PDA

View Full Version : Ticketed for passing on double yellows

Sentox
6th August 2010, 16:30
Well, I copped a ticket for passing in the Manawatu gorge today. Leaving Palmerston, and got pulled over in Woodville.

The stupid part is that I assumed that operation centerline was still in effect, and basically just owned up to it. The cop mentioned at the end that someone had rung in and reported me instead. If I had denied it, or asked for proof, could a ticket still have been issued? Just wondering in hindsight.

Even better, this brings my demerits to 70, so it'll be a paranoid year and half from here on out :(

Techno
6th August 2010, 16:32
What's operation centerline?

cowboyz
6th August 2010, 16:51
bascially an operation that is concentrating on drivers crossing the centreline in the manawautu gorge which is double yellow the whole way through and notorious for drivers on the wrong side of the road.. You know.. what everyone keeps complaining about ??? Until of course some bike gets snapped for being on the wrong side of the road? even though there are very very few oppourtunities to pass safety even on a big bike let alone a 250.

I live about a k from the start of the gorge and its a magic piece of road on the very rare occasion you get a clear run through it. pay up the fine and next time.. stay on your side of the road. Ill be frikken annoyed if they close the road cause you stacked it into the front of a car that was inconviently driving on its side of the road cause you cant stay on your own side of the road.

Patrick
6th August 2010, 16:55
If I had denied it, or asked for proof, could a ticket still have been issued? Just wondering in hindsight.

Even better, this brings my demerits to 70, so it'll be a paranoid year and half from here on out :(

To answer your question, yes.

Doesn't take much for that remaining 30 points. Be good now.:innocent:

Sentox
6th August 2010, 17:22
even though there are very very few oppourtunities to pass safety even on a big bike let alone a 250.

There's a handful of places where, if you have the presence of mind to be scanning ahead, you'll easily be able to determine if there's enough space to conduct a safe, unhurried passing maneuver. If I was trying to pass at every blind corner, you might have a point, but that's not the case.

I live about a k from the start of the gorge and its a magic piece of road on the very rare occasion you get a clear run through it. pay up the fine and next time.. stay on your side of the road. Ill be frikken annoyed if they close the road cause you stacked it into the front of a car that was inconviently driving on its side of the road cause you cant stay on your own side of the road.

Quite frankly, if I stack it, your annoyance will be very, very low on my list of concerns. As I've admitted on this very forum before, in the past I've pushed my luck in the gorge, and I'm not proud of that. I've wised up since then, and I'm sure as hell not talking about carving people up here.

Placing myself in the other lane does not cause me to spontaneously combust. Staying within my lane does not make me magically safe. Paying attention to my riding and evaluating the road ahead might, on the other hand.

I broke the law, I got a ticket. No objections there, I made the choice.

To answer your question, yes.

Doesn't take much for that remaining 30 points. Be good now.:innocent:

Interesting, thanks. Hopefully I shouldn't run into any more trouble. I don't speed, so it rules out that source of demerits. Passing in the gorge is the only other place where I break any traffic law that I'm aware of, so it mostly boils down to "don't stuff up" for a while.

porky
6th August 2010, 20:52
man you got issues

you are a saint cause you dont speed, but ending up as a hood ornament is okay?

Stay on your side of the road, or fucken walk.

swbarnett
7th August 2010, 08:06
man you got issues

So you're saying we should never overtake? Have you not seen yellow lines in places where it's perfectly safe to pass? Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common.

Or is this just a case that I don't know the gorge and it's a lot tighter than I'm led to believe?

Usarka
7th August 2010, 08:11
And what happens when you get dobbed in by a "motorist" when you didn't actually cross the yellow lines?

probbly still get nailed.?

swbarnett
7th August 2010, 08:51
And what happens when you get dobbed in by a "motorist" when you didn't actually cross the yellow lines?

This is exactly why, as a member of a jury, I would never convict on the strength of one witenss alone.

crazyhorse
7th August 2010, 08:51

Excellent point...................... But I'd like a show of "hands up" for anyone who has passed in the gorge........?????

