PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Selling my ZXR250C

wildcat_lgf
31st May 2005, 22:14
Well this is possibly a bit of a pointless post...but I am thinking of selling my 1991 ZXR250C.

It has 40K on the clock, new paint, decals, blah blah blah. There is a post about the work I've done on it somewhere in this forum.

It is sitting at present and the cold weather is depressing me so I'm thinking if I should sell it?

If so, what would I get for it, personally I think it is the best looking ZXR ever! It recently flew through its WOF (about 3 weeks ago) but may need the front rotors looking at, some stage in the future. There is apparantly a company in the UK that will supply wavey or standard disks for GBP75 +shipping.

Basically I am just feeling the market and what sort of response I'm likely to get. If there is anyone looking for a bike, I am casually looking to sell it...or keeping it.

Let me know what you think...and how much I should get?

SPORK
31st May 2005, 22:18
But, the real question is, if you sold it, would you get a new bike?!

250learna
1st June 2005, 00:13
If so, what would I get for it, personally I think it is the best looking ZXR ever!

It sure is one sexy bike :love:

Waylander
1st June 2005, 00:21
You mean after all that work on the bike and all the work into getting leathers shipped over here to match your bike, a little wet and cold and you decide to sell? I don't see it. Sorry mate but I don't think that's the reason for your desicion. Be straight with us mate. what's the stoy?

wildcat_lgf
1st June 2005, 08:56
You mean after all that work on the bike and all the work into getting leathers shipped over here to match your bike, a little wet and cold and you decide to sell? I don't see it. Sorry mate but I don't think that's the reason for your desicion. Be straight with us mate. what's the stoy?

Yeah I see your point, which is why I'm only half heartedly thinking of selling it...I'm the kind of guy who needs a project, I've restored a couple of cars (1978 Fiat X1/9, 1976 Alfa Romeo Spider, GTiR, started an Austin Healey) and have now done up a bike and helped with a mates bike last year also. So you see, I get my thrills out of doing that.

I'm still dead keen to be riding and want to have a bike to bring along to track days etc, but I don't really want to drop this bike seeing how beautiful it is...that pretty much counts out any track-days as I think I would cry if I dropped it. There might be others who wouldn't mind so much, but its taken alot of time an effort for me.

PLUS, it will never be worth as much as it is now, that's just common sense. The more I ride it, the more stone-chips, etc the lower the value.

So I'm looking to possibly trade down...I've seen a few dedicated race bikes that I am semi-interested in on Trademe which I wouldn't mind so much learning to race on, and it wouldn't matter as much if I dropped them.

I could be interested in trading +cash for a not-so-nice CBR but preferably another ZXRC that I can fling around the track. Hence all the effort to get the leathers so I don't damage myself in the process.

Happy?

Jonty
1st June 2005, 09:57
I can give you a good condition ZXR250A and $50 :whistle:

Seriously, I know how it is as my parents used to restore old machinery and once the project is done you really just need to start another one, and there is no use having a shite load of nice machines lying around if someone else can appreciate them to!

John
1st June 2005, 10:01
Yeah I see your point, which is why I'm only half heartedly thinking of selling it...I'm the kind of guy who needs a project, I've restored a couple of cars (1978 Fiat X1/9, 1976 Alfa Romeo Spider, GTiR, started an Austin Healey) and have now done up a bike and helped with a mates bike last year also. So you see, I get my thrills out of doing that.

I'm still dead keen to be riding and want to have a bike to bring along to track days etc, but I don't really want to drop this bike seeing how beautiful it is...that pretty much counts out any track-days as I think I would cry if I dropped it. There might be others who wouldn't mind so much, but its taken alot of time an effort for me.

PLUS, it will never be worth as much as it is now, that's just common sense. The more I ride it, the more stone-chips, etc the lower the value.

So I'm looking to possibly trade down...I've seen a few dedicated race bikes that I am semi-interested in on Trademe which I wouldn't mind so much learning to race on, and it wouldn't matter as much if I dropped them.

I could be interested in trading +cash for a not-so-nice CBR but preferably another ZXRC that I can fling around the track. Hence all the effort to get the leathers so I don't damage myself in the process.

