PDA

View Full Version : Ride on a new R 1200 GS

Big Dave
16th August 2010, 15:00
http://kiwiridermagazine.blogspot.com/2010/08/r-1200-gs-ridden.html

Taz
16th August 2010, 17:47
Watched that whole video and no footage of us coming the other way :angry: :)

Big Dave
16th August 2010, 17:59
Watched that whole video and no footage of us coming the other way :angry: :)

It started raining moderately on top of the hill so I took the camera off - stopped raining immediately after of course.

AllanB
16th August 2010, 18:25
UGGGG

Is there a BMW optional leg extension to enable me to get aboard or maybe a fold down step like some of the 4WD's have?

Now it's just my opinion ......... but if I was heading a bit 'bush' in NZ I'm really not that far away from a town, pub or sealed road, consequently I'd prefer all the crap off the bike so I could actually enjoy the trail. It is not really 'long way round' country here so I'd shell out the cost of a small car less and get a DR650 or similar.

Or have I missed the point - with the GS is the plan to actually make your own trail and just bulldoze down anything in your way.

Taz
16th August 2010, 18:34
What is your definition of a bit bush Allanb?

That looks like fun
16th August 2010, 19:02
What is your definition of a bit bush Allanb?

A bad shave perhaps :shifty:

Big Dave
16th August 2010, 19:30
Very desirable, great all-round motorcycle. Fast enough on any road, comfortable and very sure footed. Leading edge tech. Premium price.

AllanB
17th August 2010, 10:23
But don't you think with all the electronics etc they are now beyond 'fixing' to limp home if you dump them in the middle of a bush (haha dump in a bush).

Sign of the times I guess but I still remember the very first GS - now that was a basic bike!

warewolf
17th August 2010, 13:32
That's not exactly a point of difference for the GS. Every bike in the class is going more electronic.

Big Dave
17th August 2010, 14:24
I guess but I still remember the very first GS - now that was a basic bike!

And it marked a period of 'staidness' in their overall designs that saw them fall to the bottom of the sales heap. Plenty of tech but not much bling.

They got a new CEO and went through a 're-invention' 5 years ago and the vehicles are now quite special.

They are expensive but I reckon you get what you pay for with all the units I've tested.

Value judgements are up to the individual.

Personally - I think fuel gauges are ghey, got no uses for windscreens, GPS or mobile phone jacks. Motor, wheels, seat and handlebars do me. But lots of people like 'farkles' - certainly the vast majority of ADV types it seems - and the GS is prefab killafarkled and it all works pretty good.

That looks like fun
17th August 2010, 17:06
If you don't like electronics etc then stick with the older "more reliable" (insert Tui add here) bikes. If you just don't like BMW's then don't buy one :shifty:
Any bike that breaks down in the bush is a pain in the painful thing:shit:. Fortunately as freedom of choice exists (only just :shutup: ) we are allowed to ride whatever we want to get stuck in the bush on :yes: (And we are also allowed to slag off other makes even orange ones and red ones or rainbow coloured ones. Excepts when big fellas ride them and then its not ok :blink: ok :innocent:)

AllanB
17th August 2010, 17:23
Rainbow coloured ones ....................

OK I may have sounded a bit harsh. I can easily see them as a trans-continent machine. But 4 hours or less on a bike in NZ and you can go ocean to ocean!

Probably irrelevant anyway - I'd be to anal to get it dirty if I owned one!

And those GS guys piss me off when I'm on my bike giving it some stick on the hills, me thinking I'm doing well, all huckered down over the tank, with sweat on my brow and some bugger on a 300kg trail bike passes me with his flip-face-helmet open sipping a cup of coffee held in his left hand :bye: I mean really - they don't even wave!

Gremlin
18th August 2010, 00:38
But 4 hours or less on a bike in NZ and you can go ocean to ocean!
Must be doing something wrong... 22 hours of riding (or 27 over 2 days) and I didn't end up in the ocean... must be going in circles :innocent:

I'm surprised to see myself say this, but I think it has a little too much tech (3 computers... 3x times the trouble), and is a damn big bike for the vast majority of road riding I do (need it to be a bit more nimble).

Country wide support is also a bit of a concern, I can only think of Auckland and Wellington that have properly kitted out workshops? Is McIver and Veitch one, any more?

