PDA

View Full Version : Dririder Nordic 3 Jacket

Big Dave
3rd June 2005, 03:35
‘I can justify every one of them – sure I can’ - I said to the Co-pilot as she gave me ‘that look’ (The one with the icicles hanging off it) and struggled to get her leathers back into the wardrobe.

Gallantly ducking the icy blow, I went over and squashed a few garments together to make her lot easier and came to an embarrassing realisation.
I’ve become the Emelda Marcos of motorcycle jackets…well maybe not quite that bad, but I have an embarrassment of riches in goretex and leather.

I’ve won some, earned some, been given some to test for Kiwi Rider and received others as treasured gifts. Some I even purchased. Between us we almost have what a retailer would describe as ‘stock’. It's put me in a good position to objectively evaluate the different options.

I went to the NZ launch of the Dririder range at the shindig put on by importers White’s Powersports last year.
‘Aussie riders don’t say I’ll get my wet weathers - they say I’ll get my Dririders – because Dririder has become a metaphor for wet weather gear in Australia’ the manufacturers sales manager proudly informed me when he got wind that I knock out their advertising locally.
‘Not…necessarily…an angle that will work in NZ’ I suggested as I tried not to wince at the thought of the local market reaction to a full-page colour display delivered with the graphic equivalent of an Aussie twang.
I soberly informed him. ‘Forget the weather forecast’ is the tag we’re using locally and bugger me – that very line turns up atop the Aussie ads 2 months later - with their subsequent thanks.

But now a lovely new Nordic 3 jacket and matching gloves in ‘anthracite and black’ has found it’s way into the melee that is my gear locker - just in time for the big wet in Auckland.

So far so good – I’ve had it out in some shocking conditions over the last week. Mainly to and fro the KR offices across the Western causeway and the wind tunnel like blast along that freeway. Each time I arrived warm and dry after literally travelling through hail and tempest.

At $349rrp the Nordic jacket is specified similarly to jackets that cost significantly more. Heavy duty cordura, claimed 100% waterproof and breathable liner, Hitena reinforced shoulder and elbow, removable elbow and shoulder armour, safety reflector strips, double stitched and riveted seams and the zip out thermal layer are in line with the more expensive offerings.

‘Pre curved arms’ I scoffed incredulously when they told me I’d find it very comfortable too, ‘I can bend my own arms’ but….well…it’s…errr the most comfortable in my 'vast' collection. It fits particularly well and seals easily at neck and cuffs and is even quite comfortable to sit around in for a short break off the bike - it feels like a good cut and thankfully doesn’t do that whole ‘Michelin man’ look that some multi layered jackets can create.

The good seal also means I can get away with one less layer of thermals because it keeps the drafts out effectively.

The fastening system is easy and efficient and the zip, Velcro and press-studs are all on the same ‘flap’. Contents in the external pockets stayed dry as did my iPod in the interior phone pouch.

The gloves are gauntlet style, have Kevlar reinforced stitching and palm, thinsulate and hipora waterproof liner with leather construction on the palm and front and waterproof materials on the back. As yet they haven’t seen the same heavy rain as the Jacket, but have remained comfy and warm in showery conditions. RRP is under $90 for a quite stylish design.

So struth, stone the crows cobbers, have a go at the Dririder Nordic 3 – For under $350 - I reckon they are bonza.

I hope she never wants to share the shoe cupboard or I’m really sunk – there’s at least 5 pairs of high tops in there.

http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/nordic3.jpg

--

Lou Girardin
3rd June 2005, 08:28
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/nordic3.jpg[/url]

So you haven't looked in a mirror yet?

Seriously, these are great value jackets. We've sold lots and haven't had a complaint or a faulty one back.
The Dririder gear does seem to have a particularly good fit too.

