PDA

View Full Version : Bucket wanted

dangerous
3rd June 2005, 06:18
Right its time for some serious racing, so I'm after a bucket racer and info from you guys out there that are in the bucket know....... another words tell me what to look out for and mods shortcuts etc.

I'm thinking a GT125 or CB125t H100's are are a bit too common but will consider all the same.
I'm after a bike that is either already set up or one that is still on the road, aslong as the price is right :ride:

bungbung
3rd June 2005, 08:46
Let me know if you find one of these 'common' h100s then. Rua is looking for a bucket also.

StoneChucker
3rd June 2005, 08:50
Who is Rua, BungBung?

I'll be watching this thread keenly :niceone: Soon, patient I must be ;)

bungbung
3rd June 2005, 09:00
Rua (KB handle) is a mate of mine, has the a100 but needs more.

TonyB
3rd June 2005, 09:21
D, have you seen this? (http://www.acay.com.au/~jim/_private/BuildingaBucketRacerIntro.htm) Good on ya by the way :niceone:

bungbung
3rd June 2005, 09:32
Tony, that looks far to professional for my liking. Where are the mobile-rubbish-tip style bikes?

Marknz
3rd June 2005, 09:45
D, have you seen this? (http://www.acay.com.au/~jim/_private/BuildingaBucketRacerIntro.htm) Good on ya by the way :niceone:

Ken Lyndsay is the guy that made the rearsets and braced the swinging arm for my CB150T in Aussie... bloody good bloke and what he doesn't know about bucket racing ain't worth knowing.

Skunk
3rd June 2005, 09:46
Rua (KB handle) is a mate of mine, has the a100 but needs more.
An A100 sounds like the sort of thing I'm looking to start with... Is Rua selling it?

Eddieb
3rd June 2005, 09:54
Tony, that looks far to professional for my liking. Where are the mobile-rubbish-tip style bikes?

In my gargre :ride:

bungbung
3rd June 2005, 10:12
An A100 sounds like the sort of thing I'm looking to start with... Is Rua selling it?

It is for sale. Send him a PM

ajturbo
3rd June 2005, 13:59
what i would like to know is

is there any bucket racing around Tauranga ????

k14
3rd June 2005, 16:34

Yeah need to look more like this?? :Punk:

http://kp14.orcon.net.nz/bucket.jpg

Kickaha
3rd June 2005, 17:48
Right its time for some serious racing, so I'm after a bucket racer and info from you guys out there that are in the bucket know....... another words tell me what to look out for and mods shortcuts etc.

I'm thinking a GT125 or CB125t H100's are are a bit too common but will consider all the same.
I'm after a bike that is either already set up or one that is still on the road, aslong as the price is right :ride:

Doesn't really matter what you get as me and K14 will kick your arse anyway

Ken Lyndsay is the guy that made the rearsets and braced the swinging arm for my CB150T in Aussie... bloody good bloke and what he doesn't know about bucket racing ain't worth knowing.

From the little I have seen on the Austrailian forums it seem as their approach to bucket racing is a great deal different and a great deal more expensive than ours

dangerous
3rd June 2005, 17:56
Yeah need to look more like this?? :Punk:
LMAO...... yeah well I did refuse to ride that POS that day K, but you insisted and to my suprise it was fun :ride:

Doesn't really matter what you get as me and K14 will kick your arse anyway
:rofl: .................................................. .................................................. ..................................... :motu:

geoffm
3rd June 2005, 19:54
I have an A100 for really, really cheap, if anyone wants it. Been parked in the shed for years, and was the most evil handling POS ever. If anyone wants it in exchange for beer, PM me...
Geoff

ZorsT
3rd June 2005, 20:02
How would a TC 125 go as a bucket?
It is 2-stroke, and i thought that 2-strokes had to be 100, am I right?
There is one in bits at my house right now, and i was thinking how it would suit...

If it is un-suitable, does anyone know of any buckets (any condition) for sale in nelson?

THanks all

dangerous
3rd June 2005, 20:03
the most evil handling POS ever.
Man...... you should go for that job in WMCC, sales is you :niceone:
So all std is it? motor, wheels, frame etc.

dangerous
3rd June 2005, 20:05
i thought that 2-strokes had to be 100, am I right?

A TC is like a TS isent it? a trail bike???
125cc is the air cooled 2 stroke limit 100cc for water cooled (I think)

ajturbo
3rd June 2005, 21:03
It is 2-stroke, and i thought that 2-strokes had to be 100, am I right?
There is one in bits at my house right now, and i was thinking how it would suit...

If it is un-suitable, does anyone know of any buckets (any condition) for sale in nelson?

THanks all

go to the tahuna motor camp and ask for a guy called Trev Larson.. ( i think he still lives there) and tell him ANdy sent you around and ask him ....

ZorsT
3rd June 2005, 21:05

yeah, trail bike, with high and log ratio gearbox

I am planning to get it going again for either dirt or buckets if it is allowable.

EDIT: it is air cooled

geoffm
4th June 2005, 15:11
Man...... you should go for that job in WMCC, sales is you :niceone:
So all std is it? motor, wheels, frame etc.

All standard, with the pressed tinfoil "Flexible concept" frame and swingarm.
I used to have the race specs for these somewhere in my archives. Believe it or not, there was a factory race kit for them.
They have a set of ancient Yokohama 003 tyres, and some dodgy expansion chamber which IIRC sounded suitably ringy dingy.
Hey, could be cheap racing for someone. Stienes or Guinness takes it away...
Geoff

StoneChucker
4th June 2005, 17:11
All standard, with the pressed tinfoil "Flexible concept" frame and swingarm.
I used to have the race specs for these somewhere in my archives. Believe it or not, there was a factory race kit for them.
They have a set of ancient Yokohama 003 tyres, and some dodgy expansion chamber which IIRC sounded suitably ringy dingy.
Hey, could be cheap racing for someone. Stienes or Guinness takes it away...
Geoff
Rep Points to who can tell me where one could pick up the "factory race kit" :wait:

RS2000
5th June 2005, 02:12
hi geoff how many guinness do you want? I'm keen if it don't break the bank! cheers

geoffm
5th June 2005, 09:21
Rep Points to who can tell me where one could pick up the "factory race kit" :wait:

Apparently, Suzuki NZ had a dozen of them on the shelf for years, and an enterprising bucket racer in Auckland got the lot for peanuts several years ago. I think the full factory kit had a bigger carb, modded rotary valve, piston, ported barrel and spannie. hey, it doubled the horsepower...!
Geoff

StoneChucker
5th June 2005, 09:31
Apparently, Suzuki NZ had a dozen of them on the shelf for years, and an enterprising bucket racer in Auckland got the lot for peanuts several years ago. I think the full factory kit had a bigger carb, modded rotary valve, piston, ported barrel and spannie. hey, it doubled the horsepower...!
Geoff
You big fricken tease! ;) Oh, I knew the details just not the whereabouts :no:
Double? So they'd have 18HP then. Thats quite alot for an 82kg bike. Hey, I weigh more than the bike, thats a first!

gav
6th June 2005, 16:52
Hey D, heres something for ya, within your budget too!!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbike-Parts/Engine-drive-train/auction-28820758.htm

F5 Dave
7th June 2005, 10:59

The new(ish) rules allow an aircooled 125 2-stroke with a carb restriction of 24mm carb (a twin like a GT125 would require the equiv of one 124mm carb).

100cc 2-stroke is allowed any carb & water cooling if desired.

By definition of the rules 'factory race kits' are specifically illegal to run. Well any internal engine parts would be. Carbs ignitions & pipes are free. Recently pistons have become free as well.

The rules were made this way so std bikes would not be made obsolete by big buck race kits or competition machinery, like mx bikes.

gav
7th June 2005, 19:16
Who actually makes the rules? Do they go through Motorcycling NZ? I seem to recall the bucket fraternity were very much anti ACU involvment in the early days.

NC
7th June 2005, 19:43
http://www.peta.org/feat/grrr900/images/dogearmuffs.gif

:killingme This picture is so fucken stupid :killingme

Skunk
8th June 2005, 07:44
One bucket (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=28902575)

F5 Dave
8th June 2005, 09:23
Not a very good one, solid footpegs, no brakes bad handling & gutless

Skunk
8th June 2005, 10:27
So it would suit me then...

ajturbo
8th June 2005, 14:23

well i just put a bid on it....:niceone: :motu:
i sure BabyB can weld me up some folding foot pegs. i can put an extra sole on my boots for breaks... and i don't think i weight tooo much for the power out put.....
i remember the boys in nelson (chris ) racing one of these with some good results.. well he used to beat me!!!!..... come to think of it so did everyone else:whistle:

dangerous
8th June 2005, 17:33
The new(ish) rules allow an aircooled 125 2-stroke with a carb restriction of 24mm carb (a twin like a GT125 would require the equiv of one 124mm carb)
Bugger...... so another words, the GT would have to have a max carb size of 12mm?
Dont supose anyone knows the size of a GT125 carb's ??? X4 and ram air :niceone:

F5 Dave
8th June 2005, 17:41
Well the area of one 24mm carb is 452, so they would have to be 17mm carbs or smaller. Think one 24 & a manifold would be better. Still they have a crap 5 speed gearbox.

Go find an H100 or MB100. Or TS100/125, or GL145, or FXR150, or DT100/125, MT125. Or a CB125, or a GS125, or a kawa 100. RX125 go ok but have a bad gearbox.

Better yet get an RG or TZR50 & join the F5 class. In the last wgtn meeting there were three 50s giving it to the bigger bikes. Handling & brakes are a good thing & the 50s start with it std.

gav
8th June 2005, 18:26
well i just put a bid on it....:niceone: :motu:
i sure BabyB can weld me up some folding foot pegs. i can put an extra sole on my boots for breaks... and i don't think i weight tooo much for the power out put.....
i remember the boys in nelson (chris ) racing one of these with some good results.. well he used to beat me!!!!..... come to think of it so did everyone else:whistle:
Well, it helped if you finished now and then rather than picking up bits that had fallen off your bike :devil2:

StoneChucker
8th June 2005, 18:47
Oh great... what about the A100? Also got solid footpegs, shit brakes but is it gutless? Hehe, I guess I'll just have to have fun on it, and forget about coming first :whistle:

StoneChucker
8th June 2005, 18:48
Hey Skunk, get the AX100 - I need some competition I can actually catch :ride: :niceone:

StoneChucker
8th June 2005, 19:17
Oh, I went down to Grayless Plastics, no 7 Sydney street as "someone" suggested earlier in the thread and found a timber company. A little while later, at number 70 Sydney street I found the shop :niceone: They have the PERFECT stuff for crash bungs there. 45, 50, 60 or 70 mm (diameter) plastic rods (some fancy high density plastic / polycarbonate). Ideal to drill a large pilot hole in, then sink a smaller bolt through and into the frame to make sweet sliders. I told him how much I want, and he was going to cut it but asked if I wanted a quote first. I wasn't too bothered, but said sure... Came out to $176.00 for 1.5 meters of it. $100 / meter including gst for the 45mm version. I don't wanna spend THAT much on THIS bike :mad:

So, will carry on looking for something to use, but what they had was ideal! Skateboard wheels are ok I guess, but I think they have a great chance of moving about (they can't be bolted on, they aren't thick enough).

Skunk
8th June 2005, 20:18
Hey Skunk, get the AX100 - I need some competition I can actually catch :ride: :niceone:Organised! :niceone:

Will have a couple by Sunday.

And I promise not to be hard to catch.

StoneChucker
8th June 2005, 22:00
Organised! :niceone:

Will have a couple by Sunday.

And I promise not to be hard to catch.
EXCELLENT!!! I'm really looking forward to kick..., I mean learning with you on the track! Hey, if you ride the one that doesn't go then it might offset my weight disadvantage :whistle:

Let me know what you do for crash bungs, would be good to get some help/ideas on that.

bungbung
9th June 2005, 08:14
Skateboard wheels bolt on fine. The bolt head sits in the bearing recess.

F5 Dave
9th June 2005, 09:10
WTF do you want 1.5M of the stuff?!?!!!! Are you trying to make stabiliser bars?!? Or do you have seven A100s to outfit?

You need some small rod turned down to plug the bar ends & some rod to screw over axles or attach to the frame. Shouldn’t be longer than 40-50mm. + Something to do the footpegs with.

Hailwood
9th June 2005, 09:23
threaded rod and skateboard wheels from the warehouse work perfectly well...4 wheels for $12 Ithink. Also a good idea to use an old plastic chopping board to cut up and use on the lower sides of your pegs. ive got some spare rims from a GS125, a set of forks, a race seat and a set of rear shocks if anyone is interested....I used to race an MB100..put it in a GS125 frame with slicks..the bike had a flatslide carb and stinger pipe..it was bloody quick in the right hands...just not in mine..lol I sold it....to anyone thinking about bucket racing...do it..its great fun and cheap as chips compared to bigger bike racing...great people who are always willingto help newbies....

ajturbo
11th June 2005, 16:08
Well, it helped if you finished now and then rather than picking up bits that had fallen off your bike :devil2:

hahahahahahahahha:motu:

speights_bud
19th June 2005, 00:33
you could always go grab the biggest thickest synthetic breadboard you can find from briscoes to attach to the bottom of footpegs, and turn to fit handle bar ends.