Devil
18th August 2010, 10:36
I'm surprised to see myself say this, but I think it has a little too much tech (3 computers... 3x times the trouble), and is a damn big bike for the vast majority of road riding I do (need it to be a bit more nimble).

Eh? The standard GS is what, 10-15kg heavier than your bike? and thats made up with mostly petrol!

Can you fix YOUR bikes electronics? :innocent:

Nimble is not a problem on a GS. They're as nimble as a nimble thing.

george formby
18th August 2010, 11:00
I've scratched a hole in the side of my head figuring this out, I consider the GS, Super10 etc to be too lardy & complicated for adventure riding but....... They are all about getting somewhere, capably & comfortably, the challenge is riding such a big bike in marginal conditions & staying right way up. So I guess for this they are the dogs danglies.
My own perception of adventure riding is using the terrain to have fun, pop some little wheelies, do a few power slides on the gravel, generally be a larrikin. I'm testically under sized to do this on something as big as a GS so never really got the point until my finger went through my cranium.
I get it now. If you want the road less travelled, a GS. If you want to play, a middle weight.:yes:

clint640
18th August 2010, 11:30
I get it now. If you want the road less travelled, a GS. If you want to play, a middle weight.:yes:

...& if you want to play AND do the road less travelled get a middleweight. Or get freakish riding skillz (I hate those people too :laugh:)

Clint

BMWST?
18th August 2010, 11:54
...& if you want to play AND do the road less travelled get a middleweight. Or get freakish riding skillz (I hate those people too :laugh:)

Clint
you guys got it just a little bit wrong....ROADS.Thats the gs any ROAD .And they can be a little bit of everything too

Eddieb
18th August 2010, 12:28
You can get a little bit marginal on a GS, I've had mine airborne a couple of times but I think it would take more abuse than I'm comfortable in giving to wheelie the thing. They are superbly balanced so better than you might expect in more marginal stuff but yes there's definately a point where the weight becomes a restricting factor.

marks
18th August 2010, 12:36
Every bike in the class is going more electronic.

which is a bit sad in someways

it almost seems like each bit of tinsel you add removes a tiny bit of the 'rawness' that makes motorcycling what it is.

I like knowing I got around the corner because I did the right things rather than the bike stopping me from doing the wrong things

to each their own

Oscar
18th August 2010, 12:55

it almost seems like each bit of tinsel you add removes a tiny bit of the 'rawness' that makes motorcycling what it is.

I like knowing I got around the corner because I did the right things rather than the bike stopping me from doing the wrong things

to each their own

I agree.
I love motorcycles 'cause they are accessible technology - you could fix or tinker them (or used to able to) and the wizzy bits are right there in the open where you can see them.

Gremlin
18th August 2010, 13:04
Eh? The standard GS is what, 10-15kg heavier than your bike? and thats made up with mostly petrol!

Can you fix YOUR bikes electronics? :innocent:

Nimble is not a problem on a GS. They're as nimble as a nimble thing.
Ok, so the standard is lighter... except you lose 50% of the fuel tank.

No, I can't fix my electronics, hell, I don't change oil :bleh: BUT there are at least 3 dealers in the South Island that work on KTM. The BMW has 3x the computers, that's 3 times the potential problems.

The tyre sizes are also annoying... 120/70/17 and 180/55/17 have heaps of options, but I guess the beemer is more dirt orientated than I want.

dino3310
18th August 2010, 14:27
I agree.
I love motorcycles 'cause they are accessible technology - you could fix or tinker them (or used to able to) and the wizzy bits are right there in the open where you can see them.

yep agreed here too.
The XR is as complecated as i handle:shit: and it dont even have a fuse never mind a battery and shit :lol:

warewolf
18th August 2010, 15:31

it almost seems like each bit of tinsel you add removes a tiny bit of the 'rawness' that makes motorcycling what it is.Agree; 'rawness' good word. :yes: I think that's why I'm not particularly enamoured with GPSs. Also, I like responsive, lively bikes rather than armchairs. Couple of years ago we hired an R1150GS for a two-up tour in Aussie. There was a huge disconnect between the road & the rider, particularly from the front end - somewhat disconcerting. It felt more like an appliance than a bike.

warewolf
18th August 2010, 15:33
BUT there are at least 3 dealers in the South Island that work on KTM.There's probably that many BMW dealers, too. 'Parts & Service Agents' they are called; Thunderbike in Nelson is one.

The BMW has 3x the computers, that's 3 times the potential problems.And how many problems do those computers make go away?

Gremlin
18th August 2010, 16:39
And how many problems do those computers make go away?
If its dealt with it... its not a problem... so you never know :yes:

Still... when you can power a fridge off the electrical system, you know it should be able to handle a few extras like GPS :D

trustme
18th August 2010, 17:15

to each their own

You need a Scrambler :laugh::laugh:

I had one of the original R80gs'ss before they were fashionable, people used to say , 'why?'.
To most it was neither fish nor fowl, but it was ahead of it's time.
The new Beemers leave me cold , maybe detached is a better term.

Edit
Then again, hit a few decent bumps & i wish my retina's were still Attached

marks
18th August 2010, 18:23
Agree; 'rawness' good word. :yes: I think that's why I'm not particularly enamoured with GPSs. Also, I like responsive, lively bikes rather than armchairs. Couple of years ago we hired an R1150GS for a two-up tour in Aussie. There was a huge disconnect between the road & the rider, particularly from the front end - somewhat disconcerting. It felt more like an appliance than a bike.

you could argue that the klr is a smaller unresponsive armchair but it makes up for it by its 'modern bsa single' feel. Its honest low-techness appeals to me the way a 'fully featured' bigger bike never will

You need a Scrambler :laugh::laugh:

I spent a great weekend in Nelson/Golden Bay on a Scrambler - what a magic bike - once some decent shocks have been fitted - BUT my klr is more versatile, has better weather protection and has a better ride so it wasn't to be. I secretly lust after a Thruxton - but I won't admit to that here

gammaguy
18th August 2010, 18:32
Rainbow coloured ones ....................

OK I may have sounded a bit harsh. I can easily see them as a trans-continent machine. But 4 hours or less on a bike in NZ and you can go ocean to ocean!

Probably irrelevant anyway - I'd be to anal to get it dirty if I owned one!

And those GS guys piss me off when I'm on my bike giving it some stick on the hills, me thinking I'm doing well, all huckered down over the tank, with sweat on my brow and some bugger on a 300kg trail bike passes me with his flip-face-helmet open sipping a cup of coffee held in his left hand :bye: I mean really - they don't even wave!

erm----please explain how one waves with one hand,whiile simultaneously holding a cup of coffee in the other AND piloting an oversized trail bike past some hapless tarmac dwelling japinlinefour??

answers on a postcard please .......

Big Dave
18th August 2010, 19:39
I consider the GS, Super10 etc to be too lardy & complicated for adventure riding but..

...it really depends on who is riding it.

I would happily do the Capital coast on one with TKCs fitted. To me it isn''t a big bike.

That looks like fun
18th August 2010, 19:56
erm----please explain how one waves with one hand,whiile simultaneously holding a cup of coffee in the other AND piloting an oversized trail bike past some hapless tarmac dwelling japinlinefour??

Balls :yes: biguns :shifty:

AllanB
18th August 2010, 19:58

Well I understood that the third computer was actually a hi-tech autopilot to allow the Beemer rider to have both hands free so they can change the Blueray (DVD is too low-tech) movie their passenger is watching. Thus surely the right hand wave could apply.

reofix
18th August 2010, 20:12
two capital coasts .... all the challengey bits (08 was tough though)
mangatapu,pokira,rainbow , nevis ... alone and loaded
60k with only a couple of offs.. low speed overconfidence :innocent:
its love alright!

NordieBoy
18th August 2010, 21:48

Throttle lock.

Taz
19th August 2010, 17:10
but I guess the beemer is more dirt orientated than I want.

Wow never thought I'd hear someone say the beemer is too dirt orientated!!. Basically a road bike (sealed Gravel etc are still all roads) but a comfortable, superior all roads bike to everything out there IMO. 2 up touring over any surface and this would be my bike of choice provided I could afford one. Luckily the value drops like a stone in a couple of years and makes good 2nd hand ones (any thing up to 150,000kms) more affordable for tight arses like me.

Gremlin
19th August 2010, 18:07
Wow never thought I'd hear someone say the beemer is too dirt orientated!!.
Vast majority of the roads I do are sealed (as in, 95%? if not more), but rapid long distance, so 17" (120/70/17 and 180/55/17) wheels suit me, wide range of rubber, but the bike is fast steering, making mincemeat out of the countless corners.

