PDA

View Full Version : Law change regarding NZTA and your details

babysteps
30th August 2010, 09:35
Hi Team

I hope this is the correct place to post this and if there is another post already, please delete this mods (Couldn't find one)

As of 1 November 2010, a non-advertised new law comes into effect which allows third parties access to your name and address details via your vehicle registration plates.

You are able to elect not to have your personal details released however if you do not do this then anyone will be able to look up your registration plate and get the details from the net without paying anything.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/information.html

Click on the link below to opt out (if you want to opt out ).

https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/PersonalInfoAccess/entry.aspx

avgas
30th August 2010, 10:38
Is it just me or did this already exist before?

Swoop
30th August 2010, 11:16
Is it just me or did this already exist before?
Another thread in the GBR section. I'll go find a linky.

Edit:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/127265-NZTA-Revoke-authorised-access-to-personal-details

SMOKEU
31st August 2010, 11:54
That law has been around for years.

White trash
31st August 2010, 12:01
That's why you register your vehicles to a PO Box number (like c/o your work) and make up a bogus street address for a physical address.

Saves undesirables getting your info and nicking your bike while you're away.

SMOKEU
31st August 2010, 17:43
That's why you register your vehicles to a PO Box number (like c/o your work) and make up a bogus street address for a physical address.

So does that mean that any fines and re-licensing forms go to the PO box, not the physical address?

davereid
31st August 2010, 18:40
As of 1 November 2010, a non-advertised new law comes into effect which allows third parties access to your name and address details via your vehicle registration plates.

You are able to elect not to have your personal details released however if you do not do this then anyone will be able to look up your registration plate and get the details from the net without paying anything.

Thanks for your post.

In fact, third parties have always been able to access your details via your registration data, as it is a public database.

The change is, that you can now opt out, and make your details private.

IMHO the DEFAULT should be "private". It should not be necessary to ask the Government, or fill out a form, for them to protect you from sharing the data they obtain from you involuntarily.

The same applies to your drivers licence data. The Privacy Act makes it illegal to use unique identifiers except for the purpose they were granted. Yet, we all will be asked for our drivers licence data for all sorts of things, unrelated to transport.

I personally simply say "no license, sadly revoked for ever, what else could I use ?"

Its my view that the drivers licence and passport have become a defacto ID card. As neither of them are compulsory, I simply decline to offer them.

If the Government want us to have a national ID card, then they should propose it, face the public opinion, and then force it if justified.

Otherwise they can get stuffed.

Ocean1
31st August 2010, 19:07
If the Government want us to have a national ID card, then they should propose it, face the public opinion, and then force it if justified.

Otherwise they can get stuffed.

They did propose it, 'bout a decade ago iirc.

They were told to get stuffed then too.

White trash
1st September 2010, 16:37
So does that mean that any fines and re-licensing forms go to the PO box, not the physical address?

Any mail at all regarding the registration of your bike or speed camera tickets go to the PO Box. Yup.

Reckless
2nd September 2010, 12:06

Yep I've been lying about my address for years! And I made sure its a vacant lot so some poor bastard doesn't get their house broken into LOL!! The lady at the post office insisted about having to put down a physical address! Wouldn't process the rego with a box number only.
Buggered if I'm gonna have 20K of MX bikes on my ute or trailer or be riding my classic and some jerk goes and pay's his $2-20 at the PO and gets my address. They don't even have to follow you home!!
Most cops I know put down there work (the local cop shop) as their address.
Thank goodness someone has seen the light!!!

I do agree Private should be the default and we shouldn't have to apply for it to be private. WTF is the reason for that, creates more jobs processing forms I suppose, so they can charge more for rego??

Reckless
2nd September 2010, 12:16
Pity it doesn't work??

When I put in the 5a section ( License number) it comes up with an error :angry: and the number is correct as shown on my license??

35tickets
2nd September 2010, 21:56
Cheers for posting this - have been meaning to go and do this for a while and now i have thanx mate

Max Preload
2nd September 2010, 22:02
This is completely wrong - the law change is doing the complete opposite of what is posted at #1. This fucking email has been going around and around because people don't fucking investigate anything for themselves. I'm going to seriously fuck up the next cunt that sends it to me.:angry2:

Corse1
2nd September 2010, 22:10
Pity it doesn't work??

When I put in the 5a section ( License number) it comes up with a error :angry: and the number is correct as shown on my license??

I opted out for all my vehicles last Friday and it worked for me....no drama. Sure there isn't something :shifty: about your license

Reckless
2nd September 2010, 23:13
I opted out for all my vehicles last Friday and it worked for me....no drama. Sure there isn't something :shifty: about your license

Good to know it works thanks mate. Maybe I'm just to old? My license is all good as far as I know.
Well good enough for a ticket to get here LOL!!!:blink:

MarkH
14th September 2010, 13:22
As of 1 November 2010

Not any more!

According to a letter I received a few days ago (from NZTA) the changes will now occur on 1 April 2011.

SMOKEU
14th September 2010, 18:48
Not any more!

According to a letter I received a few days ago (from NZTA) the changes will now occur on 1 April 2011.

I just received that letter today as well.

Fucking cunts at the NZTA are really starting to piss me off.

Genie
14th September 2010, 19:26
Where's my letter? I didn't get one...it's not fair:crybaby: