's up!