Weapon of choice? KTM 990 Supermoto (but urr... modded :shifty:). Under 200kg, still 1L, luggage etc, but eats the full dressed tourers through the corners. The BMW is an option, but a bit heavy and LARGE, as in, with no panniers its half as wide as a car. 33L tank is very appealing tho. SM has a 19L, plus an extra marine 11.5L tank on the back seat. Same on the BMW could give you around 45L :drool:

warewolf
19th August 2010, 19:30
Round peg, square hole.

Devil
20th August 2010, 10:47
Vast majority of the roads I do are sealed (as in, 95%? if not more), but rapid long distance, so 17" (120/70/17 and 180/55/17) wheels suit me, wide range of rubber, but the bike is fast steering, making mincemeat out of the countless corners.

Weapon of choice? KTM 990 Supermoto (but urr... modded :shifty:). Under 200kg, still 1L, luggage etc, but eats the full dressed tourers through the corners. The BMW is an option, but a bit heavy and LARGE, as in, with no panniers its half as wide as a car. 33L tank is very appealing tho. SM has a 19L, plus an extra marine 11.5L tank on the back seat. Same on the BMW could give you around 45L :drool:
Heh, remember we're talking about the standard gs here, it appears a whole lot less bulky than my Adventure.
Your SM is 195kg or so with no gas, so 215 or so with? A standard GS is about 229kg with 20L of gas on board.

Bet you you'd go further on the beemer even at high speed!

Pfft, tyre choice, there's plenty out there that'll do the job in the beemers size. It's because of the gs that there's a decent selection of tyres in its size.

:P

Big Dave
20th August 2010, 21:43
Round peg, square hole.

f'n aussies. Square PEG!

warewolf
20th August 2010, 23:22
f'n aussies. Square PEG!Sorry, put the neg in back-to-front. Should have said 'ELOH erauqS' :blink:

Gremlin
21st August 2010, 01:12
Heh, remember we're talking about the standard gs here, it appears a whole lot less bulky than my Adventure.
Your SM is 195kg or so with no gas, so 215 or so with? A standard GS is about 229kg with 20L of gas on board.

Bet you you'd go further on the beemer even at high speed!

Pfft, tyre choice, there's plenty out there that'll do the job in the beemers size. It's because of the gs that there's a decent selection of tyres in its size.

:P
But if you're going to go that route, why buy for a measly 20L tank? KTM is more road going, fooken great suspension - accessories are a bit more generic, and cost less :bleh:. At least the adventure has a massive tank. Its true that its apparently good on gas... an adventure, with 45L (main plus 11L extra fuel tank) could get over 700km in a leg, by my calcs (6L/100km)... pretty damn tempting I have to admit. Can't think of anything with a better range.

Yet to find a better tyre than the Pirelli Scorpion Sync. Wasn't that particular about choice, until the wrong ones landed me in a ditch. Syncs handle wet, dry, etc, no problem, and don't come in BMW sizes.

Taz
21st August 2010, 06:01
But if you're going to go that route, why buy for a measly 20L tank? KTM is more road going, fooken great suspension - accessories are a bit more generic, and cost less :bleh:. At least the adventure has a massive tank. Its true that its apparently good on gas... an adventure, with 45L (main plus 11L extra fuel tank) could get over 700km in a leg, by my calcs (6L/100km)... pretty damn tempting I have to admit. Can't think of anything with a better range.

Yet to find a better tyre than the Pirelli Scorpion Sync. Wasn't that particular about choice, until the wrong ones landed me in a ditch. Syncs handle wet, dry, etc, no problem, and don't come in BMW sizes.

Why the fetish for a huge range? Anything over 300kms is more than enough for NZ especially if like you say you rarely leave the seal. Do you just not like stopping?

Oscar
21st August 2010, 13:04
Why the fetish for a huge range? Anything over 300kms is more than enough for NZ especially if like you say you rarely leave the seal. Do you just not like stopping?

It always makes me laugh that the guys I know with the 30 liter tanks on their BMW's stop for a coffee or a smoke every five minutes...

