PDA

View Full Version : Big bloke needs help (Geordie boy)

Geordie boy
2nd August 2010, 18:36
Hi all,
I need all your biker knowledge. I am half way to getting my full licence, and i'm now shopping round test sitting bikes. the problem I have is i'm 6ft 6" tall. and need some advice on what bike to buy when I get my full licence. I really prefer the cruiser style if this helps

many thanks Geordie Boy.

Ratti
2nd August 2010, 19:19
OMG..another praying mantis! I ride often with a chap who has the same problem. How the hell do you fold yourselves up onto those Hyosungs?

anyway, I'll tell you the same thing I told him this weekend. get the bike you want and have the seat rebuilt to fit your long legs. Im really tall too ( a bit under 6 foot ) with long legs and thats invariably what I do with any bikes I get.

The thing to look for is that the seat pan does not sit too far below the curve of the rear mudguard. If the foam sits up higher its not an issue as you will be rebuilding it as a single seater anyway. But its important that the metal or plastic pan is fairly high up. anything more than a 5-6cm and it gets tricky to re build seats. Not impossible, but tricky.

Not sure if Im making sense, ask questions and I'll attempt a coherent response.

Toaster
2nd August 2010, 19:41
M109R gets my vote. Great size for the big lads and plenty of performance for its price.

nallac
2nd August 2010, 20:25
M109R gets my vote. Great size for the big lads and plenty of performance for its price.

If i was looking for a crusier this'd be the one i want,(besides i can't afford a victory)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-301557270.htm

Toaster
4th August 2010, 19:39
If i was looking for a crusier this'd be the one i want,(besides i can't afford a victory)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-301557270.htm

My M109R was similar after a;ll its mods. Have ridden in a ride with that particular bike for sale too. Very nice example.

Gubb
4th August 2010, 21:05
Rocket III.

Hands down.

BMWST?
4th August 2010, 21:34
adv bikes are ussually fairly roomy in the bar/seat/peg dept,and i bet you could flat foot most of em.

rapid van cleef
5th August 2010, 00:00
wahey

fellow geordie here up in bay of plenty. ive been here 4 yrs. well done on getting the full matey. i think youll struggle on most modern sports bikes. my brother had a zx12 which was good for him but he was just over 6-1. so, tall trail bikes may be an option. i know you can buy lowering kits for bikes, you may be able to buy a kit to raidse the height of a bike too? someone on here may know.

Edbear
5th August 2010, 08:05

Have to agree with this! I love them. However you may be surprised at the roominess of the C50T as well. If you're in the area you could try mine on for size.

one fast tl1ooo
5th August 2010, 08:16
Welcome to kb

tamarillo
12th August 2010, 20:53
I'm 'only' 6'2 but have stuffed leg so like to sit tall. forget cruisers - you're too tall and they sit too low and bend you all up. go high - GS BMW's best, Honda Varedo. I have Triumph Trophy which is really to low and may have seat rebuilt higher.

Hortz
18th August 2010, 20:13
Welcome to KB. I don't know of a 250 that might fit you. You could always try a 250 raptor. Better still, get a hack and save you cash for somthing better after you get your full.

Bliksem
20th August 2010, 10:09
Go for a tenere, nice riding position, and your legs can never be tooo long...

george formby
20th August 2010, 11:25
The last time I was up Westgate road, 4 years ago, the weapons of choice for lanky Geordies were KTM's. I think this was more a reflection on how much the roads have deteriorated in the North East & the cost of insurance for sprot bikes. Cruisers are a lot more common doon sooth.
Not as many whippets around as their used to be either. Ga canny when you get a big bike.:scooter:

ExpertoCrede
20th August 2010, 12:08
If you want a Cruiser type the larger engines Suzuki M-series.

If you're looking at something different try a tourer BMW (a bit expensive) or V Strom. XT660 also nice and tall and a fantastic ride - versatile and good for commuting.