PDA

View Full Version : Long term bike storage: Success!

shafty
10th August 2010, 21:22
For anyone who might be interested, I fired up our 2 bikes today after them sitting idle for a year.

We were off overseas for a 2 year stint - we are home on vacation half way thru, now, so took some precautions to ensure our ve-hickles would be Good-to-go when we returned to GodZone.

I'm stoked the steps I took worked so well.

Firstly a big thumbs up to Deltran Battery Tenders. I bought 2 double units, one for the 2 Toyota's and one for the 2 bikes - a VT750 and ST1300.

Secondly, I filled the gas tanks to he brim after adding a recommended dose of Yamalube Fuel Conditioner and Stabiliser - obtained from a Marine Shop.

So all good in theory til the big 'crank up day'.

I fired up the cars last week - no hesitation at all, the batteries were all fired up and rearing to go. One deflated tyre on the Camry was quickly changed, all gud.

Today I started the bikes. The VT (Carby bike) needed choke (understandable as its pretty cold here in the Central NI) it cranked hard and then fired no problem.

The ST with fuel injection just plain fired up! - instantly.

From memory the double unit Battery tenders were around $180 each. They come with a pair of harnesses which are hooked up to the bike battery, terminating in a 2 pin plug which I just cable tied to the bike frame.

This in turn plugs into a lead from the Tender. You can get long leads too - several metres.

Also supplied are traditional alligator type leads for charging/ maintaining of other vehicle batteries.

Bloody brilliant. At less that the cost of the batteries they maintain - and transferable to the next bike and the next, why wouldn't ya get one?

The Yamalube wasn't cheap, but worth not having to piss around with gummed up carbies etc etc.

Recommended! :yes:

Gremlin
11th August 2010, 00:41
Not surprised, Damn hondas. Bosses blackbird and hornet sit for months sometimes, no tender and fire straight up. Quite disgusting I tell ya!

rie
11th August 2010, 13:46
I didn't realise you could get one battery tender for two vehicles. Getting two for 4 vehicles makes sense, but do you suppose there such a thing for three vehicles?

shafty
13th August 2010, 06:00
I didn't realise you could get one battery tender for two vehicles. Getting two for 4 vehicles makes sense, but do you suppose there such a thing for three vehicles?

Have a search on "Deltran Battery Tender" maybe, but from memory it goes from a 'double' set-upto a multi (6?) unit for professional use....

sinfull
13th August 2010, 07:13
Good stuff !

A week to fire the bikes up ? whey hey hey someone's feeling the cold !

shafty
13th August 2010, 07:26
Good stuff !

A week to fire the bikes up ? whey hey hey someone's feeling the cold !

Yeah, well...........lol

The first week was visiting Rellies, then doing chores, washing the house etc etc.....

Next is new tyres from DPC, then awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to try out the new Rev'it and Lid!

sinfull
13th August 2010, 07:54
Yeah, well...........lol

The first week was visiting Rellies, then doing chores, washing the house etc etc.....

Next is new tyres from DPC, then awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to try out the new Rev'it and Lid!

Well not being one who can talk "so to speak" lol (been near 8 weeks since my new rubber was fitted) done hmmm prolly 400 measley k's since the 1st june, which reminds me, it's due for another Oil and filter !

My biggest issue is, Due to parking in the bedroom beside the fire (ya like that battery minder) is the amount of mud that once used to be my lawn ! Guess thats what ya get for being lazy and having ya lawns Moooo'd, it's like i was all crossed up when i hit the ramp last time i rode on to the deck, friggin dodgy when the bars and pegs only just fit through the posts lol

New gear aye Pete, nice job ya scored over in the desert then ? The Rev'it would have been cheap i bet, not much call for thermal gear in them parts lol
Can't find a good lid to fit my egotestical scone for the life of me !

Movistar
13th August 2010, 20:45
You'll be glad to be home with the magnificent spell of glorious weather we're having :whistle:

Planned on heading down to Manfield tomorrow to catch Round 4 of the winter series, something tells me it's gonna be a better day to be indoors!

Good to hear all's well with the machines - you'll be keen to get some winding roads in for a change won't ya?