Gremlin
21st August 2010, 13:37
thousand km a day (or night) and more, there are big areas where there is no gas at night, south island is a good example. Stops also kill your average speed, so less stops, food, water, gas, get going again.

warewolf
21st August 2010, 14:25
Most SI places now have after hours eftpos fuel. 10 years ago it required more planning, not these days.

Very few people do that kind of endurance riding. Even fewer ppl could outride a 300km range without wanting to stop. And those that do it seriously know that lots of short stops is better. Get gas, ride for a while. Stop to eat, ride for a while. Repeat. Fuel range is hardly a limiting factor except on sprotsbikes or enduros (or Sherpas :laugh:).

Eddieb
21st August 2010, 14:48
I prefer 300km's range minimum, preferably 350. Less doesn't suit my preferred way of riding. It's purely a personal preference not because I am an endurance rider as I'm far from it. I just don't like having to plan stops around going to a town for gas, When I'm riding towns are just in inconvenience to get to the next bit of backroad.

I don't drink coffee so don't get cravings like the addicts, I prefer to pack a roll or sandwich at the beginning of the day and take my stops somewhere scenic in the middle of nowhere. It's very convenient to not have to plan a town stop in my day to refuel and just being able to explore wherever the roads take me and not have to worry about it.

The PD gets at least 450km to a tank. It's great being able to fill up in the morning, get completely lost yet still be able to get home on the same tank of gas.

warewolf
21st August 2010, 15:07
Understand completely. But 300-350km is a long way short of 700km. My point is that for most people in NZ big fuel range is a choice rather than a necessity.

marks
21st August 2010, 15:18
I don't drink coffee so don't get cravings like the addicts

its not really cravings - more of a compelling irresistible urge that must be obeyed.

gravels roads are just the most fun way of killing time till you get to the next latte

BMWST?
21st August 2010, 15:54
with you there eddie 350 is what i like,picton to CHCH without stopping,thats enough for me,but like you i like the ability the pd gives you to go where you want.I dont have to worry about wether i can try a new loop out the back of whykickamoocow,i just can(ussually)What sort of range does the 950 give you?

Big Dave
21st August 2010, 16:25
I stop every 200 whether I 'need' to or not. More is good but 250 does me fine.

Eddieb
21st August 2010, 16:51
with you there eddie 350 is what i like,picton to CHCH without stopping,thats enough for me,but like you i like the ability the pd gives you to go where you want.I dont have to worry about wether i can try a new loop out the back of whykickamoocow,i just can(ussually)What sort of range does the 950 give you?

About 275 to reserve.

That looks like fun
21st August 2010, 16:54
For me its not about having a fuel range so I can ride non stop for forty days and show everyone my penis is bigger :blink:, I stop when I want, I go when I want. I like being able to sit at an intersection and look at the No Exit sign and think to myself "I wonder what the end of that road looks like"? :scooter: Take the need for fuel out of the thought train and go exploring, simple as that :yes:

thepom
21st August 2010, 17:05
Sadly I am now limited by my bladder.......2 hours max...:shutup:

Eddieb
21st August 2010, 17:16
For me its not about having a fuel range so I can ride non stop for forty days and show everyone my penis is bigger :blink:, I stop when I want, I go when I want. I like being able to sit at an intersection and look at the No Exit sign and think to myself "I wonder what the end of that road looks like"? :scooter: Take the need for fuel out of the thought train and go exploring, simple as that :yes:

We should go for a ride someday, my sort of riding.

junkmanjoe
21st August 2010, 17:25
For me its not about having a fuel range so I can ride non stop for forty days and show everyone my penis is bigger :blink:,:

wish i could ride:scooter: for 40 days and have a big penis....:yes:

JMJ

Big Dave
21st August 2010, 17:34
350km is a long way short of 700km.

Usually about half way.

Oscar
21st August 2010, 17:36
Usually about half way.

You can never be sure wid dat metric system, though...French, n'all...I dinae trust it, I tells ya!!!

Gremlin
22nd August 2010, 22:23
400km is a good distance without stopping. Stop too often and time is lost, don't stop too often and you don't eat/drink enough.

I try to spend plenty of time exploring back roads, and you'd be surprised how quickly the distance gets eaten up, plus travel distance from and back to, the closest gas station (sometimes 50-100km away, so multiply by 2). Again, if you don't have to even think about closest gas stations, it makes the ride all that much greater :yes:

Warewolf, pm'ing you about something related.