PDA

View Full Version : Fried...

Big Dog
24th November 2003, 17:22
Typical, go away to conference for three days, come back and the computer has $H!t itself so can't log on from home any more. Bugga!

Guess it must have got lonely.

Near as I can figure either the Mother board or the power supply unit has burnt out. Any Ideas on how to be sure before I spend the money?

riffer
24th November 2003, 19:52
Sure. Are you any good with a multimeter?

You can measure the voltage coming off the power supply. Check on google for a link to tell you how to do this - I'd hate to offer the wrong advice.

Another great one to test is to turn it on and see if the fan at the back of the power supply goes round.

Just make sure you don't make the same mistake I did and not check that the fuse has blown first! Could save you a heap of time.

My bet is power supply. Motherboards rarely seem to die when you turn on after leaving the computer alone.

I took to leaving my computers on because of this. Unfortunately with 6 going they used a shitload of electricity - worked out about $60 a month!!!

Hoon
24th November 2003, 22:01
Yep check that the PSU fan is spinning, also if your power supply is alright you will still have power to your CD rom and hard drives as these are powered from the PSU not the mother board.  Basically if your CD rom won't open it'll be a dead power supply.

Big Dog
25th November 2003, 10:26
Based on the above logic it must be the power supply / fuse.

More Symptoms having pulled it apart for a look see:p

The Cd rom, A: and hard drive do not respond at all.
The power supples fan starts but not the mother boards?

Any hints about where to find the fuse? I have had the power supply out (gave it a vacuum to see if that helped as it usually does in vcrs tv's etc) but did not see a fuse anywhere.... Would that be on the mother somewhere?

I am handy with a multi meter but the three hundred dollar digital one I had got stolen.

Hoon
25th November 2003, 10:36
Nope they are sealed unit and not serviceable - you'll need to buy a new one.  They only cost about $30.

danb
25th November 2003, 21:04
Originally posted by HO-Hoon
Nope they are sealed unit and not serviceable - you'll need to buy a new one.  They only cost about $30.

I Agree as well!

I would buy a power supply from a place where you can take it back e.g. Dick Smith if it doesnt solve you problem, The only problem with DSE is that they are more expensive.:argh:

I had a friend who had the same problem, Found that it was the power suppy that had stuffed up which he got from DSE and took it back and went to www.eoneonline.co.nz to get a far cheeper one. :2thumbsup

Big Dog
26th November 2003, 15:50
Not wrong about DSE being expensive! 129.95 was list price for PSU.

Dude across the road from work (pitt st) says 37 plus gst.

2 blocks diff, same brand but minus the fancy cardboard box:argh: