PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry, but this is just plain stupid: licence renewal

Malcolm
25th August 2010, 11:26
So, I've recently received my 6F licence (passed my test week before last, wooo!), and I was surprised to see that the expiry date is still the same as it was when I got my full car licence - which is November this year! I called NZTA, assuming this is some sort of error, but no, apparently this is how the system works. When you're issued a new licence it does not update the expiry date.

So what's involved in updating your licence? Exactly the same process you go through when you're applying to sit a test, the same process I've been through three times in the last 18 months - getting your eyesight checked, giving proof of ID, getting an up to date photo taken, and filling out an extra form. You can even do it at the same time as you apply for a licence test, meaning it isn't even any extra work or time for anyone, but you stilll have the pleasure of paying an extra $50.

Does it seem to anyone else that this is little more than an extra money-grab? Going through the three phases of getting my licence I've given them around $250 since the beginning of last year. I'm going to see about what needs to be done to lay a formal complaint about this idiotic process, in hopes of convincing them to not make me pay, before my licence expires.

onearmedbandit
25th August 2010, 11:31
Be thankful you don't live in places like Japan or Germany, it would cost you 10x the amount plus to get your license. But you'd be a better driver/rider for it.

Malcolm
25th August 2010, 11:32
but I bet I wouldn't have to go back and pay more a couple of months after receiving my licence to get my picture taken again. By the way, this wasn't a post to complaint about the cost of going through the graduated licence system.

avgas
25th August 2010, 11:33
tis the way it works.
sorry.

Malcolm
25th August 2010, 11:38
I just checked, you don't even have to fill out an extra form, just tick an extra box on the DL1 form (http://nzta.govt.nz/resources/application-for-driver-licence-dl1/docs/dl1.pdf) and give them more money.

Smiff-ta
25th August 2010, 11:51
Its so your license exprires at the correct age gaps.

onearmedbandit
25th August 2010, 11:55

Exactly. For some the timing works, for others it doesn't.

Malcolm
25th August 2010, 12:16

I'm not sure I get what you're saying? Considering they have no control over when you receive you first full-licence, which is when the 10 year period begins, there are no fixed ages at which it will expire. The only reason you need to renew your licence is because when they changed to photo licences, it was no longer appropriate to have "lifetime licences" like they used to (a 70 year old carrying a photo of a 16 year old as identification is a bit useless), and since they go through all the same steps when you sit a licence test as you do when you renew your licence, you're just paying $45 to get a date changed.

javawocky
25th August 2010, 12:17
Its might actually be cheaper to not get a licence in the first place, sept for the insurance stuff etc...
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/offences-penalties/#penalties

grusomhat
25th August 2010, 12:24
'eh It's not that bad. Over the last 4 years I've got my full car license and full bike license (that's 6 different licenses). Sure I'll have to pay a bit earlier the first time but it's not that much and after that it's 10 years between updating it.

neels
25th August 2010, 12:49
I had the same thing, to the point that my new licence after my 6F hadn't even turned up yet when I had to renew my licence.

Interesting that nobody told me I could renew it at the same time, would have saved me another trip, and another wait in the queue of people who haven't brought the correct documentation and want to argue with the person over the counter about it.

Berries
25th August 2010, 17:14
I'm not sure I get what you're saying? Considering they have no control over when you receive you first full-licence, which is when the 10 year period begins, there are no fixed ages at which it will expire.
Does it not work out as being on your 25th, 35th, 45th birthday etc ?

Number One
25th August 2010, 17:25
You are right it is fricken ridiculous and though I can't understand why I think the timing does relate to your 25 or 35 (atleast the expiry on mine works out to be my 35 year) - perhaps they expect that our photos will look sooooooooo different - like whatever! cha ching is what I reckon

ALSO don't count on your insurance company paying out in the event of something untoward if that stupid arse expiry date has actually gone by...even if only by a fricken week!!! ARSEBISCUITS!

Owl
25th August 2010, 20:16
You are right it is fricken ridiculous and though I can't understand why I think the timing does relate to your 25 or 35 (atleast the expiry on mine works out to be my 35 year) - perhaps they expect that our photos will look sooooooooo different - like whatever! cha ching is what I reckon

Eyesight test and photo upgrade every 10 years up to the age of 75, at which point a medical certificate must be obtained.

SMOKEU
25th August 2010, 21:44
Any excuse to get more money out of us.

Sable
25th August 2010, 22:45
It's a brilliant pyramid scheme.

Number One
25th August 2010, 23:08
Eyesight test and photo upgrade every 10 years up to the age of 75, at which point a medical certificate must be obtained.

Aah yes now I guess that makes sense it's just that when I got my first licence (the paper one) it didn't expire for a lot longer than my 25th, 35th or 45th - it's just seems to have been a "since they brought in the plastic card licenses" thing.

Malcolm
25th August 2010, 23:13

Nope, it's 10 years from when you get your first full licence, which for most people would be between 16 and 18 I guess. I'll be about 26 and 3/4 when I go and get mine renewed in a couple of months.

miloking
25th August 2010, 23:54

Lol are you serious????? Thats a funniest thing i've heard today!

