PDA

View Full Version : PC help please

Korumba
1st August 2010, 12:38
I have a 5 yo PC and the motherboard is fried Winfast NF4UK8AA
http://techreport.com/articles.x/7982/1
I guess the current ones wont work in such an old unit I just want to get it going so my youngest can play online games so not wanting to chuck a lot of money at it.
Trade me has a few cheap ones that are still in the box but not sure what one to get, so if anyone with some knowledge and could post a url to one that would be an equivalent that would be great.
Cheers

SMOKEU
1st August 2010, 12:43
Any socket 939 board should be fine.

Insanity_rules
1st August 2010, 12:43
Any socket 939 board should be fine.

Yep agreed. Just look for a new (or good used) socket 939 board. Are you planning to replace it yourself?

mashman
1st August 2010, 12:45
make a list of your component usage, that'll help you identify the best board for you... but it'll have to be a socket 939 board for the processor to fit... take your time and you'll be fine.

Korumba
1st August 2010, 13:04
Thanks guys, yea will do it myself I have managed to keep it going over the years with little knowledge and (yes I know that's a dangerous thing) but half the fun.....

SMOKEU
1st August 2010, 17:55
Thanks guys, yea will do it myself I have managed to keep it going over the years with little knowledge and (yes I know that's a dangerous thing) but half the fun.....

Don't forget to clean the top of the processor and the bottom of the processor heatsink, and re-apply some thermal paste to the processor before installing the heatsink back on. It's a common thing that people forget to do, and it ends in a fried CPU and a dent to your wallet.

Slyer
1st August 2010, 18:02
Don't forget to clean the top of the processor and the bottom of the processor heatsink, and re-apply some thermal paste to the processor before installing the heatsink back on. It's a common thing that people forget to do, and it ends in a fried CPU and a dent to your wallet.
The CPU turns itself off far before it gets hot enough to do damage.
Then again, I don't know about AMD's. ;)