Slim
3rd June 2005, 09:12
I'm selling more of the Spool jackets, personally - $50 more and you get summer vents, more adjustability and a proper thermal liner (with that metallic stuff in it to reflect heat). :devil2:

The Nordic's are definitely a smart jacket though, and I've not had any returns either. :)

Lou Girardin
3rd June 2005, 11:56
No offence Slim, but I've seen a Spool jacket from a bin. One sleeve was almost ripped away. Might have been a once off, but it put me off them.

Pwalo
3rd June 2005, 12:38
I've had no problems from my Dri Rider Nordic, although it's a Nordic2. Had it for about 4 years, give it a spray once or twice a year with sno seal or nikwax and it's never leaked. Mind you it's not breathable.

I've got the black/anthracite winter gloves as well. Keep me warm and dry.

Beemer
3rd June 2005, 14:54
I bought a Dririder Extreme jacket five years ago and it's still going strong. No leaks, very warm, and no problems whatsoever. When I bought it, there were very few women's ones available so I got a small men's one, but it does tend to make me look a bit on the chubby side! Of course Motorad got women's ones in a few months later... Can't remember how much it cost now, but I think it was about $500 - they seem to be cheaper now - of course!

Slim
3rd June 2005, 15:10
No offence Slim, but I've seen a Spool jacket from a bin. One sleeve was almost ripped away. Might have been a once off, but it put me off them.
I've seen pics of various brands of Textile jackets after bins and that's why I am firmly in the Leather camp, Lou. :)

vifferman
3rd June 2005, 15:13
So howzit for abrasion resistance, Dave/Lou/Slim ?

My Teknic has kevlar on the shoulders and elbows, and now leather as well (the Cordura's almost useless when sliding.
How about vents for summer use? I take it from Slim's comments, it doesn't have any?

I've a pair of DriRider glubs ("Racer-X" - yuk name!), and while they're very comfy and all that, they're not super good quality, with one seam starting to come apart within weeks, and the stitching on many of the seams getting a bit furry from contact with velcro. Obviously the stitching isn't good quality kevlar thread or the like. So my next pair of gloves will be Spidi again, or summat else of the same quality.

Big Dave
3rd June 2005, 15:34
So howzit for abrasion resistance, Dave/Lou/Slim ?

I'm not sure how all that rates / is rated - the attached specs card lists - kevlar reinforcment, removable dual density foam armour, removable elbow and shoulder guards, and cordura non-tear fabric' along with the aforementiond double stitched and riveted seams.

Had to look - but it is sans vents, which doesn't bother me - it's a winter jacket for shitty days like today. I have better options for more clement weather in leather, which is clever.

keeping the velcro clean on this jacket will be important. dunno about the glove - fwiw i bought some spidi H2out gloves and their performance turned me off that brand a little. Co-pilot loves her spidis, but her suit was well over a grand.

Big Dave
3rd June 2005, 18:31
So you haven't looked in a mirror yet?

How little you know me....

Lou Girardin
8th June 2005, 10:18
We've sold a lot of the Dririder, but I don't know of anyone who's binned in one yet.
I have seen a Spidi jacket that went down the road at 100 - 110 k's. A small impact hole on the elbow material over the armour and minor scuffing was all that happened. My low speed bin didn't even scuff my Spidi jacket and my brothers aerobatic act over a car onto his back didn't even mark his Spidi gear.
All good enough for me.

Estrella
11th June 2005, 16:38
Interesting reading.

I'm looking for a new jacket (after years of no bikes, can't believe the rubbish I used to ride in by the way) and am really undecided about Cordura v Leather. Which performs best in a fall, leather or a good quality Cordura.

I have been told the Cordura jackets are warmer, but would like to know more about the different types of armour that they have. Some seems like a hard plastic and some like a high density foam, which is best?

I await your thoughts o wise ones!

Ta

Jantar
11th June 2005, 16:46
Interesting reading.

I'm looking for a new jacket (after years of no bikes, can't believe the rubbish I used to ride in by the way) and am really undecided about Cordura v Leather. Which performs best in a fall, leather or a good quality Cordura.

I have been told the Cordura jackets are warmer, but would like to know more about the different types of armour that they have. Some seems like a hard plastic and some like a high density foam, which is best?

Ta

Welcome back to the world of motorcyclng. If you can afford it, go leather. :yes:

Estrella
11th June 2005, 20:11
Thanks for that.

Love your bike. I really like that look!

I have a 1994 Kawasaki that looks like a 50's bike.

C

Lou Girardin
12th June 2005, 16:28
Interesting reading.

Ta

There are various types of armour. Go for CE approved, you won't have a choice of soft or hard armour unless you buy an aftermarket set.
If you care about image and are going to race, buy leather. Anything else and you're better off with textile.

Ixion
12th June 2005, 16:59
Welcome back to the world of motorcyclng. If you can afford it, go leather. :yes:

If you care about image and are going to race, buy leather. Anything else and you're better off with textile.

When experts disagree what's a man to do :scratch:

One factor is that not often mentioned is that leather can be "smart" enough to wear in a social, non-motorcycle setting. Which textile isn't - at least none that I've seen

I could wear (some) leather jackets to quite a fancy dinner party without a raised eyebrow. Don't think theres a textile one that I could do that.

Now all I have to do is save up my pennies to buy such a jacket
[we need a "money" smilie ]

Big Dave
12th June 2005, 19:47
The experts disagree because there is no 'right' answer.
Each has its advantages.

My advice is to initially buy a good leather jacket and a $100 plastic to go over it, and then a good goretex for touring, real bad weather later on.

Arlen Ness also make a nice jacket that is a 'combo' of the two.
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/rod.jpg

Ixion
12th June 2005, 19:55

Arlen Ness also make a nice jacket that is a 'combo' of the two.
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/rod.jpg

Do you have a reference for it ? I checked their website, but the jackets all seemed to be "straight forward" leather ones.

Jantar
12th June 2005, 20:20
When experts disagree what's a man to do :scratch:

One factor is that not often mentioned is that leather can be "smart" enough to wear in a social, non-motorcycle setting. Which textile isn't - at least none that I've seen

I could wear (some) leather jackets to quite a fancy dinner party without a raised eyebrow. Don't think theres a textile one that I could do that.

Now all I have to do is save up my pennies to buy such a jacket
[we need a "money" smilie ]

There was a time when I was a dedicated textile wearer. I used to believe that riders wearing leather only did so for the image. It was overpriced, heavy, and very old fashioned. I also believed that leather wouldn't keep the rider dry in the rain etc etc.

However when I binned at over 170 kph (on the race track at Levels), and walked away without a scratch, and only minor bruising, and more importantly, without destroying the leathers, I started making a more in depth comparison. I also started wearing leather on the road instead of only on the track.

I am sold on the idea that leather is safer and more durable. As long as it is properly waxed it is also waterproof.

However, having said all that, there are many times that I will leave my leather gear at home, or in the panniers, and ride in textiles. This is mainly in the summer when its just too hot for leather.

So I have to agree with Big Dave that there is no absolute right answer.

Big Dave
12th June 2005, 20:44
Do you have a reference for it ? I checked their website, but the jackets all seemed to be "straight forward" leather ones.

I don't sorry - nothing on the tags - i got it from the importers - whites - Motomail had stock a while ago - not sure what the current status is.
I'll check and get back to you.

It was called 'Tour-Ness' locally.

Slim
13th June 2005, 11:37
I don't sorry - nothing on the tags - i got it from the importers - whites - Motomail had stock a while ago - not sure what the current status is.
I'll check and get back to you.

It was called 'Tour-Ness' locally.
Whites only have "Cruise-Ness" & "Max-Ness" jackets on their catalogue now.

You can find piccies of some Arlen Ness Cordura jackets at http://www.onyerbike.net/arlenness.htm although I can't see either of the jackets we've got available down here on that site.

I wonder if they're going out of the Cordura ones? Might be worth checking it out quickly in case they become unavailable once stocks are sold. I think Bayride Yamaha in Tauranga have an Opening Sale on Arlen Ness jackets, but I'm not sure which model they've got.