PDA

View Full Version : GSX550 ED Pre-89

White trash
8th August 2010, 08:21
Scored me an 83 GSX550 ED which I'm in the process of turning into a bit of a Robert Holden tribute bike.

Was anybody involved with or know modifications which were done on the original back in 83-84? I want to keep it as period as possible if I can.

Any info, specs, images, video footage or expertise very gratefully received.

Cheers
Jimmy

merv
8th August 2010, 10:52
Jimmy you've seen those few pics I got of Robert's bike at Lyall Bay, but do you know if the Onekawa Grand Prix was still going then and did he race it there? If so it may be worth me trawling through my bro's (RIP) albums as he got a lot of photos up there because he lived in the Bay.

Howie
8th August 2010, 11:05
Jimmy you've seen those few pics I got of Robert's bike at Lyall Bay, but do you know if the Onekawa Grand Prix was still going then and did he race it there? If so it may be worth me trawling through my bro's (RIP) albums as he got a lot of photos up there because he lived in the Bay.

Merv, the Onekawa GP was still going untill at least 1986 as I raced there in 85, and 86,

White trash
8th August 2010, 20:48

Hey mate. Yup, those photos were good as it confirmed my suspicions, the bike looked stock with some stickers added. Easy asthetics :) All images will be gratefully received though and if it's allright, I'd like to add them to the website when it's sorted?

Made some good progress on the bike today with its first testride. 26 years on, bikes have come a fucking long way lol.

Paul in NZ
9th August 2010, 12:21
Made some good progress on the bike today with its first testride. 26 years on, bikes have come a fucking long way lol.

That one came all the way from Japan for starters....

Was that the one on trademe Mr James?

Crasherfromwayback
9th August 2010, 12:36
Scored me an 83 GSX550 ED which I'm in the process of turning into a bit of a Robert Holden tribute bike.

Was anybody involved with or know modifications which were done on the original back in 83-84? I want to keep it as period as possible if I can.

Cheers
Jimmy

Hahaha...what a sick cunt! Come in and speak to ya mate!

White trash
9th August 2010, 14:10
That one came all the way from Japan for starters....

Was that the one on trademe Mr James?

It was the $1 on here mate. Apparently I beat you to it by a matter of seconds :D

Hahaha...what a sick cunt! Come in and speak to ya mate!

To coin the a phrase from a very famous has bean. "I'd rather eat cat shit with a knitting needle."

Paul in NZ
9th August 2010, 17:56
Drat. - what did it cost you?

There is a GS550 on there but something looks a bit wrong with it....

White trash
9th August 2010, 18:57
Drat. - what did it cost you?

There is a GS550 on there but something looks a bit wrong with it....

Fiddy bucks big fella, can't beat that shit.

Crasherfromwayback
9th August 2010, 21:07

I think $49.00 would've

Paul in NZ
10th August 2010, 06:10

You prick..... argh... good score that man!!!!

Jesus people on TM have some funny ideas what their piles of pooh are worth though..... sheesh...

White trash
11th August 2010, 12:29
You prick..... argh... good score that man!!!!

Jesus people on TM have some funny ideas what their piles of pooh are worth though..... sheesh...

Yeah it came with almost a complete spare bike with the exception of frame and rear wheel too. Spare motor has bent valve and a couple of dodgey bolts added to the cam hats, other than that it's sound as a pound.

There's some dreamers on there alright, some dude in Christchurch reckons his 1980 CB900 American import, requiring resto is worth 4 or 5 grand. Pfft. You can buy a mint GT750 Waterbottle outta the states for about 2-3K US now.

Deano
11th August 2010, 12:32
There's some dreamers on there alright, some dude in Christchurch reckons his 1980 CB900 American import, requiring resto is worth 4 or 5 grand. Pfft. You can buy a mint GT750 Waterbottle outta the states for about 2-3K US now.

Did you see the 07 Triumph 675 race bike, no spares for $17,5000 ?

Paul in NZ
11th August 2010, 12:37
I'll keep looking - they are out there....

Speaking of which - an epic collection of CX's?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-308033897.htm

codgyoleracer
18th August 2010, 10:14

Any info, specs, images, video footage or expertise very gratefully received.

Cheers
Jimmy

Remember to keep Roberts name in good stead by doing his trick of turning up at the track on anything with two wheels & being able to kick everyones arse on something that shouldnt win............ :-0

Paul in NZ
18th August 2010, 12:43
Remember to keep Roberts name in good stead by doing his trick of turning up at the track on anything with two wheels & being able to kick everyones arse on something that shouldnt win............ :-0

Oh dear - is that how that worked? sooo - what you are saying the usual trick of turning up on something that should win and not is not the right thing?

codgyoleracer
18th August 2010, 12:45
Oh dear - is that how that worked? sooo - what you are saying the usual trick of turning up on something that should win and not is not the right thing?

Nope, thats your quote not mine!......... :-)

sugilite
18th August 2010, 12:51
I read it as Robert had the skill to be able to win on bikes that were not viewed by most as being up to winning.

codgyoleracer
18th August 2010, 13:21
I read it as Robert had the skill to be able to win on bikes that were not viewed by most as being up to winning.

Stop Press: when didguys from the Wairarapa pick up reading skills ? :-), ..............btw , reece holmes left a few tyres for you at my place.

White trash
18th August 2010, 19:05

I said tribute bike, not tribute rider. It's got TSCC though and full floater so it'll probably kick your arse old man....... :)

325rocket
18th August 2010, 20:07

FOOL!

i would have paid you to take it haha.

Glad youre happy with it

sugilite
19th August 2010, 09:09
Stop Press: when didguys from the Wairarapa pick up reading skills ? :-), ..............btw , reece holmes left a few tyres for you at my place.

Since ma sister wife taught me and ma brother uncle!

scracha
24th August 2010, 19:33
Dear Jimmy,

Please lie and ride it in pre82 as I am now very worried about being raped by a shite old Suzuki.

Yours
Steevie

White trash
25th August 2010, 14:12
Dear Jimmy,

Please lie and ride it in pre82 as I am now very worried about being raped by a shite old Suzuki.

Yours
Steevie

Lol. I think you're selling yourself a bit short there mate, you're riding really well at the moment and apart from that fact. FrakenCane has more power, better chassis, better wheel/tyre sizes, FAR better brakes and is a shitload faster. Pretty sure you've nothing to worry about.

I am, however, halfway through building a fucken mean exhaust for it.

Rcktfsh
25th August 2010, 15:31

Cheers
Jimmy

The Junior Production class one or the F2 alchy burning one he raced that year?

Rcktfsh
28th August 2010, 08:33
You should talk to Eddie Kattenburg who along with Bob Toomey was his team mate that year racing the 550 & 1135 or Brian Ward who worked at WMMC & raced the F2 550 the following season. PM me if you want contact numbers.

White trash
27th September 2010, 15:41
You should talk to Eddie Kattenburg who along with Bob Toomey was his team mate that year racing the 550 & 1135 or Brian Ward who worked at WMMC & raced the F2 550 the following season. PM me if you want contact numbers.

Only just seen this, PM sent. Cheers man.

White trash
27th September 2010, 15:41
So Drew needed to borrow his own RF to get up to Feilding to see a man about a dog or some shit which meant I was motivated to find another way to get to work this morning.

The only vaguley roadworthy bike other than the RF is of course my GSX550ED Pre-89 project. So we spent Friday night and Saturday carefully piecing it back together and generally making it run right (better).

Took it for a test ride in the shit weather on Friday night before I'd had a chance to sort the brakes out and Holy Shit! This thing actually has a bit of beans. Saturday was spent sorting brakes, adding indicators and other important stuff for commuting.

Shot down to the pub on it with Drew in hot pusuit on the RF. I am honestly quite astounded at what a cool bike it is to ride. 16 inch fromt wheel makes the 90 degree turns around home so fricken easy that the poor old RF is left wallowing in the wake of the skinny little GSX. Bike is comfortable, smooth and more importantly a little bit fast. Still have a couple of little fueling issues to sort but other than that it's quite good out of the box.

Roll on Wanganui You're fuckin dead Stevie

Crasherfromwayback
27th September 2010, 16:15

I am honestly quite astounded at what a cool bike it is to ride. 16 inch fromt wheel makes the 90 degree turns around home so fricken easy that the poor old RF is left wallowing in the wake of the skinny little GSX. Bike is comfortable, smooth and more importantly a little bit fast. Still have a couple of little fueling issues to sort but other than that it's quite good out of the box.

Roll on Wanganui You're fuckin dead Stevie

You still pissed mate?

White trash
28th September 2010, 08:13
You still pissed mate?

You're a fucken hard bloke to stay sober around, that's for sure. Somehow I managed it.

For some fucked up reason this bike holds the same intrigue to me as VMX does to you. Although, your RM would probably smash it :D

Crasherfromwayback
28th September 2010, 08:23
You're a fucken hard bloke to stay sober around, that's for sure. Somehow I managed it.

For some fucked up reason this bike holds the same intrigue to me as VMX does to you. Although, your RM would probably smash it :D

I stayed sober too. NOT.

VMX you say? Hah...just purchased another Red Rocket...check this puppy out...still the original tyres and all...219731

White trash
28th September 2010, 11:08
It's a shame you had to go and ruin a perfectly good friendship by getting all gay and buying Hondas....... Oh wait, I've got one too.........

White trash
4th October 2010, 10:07
OK. So after a bit of a compression bump and various other little tricks, we now have the bike making what we consider to be acceptable power for the 2.15 Inch wide rear wheel to handle at the streets. Unfortunately, the stock clutch has told us to get fucked and tosses its toys anywhere from 1/3rd throttle & 6000rpm. So that's gotta be sorted.

Other than that, it's some suspension modifications, new tyres and this puppy's ready to rock and roll.

Sum total speant thus far.

Bike = $50.00
New Battery = $80.00
New brake pads = $80.00
Bolts and other shit = $5.00
Oil and filter = $45.00

Total = $260.00

Is there a prize for the least expensive bike on the grid?

bistard
4th October 2010, 12:02
OK. So after a bit of a compression bump and
various other little tricks, we now have the bike making what we consider to be acceptable power for the 2.15 Inch wide rear wheel to handle at the streets. Unfortunately, the stock clutch has told us to get fucked and tosses its toys anywhere from 1/3rd throttle & 6000rpm. So that's gotta be sorted.

Other than that, it's some suspension modifications, new tyres and this puppy's ready to rock and roll.

Bike = $50.00
New Battery = $80.00
New brake pads = $80.00
Oil and filter = $45.00

Total = $260.00

Hey there Trashy,you might have to keep your eye out for a ZXR400 n the Pre 89
class
What meetings are you hoping to do??
Bistard

slowpoke
4th October 2010, 12:28
OK. So after a bit of a compression bump and various other little tricks, we now have the bike making what we consider to be acceptable power for the 2.15 Inch wide rear wheel to handle at the streets. Unfortunately, the stock clutch has told us to get fucked and tosses its toys anywhere from 1/3rd throttle & 6000rpm. So that's gotta be sorted.

Bike = $50.00
New Battery = $80.00
New brake pads = $80.00
Oil and filter = $45.00

Total = $260.00

I reckon it'll actually be more fun 'round Wanga's than a Superbike too. Has it got a zorst? We'll probably hear you giggling like Michael Jackson on a school bus as you go 'round.

White trash
4th October 2010, 12:48
Hey there Trashy,you might have to keep your eye out for a ZXR400 n the Pre 89
class
What meetings are you hoping to do??
Bistard

Hey dude! Did you just price some tyres for Pete? Hoping to do Wanganui but it'll be tough with 4 kids in tow. We'll see though.

We're aiming to have the bike complete and safely on the track for under $700.

Crasherfromwayback
4th October 2010, 12:51
Hey dude! Did you just price some tyres for Pete? Hoping to do Wanganui but it'll be tough with 4 kids in tow. We'll see though.

We're aiming to have the bike complete and safely on the track for under $700.

Nah...that was Geoff. Barry's come over to the dark side now and has joined me in sales.

White trash
4th October 2010, 12:56
Nah...that was Geoff. Barry's come over to the dark side now and has joined me in sales.

Perhaps you cunts should do some work then?

Crasherfromwayback
4th October 2010, 12:59
Perhaps you cunts should do some work then?

Why change now?

White trash
4th October 2010, 14:05
I reckon it'll actually be more fun 'round Wanga's than a Superbike too. Has it got a zorst? We'll probably hear you giggling like Michael Jackson on a school bus as you go 'round.

Can't be fucken worse than the last time I raced there on a Superbike, that's for sure.

You'be be hard pressed to hear anything over the camchain rattle to be perfectly honest. We've been working hard to ensure the thing's oiltight and not likely to spew or rupture. Drew's still got to fashion a zorst that's better looking than the horible fucking Cycleworks one it's currently blessed with.

DEATH_INC.
4th October 2010, 14:41
Drew's still got to fashion a zorst that's better looking than the horible fucking Cycleworks one it's currently blessed with.
You're riding a farkin GSX550 and you're worried about what the exhaust looks like :facepalm:

And what's with the new brake pads? Couldn't you get some s/hand?

White trash
4th October 2010, 15:18
You're riding a farkin GSX550 and you're worried about what the exhaust looks like :facepalm:

And what's with the new brake pads? Couldn't you get some s/hand?

Wanna be able to slow down enough that I don't crash into them pesky ZX10s wobbling around the place.........

slowpoke
4th October 2010, 15:53
You'be be hard pressed to hear anything over the camchain rattle to be perfectly honest.

That's Suzuki's version of variable valve timing.

Kickaha
4th October 2010, 16:52
the stock clutch has told us to get fucked and tosses its toys anywhere from 1/3rd throttle & 6000rpm. So that's gotta be sorted.

Pull the plates and measure the fibres if they're within spec check the steels for warping and if they're ok get them sand/bead blasted, measure the springs for spec as well, if they're ok put it back together otherwise after market springs are bugger all

The LC was on the grid at Wangas for $1000, looks like you'll beat that

DEATH_INC.
4th October 2010, 17:19
Wanna be able to slow down enough that I don't crash into them pesky ZX10s wobbling around the place.........
Don't worry, I usually slide right off the track.
As for the clutch, the cheap fix is usually just stick another steel in there.

White trash
12th October 2010, 15:34
Whoops. Just smashed the fuck outta the budget by buying a new fairing from Canada for 150 bucks. Lined up a brand spanking R/H sidecover and tail section in Israel of all places for the sum total of USD104 shipped so I'm pretty happy about that.

Still seeking that elusive L/H side cover in Blue and white if anyone sees one.

Pirelli Sport Demons on it next week, Thursday night ride this week for a shakedown and to silence a couple of smartarses.

Had hoped to enter the Post Classic GP at the end of the month but alas I've overspent.

codgyoleracer
5th November 2010, 08:08
Whoops. Just smashed the fuck outta the budget by buying a new fairing from Canada for 150 bucks. Lined up a brand spanking R/H sidecover and tail section in Israel of all places for the sum total of USD104 shipped so I'm pretty happy about that.

Still seeking that elusive L/H side cover in Blue and white if anyone sees one.

Pirelli Sport Demons on it next week, Thursday night ride this week for a shakedown and to silence a couple of smartarses.

Had hoped to enter the Post Classic GP at the end of the month but alas I've overspent.

Well ?

Did the dust cover come off ?, Did the ZX10's hold you up ?, or did you simply sit down with lad and have a game of snakes & ladders ?

White trash
5th November 2010, 08:34
Well ?

Did the dust cover come off ?, Did the ZX10's hold you up ?, or did you simply sit down with lad and have a game of snakes & ladders ?

Funny you should say that Codgy Ole Mr Williams. I didn't bother fitting the tyres. Or the fork seals. And ended up having a fuckin cool ride with the esteemed Mr Wintle on his R1 last night heading North and then a fucken frantic hoon south chasing a CBR6. Ineterstingly, neither could shake the Fifty Dollar GSX.

Post classic bikes are fucking hilarious amongst sports bikes I've decided so I'm buying another one :D

codgyoleracer
5th November 2010, 10:04
Good to hear that Binty made it to a destination & back unscathed for a change on the R1. It is surprising who gets upset at 20 year old shitters hanging onto coat-tails of the latest rockets :-)

White trash
5th November 2010, 10:10
Good to hear that Binty made it to a destination & back unscathed for a change on the R1. It is surprising who gets upset at 20 year old shitters hanging onto coat-tails of the latest rockets :-)

Yeah, we all had a good laugh about how much we've all slowed down in our old age and how trips in ambulances tend to have that effect. Was bloody good to ride with "Binty" actually, never had the pleasure previously.

I love riding the thing that much I'm looking for another one actually. One that all the oil hopefully wont fall out of if you park it on the side stand :D