PDA

View Full Version : Goggles fogging

crazzed
16th August 2010, 19:57
Just wondering what everyone does to stop there goggles fogging up??????
The last two rides out have ended up taking them off as just cant see.
Lets see what everyone has to say.
Cheers

Reckless
16th August 2010, 20:08
It may be just the brand your running. My boy has some Smiths I've tried to use as the gold lense is really god for the bush. They have lift up vents on the top and they are terrible for fogging especially if you stop even for a few seconds, I hate them. I have some Cheap Progrips and some expensive ones and they are very seldom fog up at anytime.
So maybe try a different brand??

little.whittle
16th August 2010, 20:11
This may sound wierd but was the lense with shampoo the day before you ride.

B0000M
16th August 2010, 20:19
just dont stop / ride faster

and if you do have to, take them off

barty5
16th August 2010, 20:37
I have a pair Thor bomber they fog pending on the day or conditions but as soon as you start to move they clear up.

scott411
16th August 2010, 20:44
there is a couple of fog off clothes, and treatments availalbe,

but the ultimate solution is a double pain lens, they are available for most models of goggles,

Blagger
16th August 2010, 20:53
2 mates on the last ride had fogging and I reckon it was some residual water left in the foam surround. My Thors aren't anything special but they were bone - dry on the day, which seemed to work ok

Keep ya hair out of the way and trim those unibrows, people

RJM
16th August 2010, 22:23
I have Thor Heros and find them pretty bad at fogging up at the moment however I'm a particularly warm blooded rider hence breathing out a lot of steam in my helmet and the usual sweat.

I bought a twin lense from Scott which worked great for a couple of hours at the recent Trail Blazer (which was very wet) but after a while they got moisture between the lenses so they went back in the car. I've since dried it out and haven't had any problems on damp rides.

This weekend just gone I tried some Rain-X and Fog-X on my scratched up single lense. Although it didn't rain while out there I found it was much easier to clean the moisture out of and puddle spray off the outside. I only tried it on my old lense as I wasn't sure how the plastic would like the chemicals.

marty
16th August 2010, 22:25
Buy a pair with dual lenses. I have some Oakleys, and they NEVER fog up. It's the temperature of the outside air vs the temp of air in the goggles that makes them condensate.

Jay GTI
17th August 2010, 09:10
I'm a heavy sweater (not the woolen kind) and have loads of problems with foggy goggles on wet days. I just keep a couple of pairs of those cheap clear plastic safety glasses you can get from Mitre 3 in the spares bag. They work a treat when it's particularly snotty out there and I'm struggling with the goggles again.

CHOPPA
17th August 2010, 11:15
Shampoo works good, test it on your bathroom mirror!

I run a hi def snow lense in my oakleys like scotty said dual lense

Reckless
17th August 2010, 17:15
Shampoo works good, test it on your bathroom mirror!

I run a hi def snow lense in my oakleys like scotty said dual lense

I've thought of snow goggles as they should be vented just as well??
I like the sound of the Hi def snow lense as my eyes ain't what they used to be might help if I could see definition better??

Choppa are they snow goggles or MX ones you use??

krad_nz
24th August 2010, 19:38
So does anyone know which model of Oakley MX goggles are fitted with a dual lens?

Or do you have to buy a snow boarding ones?

marty
24th August 2010, 20:40
Huge range of goggles here: http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/division/snow/menu/24-GO/title/Goggles

I've been using some dual lense (Spys) today in minus 7, skiing hard and sweating heaps. Snow forming ice on the outer lense - inner stayed dry and mist free. My son's Oakley Proven's ($60) performed just as well

krad_nz
24th August 2010, 21:39
From that I gather that you're wearing Snowboarding/Skiing goggles on your bike too?

SK1TZ
25th August 2010, 10:24
It might sound wierd, and some of you may have to ask the Mrs where it is, but a drip of Sunlight liquid on the inside of lense then, smear it around and all over, then wipe all residue off with a paper towel

We used to recommend this to all Dads students when we did the Basic skills course etc, for Road helmet visors, and it works ok for Dirt goggles too. keep an old pill bottle with a few teaspoons of Sunlight Liquid in the car and a roll of bog paper - sorted

sam

BoristheBiter
25th August 2010, 10:32
It might sound wierd, and some of you may have to ask the Mrs where it is, but a drip of Sunlight liquid on the inside of lense then, smear it around and all over, then wipe all residue off with a paper towel

sam

Beat me too it. it also works with normal soap aswell

marty
25th August 2010, 18:14
From that I gather that you're wearing Snowboarding/Skiing goggles on your bike too?

nope. the OP just wanted to know what goggles didn't fog. what's the difference between ski goggles and MX ones?

Some of the BMX kids i know wear ski goggles - they work perfectly