PDA

View Full Version : Rider Ettiq . . .. Good Manners

mangell6
23rd November 2003, 20:33
Travelling home from Napier today, in the car where the driver and passenger were feeling :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:, we had a large number of bikes pass us. Now apart from being pissed that they could idle past us while we had to wait for a longer stretch of road to pass, we dutifully pulled to the extreme left of the road to allow the riders to safely pass. Usually done when they passed the car behind us.

Now out of the approximate thirty bikes that passed us only FOUR acknowledged that we had moved over to let them pass safely. I personally make a point of acknowledging cagers who do this sort of thing. As most of the people who drive cars never even see a bike and it is most gratifying to have a few that do.

So if a cager does the right thing, acknowledge the act as it may encourage them to do the right thing more often.

And now for the real gripe
:argh:
PR4DA - you are dangerous.
Overtaking a car as it comes into the corner, which is at the bottom of a small hill with a bridge being the corner and with no visiblility of on coming traffic does not endear the motorcycling fraternity to the poor car driver who came around the corner and had no where to go if you had even slightly misjudged anything. And I will only mention that you had a pillion as I don't know what they thought.

SPman
23rd November 2003, 23:19
Weren't Ullysses riders, were they?

LB
24th November 2003, 04:44
Hi Mike - I generally either wave or give a quick "toot toot" when I pass cars/trucks who pull over. It's nice that they do (and like you say, it means they've seen us!!). Sometimes it's a pain when they flick up stones, but they're not aware that they're doing that.

Lynda

Slim
24th November 2003, 05:57
Yup. I stick out my hand with a thumbs-up sign, unless I'm too occupied with the road, but where safe .....

mangell6
24th November 2003, 07:47
SPman - No Ullysses riders, but about 30-40 tractor riders :D were heading the other way to Hastings/Napier, they rarely wave and getting a wave is even rarer when in a group. :p

Slim - What were you doing riding down Wgtn way yesterday, one of the riders, who was on a Gillero, gave the thumbs up sign as they went past and being safe enough to do it. :D

Think I will go for a ride this afternoon, just after lunch, the hill is always good on a working monday.

Mike

Slim
24th November 2003, 08:35
Originally posted by mangell6
Slim - What were you doing riding down Wgtn way yesterday, one of the riders, who was on a Gillero, gave the thumbs up sign as they went past and being safe enough to do it. :D
Wouldn't I love to be riding a Gillero! Unfortunately I could only afford a Honda CBR6.

I noticed the English riders I encountered were really lazy when it came to acknowledging courteous c@r drivers & set about re-educating those I encountered. One girl commented that using a Thumbs Up instead of just a wee wave made it really obvious what you were on about - anyone else would have thought it was obvious! :rolleyes:

PZR
24th November 2003, 11:22
Originally posted by mangell6

Now out of the approximate thirty bikes that passed us only FOUR acknowledged that we had moved over to let them pass safely. I personally make a point of acknowledging cagers who do this sort of thing. As most of the people who drive cars never even see a bike and it is most gratifying to have a few that do.

So if a cager does the right thing, acknowledge the act as it may encourage them to do the right thing more often.
.:argh:

I totally agree. Plenty on this site seem happy to bitch about "THOSE CAGE DRIVERS" but simple common courtsey goes a long way towards good will (not to mention good road skills).
And besides the driver you are thanking might also be a fellow biker. That might be why they pulled over in the first place.....

Believe it or not there are some nice competent people out there in cars. Most people who ride bikes (with three or four vocal exceptions on this site and some of the younger student types) have a car and a bike.
So thank that person who got out of your way and they will be happier to do it again next time, or piss them off and next time they may pull over to the right instead.

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. Courtesey costs nothing.
A simple but effective rule for life.

The only two exceptions are......
1/ Only when its safe to do so
2/ Harley riders who cannot afford to take a hand off the bars( :Oops: Was that out loud????)

Blackbird
24th November 2003, 16:45
Hi Mike

I do the same as you.  Interestingly though, when I've been in the car recently and pulled over a wee bit for bikes and/or flicked my indicator to let them know I've seen them, I've got more acknowledgements than I used to.  Maybe it's just confined to Waikato and Coromandel riders!!

I hate being in the car and getting passed by bikes, particularly on a sunny day.  Not helped by Jennie taking the piss either:argh:

Geoff

Nouseforaname
24th November 2003, 17:33
I always try and acknowledge a driver who pulls to the left, but the thing that really makes me laugh is drivers who see you coming up and almost drive there car into a ditch to give you as much room as possible. As much as i appreciate the thought, some cars ive had do this to me have almost crashed in the process:D

But dont ya just love the arseholes who see ya filtering up the motorway and intentionally pull there car over so they block you from moving forward, jealous pricks:)

Timber020
24th November 2003, 17:33
I cut alot of traffic lines and am always careful to give a friendly wave to the cars, might be the difference between them watching me dissappear in the distance or them reporting my behavior to the cops.

scumdog
24th November 2003, 20:55
PZR, I take my hand off the handlebar to wave to anyone who lets me pass.
As a matter of interest, I have fitted to mini-spotlights on my sporty, one each side of the headlight and only run them in daylight. (they are those little ones that boy-racer types put in the front spoiler and have them so badly aimed they just annoy the pus out of anyboday coming towards them).
The difference to cage driver behaviour is amazing, did about 600k going to/from the Winchester rally and straight away slow vehicles pulled over a lot quicker, also if I was sitting out near the centre of the road waiting to pass the oncomming cars pulled to the left to make room and I ain't seen that happen before.
I guess I was just that much more visible.
BTW I followed my wife for about 200k while she drove her mums car and she said the lights were not annoying but certainly noticed them.

James Deuce
26th November 2003, 10:36
Since this post has appeared I've noticed that a lot more Wellington riders acknowledge me when I pull into the gutter to let them by in peak hour traffic.

Good work youse fellas and good thought mangell.

Jim2

marty
26th November 2003, 12:04
Originally posted by Timber020
I cut alot of traffic lines and am always careful to give a friendly wave to the cars, might be the difference between them watching me dissappear in the distance or them reporting my behavior to the cops.

and there is the MAIN reason that we should be nice to cagers (except wankers talking/txting on the phone and you think they've moved over, but in reality they're swerving cause they're not paying attention...then they swerve back just as you're next to the b pillar when they get a fright to see you there.......grrrr)

Slingshot
2nd December 2003, 18:26
I remember my days of being a "cage" driver, in fact I still am. I always pull over to the left and get really buzzed when I get a waive.
My thoughts are that if it'll make it safer for a biker to pass then I'm gonna pull over.

On the other hand, how about the whole waving to other bikers, I get really buzzed when I get a wave back too.
I'm never sure if I should wave at Harleys though:confused:

I think we should develop a KiwiBiker.co.nz wave, the sort of wave that other members of this forum would recognise so they knew they were waving at a fellow member.
It could be something along the lines of hitting your lid with your left hand then moving on into a big thumbs up:niceone: or something maybe a little less cheesy

What say ye all?

James Deuce
2nd December 2003, 18:41
Originally posted by Slingshot
I remember my days of being a "cage" driver, in fact I still am. I always pull over to the left and get really buzzed when I get a waive.
My thoughts are that if it'll make it safer for a biker to pass then I'm gonna pull over.

On the other hand, how about the whole waving to other bikers, I get really buzzed when I get a wave back too.
I'm never sure if I should wave at Harleys though:confused:

I think we should develop a KiwiBiker.co.nz wave, the sort of wave that other members of this forum would recognise so they knew they were waving at a fellow member.
It could be something along the lines of hitting your lid with your left hand then moving on into a big thumbs up:niceone: or something maybe a little less cheesy

What say ye all?

Dude!! Excellent idea :)

We should think up some alternate waves and then have a poll.

Jim2

Sheep Dags
3rd December 2003, 01:11
hahaha yea,

i always think just after waving at a rider and having him wave back, whether he's a fellow kiwibiker or not. it'd be pretty funny

MadDuck
10th December 2003, 20:27
Went down to Kopu to catch up with some mates and was interested to hear one said mates account.

Said last week while driving between Kopu and Paeroa he saw a bike behind him (in his 4wd cage) and decided to let biker past.

Biker gave him a wave and was the first time in his 30+ odd years of being alive....I had a wry smile and thought damn must be one of our KB bikers...keep up the good work. It does make a difference :D

.... now if we could convince the auckland drivers to be half as nice

STfella
10th December 2003, 21:01
Yep, I think it's always good to acknowledge consideration, though sometimes it's a little difficult. Particularly when you're lane splitting through the almost stationary traffic.

On the acknowlegement theme, in Europe I came across the practice of the foot wave. I understand that this is usually reserved for acknowledging courtesy of fellow bike riders. The overtaking rider lifts and extend the leg (on the side of the bike being overtaken), this says thank you for letting me pass. Has anyone seen that used in NZ.... or will I look stupid if I try it. Cage drivers please do not try this method of acknowlegement.

Timber020
10th December 2003, 21:13
Yeah I have seen it on dirtbikes, damn it makes sence rather than take your hands off the controls, lets start the foot wave movement on NZ roads! I will start with my ride to work tomorrow!

MadDuck
10th December 2003, 21:17
LMFAO @ foot wave!

I was thinking more of the uninitiated cage driver and showing that all bikers aint that bad despite the leathers. A wave would suffice as my mate was so impressed as to tell me the story. I told him to get used to it as the 500+ members on here are gonna all be doing it

A bit at a time :D besides lifting the leg is ...ummm showing what? You need a fart :gob:

STfella
10th December 2003, 21:17
Well, Timber020, we'll have at least two plonkers on the road then. One in Wellington and one in Auckland (or are you just having a JAFA on)?

Jackrat
10th December 2003, 21:25
The old leg wave is quite often used by British bike riders here.
I do it to warn riders behind me of my intension to brake or slow fast.The first time I saw it was when another Triumph rider was coming toward me when I was on me old Bonnie,Caught me by suprise a bit,As in FAR CANAL whats he doing.Worked it out but.
As for cars,I will mostly say thanks,a little bit goes a long way.
One thing I noticed when I first came back from OZ was cars an trucks here don,t indercate to let you know when to pass.
I drove a pilot vehicle over there and if somebody came up behind you it was common to flash your right indercator to let them know when it was safe to go.I had a bike siting behind me obviously waiting to get past, so as soon as the coast was clear I gave him a flash,He was obviously about to go anyway,but when I flashed him he jumped on the brakes big time,,Oops,I don,t do that now.So if ya,reading this mate,Sorry,,,Failure to communicate.:o

LB
11th December 2003, 05:06
I've found that on the open road trucks will sometimes flash their right indicator to let you know you can pass. I always toot-toot thank you to them. Hamish tells me off for waving as apparently I slow down slightly while I wave which isn't good for him as he usually follows me through. I didn't realise I slowed down.

If any of you guys commuting from Hutt to Wgtn pass a red Nissan Sentra hatch with a big "Shoei" sticker on the back window, it's me!!!! I don't recall seeing your bikes though.

We sometimes see Mangell6 in the mornings, and occasionally matt t in the evening.

riffer
11th December 2003, 06:55
I'll keep an eye out for you then Lynda.

I'm the blue and white FZR750. 7.20 - 7.45 Upper Hutt to Wellington

Coldkiwi
11th December 2003, 07:08
i've used the foot out signal before but rarely seen anyone else do it.

I agree about the trickiness of using hands while lane splitting, especially if the car is on your right. I usually try though unless i'm in a particular hurry (not uncommon!) or need to do a quick movement straight away

What?
11th December 2003, 09:25
Originally posted by Lynda Blair
apparently I slow down slightly while I wave which isn't good

Try waving with your LEFT hand.:p

Coldkiwi
11th December 2003, 11:05
Originally posted by marty
and there is the MAIN reason that we should be nice to cagers (except wankers talking/txting on the phone and you think they've moved over, but in reality they're swerving cause they're not paying attention...then they swerve back just as you're next to the b pillar when they get a fright to see you there.......grrrr)

man.. saw the chronic case of that last night. following a SsangYang (??) UAV onto the harbour bridge last night that was randomly swerving going round the corners.  I thought the driver must've been drunk or maybe one of those people we often sterotype on this site. When I finally get past him (very quickly in the next lane) I see he's a typical white businessman, with one hand on the wheel and the other hand busily punching away on his sodding phone! What a complete tosser. deserves a good kick in the door panel.

wkid_one
11th December 2003, 11:25
I think this should be a worse infringement than speeding imho.  At least when you are speeding - you are generally still attentive (if not more attentive) to your surroundings as you realise the increased danger of speeding (and tickets).  However when you are texting - you have no fucken idea what is going on around you. 

How many times to people almost walk in to one another on the foot path coz one is texting - translate to 50-100kph - my god - disasters waiting to happen.

That and the following are driving obstacles:

old men with hats
women in turbans,sariis and those indian jobbies
Any car with kids in the back seat
Any Courier Vehicle
Taxis and Buses (esp those laying fucken diesel - BASTARDS)
Any car with chromed alloys and/or an exhaust you could park your bike in and/or a stereo system you can hear with your helmet and ear plugs on and/or a drivers seat that appears bolted directly to the floor of the car
People who are smoking
Women drivers in the morning on their way to work (hair, make up etc)
ANYONE who has just come out of a drive thru!

STfella
11th December 2003, 12:03
Well Wkid_one,
Now that you've solved Auckland's traffic woes by getting rid of 80% of the tossers in cages, what are we going to do for sport? Isn't part of the fun feeling superior to them and second guessing what they are going to do?

STfella
11th December 2003, 12:07
Further to my last... I guess another part of the sport is slagging off at them, because they are "them" and we are superior.

Jackrat
11th December 2003, 13:02
Holy crap,Do you mean that when I,m cruising down the road in my diesel 4x4 ,wearing my flash as cowboy hat,Listening to Johnny Cash at full volume,With the kids in the back,all chewimg on Maca,s While I roll another smoke with me free hand,Then I,M ONE OF THEM.
Oh damn,Not me, Please not me.
<_< :whistle: :D

ManDownUnder
11th December 2003, 14:37
I have often thought there should be a couple&nbsp;of really basic signal that all motorists should be able to use.

1)"Hi" (a LH salute? bike to bike... or kiwibiker to kiwibiker...)

2) "Thanks" (The hand wave used when someone lets you into traffic?)

3) "Sorry" (LH doing something... I haven't worked this one out)

4) I apologise profusely - that was mind numbingly stupid and I promise to name my first born after you" (LH slapped onto forehead)

5) "What are yout Thinking?" (LH index finger taping on temple)

All need to involve the left hand for throttle reasons, and all should use the head for visibility reasons (i.e. cage drivers can use 'em too - let's face it - we're not all angels on two wheels... I think there are only 2 or 3 of us perfect ones.)

MDU

LB
11th December 2003, 18:01
Originally posted by What?
Try waving with your LEFT hand.:p

That's the problem....I DO wave with my left hand. Not sure why I slow down, Hamish (hubby) reckons it's cos I can only do one thing at a time (ie waving and riding are two things!)

inlinefour
17th January 2005, 02:18
Travelling home from Napier today, in the car where the driver and passenger were feeling :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:, we had a large number of bikes pass us. Now apart from being pissed that they could idle past us while we had to wait for a longer stretch of road to pass, we dutifully pulled to the extreme left of the road to allow the riders to safely pass. Usually done when they passed the car behind us.

And now for the real gripe
PR4DA - you are dangerous.
Overtaking a car as it comes into the corner, which is at the bottom of a small hill with a bridge being the corner and with no visiblility of on coming traffic does not endear the motorcycling fraternity to the poor car driver who came around the corner and had no where to go if you had even slightly misjudged anything. And I will only mention that you had a pillion as I don't know what they thought.

Just like truckies that pull over should get a thankyou wave or took, but people just dont give a stuff...