PDA

View Full Version : Metzeler Z6

bear
31st May 2005, 14:36
Needed new tyres for the Bandit and the chaps down at Wgtn M/C recommended Metzeler Z6's. Done a few hundred km on them and boy what a difference.
Previously had what the bike came with when I brought it, rear=michenlin pilot, front=shinzo (or something like that).

The Z6's feel some much more stuck to the road, although seem to feel a lot more of the bumps on the road.

Overall a great improvement with the bike feeling a lot more planted to the road.

Anyone else tried these out and would like to add coments...

Hitcher
31st May 2005, 14:44
I ran two sets of Z6s on my ZRX1200R. Fantastic tyres. Good in the dry, good in the wet. Better mileage than the Battlax 020s. If I could get a 120/70 R18 I'd have them on the STeed as well.

Yarg
31st May 2005, 15:15
I have a Michellin power sport on the rear which needs changing soon.
would the Metzler Z6 be an improvement?? (for road holding & mileage?) :ride:

RiderInBlack
31st May 2005, 15:33
The Z6 so far is the best tyre so far for "Roxanne's" 230Kg (dry) for distances a hoons. Good durability with no felt lessening in traction (which I my mind is the most important).

I've tried P.Diab's. Too many punchers, not that durable (for my riding stile), too pricey (now) and but traction OK.
BT012 and BT014 were total miss match for "Roxanne". They would have suited a lighter race bike better.
Shit-cos I replaced as soon as I had worn them out.

SPman
31st May 2005, 17:54
I reckon the best all-purpose tyre out there. No dramas at all on the road, in all conditions, neutral, good mileage - get a bit squirrely at full lean angles on the track - but thats probably just me though.

Hitcher
31st May 2005, 18:33
I have a Michellin power sport on the rear which needs changing soon.
would the Metzler Z6 be an improvement?? (for road holding & mileage?)
If you do most of your riding at sub-hoon levels, yes.

RiderInBlack
1st June 2005, 12:16
If you do most of your riding at sub-hoon levels, yes.Know a few KB'ers that do quite well on Z6's above sub-hoon levels with little report of traction problems in compraisement (SP?) with other more sports oriented tyre.

Lou Girardin
1st June 2005, 15:39
I'm at 9500 to 10,000 k's on the Bandits rear and it's time for a new one. Great grip, very neutral steering. I've had 2 slides in the wet and that was on raised tar.
The only negative I've heard is that they go off quickly at track days, but then they're not track day tyres.
They won't give the levels of grip of pure sports tyres, but they will work well for 90% of riders. :2thumbsup

Firefight
1st June 2005, 15:53
have run a few of these on the R6, good in wet, price is good, can,t say I get the high mileage that some claim, but all round a good tyre, use bike to commute to work all weathers and week- end moderate to fast rides on back roads (22,raglin,corro loop) am putting a new set on next week.

have bought them from Wellington Motor cycles , AMPS and Motohaus, all pretty good on price.

F/F

Lou Girardin
2nd June 2005, 08:40
have run a few of these on the R6, good in wet, price is good, can,t say I get the high mileage that some claim, but all round a good tyre, use bike to commute to work all weathers and week- end moderate to fast rides on back roads (22,raglin,corro loop) am putting a new set on next week.

have bought them from Wellington Motor cycles , AMPS and Motohaus, all pretty good on price.

F/F

What k's are you getting from a rear?

vifferman
2nd June 2005, 08:44
I ran two sets of Z6s on my ZRX1200R. Fantastic tyres. Good in the dry, good in the wet. Better mileage than the Battlax 020s. If I could get a 120/70 R18 I'd have them on the STeed as well.
So how did they compare as far as grip and feel against the Bridgestones? (I'm not interested so much in mileage, just handling). I've heard that they're good in the wet, but feel a bit 'vague' on dry roads.

Hitcher
2nd June 2005, 13:14
So how did they compare as far as grip and feel against the Bridgestones? (I'm not interested so much in mileage, just handling). I've heard that they're good in the wet, but feel a bit 'vague' on dry roads.
The grip and handling was far better than the 020s. The Zrex dropped into corners better and also didn't want to stand up straight if you had to brake in a corner. A great tyre on dry roads, even greater in the wet. Loved them, in case you hadn't guessed. Apparently the new Pirelli Diablo Strada sport touring tyres are on a par (hardly surprising, given who owns whom).

vifferman
2nd June 2005, 13:17
The grip and handling was far better than the 020s. The Zrex dropped into corners better and also didn't want to stand up straight if you had to brake in a corner. A great tyre on dry roads, even greater in the wet. Loved them, in case you hadn't guessed. Apparently the new Pirelli Diablo Strada sport touring tyres are on a par (hardly surprising, given who owns whom).
Thanks for that. :niceone:
I think the "standing up in corners when braking" thing is partly to do with the steering geometry of the bike (although tyres affect this too), as the VFR doesn't tend to do this, nor did the FahrtSturm, but (IIRC) the VFR750 did, probably due to a more conservative geometry.

scroter
2nd June 2005, 13:40
my mates R6 has got these and i reckon there pretty good fast or slow, they grip well when leaned over. dunno about the milage yet but down here in whakatane the sportechs are about $100, yes thats right one hundred dollars, cheaper.

Lou Girardin
2nd June 2005, 15:36
my mates R6 has got these and i reckon there pretty good fast or slow, they grip well when leaned over. dunno about the milage yet but down here in whakatane the sportechs are about $100, yes thats right one hundred dollars, cheaper.

True, but you're looking at 2/3 to 1/2 the life of a Z6.

Hitcher
2nd June 2005, 19:20
I averaged about 11,000km on a rear on the Zrex. The fronts are probably good for about 15,000km but I always replace both tyres at the same time, so that's just an estimate.

AMPS
27th June 2005, 08:37
Finally replaced the rear at 10,500 k's, t'was borderline illegal. This included 4,000 heavily laden k's on the S I's abrasive roads. The rest was commuting and day rides. I'm not hard on the brakes and throttle but do maintain reasonably high corners speeds and commuting is of the quick variety. I would have replaced it at 9,500 to 10,000 if they had been available. I'm more than pleased with them.
Lou