PDA

View Full Version : Wanting info changing KTM 640 Supermoto exhaust

bimotabob
12th August 2010, 21:47
HI,

Is their anyone with any knowledge about the KTM 640 Series - esp the supermoto?
I have been researching exhausts on the net but finding someone familiar with KTM's would be much better - I get the feeling the level of parts interchangeability with these KTM's is all good.

I just brought a 2002 Supermoto and the first owner has fitted a Sebring duel titanium muffler, stainless exhaust system and not brought the stock exhaust over with him from Europe.

I'm not really into dual race exhausts and would rather have a single muffler, perhaps an aftermarket or one of the performance ones KTM makes instead.
Don't mind more noise than stock and don't want a pre muffler mid section like it may have had originally.

The reason is only partially noise and mainly because the stock side covers are made so the left one sticks out wider to clear the muffler so on mine it looks wrong having the right one so close to the cover - it hasn't melted but it's not a good thing (I'm very fussy)
Is their a different R/H cover available to sort that issue?
The other small but annoying problem is that the right muffler at full rear shock travel touches the chain guard although it does allow for pillion pegs thankfully (for emergency's only of course)
I guess my issues are because the exhaust is for race bikes I want someone more akin to road riding.

What's my best option - do i hunt for stock headers, mid and then work out what sort of muffler i want - or do i hunt for a complete aftermarket exhaust and if so what would be recommended?

I will probably sell the system I have and at least it will offset the costs what ever they may be.
It goes okay, someone has removed the air box snorkel and possible enlarged the inlet hole.

Any help will be really appreciated as I'm keen to sort this out asap.

Cheers
Jason