And yes, it is a tight windy road.

cowboyz
7th August 2010, 08:55
Excellent point...................... But I'd like a show of "hands up" for anyone who has passed in the gorge........?????

we are all law abiding citizens here!

davereid
7th August 2010, 09:00
Have you not seen yellow lines in places where it's perfectly safe to pass? Unfortunately this So you're sais becoming more and more common.

Yep, yellow lines USED to mean you can't pass here safely, as you view is obstructed.

Now they are part of "Traffic Calming".

So when you see a yellow line you can never be sure if it is there because there is a dip in the road concealing vehicles, or if a planner decided you didn't need to pass there.

So, its back to using your own judgement, just like it was before they painted an yellow lines.

Toaster
7th August 2010, 09:24
Yep, yellow lines USED to mean you can't pass here safely, as you view is obstructed.

Now they are part of "Traffic Calming".

So when you see a yellow line you can never be sure if it is there because there is a dip in the road concealing vehicles, or if a planner decided you didn't need to pass there.

So, its back to using your own judgement, just like it was before they painted an yellow lines.

Very true but the sad bit is risking a fine and demerits for using your own judgement despite of the law.

Its not a race out there and its cheaper and simply less hassle to obey the law. I am happy to take my time and get home in one piece and without unwanted fines.

MSTRS
7th August 2010, 10:51
So you're saying we should never overtake? Have you not seen yellow lines in places where it's perfectly safe to pass? Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common.

Or is this just a case that I don't know the gorge and it's a lot tighter than I'm led to believe?

Do you know the Hunua Gorge? That's sort of similar, although a lot narrower mostly.

pzkpfw
7th August 2010, 10:58
It's not a race out there and it's cheaper and simply less hassle to obey the law. I am happy to take my time and get home in one piece and without unwanted fines.

If I rode my bike in such a way that I never ever broke any law at all - I don't think I'd bother owning it in the first place.

May as well stay warm and dry, with Zeppelin on the CD player.

(It's all a balance. I'm not actually advocating riding on one wheel at 3,000 km/h over the dead bodies of nuns, either.)

Owl
7th August 2010, 12:58
Ill be frikken annoyed if they close the road cause you stacked it into the front of a car that was inconviently driving on its side of the road cause you cant stay on your own side of the road.

Ok, there's more to risk now than just your horse getting a headache in a head-on, but it was ok to pass there for 132 years:innocent:

Saddle Rd is far less boring anyway:D

swbarnett
7th August 2010, 14:37
Do you know the Hunua Gorge? That's sort of similar, although a lot narrower mostly.
Last rode it many years ago. Must get out there and have a look.

MSTRS
7th August 2010, 14:46
Last rode it many years ago. Must get out there and have a look.

Think Karangahake Gorge (Paeroa - Waihi)....but MUCH tighter. And a shitty surface.

Logpot
7th August 2010, 14:54
Saddle Rd is far less boring anyway:D

Agreed - less traffic :yeah:

FJRider
7th August 2010, 15:40
Well, I copped a ticket for passing in the Manawatu gorge today. Leaving Palmerston, and got pulled over in Woodville.

The cop mentioned at the end that someone had rung in and reported me instead. If I had denied it, or asked for proof, could a ticket still have been issued? Just wondering in hindsight.

Yes ... and if it went to court ... which it would do if you didn't pay the fine. The person who reported you, would have to go to court (from wherever they live) as a witness for the Police. And if they dont .... lack of evidence .... no case.

Considering where you were seen ... to where you were stopped, is quite a distance. Perhaps "next time" admit nothing ....

_Shrek_
7th August 2010, 19:23

Q/ 1 did you cross the the Yellow to pass? if yes pay the fine, if no fight it

you can pass as long as you don't go over the yellow line!!!

porky
7th August 2010, 20:19

My mate lost the love of his life on that stretch of road due to some fucktard on the wrong side. And yes before the yellows i would pass at every opportunity, as with the tukus. But things have changed, traffic volumes have increased, trucks are bigger yet these types of roads have remained the same. Its cheaper to paint yellow than build a dual carrage way.

Mom
7th August 2010, 20:24
Double yellow line painting man has made his way through out NZ. The placement of the double yellows used to be for safety these days the are used for?

Once upon a time when you saw double yellow lines you did not even think about overtaking for fear of your life, a fine came way down your thought processes.

The law says you can not overtake on double yellows, therefore you dont. There is a penalty to be paid if you do, and these days it is not just your life to be concerned about. Your bank balance is almost more at peril.

Certainly there are some areas that you should never overtake. I dont care how fast your bike is, or how skilled you are, or how available the gap seems to be to your "zoned in" eyes, you are tempting your maker and most likely pissing off George and Murtle out for their little drive, if you do overtake.

I think it is sad that we have reached the "its back to using your own judgement, just like it was before they painted an yellow lines" time, for it wont be long until we get hammered with even more draconian measures.

Can anyone see a business opportunity here? I am about to start up sewing red flags and recruiting people to walk in front of you when you attempt to negotaite our highways and byways. The charge for this will be payable by the following methods...

bogan
7th August 2010, 20:58

theres two long-ish straights in there where its fine to pass even on a 250, passed an ambo on my vt, he was none to pleased. Fuck em I reckon, just cos a shitbox 1.3l hatchback can't make a safe pass, nobody is allowed to. Number plate flipper is possibly a good mod to put on my list.

Yellow lines used to be in places to warn you that you don't have adequate vision etc, generally within 100m of a visual impairment iirc. Now they seem to put them anywhere where people are likely to pass in spaces under 300m sorta range.

ynot slow
7th August 2010, 21:23
A great bike road if -1)No trucks,campervans or trailers are in front prior to yellow lines,2)the road is dry,3)no nanas in cars braking every corner,4)it's daytime.

I would be keen to fight if I DIDN'T cross centreline and could prove it,but that's the hard bit proof.

And I have done this route since first week in Nov last year twice weekly,out of all those times probably less than 10 times has the road been such traffic wise or road condition that I have thought this is bliss,mostly it is f.cken bus,truck,rain,darkness,asian(yep)or car driver who has put a damper on it,have NEVER had a bike on my side,but the odd truck(no trailer whew) and car have been on my side.

Sentox
7th August 2010, 23:43
man you got issues

I'm sorry that your mate lost someone, but your reply is doing more than a little injustice to my original statement. I just said I don't speed (as a matter of habit), so I'm not likely to get demerits from that. Not sure how that translates to self-nomination for sainthood, but ok.

And I do love how some people seem to be implying some sort of moral outrage on my part. I broke a law, and did so knowing the consequences if I got caught. No arguments there. I was just wondering about the legal aspect of issuing a ticket on the say-so of a member of the public.

Still, when you can make a pass on a 250 without dropping a gear and still have time to indicate for a couple of seconds before merging back in, all with plenty of clear space in front of you...

Bren
8th August 2010, 10:34
I thought the only people that are allowed to pass on yellows are harley riders.....always see them passing on double yellows....Why dont you buy a harley???

riffer
8th August 2010, 10:43
I think a lot of you people are thinking this the wrong way.

The law does not say "you may not overtake on a yellow".
It simply says "you may not cross the centreline". The road code for motorcyclists quite specifically states that even where there are double lines, you may still pass, provided you DO NOT CROSS THE CENTRELINE.

So the obvious lesson here is:

If you can pass the vehicle ahead of you while staying in the same lane as them, then you may do so.

If you can't pass the vehicle ahead of you while staying in the same lane as them, then you may not.

I have used this technique for years. If it's safe to do so, you'd be amazed at the amount of cars that let you pass.

beyond
8th August 2010, 10:47

Yep and the Hunua Gorge is another place here if you know the road you can overtake safely at several points BUT double yellow lines all the way through. Nothng worse getting stuck behind some nana doing 25kmh all the way through.

OIh, I forgot, the cops hand out tickets to slow motorists hat hold other traffic up. :shutup:

beyond
8th August 2010, 10:50
If I rode my bike in such a way that I never ever broke any law at all - I don't think I'd bother owning it in the first place.

(It's all a balance. I'm not actually advocating riding on one wheel at 3,000 km/h over the dead bodies of nuns, either.)

:) Exactly. I reckon if everyone stuck to every law all the time, you may as well sell the bike buy a horse and be done with it. I'm not advocating senseless abandon here here either and don't believe using nuns as ripple strips as being the answer either :)

Toaster
8th August 2010, 10:50

I just ride at the speed limit over the nuns........

beyond
8th August 2010, 10:54
Double yellow line painting man has made his way through out NZ. The placement of the double yellows used to be for safety these days the are used for?

Once upon a time when you saw double yellow lines you did not even think about overtaking for fear of your life, a fine came way down your thought processes.

The law says you can not overtake on double yellows, therefore you dont. There is a penalty to be paid if you do, and these days it is not just your life to be concerned about. Your bank balance is almost more at peril.

Certainly there are some areas that you should never overtake. I dont care how fast your bike is, or how skilled you are, or how available the gap seems to be to your "zoned in" eyes, you are tempting your maker and most likely pissing off George and Murtle out for their little drive, if you do overtake.

I think it is sad that we have reached the "its back to using your own judgement, just like it was before they painted an yellow lines" time, for it wont be long until we get hammered with even more draconian measures.

Can anyone see a business opportunity here? I am about to start up sewing red flags and recruiting people to walk in front of you when you attempt to negotaite our highways and byways. The charge for this will be payable by the following methods...

The red flag sounds great. Remember when cars first came out and you need a perosn to walk in front with a lantern once dark, to warn other people of a vehicle approaching. The point of the car is??? 3-5kmh walking pace. DUH.

MSTRS
8th August 2010, 10:54
If you can pass the vehicle ahead of you while staying in the same lane as them, then you may do so.

I have used this technique for years. If it's safe to do so, you'd be amazed at the amount of cars that let you pass.

Hats off, to those thinking drivers. They are a ray of sunshine on a road like the Gorge.
But in reality, how many of them are out there? Most are either oblivious to those behind, or simply don't care. Also, most will rate the chances of overtaking based on their own ability/car's performance..."I c/w-ouldn't here - so no-one can. I don't need to make room."

beyond
8th August 2010, 10:56

It simply says "you may not cross the centreline". The road code for motorcyclists quite specifically states that even where there are double lines, you may still pass, provided you DO NOT CROSS THE CENTRELINE.

So the obvious lesson here is:

If you can't pass the vehicle ahead of you while staying in the same lane as them, then you may not.

Yeah but, when they don't move over they get highly pissed at losing wing mirrors :(

pzkpfw
8th August 2010, 11:09
I wonder how the driver phoned the cops.

Passenger did it?
Hands-free kit?
Pulled over somewhere?

Owl
8th August 2010, 12:24
Hats off, to those thinking drivers. They are a ray of sunshine on a road like the Gorge.
But in reality, how many of them are out there? Most are either oblivious to those behind, or simply don't care. Also, most will rate the chances of overtaking based on their own ability/car's performance..."I c/w-ouldn't here - so no-one can. I don't need to make room."

Had a 4X4 a couple of weeks ago move over in the gorge as I approached. Big thumbs up to him, but it is a rarity. Gave me another whole 90 seconds of entertainment before hitting the inevitable wall of traffic.:mellow:

ynot slow
8th August 2010, 13:36

Yep idiots in smallcars at 50km,braking every corner lol.

Last week probably had the same dude in 4x4 as Owl,he pulled over to let me passed,I sit behind through gorge,can't be bothered passing unless they pull over.

oldrider
8th August 2010, 13:50

True!

Perhaps we (motorcyclists) should be running a campaign of appreciation to motorists that it's OK not to hug the centre line and that it is appreciated when they move over to the left and allow us to pass in safety between them and the yellow line!

Of course it would help if we included a check on our own behaviour on how we care about other motorists rights and welfare around us!

Most other vehicle drivers tend to think that they are travelling at the maximum safe speed or are within the law and that for you to pass "them" means that you are at least riding recklessly!

Their perception is of course their reality and nothing will change that and they will take your overtaking them (safe or not) very personally!

Driver "righteous Indignation" is the reason why you were reported on *555 and naivety is why you "volunteered" for a ticket.

Physician, heal thy self! :mellow:

Kornholio
8th August 2010, 13:55

Passenger did it?
Hands-free kit?
Pulled over somewhere?

You can use *555 if you are driving... Asked a cop once about it and he said it was all good, theres a bit on it in the forums here somewhere...

pzkpfw
8th August 2010, 17:17
You can use *555 if you are driving... Asked a cop once about it and he said it was all good, theres a bit on it in the forums here somewhere...

Perfect example, thanks.

Sure, *555 while driving is "legal", but why is it "safe" when they are otherwise saying don't use your cell phone whole driving?

Sounds like a few yellow lines I've seen.

Max Preload
8th August 2010, 20:34
Perhaps "next time" admit nothing ....Sound advice.

The law says you can not overtake on double yellows, therefore you dont.

Let's just clarify this. You're allowed to overtake as long as you don't cross the yellow line (singular) ON YOUR SIDE. There doesn't have to be two yellow lines - the only one that applies to you is the one on YOUR side. The one on the other side applies to people travelling in the opposite direction.

Remember when cars first came out and you need a person to walk in front with a lantern once dark, to warn other people of a vehicle approaching.I'm sure that the implication that Mom is old enough to 'remember' that will have serious repercussions... :bash:

Kornholio
8th August 2010, 20:57
I'm sure that the implication that Mom is old enough to 'remember' that will have serious repercussions... :bash:

Did you just use 'Mom' and 'old' in the same sentence?... :spanking:

swbarnett
8th August 2010, 22:49
The red flag sounds great. Remember when cars first came out and you need a perosn to walk in front with a lantern once dark, to warn other people of a vehicle approaching. The point of the car is??? 3-5kmh walking pace. DUH.
Then there was the intersection procedure in one American state:

1. Stop the car
2. Get out of the car and walk to the intersection
3. Fire your shotgun
4. Wait 3 minutes for a responding shot. If you hear one start the procedure all over again.

(or something like that, I can't remember it exactly)

Berries
8th August 2010, 23:19
That's Gore you are talking about.

Max Preload
9th August 2010, 01:25
Did you just use 'Mom' and 'old' in the same sentence?... :spanking:Best I put my affairs in order.

Patrick
9th August 2010, 13:30
Interesting, thanks. Hopefully I shouldn't run into any more trouble. I don't speed, so it rules out that source of demerits. Passing in the gorge is the only other place where I break any traffic law that I'm aware of, so it mostly boils down to "don't stuff up" for a while.

Some new ones out there too... wrong or incorrectly displayed numberplate carries 25 points now. Puts paid to the flipper ones.....

Passenger did it?
Hands-free kit?
Pulled over somewhere?

Calling 111 or *555 is an exemption.

pzkpfw
9th August 2010, 13:36
Calling 111 or *555 is an exemption.

No kidding. See post #40.

miloking
20th October 2010, 02:33
Yes ... and if it went to court ... which it would do if you didn't pay the fine. The person who reported you, would have to go to court (from wherever they live) as a witness for the Police. And if they dont .... lack of evidence .... no case.

Considering where you were seen ... to where you were stopped, is quite a distance. Perhaps "next time" admit nothing ....

He can still admit nothing....fine doesnt mean he is guilty, he can still dispute it in court as long as its not paid already...