PDA

View Full Version : Auckland: Bike only Open Day at Puke

SpankMe
22nd November 2003, 16:05
<center><span style="letter-spacing: 5">Friday 16<sup>th</sup> January 2003</span> </center>
According to the Controlled Testing Dates timetable (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?threadid=61) for Pukekohe racetrack, they are going to do a bikes only Open Day. They have done cage only open days before, but this is the first bikes only open day I've seen. If you find Track Time too crowded, controlled and expensive, this is a good opportunity to get your bike out on the track.

SpankMe
22nd November 2003, 16:43
Also the people who run the Open Days at Puke are not too concerned about what riding gear you wear. Although I would not recommend riding without full leathers, you can get on the track if you don't have any.

Coldkiwi
22nd November 2003, 19:37
i'd go further and say that riding in anything less than leathers is asking for trouble, especially on a circuit as fast as pukekohe.. if you do bin it, you'll probably be going a decent speed.

Bikes only day is too good to miss! I'll definitely be there

Kwaka-Kid
23rd November 2003, 04:56
sweet, will b there :)

Motoracer
23rd November 2003, 09:54
Why is it on a friday...? :(

Hoon
23rd November 2003, 11:41
Because during the Summer months almost every Satruday is booked out for a race meet.

Coldkiwi
24th November 2003, 15:00
Someone oughta check that is still on because they might decide its not worth running without the numbers. We should tell them a decent bunch will decide to pitch up and not too change their mind at the last minute

SpankMe
27th December 2003, 14:38
Was at Pukekohe today to confirm that the bike only open day was still on. They said that they are gonna do cars as well since last time they did a bike only day only two bikes turned up, but they are still advertising it as a bike only day.

I told them Kiwi Biker is organizing to get more bikes there on the day, so let’s try and get lots of bikers there on the 16<SUP>th</SUP>. Then maybe we can expect more biker only days at Puke.

Nouseforaname
27th December 2003, 15:15
Hey Spankme.. im guessing that was your bike in mission bay yesterday? i was parked up next to you and when i went to leave i found a nice KB business card on my bike :D bloody good idea that is.... get more people to the site :2thumbsup

Kwaka-Kid
27th December 2003, 15:57
i saw spankmes bike going up queen st yesterday! :D and only 1 problem, BIG DAY OUT is on 16th january right? i gotta ticket and all... :S

bikerboy
27th December 2003, 16:47
KK going to the BIG GAY OUT, what have i missed at that last KB bbq? :whistle:

SpankMe
27th December 2003, 18:22
While I was there I was told that the Puke track is for sale for $2million. Well if I win power ball tonight, I'll buy it for Kiwi Biker. :D

Butt apparently the horsey people are going to buy it because track events make more money than horsey events and they want the extra dosh it makes to support their part of Puke. According to the people who run the Puke track, this will be a good thing for the track.

curious george
27th December 2003, 20:49
At the recent open day, I was told the bike open day was off. There is racing in Mansfield, so we dont need the setup day.
Best check o see at a later stage, but we can still ride :yes:

Racey Rider
29th December 2003, 09:07
Was at Pukekohe today to confirm that the bike only open day was still on. They said that they are gonna do cars as well since last time they did a bike only day only two bikes turned up, but they are still advertising it as a bike only day.

False advertising! We should demaned half price entree if they do that to us!
But I guess we're in no position to rock the boat and create bad feeling.

Motoracer
29th December 2003, 21:03
That does it :angry2:, cars and bikes on a "bikes only" track day. Its on at the same time as When Metalica will be playing. How many people are going to this "bike only" track day on the 16th anyway? Shall we go the next day on the 17th? There is a normal practice day on that day for the usual $80. What do you say guys? Who is with me? :Punk:

SpankMe
29th December 2003, 21:14
Well if we get enough bikes turning up, maybe he'll tell the cars to piss off, if any turn up as far as they are concerned it is still only a bike open day.

Coldkiwi
29th December 2003, 22:06
I'm definitely in. I'll go in to work next friday to start my catch up on workload so IO can have the 16th off. Better order my crash bungs huh?

Racey Rider
12th January 2004, 21:13
So that my wheels WILL be in motion!
I'm planning on being there on the 16th. Is it $80 for the bikes only day?
9:30 start? till 4:30? or my first Crash, which ever comes first! :doctor:

Motoracer
12th January 2004, 22:09
So that my wheels WILL be in motion!
I'm planning on being there on the 16th. Is it $80 for the bikes only day?
9:30 start? till 4:30? or my first Crash, which ever comes first! :doctor:

Isn't there a rule at Pukie that states no engines can start prior to 10:30 or something? I may be wrong here... I am sure about the money being $ 80.00 though.

Hoon
13th January 2004, 09:20
Yep doesn't start til 10:30am. You can get there early and set up, just the track doesn't open until 10:30.

Hopefully I'll be there. My engine is in a million bits and pieces and I'm waiting on some parts from Japan which will hopefully turn up soon so I can get it back together in time to overtake some 400's on the back straight :)

Coldkiwi
13th January 2004, 11:21
Gee, i'm gonna be knackered on Friday night. I've just signed myself up for the Life FM great race which is Friday arvo. My schedule now looks like
10am- turn up o Puke
10:30-3pm:- GIve the gixxer death round the track and not crash!
3pm-4: rocket back to the city
4pm: leave the Life FM studios to barrel off down to Mystery Creek (some odd places to visit thrown in) in an attempt to get there before a whole bunch of lemmings doing the same but stuck in cars! (for once, heavy traffic will rock my world!)
5:30ish - chill out and unwind in Hamilhole with a very well earned coffee as I peruse my new hard-earned 10 CD collection and 2 free tickets to Parachute next weekend!

6pm- try and see if I can find any more grotesquely one-sided sure-thing competitions to enter!

SWEEEEET!

Motoracer
13th January 2004, 11:56
I'm waiting on some parts from Japan which will hopefully turn up soon so I can get it back together in time to overtake some 400's on the back straight :)

Oh shit :shit: Now I am scared :confused2

Kwaka-Kid
13th January 2004, 23:12
Oh yes motoracer.. You, I, and all other KB F3 racers ought to be scared... all the best and hope its a good rebuild Hoon, i could do with you keeping up on the straights to teach me even more around the bends! :)

Firefight
15th January 2004, 10:20
Just another reminder of the extensive road works on Burtt Rd, (back way Drury to Pukekohe), also Yesterday new seal & chip laid on most of main road from top of Bombays, down into Pukekohe.

Good detour, Drury, Old Gsr to Runciman Rd, Tuimata rd, Capehill Rd .

Take care folks :wavey:

Firefight :cool:

Coldkiwi
15th January 2004, 16:22
its bound to be hot, humid and rain a bit too. I've got heavy one piece leather suit with not enough vents and a back protector that will roast me even more but I Can't WAIT for tomorrow!!!

If anyone has a digi camera can you PLEASE bring it with you so we get lots of shots?

cheers

Motoracer
15th January 2004, 16:27
Not looking forward to the rain bit at all with the slicks on but see you all there tomorrow :2thumbsup

Coldkiwi
15th January 2004, 16:39
don't worry. In this heat and humidity, the roads (and everything) are drying really really fast. it won't slow us down for long

Hoon
15th January 2004, 17:34
I won't make it as my parts haven't arrived yet :(

SpankMe
16th January 2004, 14:53
Some cut down images from the day. All the full size ones can be viewed in the gallery.

Motoracer
16th January 2004, 18:40
Thanx for the pics man. Was good to see everyone + new faces. Had 3 good runs then I was hit by food poisioning out of no where. Could hardly even walk so I had a lie down till 4 and then I drove off home. All in all a good day except for me being sick and possibly getting speeding ticket when I was on my way there in the morning with the van. :crazy:

Good lucky for the weekend Racey :niceone:

Redstar
17th January 2004, 18:42
I went today to puke it was actually a good day out only three riders and three like me watchers but next time I think the $80 is going to part wallet.
I need new tyres anyway. roadworks were no an issue and had a few good blats on the southern motorway on the way home. Its was a really choice day :banana:

KATWYN
17th January 2004, 19:10
I went today to puke it was actually a good day out only three riders and three like me watchers but next time I think the $80 is going to part wallet.
I need new tyres anyway. roadworks were no an issue and had a few good blats on the southern motorway on the way home. Its was a really choice day :banana:

I rode on the track a couple of years ago, and found those side cars zooming
around at the same time really scary...theres not a lot of track or "places to go" when they are zooming around.

I have to admit, riding the track was an awesome experience. Hair raising
being in with the fast guys when you are only a learner. Totally freaking out
that I would do something stupid (inexperience) that would put another
rider at risk. But cornering on the road just after that one time gave me a heap more confidence...then

MikeL
17th January 2004, 20:27
Only three bikes??? Probably won't get another bike only day then... :disapint:

I was sooooo tempted to go, but decided that I would be better losing my track virginity (so to speak) in the more controlled environment of a Track Time, so I've registered for 1 Feb. If I'd known that there were only going to be 3 bikes yesterday I would have gone anyway. With only 3 other riders to look out for it would have been relatively easy. On 1 Feb there will no doubt be 30 or 40 other novices of varying degrees of incompetence.
Anyway, I've already started practising for the track: went to Raglan again today via SH22. Only the melting tar prevented me notching up a record time from Ngaruawahia to Tuakau.
:p

XRNR
18th January 2004, 21:18
Had 3 good runs then I was hit by food poisioning
Shouldn't it be,
I was hit by food poisioning then Had 3 good runs :msn-wink:

Motoracer
19th January 2004, 10:30
Oh, I had a lot more than 3... (sorry for the too much info). Glad its all over for sure. :doctor:

Coldkiwi
19th January 2004, 11:31
3 bikes?? eh?? at the start of the day there were at least 6 of us and it swelled to around 8 I think before some people...err.. ran off.... and then at the end there were 3 of us left.
going out with the sidecars would be quite terrifying I'm sure!

Motoracer
19th January 2004, 12:18
3 bikes?? eh?? at the start of the day there were at least 6 of us and it swelled to around 8 I think before some people...err.. ran off.... and then at the end there were 3 of us left.
going out with the sidecars would be quite terrifying I'm sure!

Redstar was talking about the saturday openday on the 17th of Jan '04. We went on Friday the 16th Jan '04. Its not often that I get to correct you CK. :D

Redstar
19th January 2004, 20:41
:hug: it was Satuday true and there were two formula 5000 a porche a v8 commadore 20 Alafas and twenty or so sliders Koreans mainly.
Bikes were on their own. 20min bashes and the best lap 1min 10 gsxr 750
I think this should be a meet next time.
I was suprised at how good a day it can be. :)

Racey Rider
19th January 2004, 21:43
Well, I got there! First time out on Pukekohe Track. And I must say, I enjoyed the track!
I know some of you think it's boring, But I enjoyed my one day run around it. Perhaps that is because there were no real tricky bits that I couldn't master (Don't laugh Spank!), in a short time. Maybe that's why some think it's boring, 'cause there are no tricky bits. The only other track I've riden is Manfield, and after 4 track days there, I still find it has bits I find tricky.

The sign up/payment side of the Puke day seemed a bit lax. Seemed I could have just turned up and got out on the track without paying or signing anything. (O,,, Only out of towners pay!) Must have looked too much like a Non-Aucklander when I walked into the office cash in hand!

And so much for Bikes Only!!
Come all the way from New Plymouth for a bikes only day, only to be told "They", (whoever "They" were),,, had decided to allow cars as well. Certainly the lady taking my money wasn't admitting it was her decision!

Had a small hick-up when my chain link came off! (Didn't I just ask you guys how to lock wire a chain link?!). Luckily, it happened right before pit lane entrance, and it didn't jam up the back wheel, so just coasted into pit lane.
Thanks to the guys who helped push the bike and carry the chain. So missed a few sessions while waiting for my ride into town to get spare links. (Yes I should have had some, I know).

Last run of the day, and had my wife there to get that important, end of the day - lap time. After 4 or 5 laps my muffler decided to come loose, which put an end to that. Best lap time -- 1m ... something a rather!? Let's just say ... room for improvement.

Still, had a good day. No crashes, just one foray onto the grass after Jennian corner. Keeped it upright this time!

That night, I was suppost to be heading towards Taupo for Sundays races, but had a number of plans not fall into place so missed it. Wasn't too worried as the KR still doesn't feel like it's running as sweetly as it should. Maybe next time.
See ya all out there!
Racey. :cool:

Coldkiwi
19th January 2004, 21:58
boring? getting your knee scraping on a curb through a blind corner at 180kph is boring to some people!? braking from 250kph for a hairpin 120m away doesn't excite them? It sure gave me thrills!
man, and my friends think I'm nuts doing that sort of speed down the back straight (I'll admit, thats the least exciting part but is still a rush)

and motoracer, you're right, normally someone else corrects me first! :)

wkid_one
20th January 2004, 07:46
I question this tho - it isn't a blind corner if you know what is around it?

Also - getting your knee down on the track is expected......I will still say the track days are boring....and a waste of your tyres......

Racing - well that would be different as there is the human element......track days - meh, once you have ridden the track day once- that is enough

duckman
20th January 2004, 08:05
Er ... Not wanting to sound pedantic Wikd but it's called a blind corner because you can't SEE around it. It really doesn't matter if you think you know what to expect when you get around the corner cause there could be a rider down, a flock of seagulls or the Frickin Pope blessing the track :innocent:

Racey Rider
20th January 2004, 11:35
boring? getting your knee scraping on a curb through a blind corner at 180kph is boring to some people!? braking from 250kph for a hairpin 120m away doesn't excite them? It sure gave me thrills!
man, and my friends think I'm nuts doing that sort of speed down the back straight (I'll admit, thats the least exciting part but is still a rush)

Quite right. Any track is only as Tricky, or boring as the speed you attack it!

Hoon
20th January 2004, 13:35
I've probably done about 15-20 track days at Puke in the last year and although I do admit it can be a boring track, there is always something I can work on. Each time I go I usually target 2 or 3 turns and measure my progress by my exit RPM (I often scream/cheer wildly to myself in my helmet when I beat my turn best RPM).

I'll keep raising the bar until my bike starts getting funky then I'll move onto another turn.

If I aint sliding mid-turn or already at full throttle then there is room for improvement.

Coldkiwi
20th January 2004, 16:47
i think the human element remains at a track day. Thats sorta what keeps me from wrenching the throttle to the stop when exiting the hairpin. I don't want my human elements to leave the ground!!
Wkid, if tracks days bore you, get an R1 again and try and punt it round any track and see where that leaves you. If you're thinking about tracks boring you because you did them on the VTR I reckon you'd get a pleasent surprise with a way sharper bike.