PDA

View Full Version : 90 mile beach

c4.
20th August 2010, 16:44
Hi gang, I'm planning a victory lap of NZ with a mate on MCs.
This will mean that I need to hire off road bikes from (Kaitaia?) somewhere to do 90 mile beach.
Has anyone got contacts/advice on where what when we can do this?
Respect
C4

cowboyz
20th August 2010, 16:59
you dont really. you can ride your road bike down it. just give it a damn good wash after!

c4.
20th August 2010, 17:29
Yeah bro, can do, but its day 2 into 14 with 5278kms to go.
Plan C is to take 2 road bikes on the black sand.:sick:
Chur
C4

barty5
20th August 2010, 20:16
why not go the other way then you end up doing the beach towards the end of the trip at which point they'll need a good wash down anyway.

takitimu
20th August 2010, 23:52
Have not seen two wheelers for rent, but there are a few 4 wheeler outfits like http://www.ahiparaadventure.co.nz/ .
Kaitaia motorcycles are the biggest shop in town, if you want someone else to try.

I'd go quad, Pretty sure there are some soft sand spots along the beach in places and you have to be a bit careful, ridden south of ahipara but not north.

george formby
21st August 2010, 15:56
The hardest part is getting on & off the beach, soft sand. You have to travel when the tide is halfway out. If you look where your going & take it easy the beach is no problem. You will ride through a LOT of seawater & you will have to contend with buses & 4x4's. If they pass you in standing water it is one helluva soaking. The salt will get into every nook & crannie, guaranteed. I had the privilege of using a C90 for a fishing trip on the beach & it was hilarious. Defo use somebody else's bike.