Happy?
I know what your saying I feel the same, but just imagine what you would do if you saw the pictures of someone wrecking it, man that would upset me.

But either way good luck - you should wait until you get your (full?) before selling on, and just ride like a nana in the mean time, this way you will be able to buy a bigger better bike like a zxr400 :)

Either way think about it carefully, dont jump on how you feel..

placidfemme
1st June 2005, 10:30
Wow, you've put in a lot of hard work on your bike... and it is a mean looking machine... personally I don't think you should sell it just yet, but it is your choice... what are you looking at asking for a buying price?

wildcat_lgf
1st June 2005, 12:06
Wow, you've put in a lot of hard work on your bike... and it is a mean looking machine... personally I don't think you should sell it just yet, but it is your choice... what are you looking at asking for a buying price?

Yeah everyone is saying that I should keep it, I'll book in for my restricted and do that in a couple of weeks on the bike...just feeling the market really, probably looking to get $4800 for it, maybe even $5K? Realistic?

Thanks for the offer for an A model plus lunch money :) Although seriously if anyone has a wrecked C model I could build up to race...?

placidfemme
1st June 2005, 12:10
Yeah everyone is saying that I should keep it, I'll book in for my restricted and do that in a couple of weeks on the bike...just feeling the market really, probably looking to get $4800 for it, maybe even $5K? Realistic?

Thanks for the offer for an A model plus lunch money :) Although seriously if anyone has a wrecked C model I could build up to race...?

Well if you are going to sell your bike, let me know, my partner and I are going bike shopping soon to upgrade her bike (I'm trying to talk her into getting a sports bike, but she wants an upright bike... but yours is flash and all so she might change her mind :devil2: )

Anyway keep us posted :)

Waylander
1st June 2005, 12:44

Happy?
No. I still don't see it. Why not just buy a wrecker that has and running enginr and non-dammaged frame? Use the current bike for road riding and stuff and then buid the wrecker up to race standard. Gives you another project to work on and a bike to ride. Unless that would cost to much though I have seen a few 250 running wrecks going for $500 to $600.

Jonty
1st June 2005, 13:50

For your machine I think 5K is realistic. You may have to be patient to find a buyer and possibly not till it warms up a bit - Dealers are flogging off ZXR's no where near as flash as your for around $5k

justsomeguy
1st June 2005, 15:42
The K's are starting to get up there - try and not increase them too much and next summer you should get 5k.

Red Baron has bikes with lower k's than yours but in a condition not as nice as your bike with a $6995 sticker price.

Cheque bikepoint.co.nz and trademe.co.nz for a decent private/dealer price range.

Suney
1st June 2005, 17:02
Sell your fairings and wheels and buy a fiberglass kit for it so you can race it :P

FEINT
1st June 2005, 21:05
I just want to say, your bike is in great condition!

Antallica
2nd June 2005, 06:57
Wait 'till Summer.

SPORK
2nd June 2005, 07:29
Apart from the kays, that's a pretty mint bike to be selling for $5,000. I've been getting updates of 250s on TM for a couple of months now and yuo could probably sell it for higher.

Hell, give me a chance to get some money and I'LL buy it off ya :msn-wink:

Coyote
2nd June 2005, 17:01
I think you are going about it the right way. Sell it and get another 250 as a race bike/do up project. My CBR was a pristine bike except for a tiny bit of rust underneath the seat, but since I was so gun-ho about racing, I've totally trashed it knocking off about 3 grand of its value. Wrecked front fairing, dented tank, cracked and welded up crankcase, a scratched and dented muffler and a few other minor things. I don't want to put you off racing though, I had the most fun I've ever had out there despite crashing. I just wish I hadn't raced such a nice bike

Only problem is if you want to race another 250, your likely to spend all the money you get from selling your bike going toward the new bike, plus another 500-1000 bucks. A 150 would be way cheaper

Suney
10th June 2005, 10:41
Update wildcat? Made any plans yet?

placidfemme
10th June 2005, 11:08
He's selling it to me for my partner! yay!

Just waiting for approval from the finance company :)

*is very excited*