PDA

View Full Version : Biker dead, Moorehouse Ave

SMOKEU
31st July 2010, 21:48
I just heard that a biker died by hitting a pole down Moorehouse Ave, Christchurch tonight. Does anyone else know any more?

RIP fellow biker.

Lurch
31st July 2010, 21:53
Thats shit news, another life lost.

But anyone who hits a pole on one of the straightest pieces of city road (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Moorhouse+Ave,+Christchurch+8011,+Canterbury&sll=-41.244772,172.617188&sspn=32.610708,61.083984&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FYmiZ_0dsDFKCg&split=0&hq=&hnear=Moorhouse+Ave,+Christchurch+8011,+Canterbury&ll=-43.536416,172.63504&spn=0.0308,0.059652&z=14&iwloc=A) in NZ is not a biker in my books.

SMOKEU
31st July 2010, 21:55

But anyone who hits a pole on one of the straightest pieces of city road (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Moorhouse+Ave,+Christchurch+8011,+Canterbury&sll=-41.244772,172.617188&sspn=32.610708,61.083984&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FYmiZ_0dsDFKCg&split=0&hq=&hnear=Moorhouse+Ave,+Christchurch+8011,+Canterbury&ll=-43.536416,172.63504&spn=0.0308,0.059652&z=14&iwloc=A) in NZ is not a biker in my books.

Especially seeing that it's a 50kmh zone.

Lurch
31st July 2010, 21:57
Exactly, although people have died from immovable object collisions at slower speeds. I can recall some dude giving himself fatal head injuries from falling off a stationary motorcycle.

TOTO
31st July 2010, 21:57

not even if he was swerving to avoid a kid ? you should think more

FJRider
31st July 2010, 22:03

But anyone who hits a pole on one of the straightest pieces of city road in NZ is not a biker in my books.

For a straight road ... it has a lot of corners to enter/leave it ....

Lurch
31st July 2010, 22:05
For a straight road ... it has a lot of corners to enter/leave it ....

I blame the defensive driving training for not teaching him to brake before entering the corner.

owner
31st July 2010, 22:11
I blame the defensive driving training for not teaching him to brake before entering the corner.

I hope you do blame them if one of your kids/parents get collected on a urban street

What a dick

Could happen to any of us any time

Thaeos
31st July 2010, 22:15
This thread should burn.

FJRider
31st July 2010, 22:18
Especially seeing that it's a 50kmh zone.

My speedo must be out ... every time I am doing 50 km/hr along that street ... I get left behind the traffic ... :blink:

SMOKEU
31st July 2010, 22:23
This thread should burn.

Do your worst.

Thaeos
31st July 2010, 22:37
Do your worst.

:yes:

dmc
31st July 2010, 22:38
I watched him do it, totally self inflicted.

After watching him ride through a red light at Durham at speed, he then did a loop and coming off the Waltham overpass accelerated up the cycle lane the wrong way up Moorhouse straight into the lights, draw your on conclusions to what was going on in his head.

SMOKEU
31st July 2010, 22:43

After watching him ride through a red light at Durham at speed, he then did a loop and coming off the Waltham overpass accelerated up the cycle lane the wrong way up Moorhouse straight into the lights, draw your on conclusions to what was going on in his head.

I didn't want to speculate about the tragic set of circumstances surrounding this event, but thanks for clearing it up. :drinknsin

Hitcher
31st July 2010, 22:54
Members are strongly urged to read the site's rules on biker down threads. These can be found in the Site Stuff forum as a sticky.

Any nonsense, senseless speculation, ghoulish behaviour and other disrespect will be dealt with harshly by Moderators. This includes any commentary by alleged eye-witnesses.

Consider this to be a general warning.

Lurch
31st July 2010, 22:58

Oh I was wrong then, he really was a biker.

dmc
31st July 2010, 23:24
Members are strongly urged to read the site's rules on biker down threads. These can be found in the Site Stuff forum as a sticky.

Any nonsense, senseless speculation, ghoulish behaviour and other disrespect will be dealt with harshly by Moderators. This includes any commentary by alleged eye-witnesses.

Consider this to be a general warning.

I don't like seeing rubbish about riders accidents and in this case as I did see it I thought it would be better to stop the thread from breaking down into mindless speculation by saying what really happened.

Having read the sticky around riders down and I know it is an emotional subject but if you read my reply I made no comment about rider or bike that would give any info to whom they were.

I do however think moving these things to rant or rave and warning people does not help the matter as I believe people should know what happened in cases like this as it does serious damage to the reputation of all riders and in turn should be discussed within reason.

SMOKEU
31st July 2010, 23:28
I don't like seeing rubbish about riders accidents and in this case as I did see it I thought it would be better to stop the thread from breaking down into mindless speculation by saying what really happened.

Having read the sticky around riders down and I know it is an emotional subject but if you read my reply I made no comment about rider or bike that would give any info to whom they were.

I do however think moving these things to rant or rave and warning people does not help the matter as I believe people should know what happened in cases like this as it does serious damage to the reputation of all riders and in turn should be discussed within reason.

I really don't know what your problem is sir. No names were mentioned, and no number plates were mentioned. The type of bike wasn't even mentioned. You would have to be an ignorant fool if you think the media will not speculate about events like this, so if you have a problem, then contact the newspapers etc if this goes to print.

Hitcher
31st July 2010, 23:39

I agree that "discussion within reason" is appropriate, and the site rules make that consideration clear as well. The reason for the rules, and for my earlier warning, is that Kiwi Biker members have a proud history of posting mind-numbingly stupid, insensitive and disrespectful comments in Biker Down threads.

My warning wasn't targeted at any particularly person or comment. It was intended to serve as a reminder of the site's rules and to act as a general warning.

JMemonic
31st July 2010, 23:49
I really don't know what your problem is sir. No names were mentioned, and no number plates were mentioned. The type of bike wasn't even mentioned. You would have to be an ignorant fool if you think the media will not speculate about events like this, so if you have a problem, then contact the newspapers etc if this goes to print.

You really didn't read the post and what it was in comment/reply to did you.

dmc
31st July 2010, 23:55
I agree that "discussion within reason" is appropriate, and the site rules make that consideration clear as well. The reason for the rules, and for my earlier warning, is that Kiwi Biker members have a proud history of posting mind-numbingly stupid, insensitive and disrespectful comments in Biker Down threads.

My warning wasn't targeted at any particularly person or comment. It was intended to serve as a reminder of the site's rules and to act as a general warning.

Totally agree in the fact mindless comments have no place here and even tho I'm not a fan of rider down threads I believe the information surrounding this accident should be discussed.
You will know being a mod on here that some people will call him an idiot and others will defend him but those posts that break the rules can be removed without killing a thread, his actions will be shown in such a bad light by the media it is only fair that the members on KB should know the facts as it reflects on all of us, moving things like this to where people won't see it does no rider any good.

SMOKEU
31st July 2010, 23:59
You really didn't read the post and what it was in comment/reply to did you.

I have taken your comments into careful consideration.

willytheekid
1st August 2010, 00:22
http://www.infonews.co.nz/news.cfm?id=55558

.....Ride Safe everyone

Berries
1st August 2010, 00:22
My warning wasn't targeted at any particularly person or comment.
Lo and behold. A typo.

Antonio
1st August 2010, 01:06

Wait till you get to your 70s then decide. Don't judge when you know nothing about what happend.

YellowDog
1st August 2010, 06:30
Wait till you get to your 70s then decide. Don't judge when you know nothing about what happend.

Yep, we just don't know.

Personally I don't ride if I am troubled or upset about something.

SMOKEU
1st August 2010, 10:36
Personally I don't ride if I am troubled or upset about something.

