PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 question

SMOKEU
5th August 2010, 14:54
If someone were to install Windows 7 using a 'dodgy' key, could that person 'purchase' a legitimate key for it an change the key at a later date without re-installing the OS?

Ronin
5th August 2010, 14:56
Yup you can change product key. They even make it easy for you.

marie_speeds
5th August 2010, 14:56
Pretty sure you have to uninstall "dodgy" version first and then reinstall with legitimate key...

p.dath
5th August 2010, 14:57
If someone were to install Windows 7 using a 'dodgy' key, could that person 'purchase' a legitimate key for it an change the key at a later date without re-installing the OS?

Absolutely yes. Microsoft have a special program for this.

mashman
5th August 2010, 15:04
Pretty sure you have to uninstall "dodgy" version first and then reinstall with legitimate key...

Nope. There's at least 2 other ways... this one is guaranteed, but it'll cost you $250 and that's to get the "Upgrade Kit" online from MS, works a treat and my key was so totally valid :shifty: you get the key there and then, then receive the disk (32 and 64 bit) in about a weeks time...

The other, I did this on the work laptop the other day (Genuine copy), call the automated service, punch in some code (can't remember what it's called) and follow the instructions, but be ready with a pen and paper... takes a wee while, but does the trick and is toll free :) (not sure how the auto lady will respond if your key has been activated a few hundred times though :))

avgas
5th August 2010, 15:05
Yep.
You go to register the dodgy key - they tell you its dodgy, and say "Would you like to buy a new one"
you click yes.

avgas
5th August 2010, 15:08
The other, I did this on the work laptop the other day (Genuine copy), call the automated service, punch in some code (can't remember what it's called) and follow the instructions, but be ready with a pen and paper... takes a wee while, but does the trick and is toll free :) (not sure how the auto lady will respond if your key has been activated a few hundred times though :))
I have an XP and Vista codes. From recall I have had the vista machine since day one and that has been "phone reg'd" at least 12 times. So I don't think they care.
When they first setup that phone service I used it for xp (2002)......gave me reg code and everything. Strange thing was my XP nor the code was legit??????

SMOKEU
5th August 2010, 15:15
Yep.
You go to register the dodgy key - they tell you its dodgy, and say "Would you like to buy a new one"
you click yes.

I have a way of getting a legitimate key for free, but it might take a while. It doesn't involve stealing a copy of Windows from a shop either, or someones house.

mashman
5th August 2010, 15:29
I have an XP and Vista codes. From recall I have had the vista machine since day one and that has been "phone reg'd" at least 12 times. So I don't think they care.
When they first setup that phone service I used it for xp (2002)......gave me reg code and everything. Strange thing was my XP nor the code was legit??????

bugga... :angry:

avgas
5th August 2010, 15:46
I have a way of getting a legitimate key for free, but it might take a while. It doesn't involve stealing a copy of Windows from a shop either, or someones house.
If your getting the new key in less than 30 days what I do is do the install, then later on punch in the key.

they will let you install windows without a key and run it for 30 days.

Ronin
5th August 2010, 19:15
Sigh... On Windows 7.... Right click my computer... Proerties... Down the bottom of the window (after about 30 seconds) there is a change key button.

sinfull
5th August 2010, 19:32
If your getting the new key in less than 30 days what I do is do the install, then later on punch in the key.

they will let you install windows without a key and run it for 30 days. Not much good if you want media player 11 and nope nothing else will do !

Just formatted a trade me pc cause it had a pirate version and loaded my xp home etc to get my player back where it was, only to realise i'd just lost ms word grrr now i have open office and a pdf converter (so others can read shit i write) lol

sinfull
5th August 2010, 19:36
Something you geeks might be able to help with is, since doing all my updates (home was old one), i now have waves in IE as i scroll down a page with the wheel or pulling down the side bar !~ I mean like waves and ya cant read as they move ! what have i done lol

Latte
5th August 2010, 19:40
I would look at Vid Drivers. Make sure you have the vendors latest stable version to be sure.

Ronin
5th August 2010, 19:48
Yup. Video drivers Sinny.

Mental Trousers
5th August 2010, 19:49
Just get the OEM version (not telling you where online though) that never needs activating!!

Gremlin
6th August 2010, 02:44
haven't found that, but windows loader helps me install a good os.

Brian d marge
6th August 2010, 02:54
Sorry

couldn't resist

paying money for a distro

250 dollars? thats a dam good week on the piss

2 hookers ( the ones I go to are cheap)

and a kebab on the way home

paying money for a distro ,,,,,,, oh how I laughed

Stephen

Ronin
6th August 2010, 07:48
Sorry

couldn't resist

Stephen

Yeah but our distro comes with fullstops as well as commas :yes:

davereid
6th August 2010, 08:23
... windows loader helps me install a good os....

What ... ? Windows loader helps you install Linux.. ! How cool is dat !

mashman
6th August 2010, 12:12
Sorry

couldn't resist

Stephen

cnut....... :lol:

dipshit
6th August 2010, 13:28
So with win7 - is 32 or 64 bit the way to go these days...?

onearmedbandit
6th August 2010, 13:32

My understanding is that 32bit is fine for most users, however if you have particular software that is written to work on 64bit then the 2nd option is for you. Although I maybe wrong lol.

Gremlin
6th August 2010, 13:50
How much memory will you use max? 3GB or less, 32 bit. More? 64 bit.

Windows 7 is the best windows yet at hardware drivers (without sounding like Microsoft, I've been surprised by its capabilities since October last year), so 64 bit isn't much of an issue. Software is increasingly 64 bit aware, or in the pipeline for development.

2 years ago, 64 bit was useless, with basic stuff like winrar not fully using it. Around a year ago, it finally started supporting 64 bit, and as more and more people start using 64 bit, more software will be developed with 64 bit in mind, a neat circle :yes: For normal software, games, Office etc, don't use 64 bit yet, the 32 bit versions are more stable (office 2010 :shifty:) and eg, firefox 32 bit has many more add-ons.

edit: This ignores software that cannot run on 64 bit, its always the oddities and and random bits that trip you up.

Bald Eagle
6th August 2010, 13:57
I'd be surprised if you could use the words Microsoft and Capabilities in the same sentence and not be doing a stand-up comedy routine :lol:

Ronin
6th August 2010, 15:01
I'd be surprised if you could use the words Microsoft and Capabilities in the same sentence and not be doing a stand-up comedy routine :lol:

Tell you what. You might be surprised. Aside from all the spit and polish, Win7 is by and far the most stable OS I have seen in a long time. Yet to see one with a virus either and as removing them is part of what I do for a living, thats a big thing.

Upgraded the workshop machine a couple of weeks ago, one of the sticks of ram was faulty so it ended up with only one gig. Yesterday we had it doing checkdisk on 2 seperate disks while virus scanning another. Never missed a beat. I'm getting to the point where I'm trying to crash it just to see if I can.

imdying
6th August 2010, 15:27
Yet to see one with a virus eitherOh yeah, definitely seen that... whole lotta PCs, none of which were using the lovely and free MSE :laugh:

NighthawkNZ
6th August 2010, 15:38
Yet to see one with a virus

Windows and Microsoft are a virus....:blink:

Gremlin
6th August 2010, 17:47
Well, XP was a stickler for drivers, sometimes it found drivers via update (you were amazed if it did, and I didn't rely on it, having the driver myself). I'm from the process of loading a printer driver onto a computer, creating a port, then connecting to the printer (ok, so there are over 5 different ways of connecting to printers - each printer has its quirks). Vista, putting it into a Server 2003/XP environment was hopeless, and basically gave you the finger when trying to connect to a printer, saying it didn't have the driver.

Multiple installations of 7, double click on printer share, haven't seen one fail yet. Considering you can't even load a 7 driver onto a 2003 server because it doesn't know what 7 is...

Hardware drivers, whole new ball game. I'm almost starting to think tier 1 support could do installs. "Yes sir, click windows update, it will find all the drivers". Manufacturers now just tell you to go through windows update, and won't give you links. Almost scary how easily it works for the vast majority of drivers.

Until 7 I was still using classic themes, never properly switched to Vista, never used XP theme, etc, so I'm hardly a lover and fanboy of everything new about Microsoft.

It goes without saying that its slower than XP, thats obvious to a blind dude, but its certainly better than Vista. I actually found myself almost enjoying using it, and snapping windows into maximised mode or pulling them out of it is actually really handy, until you sit in front of XP :lol:

Neshi
7th August 2010, 15:42
It goes without saying that its slower than XP, thats obvious to a blind dude, but its certainly better than Vista. I actually found myself almost enjoying using it, and snapping windows into maximised mode or pulling them out of it is actually really handy, until you sit in front of XP :lol:

7 actually ustilizes ram, unlike vista or XP. Pre-fetching works a charm and speeds the regular things up real nice. This goes without saying you'd need 64 bit and some ram. more than 4 anyway...

Gremlin
8th August 2010, 00:56
64 bit and 12gb enough?

Was running out with 6, so chucked another triple channel kit in

Suntoucher
8th August 2010, 04:00
12 will never be enough, obviously need a dual 1366 Xeon board with 12 dimms of ECC 8gb sticks.

Ah, my first Windows box, 120mhz 486 with 16 megs.
A 512mb HDD cost me $80!.

Went through a series of Apple II's and Powermacs before getting that powerhouse.

Windows 95 supremacy.