PDA

View Full Version : Vote for this Kiwi battler?

candor
19th August 2010, 21:15
Request your help in an easy way. Candor Trust's Coordinator (me) is a finalist in "Kiwi Battler" . If I win Candor will benefit from a raised profile, and also a sister charity will.

Hoping locals particularly may support my elected charity (Skylight) by voting for me (winner gets funds from the Morgan Foundation) in the Wellington Kiwi battler round here; http://www.kiwibattler.com/nominations/433
If I gain the most votes out of 6 nominees within 2 weeks my elected charity, which is Skylight http://www.skylight.org.nz/home.aspx wins $10,000 but I don't want the National win for more - as others are so way more deserving. Like the lady in BoP who didn't talk till 20 but has done great feats.

I think this is a good charity to support as it supports child victims/whanau of sudden loss who are at risk in the long term - addictions etc. It's mainly active in Wellington but works to extend and is a global authority on the walking mentally wounded.

Skylight has helped Candor as we have referred a family whose kid was troubled after seeing his family die in a crash - they offer skilled help multi generationally.

I chose Skylight for several reasons; my next-door neighbour accidentally shot himself dead at 15 and the effects were profound, the high need next-door was responded to by my Mum 24/7 leaving the family "de-mothered" for some time. This tragedy probably stimulated her vocation in terminal nursing (particularly HIV pre modern drugs) and grief care in Chch Public Ward 27 (now 30).

Of course my Mother (like many Candor supporters rellys) was killed by a drugged driver and her dog, who Police called a timebomb. 40 days prior he had been sentenced to traffic school (retaining his licence), in relation to an earlier drug addled crash.

Aboard his fatal car wreck were two toddlers, protected by carseats but not likely emotional trauma. We identified a major drug driving issue and set to raising awareness, supporting road crime victims and having the law upgraded so that Police could better deal with offenders, by co-founding the Candor Trust. Long way to go with all goals..

As a former psychiatric nurse I believe in Skylight as a critical service due to the connection between unacknowledged childhood grief and later emotional imbalances, including criminal pathways. Impaired drivers are often kids of them.

NZ has stockpiled masses of children who've witnessed deaths of their whanau in the full battlefield mode on roads. Skylight has a reach and capacity that Candor lacks - but we work with them as well as in cooperation with victim support.

Thx for your attention, to learn more about Skylight read on.

One typical week in the last year saw the Skylight team respond to requests for support in these areas
 a family waiting at a hospital for their child’s possible kidney transplant
 domestic violence – a daughter abusing her mother
 a young child distressed by parental separation
 a parent wanting to talk with her child about her child’s terminal brain tumour, and with her other children about it also
 a young daughter affected emotionally by being in a near fatal car accident
 siblings’ strained relationships since a parental separation
 3 different families needing support after the suicide of a family member
 2 different families facing the terminal illness of someone they love - a parent and a grandparent
 after the death of a parent in a car accident
 for parents struggling to cope with their grief around the disability of their child
 a blended family experiencing huge tensions
 a teacher wanting support for managing the angry behaviour of two different young
children at school, and home
 a family whose child has heart problems and facing many ongoing, unpredictable and distressing hospital stays
 the aftermath of a parent’s domestic violence effecting the aggressive behaviour of 9 year old son
 a family impacted by a parent’s MS illness
 for a hospital emergency department wanting support books for families after the sudden deaths of children in that department
 a youth worker seeking resources for struggling teens they work with
 a youth mentor wanting support resources for a bereaved teen they are mentoring
 a social worker wanting prison family support material
 an organisation wanting book title ideas for children affected by their parent’s breast cancer

marie_speeds
19th August 2010, 21:29
Hey I voted but there is something wrong with the email confirmation. I kept putting personal one in and it would not accept so had to use work email.

candor
19th August 2010, 21:37
Thx. Same prob when I voted (for someone else) but i used the other form it suggested to use if any problem. Then it said my vote had gone through. Funny that they sem to expect a hiccup.

Number One
19th August 2010, 21:51
I'll support anything that supports Skylight - having recently used their services I have found them FANTASTIC! In fact I wonder if it was your kind self that sent me the HUGE pack of information and resources and links of where to go for help.

I'll pop a vote your way for sure :niceone: GO SKYLIGHT!!!!

Vote successfull - no issues with the form :)

candor
20th August 2010, 17:20
Glad you found them good - confirms my suspicions. I don't think it was me who connected you though as it was an elderly woman I did that for (I'd doubt has a bike) and lately someone whose kids saw a homicide - that only happened by me blabbing on about SL, and then someone saying hey I know someone who needs them. Its funny if you start the subject some one in a group can often come up with someone who might like the hook up.