PDA

View Full Version : Badltnt has killed frosties van shhhhh

badlieutenant
31st May 2005, 22:14
I flew up north (from welly to auckland) in the weekend to move some remaining possesions to a safe(ish) storage place further north (NZ's smallest town, Kohukohu, aka coke). I was going to have hire a van or similar to do so and then it occurred to me that I might be able to help the frosty racing fund by giving him some money for the use of the van rather than some homo hire outfit.

So, in the abbreviated version I pick up van (cheers frosty) and load it up next morning and head north.
One hill before the mangamuka gorge as I accelerate up I detect a slight burble from the motor, which up till this point has run flawlessly, and then another.
Errrr ummmm I thought.
As I started to pull over to the side somewhere safe (I had just been overtaken by 3 trucktrailer units doing about 120 -140 km/hr) the motor went Pop!!
well..... more like BANG or BANG
Lift the seat to have a look at the motor and there is the coil lying on its side earthed out on the engine.
It would appear that the coil bracket has broken and shorted out at a time when I was probably at max throttle which meant the fuel that was passing thru unburnt went pop in the muffler.
Im going to reattach the coil but Im kinda hoping someone near by (from kerikeri to opononi to whangarei, oh and kohukohu) might have a spare hilux muffler that I could put on the lovley frost van ? I dont think I can patch this one as it has burst its seams.
help
motu dont read this............oh too late, sorry :(

badlieutenant
31st May 2005, 22:16
starts singing "always look on the bright side of life......." (http://vrya.net/ts/media/zip/brightside.zip)

FROSTY
1st June 2005, 18:54
hmmm --sounds like sabatage to me

badlieutenant
1st June 2005, 19:45
Someone out there feeling quilty ? :D

Motu
2nd June 2005, 07:43
I wondered how long it would take - we cut more than halfway through that bracket,I was thinking it would break just the other side of Whangarei.When you said you had blown the muffler I was thinking HTF did that happen,now I know! It's like trying to patch holes in a leaky dinghy half way to Grt Barrier!

badlieutenant
2nd June 2005, 09:13
I wondered how long it would take - we cut more than halfway through that bracket,I was thinking it would break just the other side of Whangarei.When you said you had blown the muffler I was thinking HTF did that happen,now I know! It's like trying to patch holes in a leaky dinghy half way to Grt Barrier!
well Im looking at patching it now :D Ive got to check with frosty wheather he wants a really good repair or a new muffler. sigh.
If I had had another second in time to pull over then it wouldnt have happened. As soon as I felt the engine burble I started pulling over, and the enigine is running really smoothly, oh well.....shit happens. Better to have it happen up here than on a race weekend :D
are you the Kaipakaru motu ? :D

vifferman
2nd June 2005, 09:17
Badltnt has killed frosties van shhhhh

Bad, bad, Badlieutenant! :nono:
Now go and sit in the corner.

ajturbo
3rd June 2005, 14:27
NOOOOOoooooooooo

what that van has been put through... how can it stay on the road??? but i suppose by the time frosty needs to use it for racing it will be all brand new..?:motu:

badlieutenant
3rd June 2005, 21:06
Short version (so far)
heard from mate that he had friend with a van similar in his tip and for a bit of money he let me have it. So shot over the rawene ferry to pick his son up to help me retrive exhaust and show me the way there. The dona van was lying on its side slightly covered in dirt and rubbish. So dug some dirt away and hacksawed pipe off. Grabbed a spare indicator cluster and coil while i was there.
Did i mention the guy at the farm said that we wouldnt have a prob getting to the van?, which would've been the case if the van was fourwheel drive and it wasnt pissing down with rain. So had to carry all the crap (toolbox spades etc)up the hill in the rain to get to it as well as reverse about a km to get back out.
Anyhow, we left there and shot back out to waima valley to my mates place and crank up his generator (he doesnt have main supply there) put the van on some car ramps (again in the rain) and pulled the blowen up muffler off and fit the new one.
hurra!!
van is all good, doesnt overheat (which isnt likely in this weather)
and I cant feel my toes...........no heater :D

badlieutenant
3rd June 2005, 21:07
Bad, bad, Badlieutenant! :nono:
Now go and sit in the corner.
I was, in my "special" jacket .........

toads
3rd June 2005, 22:26
It would seem you have all the fun in your travels, I hope it's all sorted now, :cold: it's freezing down here in Gizzy

ajturbo
4th June 2005, 09:25
It would seem you have all the fun in your travels, I hope it's all sorted now, :cold: it's freezing down here in Gizzy

what??? is it getting below 15 deg.???:weird:

badlieutenant
6th June 2005, 11:05
ahh gizzy nice place, that i hope to visit one day :(
The van has no heater so the desert road was interesting. Made it wellington no problem other then a little frost bite (no jokes here please).
However, yesterday as i drove to drop the bike off the bloody COIL fell off again!!!! this time tho I was ready and going down hill. So now it is fixed so it wont happen again. End of story. Van is now passed onto WT. :D
cheers frosty!!!! that new motor is awesome, hopefully the driving Ive done in it was a good chance to let any gremlins come forth, touch wood.

Motu
6th June 2005, 11:57
Phew! The length of the North Island is a pretty good test and I'm very relieved! Has all that green paint burnt off yet?,dunno why they painted it that colour.Sorry bout the heater,my van has a heater,but it's still so bloody cold I have the heater on 4 to get the cabin heated....van heaters are pretty useless.

FROSTY
6th June 2005, 12:21
my grand touring van --aint it great. Ohh and monotary dontations from wellywood KBers happy I'm helping ol trashy outa your city happily accepted. :devil2: :devil2:

badlieutenant
7th June 2005, 09:29
Phew! The length of the North Island is a pretty good test and I'm very relieved! Has all that green paint burnt off yet?,dunno why they painted it that colour.Sorry bout the heater,my van has a heater,but it's still so bloody cold I have the heater on 4 to get the cabin heated....van heaters are pretty useless.
Ahh the green paint didnt get a chance to burn as the engine didnt get warm, let alone hot going south :D
But yer, I think the van can be declared reliable.