I often do (on the rare occasions that I can afford petrol for the bike) as it's a great way to clear my head.

one fast tl1ooo
1st August 2010, 10:51
This is sad to hear.. what ever has happen, Someone is dead. RIP

Muppet
1st August 2010, 11:53
Chap on a cbr600 crashed at intersection of Moorhouse and Madras last night and died.

SMOKEU
1st August 2010, 11:59
Chap on a cbr600 crashed at intersection of Moorhouse and Madras last night and died.

I heard all about it on my scanner last night. I've started a thread about it which is in the rant and rave forum.

Katman
1st August 2010, 12:14
Kiwi Biker members have a proud history of posting mind-numbingly stupid, insensitive and disrespectful comments in Biker Down threads.

:shutup:<hgvhgvhjv>

Owl
1st August 2010, 12:26

Yeah, but how long can you stay like that?:msn-wink:

Rogue Rider
1st August 2010, 18:54
Well, needless to say, all forums everywhere a full of personal opinions, attitudes and fundamental beliefs.
Mix any pot of different people and you are bound to get some interesting colours, mud and goop.
It doesn't really matter to me what anyone says or believes, what I like is the honesty of people expressing themselves the way they feel they can and should.
Yes there are rules governed by legal avenues to protect the site and its owners from reprise, but please, don't be shy to share random dumass opinions, just don't mention names, dates times and exacts.
Legally you can get around these by stating at approximately.... use false names like Kermy, or dingis, and places like Cocksborough...
Freedom of speech is simply that, or is it? What is PC doing to this nation, turning it to the crappa I reckon.:bye::bye::bye::bye::bye::bye::bye::bye::by e:

Hitcher
1st August 2010, 19:11
Freedom of speech or freedom of smilies?

SMOKEU
1st August 2010, 19:50
Well, needless to say, all forums everywhere a full of personal opinions, attitudes and fundamental beliefs.
Mix any pot of different people and you are bound to get some interesting colours, mud and goop.
It doesn't really matter to me what anyone says or believes, what I like is the honesty of people expressing themselves the way they feel they can and should.
Yes there are rules governed by legal avenues to protect the site and its owners from reprise, but please, don't be shy to share random dumass opinions, just don't mention names, dates times and exacts.
Legally you can get around these by stating at approximately.... use false names like Kermy, or dingis, and places like Cocksborough...
Freedom of speech is simply that, or is it? What is PC doing to this nation, turning it to the crappa I reckon.:bye::bye::bye::bye::bye::bye::bye::bye::by e:

So you're saying that I don't have the right to state the facts, but the media does?

AD345
1st August 2010, 19:59
So you're saying that I don't have the right to state the facts, but the media does?

Often the media will state the 'fact" of someone elses' speculation, or the "fact" of a possibility.

Don't confuse facts with truth nor either with objective reporting

SMOKEU
1st August 2010, 20:00
Often the media will state the 'fact" of someone elses' speculation, or the "fact" of a possibility.

Don't confuse facts with truth nor either with objective reporting

Exactly. :yes:

doc
1st August 2010, 20:43
I just heard that a biker died by hitting a pole down Moorehouse Ave, Christchurch tonight. Does anyone else know any more?

RIP fellow biker.

I'm still at a loss as to why people have to be the first to report a "biker down" I'm still trying to get over another KB'r starting a thread about a local who was killed and all my neighbourhood friends thinking I knew about it cos of KB'r. Bad news travels fast. Best to let family find out with out the speculation first and let them get over the shock before the rumours start.

SMOKEU
1st August 2010, 21:11
I'm still at a loss as to why people have to be the first to report a "biker down" I'm still trying to get over another KB'r starting a thread about a local who was killed and all my neighbourhood friends thinking I knew about it cos of KB'r. Bad news travels fast. Best to let family find out with out the speculation first and let them get over the shock before the rumours start.

I think you should contact the Christchurch Press newspaper and express your concerns to them, as they included an article about this event.

If you don't like it, then don't read it. With a title this like, I was not misleading anyone as to the nature of this thread.

FJRider
1st August 2010, 21:13

Well (not) said