Kwaka14
26th August 2010, 00:43
Its way worse here apparently (Czech Republic)- the sitting of your licence takes some time - no problems with that, but the practical test(s) involve a pillion on the back on a bike with dual controls. and the cost runs to the thousands. additionally if you somehow manage to not pass, they take all other classes of your licence away from you and you start it all from scratch - and if you pass the second time around and you had other classes of licence then you have to reapply and sit and pass them also. consequently theres a few unlicenced motorcyclists here.

Owl
26th August 2010, 06:39
Lol are you serious????? Thats a funniest thing i've heard today!

Why so funny? That's exactly the way it was set up, however times have changed.

hellokitty
26th August 2010, 07:03

That is what I was told at the AA. I got my full license when I was 18 yet I have had to renew it when I was 25 and 35, I was told that it is easier for people to remember the 25,35,45 etc than trying to guess when you got your license.

Smiff-ta
26th August 2010, 10:58
Does everyone on this forum seriously think the world is out to get them? Or just most people?

Jantar
26th August 2010, 11:20
The best course would have been to update your current licence at the same time that you passed your 6F. That is assuming that you passed your 6F less than 3 months before your birthday. All licences expire on the day you turn 25, 35, 45 etc. It isn't 10 years from the date you pass it.

Little Miss Trouble
26th August 2010, 11:38
The best course would have been to update your current licence at the same time that you passed your 6F. That is assuming that you passed your 6F less than 3 months before your birthday. All licences expire on the day you turn 25, 35, 45 etc. It isn't 10 years from the date you pass it.

Mine has an expiry date of 30/03/2016 even though I turn 25 next year

Malcolm
26th August 2010, 15:55

Hi, this is not true. It's possible they've changed it in the last 10 years, but like I said, mine expires when I'm 26 and three quarters. I did ask about this when I got my 6F and the person at the AA told me my new license would expire in 10 years, not 2 months (if I'd known I would've done it then and there, but still complained about paying extra)

Blinkwing
26th August 2010, 15:58
Its way worse here apparently (Czech Republic)- the sitting of your licence takes some time - no problems with that, but the practical test(s) involve a pillion on the back on a bike with dual controls. and the cost runs to the thousands. additionally if you somehow manage to not pass, they take all other classes of your licence away from you and you start it all from scratch - and if you pass the second time around and you had other classes of licence then you have to reapply and sit and pass them also. consequently theres a few unlicenced motorcyclists here.

What the ... that's a bunch of crap.

simpy1
26th August 2010, 16:14
I got my 6R in mid-June, and my licence expires in early December. So I will need to do an eye test and pay for a new licence in early Dec, then probably about 5 days after it arrives in the mail, I'll go for my 6F. New eye test, new piece of plastic, new fee. It really is ridiculous. Two eye tests and two photos, about 15 days apart?

Rosie
26th August 2010, 16:29
I got my 6R in mid-June, and my licence expires in early December. So I will need to do an eye test and pay for a new licence in early Dec, then probably about 5 days after it arrives in the mail, I'll go for my 6F. New eye test, new piece of plastic, new fee. It really is ridiculous. Two eye tests and two photos, about 15 days apart?

When I went in to apply for my 6L, I decided to be super efficient and applied for my 4L at the same time. I had to go through the whole licensing process twice, including two eye tests, and two photos within 20 minutes :blink:

Blinkwing
26th August 2010, 16:29

Or you could just let the first one expire ... :innocent:

p.dath
26th August 2010, 17:02
I've been through this same drama. Even more annoying is that the form to renew your licence is the same form to get your new licence class (such as 6F).

I spoke to the LTSA, and it is related to the way the legislation was drafted.

simpy1
26th August 2010, 17:04
Or you could just let the first one expire ... :innocent:

Would that work? I think they wouldn't let me take the 6F test if my 6R was expired...

_Shrek_
26th August 2010, 19:34
Nope, it's 10 years from when you get your first full licence, which for most people would be between 16 and 18 I guess. I'll be about 26 and 3/4 when I go and get mine renewed in a couple of months.

that will change I got my new licence on the 09-08-02 & renew it on the 24-06-2013 so I get 11 years this time & 10 after that

ajturbo
26th August 2010, 21:45
when i first got my licence, it was a life time one, it was a neat little booklet, that i left at home as it wouldn't fit in my wallet, when i got pulled over, i had 7(?)days to produce it...

then suddenly my life time must have finished as i was made to get a piece of indestructible paper one ( it could burn:innocent:)...

now i have to carry ID in a free(?) cuntry to prove i can ride my bike...

friggin tree hunggin, banjo playing, do gooders...

question... should i not drink before posting??

Kwaka14
5th November 2010, 08:30
What the ... that's a bunch of crap.

Attached an image of Licence testing in the Czech Republic - Dual controls on the bike so the instructor/tester can take over anytime :)

Sadly cant find the details at the moment in english to show that the If you fail a change to your licence (adding motorcycle to a car licence) that you loose your licence until you resit and pass.

scumdog
5th November 2010, 08:35
Does everyone on this forum seriously think the world is out to get them? Or just most people?

There's a shit-load of KBers eem to think exactly that..:blink: