PDA

View Full Version : Shipping out from UK to Kiwi land soon...

Mrs_Toon_Nut
19th August 2010, 08:13
Hi folks, my husband has just bought me a new 125cc moped scooter and we are wondering what's the best way for me to get myself "mobile" in NZ?

We're hoping to go in around 4 weeks time, I have no provisional licence and have never applied for a licience of any sort here in the UK.

Here's my questions:

Bearing in mind the time scale we have set ourselves, I'd need to send my passport away to apply for a UK provisional licence, is it worth it and will the UK provisional licence actually mean anything in NZ?

What do I need to do once we get to NZ in order to ride my scooter legally?

I've had no basic training, not even parked my ass on the thing yet!

Realistically, how quickly could I be mobile after we arrive? Bearing in mind, I might be at least 6 weeks ahead of my scooter anyway, so could I do anything to speed the process up while my bike is on the high sea's?

Thanks

Mrs TN

Kiwi Graham
19th August 2010, 10:03
Hi Mrs Tn,

Prob not worth getting a UK provisional (I may be corrected).
When you get here book into a basic handling skils test. Courses are run all over the place if your coming to Auckland try these people http://www.ridertraining.co.nz/

With this certificate you can get your learners following a multi choice scratch test and the clock starts ticking them for you to qualify for further tests leading to you full blown licence.

All of the above you dont need 'your' bike for.

Good luck and welcome to Aotearoa.

KG

Gibbo89
19th August 2010, 13:13
Hi folks, my husband has just bought me a new 125cc moped scooter and we are wondering what's the best way for me to get myself "mobile" in NZ?

We're hoping to go in around 4 weeks time, I have no provisional licence and have never applied for a licience of any sort here in the UK.

Here's my questions:

Bearing in mind the time scale we have set ourselves, I'd need to send my passport away to apply for a UK provisional licence, is it worth it and will the UK provisional licence actually mean anything in NZ?

What do I need to do once we get to NZ in order to ride my scooter legally?

I've had no basic training, not even parked my ass on the thing yet!

Realistically, how quickly could I be mobile after we arrive? Bearing in mind, I might be at least 6 weeks ahead of my scooter anyway, so could I do anything to speed the process up while my bike is on the high sea's?

Thanks

Mrs TN

hi mrs TN,

welcome to kb.

as with the above comment, i dont think you will need to bother with getting a license over in the UK. (again, some1 can correct me if I am wrong)

if the bike is 6 weeks behind you, then that is plenty of time to organise a basic handling test ( you drive around on a suzuki gn125 (manual bike)). i.e weave between cones, breaking etc. Costs around $180 for a lesson on the things you will be tested on plus the test itself.

then you recieve the certificate the same day as you pass it, then study the roadcode and do a theory test on a computer at the AA.

all can be done in 6 weeks

hope that helps.

:scooter:

Mrs_Toon_Nut
20th August 2010, 07:39
Hi folks, thanks for answering my questions.

Can I take the test on an automatic as my moped is an auto and I'm not that fussed about learning to ride anything bigger - for the time being anyway, who knows once I get the bug!

We're heading to Hamilton by the way.

Thanks

Mrs TN

Hawkeye
20th August 2010, 08:13
Just wait until you get here. It's not worth adding the extra stress at that end.

PS. Welcome to KB. I gather from your member name you mean the real 'TOON'

Paul in NZ
20th August 2010, 12:21
Welcome to NZ - I hope the company is paying to shift the Lifan, you can get them here ya know ;-)

tamarillo
20th August 2010, 12:41
check out this:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/getting/motorcycles/motorcycle-licence.html

You can only go 70 km top on learners and must wear L plate.

slofox
20th August 2010, 12:47

Thanks

Mrs TN

Drop in and see me when you get here...:sunny:

Paul in NZ
20th August 2010, 12:54
Drop in and see me when you get here...:sunny:

Oh - before you get to his place you better swot up on braille. You will need it to find your way about most mornings...

Mrs_Toon_Nut
21st August 2010, 04:36
Thanks for the info guy's. Yeh, we knew we could get a Lifan over there but could not find a pink one!

Ayyyyyyyye, I'm from the Toon (Newcastle).

Slofox, if you see a little pink blur pass your window then put the kettle on, milk one sugar ta!

:)

rapid van cleef
21st August 2010, 11:00
Thanks for the info guy's. Yeh, we knew we could get a Lifan over there but could not find a pink one!

Ayyyyyyyye, I'm from the Toon (Newcastle).

Slofox, if you see a little pink blur pass your window then put the kettle on, milk one sugar ta!

:)

how yee

hey man

wahey, fellow geordies been here for the last 4 years with wife and kids. were in whakatane(2 hours or so east of hamilton on the coast) and also have family from newcastle in hamilton who are bikers too. send me a message/email address and i ll help out with anything i can.

mikemike104
21st August 2010, 16:42
Hi folks, thanks for answering my questions.

Can I take the test on an automatic as my moped is an auto and I'm not that fussed about learning to ride anything bigger - for the time being anyway, who knows once I get the bug!

Thanks

Mrs TN

Hello

How big (cc's) is you scooter? because you may ride a 50cc scooter on a car license here, and when sitting the basic handling skills test you must sit it on a manuel bike not an auto ( I'm right aye guys ??)

Otherwise enjoy Hamilton, apart from the fog in winter its not all bad :scooter: