PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite homemade culinary masterpiece?

Insanity_rules
30th July 2010, 23:46
Mrs Insanity god love her is jobless at the moment so is spending a bit more time at home. I dragged my sorry work weary backside through the door tonight and what do I find on the table to greet me? Try Bolognese shepherds pie topped with 3 kinds of cheese! Words cannot describe how good it was, I almost wept! I now have a new favourite meal.

Talk about brownie points, I might just have to start closing the toilet door or give up dutch ovens or even heaven forbid think twice about bearing my buttocks at parties.

So what is your favourite home made meal?

SMOKEU
31st July 2010, 00:09
Can't go wrong with a few dots rolled up next to the stove, and cook them on some knives...

Gremlin
31st July 2010, 03:20
hmmm hard to think of one favourite...

shepherds pie is good, lasagne, spaghetti, mmm most kinds of meat probably. Some would understand the word bobotie, thats always a treat.

Then you got the desserts, tipsy tart, fridge tart, trifle, cheesecakes, carrot cake, chocolate cake (plus mud cakes of course)

Did I mention I have a sweet tooth :innocent:

Urano
31st July 2010, 06:14
Gnocchi tirolesi con pancetta e fontina...
:laugh: :laugh:
;)

Maha
31st July 2010, 16:14
Explain Bolognese Shepherds Pie?
I remember Shepherds Pie from my younger days, very yum and it was a cheap family meal.

Where as, Spag Bol on its own to me is a cop-out of a meal, I know people rav about but it is at best, a student get by.

My favourite Home meal would have to be....
Lamb roast followed by Pavlova...:Punk:

george formby
31st July 2010, 16:21
I remember Shepherds from my younger days, very yum and it was a cheap family meal.

Where as, Spag Bol on its own to me is a cop-out of a meal, I know people rav about but it is at best, a student get by.

My favourite Home meal would have to be....
Lamb roast followed by Pavlova...:Punk:

Mmmmm, roast lamb for tea. Best I ever tasted were fattened on my front lawn. I was starvin by the time i caught one.
I beg to differ on your opinion of spag bol, it sits squarely in the upper echelons of fame in our house.
Pork, beef & veal mince, roast capsicum, red onion, garlic, thyme, sage, red wine (lots) & tomates cooked for at least 4 hours. Lots of butter, parmesan, parsley & fresh basil tossed through the pasta. We have it on fat bastards night.:yes:

slofox
31st July 2010, 16:24
Coq au Vin...cooked by me. Served with creamed potatoes containing finely chopped onion and greens of your choice. :love:

Maha
31st July 2010, 16:31
Mmmmm, roast lamb for tea. Best I ever tasted were fattened on my front lawn. I was starvin by the time i caught one.
I beg to differ on your opinion of spag bol, it sits squarely in the upper echelons of fame in our house.
Pork, beef & veal mince, roast capsicum, red onion, garlic, thyme, sage, red wine (lots) & tomates cooked for at least 4 hours. Lots of butter, parmesan, parsley & fresh basil tossed through the pasta. We have it on fat bastards night.:yes:

Now that sounds way better than the what I have ever been served up.
Its normaly cooked in about 30 mins and is just mince/onion/tomato paste and cold saghetti things underneath...that really is crap food.
Those that serve it up think they have made some exotic culinary delight.
Bolognese is a region in Italy and they eat spaghetti there, you might as well call it Spaghetti Reefton and be done with it.

So George, it is now up to you to convince me otherwise about this crap dish.
Your way sounds very ok....:yes:

george formby
31st July 2010, 16:38
Its normaly cooked in about 30 mins and is just mince/onion/tomato paste and cold saghetti things underneath...that really is crap food.
Bolognese is a region in Italy and they eat spaghetti there, you might as well call it Spaghetti Reefton and be done with it.

Your way sound very ok....:yes:

Next time i make it I will freeze some for you. You can pick it up if your in my neck of the woods.
If you really want a knock out taste it has to be Pork belly cooked low & slow over Ti tree in a proper (no gas) bbq, occasionally brushed with a bit of OJ, brown sugar & sesame oil for the cracklin. I need a smiley for droolin. My preferred brand of BBQ is an Elf oil drum....

pritch
31st July 2010, 16:39
I recently bought a tajine. The results are getting better. I hope to preserve some lemons this season which will be a leap forward in authenticity. I'm not a slave to Moroccan recipes but I have been trying to cook things that are similar to what Moroccans might do.

