PDA

View Full Version : Buell comeback?

Crasherfromwayback
3rd August 2010, 12:16
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2010/08/buell-teases-return-to-production-of-street-legal-bikes/

White trash
3rd August 2010, 12:30
Not allowed to was my understanding. But then, I'm frequently wrong.

Crasherfromwayback
3rd August 2010, 12:32
Yeah...I think he's just teasing us...and probably HD too.

crazyhorse
3rd August 2010, 12:34
Well, they made a pretty good in-between bike. They should carry on production :done:

Cayman911
3rd August 2010, 13:23
I still want a XB9 with the thunderstorm engine at some stage when i can afford one in the future.

they better make it >_>

avgas
3rd August 2010, 13:43
Buell will not succeed unless they change name and get rid of the Monarchy.

Shame really as they are some nice bikes. XB12S and XBR were some of my favorite bikes.

Crasherfromwayback
3rd August 2010, 14:07
Buell will not succeed unless they change name and get rid of the Monarchy.

Shame really as they are some nice bikes. XB12S and XBR were some of my favorite bikes.

I can sell you a new XB12SS for $13600.00!

avgas
3rd August 2010, 15:08
Alas that is 13,000 more than I have.
Was planning to buy one 2012. So if you still have it then consider it sold.

Crasherfromwayback
3rd August 2010, 15:10
Alas that is 13,000 more than I have.
Was planning to buy one 2012. So if you still have it then consider it sold.

$600.00 will do as a deposit!

doc
3rd August 2010, 15:15
If this comes true. Nallac will wet himself

White trash
3rd August 2010, 17:27

Cool. I'll be in on Monday.

Bwahahahahaha

Crasherfromwayback
3rd August 2010, 17:58
Cool. I'll be in on Monday.

Bwahahahahaha

Look forward to it!

Big Dave
3rd August 2010, 20:12
Last I read there are still 162 new ones in the mother lode.

nallac
3rd August 2010, 20:35

Make mine a Black Uly......

Fark ...$600.............how mucha per week mista.

If this comes true. Nallac will wet himself

yeahnahmaybemostlikely.....

AllanB
3rd August 2010, 20:42
Just quietly it all looks a little yawn to me. Another sport bike - that won't offer anyting significantly better than any current bike. In fact with BMW upping the anti the Japanese will be full bore ahead on new exotic hyper-tech stuff. Eric will again be miles behind. Harley should have stuck with the quirky but unique and fine X series.

Plus - why has he taken a Honda logo and stuck a horses head on it? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Crasherfromwayback
3rd August 2010, 20:49
Make mine a Black Uly......

Fark ...$600.............how mucha per week mista.

yeahnahmaybemostlikely.....

The only black one we have coming is sold sorry! The XB12XT is gonna be $14200.00 on the road I think from memory.

How much per week? Best you give me a call to see what we can do...:shifty:

Big Dave
3rd August 2010, 21:07
that won't offer anyting significantly better than any current bike. h:

One of the features of his design is it does more with less.

The 1125CR handles just about as well as a BMW or Ducati that costs 10K more.

The perimeter brake doesn't work as well as the GSXR setup, but it's 2.5kg of unsprung weight lighter and works pretty well.

His designs also crash well at low speed. Mine has been over a few times and suffered nil damage. None.

Bestest? Nah, good designs, value for the $ and very enjoyable to ride.

nallac
3rd August 2010, 21:46
The only black one we have coming is sold sorry! The XB12XT is gonna be $14200.00 on the road I think from memory.

How much per week? Best you give me a call to see what we can do...:shifty:

Have ya got a few Buells coming in?.I see the other shop in Palmy advertising em..cancelled shipment or some such thing from another market?????.

As much as i want a Uly i'd have to flick my X1..don't want to do that cause i looove it so much..
Such a hooligans bike.it just suits me to a tee.

I need two bikes, the only prob with that is the wifey doesn't think i need two bikes as much as i do.............

Crasherfromwayback
3rd August 2010, 21:51
Have ya got a few Buells coming in?.
I need two bikes, the only prob with that is the wifey doesn't think i need two bikes as much as i do.............

Got a few XB12SS's, and a few XB12XT's.

What would she know mate...just do it!

AllanB
3rd August 2010, 23:13
One of the features of his design is it does more with less.The perimeter brake doesn't work as well as the GSXR setup, but it's 2.5kg of unsprung weight lighter and works pretty well.

His designs also crash well at low speed. Mine has been over a few times and suffered nil damage. None.

Bestest? Nah, good designs, value for the $ and very enjoyable to ride.

Don't get me wrong I seriously looked at a Sporty powered Buell but back then they were over priced - now the last pricing was more like it! :shifty:

Perimeter brake - most riders would be better off loosing 2.5 kg of body fat :yes: It's main claim to fame is that is has been picked up by the chopper guys as a fashion statement .......:shutup:

And it is no wonder Harley shafted them - WTF - no crash damage - how the heck will they make profit on over-priced parts if they do not get damaged? That's really bad management by Buell :shifty:

Oil in frame etc - old hat, the British did it decades ago, well more oil over the frame.......

The major (or only one I can immediately think of) feature he introduced to motorcycledom that has been taken up by all parties is the 'mass centralisation' thingy he spoke of for decades. As much as I really like the under-tail pipes on my Hornet - it really is a silly place to put two heavy components!

However I do suspect that many of the companies currently putting the mufflers etc under the engine are doing so just to hide the ugly cats etc now required!

Now $600 down and a manageable weekly payment - a small tax return coming my way could cover that - at the end of the day I personally think the major contribution Buell made to motorcycles was a big fat smile on riders of his later bikes (excluding the CR). I often see that at the Akaroa Hill Top - you can tell the Buell riders - they keep their ear plugs in until the fan shuts off!

Big Dave
4th August 2010, 10:51
Well in answer to all that I'd say...I think they had very cheap parts. Quite a good reputation for it - the bike is also very cheap to service and was one of the first with 8,000km service intervals.

My XB12X was cheaper than a 1050 Tiger back at full retail, and the 2.5kg I lost last week wasn't unsprung weight.

The oil/fuel in the frame is just one component of the mass centralisation that sees the bikes often rated as the best cornering. Same for the underslung muffler.

The fan keeps the oil from boiling in the enclosed rear cylinder. Several modern bikes - Kawasaki Concourse through to Honda Rune make the same noises. Irrelevant what anyone else thinks. They do a job.

tamarillo
13th August 2010, 13:47
I still want a XB9 with the thunderstorm engine at some stage when i can afford one in the future.

they better make it >_>

WHY? It has an engine out of a tractor! if your going to have that sort of techo get an old bike! each to their own...:gob:

Crasherfromwayback
13th August 2010, 14:19
WHY? It has an engine out of a tractor! if your going to have that sort of techo get an old bike! each to their own...:gob:

Like a 96 Triumph Trophy? ANY Buell would see you off mate.

Big Dave
13th August 2010, 14:37
Like a 96 Triumph Trophy? ANY Buell would see you off mate.

I sold my Triumph Trophy 6 months after I bought the XB12X. Still liked it. Just didn't use it any more.

Crasherfromwayback
13th August 2010, 15:11
Funny that...

Big Dave
13th August 2010, 17:39
Funny that...

Ironically in this context it was also about slowing down - although the Buell taps out faster than my 1998 Trophy 1200 with Daytona Pistons cams and Neptune exhaust did. It's 3 bags of cement lighter.

The main reason I sold the Trophy had to do with change of road policing policy around Auckland.

A bike that was better for back roads adventuring was more fun in 2005 than the high-speed-cruise-up-16-er was when I built the Trophy in 2002.

Crasherfromwayback
13th August 2010, 19:13
A bike that was better for back roads adventuring was more fun in 2005 than the high-speed-cruise-up-16-er was when I built the Trophy in 2002.

Let alone the fuel you saved. Fuck 1200 Trophy's are thirsty bitches!

awayatc
13th August 2010, 19:26
not sure I read all this correct...
am a bit blond....
(or is it grey?)

You got new Buell ulysees coming...?
would love to add one to my humble stable....

Crasherfromwayback
13th August 2010, 19:41
not sure I read all this correct...
am a bit blond....
(or is it grey?)

You got new Buell ulysees coming...?
would love to add one to my humble stable....

Correct. Avail any day now. Complete with panniers but not the top box. I'll fly you down to get it...or deliver it to your door!

fazer
16th August 2010, 22:54
have you a new red xt available?

Crasherfromwayback
17th August 2010, 08:53
have you a new red xt available?

I think so mate. Feel free to email me...and I'll suss it out for you.

pmcdonald@wmcc.co.nz

Pete

Swoop
17th August 2010, 09:21
It would be extremely pleasing to see Buell back on the shop floor with full factory backup/parts etc.
Definately a bike that would be welcomed into the garage.

AllanB
17th August 2010, 10:19
It would be extremely pleasing to see Buell back on the shop floor with full factory backup/parts etc.
Definately a bike that would be welcomed into the garage.

Yeah but Harley won't be backing him on supplying engines and surely a big hunk of the Buell appeal was the hotted up Sporty donk? The CR has nowhere to go in the current crop of ultra sports bikes especially with the good price on the new BMW.

He could always power them with a 2 litre S&S engine!

Actually if and when a Buell reappears it will most likely be nothing like the old ones as I presume that Harley owns all the patents from previous Buells.

Big Dave
17th August 2010, 10:24
There's a FUHD tee shirt hanging on the wall in his current office.

nallac
17th August 2010, 16:54
There's a FUHD tee shirt hanging on the wall in his current office.

Good man..........