PDA

View Full Version : EXC won't start / idle

mitch.ww
26th August 2010, 21:35
Been trying for the last week to get by bike going! Its an 06 EXC450.

It was sitting for a little while, a couple of weeks probably - usually fires first hit of the e-start but now its decided to be a pig and not start.

The few times I have managed to get it to start it wont idle, need to keep on the gas to keep it running.

So far have replaced spark plug which was getting tired anyway, drained all fuel from carb, removed carb and cleaned with compressed air still with no luck. However, when I did put the carby back on, I tried running it without connecting it back up to the air box - so no air filter [tisk tisk I know] but the thing was I got it going and even idling. Killed it a few times and checked it would restart and it did.

I then put everything back together and went to try start it and absolutely nothing again.

I'm real fuckin stumped and any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated

cheers

Bradz
26th August 2010, 21:45
Clean Airfilter? clean but over oiled airfilter?

barty5
26th August 2010, 22:25
or a blocked intake to the air filter

pete.ktm
27th August 2010, 00:26
maybe...

check carb air holes are lined up with air filter boot - see http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=323511

camchain
27th August 2010, 11:49
Might pay to double check for blocked idle jet? Air may not have cleared it, bit of fuse wire sometimes needed to move a bit of grit (But avoid scratching up jet hole). And take the rag out of intake boot lol.

mitch.ww
27th August 2010, 15:59
maybe...

check carb air holes are lined up with air filter boot - see http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=323511

Thats not a bad idea, I'll double check that now. Would it make that much difference though??

Might pay to double check for blocked idle jet? Air may not have cleared it, bit of fuse wire sometimes needed to move a bit of grit (But avoid scratching up jet hole). And take the rag out of intake boot lol.

I also thought this at first, have cleaned it like I said, might need to take it all apart again and give it another go