It hasn't been used for three weeks; maybe Tuesday?

pc220
31st July 2010, 16:41
pies pies pies ...............pies.:done:

mashman
31st July 2010, 16:44
Next time i make it I will freeze some for you. You can pick it up if your in my neck of the woods.
If you really want a knock out taste it has to be Pork belly cooked low & slow over Ti tree in a proper (no gas) bbq, occasionally brushed with a bit of OJ, brown sugar & sesame oil for the cracklin. I need a smiley for droolin. My preferred brand of BBQ is an Elf oil drum....

oh good god i just had a big boys accident :)... got to be a pork roast for me, mash, roasters, yorky's, pork, gravy, then cracklin whilst trying not to pass out on the couch :)

george formby
31st July 2010, 16:51
oh good god i just had a big boys accident :)... got to be a pork roast for me, mash, roasters, yorky's, pork, gravy, then cracklin whilst trying not to pass out on the couch :)

Oh, you have fat bastards nights too? Theirs never enough skin on a pig in my opinion, should breed them with a layer on the inside too.

Mom
31st July 2010, 16:58
Oh, you have fat bastards nights too? Theirs never enough skin on a pig in my opinion, should breed them with a layer on the inside too.

I hate the way good pork is wrecked by being bred too lean, give me the locally grown stuff every time. Pork crackling :drool:

Usarka
31st July 2010, 17:00
The best thinking coooking up in the kitchen is the missus.

slofox
31st July 2010, 17:07
The best thinking coooking up in the kitchen is the missus.

Not round my house it's not...:angry:

Mom
31st July 2010, 18:07

I have never cooked "Spag is like cold worms Maha" Spag Bol for obvious reasons. That my dear is a challenge worthy of him :yes:

Tonight we are having chicken breasts, hammered and stuffed with wilted spinach, ricotta and ham, wrapped in streaky bacon, accompanied by roasted herb and garlic butterflied spuds, and a few sweet roasted shallots on the side :drool: This may well become a #1 fav in this house.

You guys should come on in here and play, guaranteed drool fest indeedy :yes:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/group.php?groupid=92

Fatt Max
31st July 2010, 18:44
Coq au Vin...cooked by me. Served with creamed potatoes containing finely chopped onion and greens of your choice. :love:

Tried cooking that one night. Misread the 'coq' bit and used the wrong ingredient. My portion had a vein in it and everyone else complained about the hairs......

Never mind, it's the thought that counts, isnt it???

Fatt Max
31st July 2010, 18:52
Tonight we are having chicken breasts, hammered and stuffed with wilted spinach, ricotta and ham, wrapped in streaky bacon, accompanied by roasted herb and garlic butterflied spuds, and a few sweet roasted shallots on the side :drool: This may well become a #1 fav in this house.[/url]

I'm off for a cold shower...........ooohhhhh

spacemonkey
31st July 2010, 18:56
Gnocchi tirolesi con pancetta e fontina...
:laugh: :laugh:
;)

Potatoe/bacon/cheese!! how can that combination not be good!!!! :love:
Recipe?

spacemonkey
31st July 2010, 19:02
My fave to cook and eat at the mo is smoked salmon lasagne closely followed by Zucchini and Riccota canneloni. :love:

Rogue Rider
31st July 2010, 19:07
My Favourite meal, if I had to have a last meal, this would be it also. Before anyone asks, this is a regular for me and my mates, and yes all in one giant banquet.

1. Premium Scotch fillet' steak, latheres in freshly chopped chilly, Moroccan, Cajun, and piri piri seasonings left in fridge over night, at least 24hrs pre cooking.
2. Borry sausages, fresh from the safa shop or butcher, authentic flavours and style.
3. Spicy boneless chilli chicken breasts, lathered in secret sauces from the prient, (or chef Scuds fridge)
4. Jamaican spicy Jerk Chicken

Vege's...... well, don't really indulge in vege's that often, but chilli's, peppers, zuchini and other barbequeable vege's.

Everything prepared on the BBQ, seared and cooked to perfection, succulent and jucy melt in the mouth food, slapped with bread and a beer or three to lubricate the tonsils on the way down.
The boys happy, the bitches vacant, and the bikes profiled under light in the garage as we engage in man time in the mancave.:Punk:
:scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::scoo ter::scooter::yes:

Urano
1st August 2010, 08:48
guys, i've got to tell you. Spaghetti alla bolognese as you think at it doesn't exist.
Bologna is the major city near Modena, 30 km from here: land of people who don't know how to make tortellini (they put mortadella in it: sacrilege!! :D ), people who stole our bucket in 1600 (but we won the war and we got it back :laugh:), city with the longest portico (ehm... "portico"? my mac's dictionary says that you'll understand what i'm talking about... :) ) of the world, city of the oldest university of the world, and city of some good plates...
first of all, is not "spaghetti", but is "tagliatelle". spaghetti is a thin, long, round pasta. Tagliatelle is a large, long, flat pasta. COMPLETELY different.
secondly spaghetti is a dry hard wheat pasta, tagliatelle is an egg, fresh pasta.

then the sauce.
i believe that when you think at spag bol you think at lady and the tramp's meat balls in the middle of a spaghetti plate.
we actually put a "loose" tomato, meat and onion sauce ("ragł") on the tagliatelle...

so, this is what you look at:
http://www.juvela.co.uk/recipes/images/spaghetti_meatballs.jpg

and this is what we eat:
http://bragwebdesign.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/image/ragł-bolognese.jpg

Tonight we are having chicken breasts, hammered and stuffed with wilted spinach, ricotta and ham, wrapped in streaky bacon, accompanied by roasted herb and garlic butterflied spuds, and a few sweet roasted shallots on the side

MMMHHHH...
sounds yummy... :D
:niceone:

Potatoe/bacon/cheese!! how can that combination not be good!!!! :love:
Recipe?

:) my fault, i've misled you... the italian name "gnocchi" indicate a potato type pasta, but gnocchetti tirolesi is a colloquial name for tyrolean "spaetzle", which is a wheat bold pasta.
i buy good spinach spaetzle in a shop, hand made: i've actually never tried to make it at home... :|
let's say 500 g of spaetzle: you have to put it in a large pan (don't use a boiling pot) and then add enough water to just cover it. fire on, wait until the water is completely gone, then add a little more to keep it soft. add a 30 g of butter then 50-60 g of bacon (or, even better, speck) you had roasted with another little pan in the meanwhile.
immediately add 50 g of fontina cheese cut in small blocks: mix gently everything letting the cheese just melt, and serve well hot.
you can also eat directly from the pan. red wine. :niceone:
pay attention not to overcook the pasta: it has to be firm but not raw, it can be a bit soft but absolutely not crushed...

next time: bucatini cacio e pepe... :D

rie
1st August 2010, 09:37
the barbeque.

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b402/nkim026/bbq.jpg

rie
1st August 2010, 09:48
But my biggest culinary achievement would have to be the turducken (turkey stuffed with duck stuffed with chicken) with three-meat stuffing between each layer of bird.

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b402/nkim026/turducken.jpg
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b402/nkim026/turducken2.jpg

Insanity_rules
1st August 2010, 12:27

Shepherds pie made with a bolognese meat sauce rather than just meat. The culinary discovery of the centuary.

Your way sounds very ok....:yes:

Most Italian regions have some kind of food speciality named after them and usually containing what is most abundant in that area. In our house Italian food is created with respect from scratch as it should be. Anglo instant representations are a bit of an insult to us.

Oh and Urano. Buon incontrare un altro italiano qui. Perdoni prego il mio italiano difettoso ma siamo uscito in Nuova Zelanda quando ero molto giovane.

Owl
1st August 2010, 12:56
Mine I guess would have to be "Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup", though I tend to get carried away and make about 10 or more litres. Great on a cold winter night.:yes:

JATZ
1st August 2010, 13:47
Can't go wrong with a few dots rolled up next to the stove, and cook them on some knives...

:killingme:killingme:doobey::blip: