PDA

View Full Version : Geek help please

MSTRS
30th August 2010, 18:12
I have a network adaptor which has no brand or model on it, and I have no driver disc. Have searched Google images in an attempt to identify by sight but not there.
Pictures are a little out of focus :blink: but someone must recognise the thing.
It'd be at least 5 years old, but worked fine before the PC crapped itself.

With a make and/or model I should be able to find the drivers using the other PC...

dynamite9585
30th August 2010, 18:22
give us all the info on that sticker, should be able to find something for ya

MSTRS
30th August 2010, 18:29
There's a serial # and a MAC # - that's it.
Oh - and it measures around 100mm x 50mm

dynamite9585
30th August 2010, 18:31
i'll give the serial a crack, the mac id is completly unique

Ronin
30th August 2010, 18:39
There's a serial # and a MAC # - that's it.
Oh - and it measures around 100mm x 50mm

No FCC number? I'm assuming it's a wireless adaptor?

Bald Eagle
30th August 2010, 18:44
MAC address lookup manufacturers link (http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/)

MSTRS
30th August 2010, 18:55
OK...comes back to W-Link Systems.
Actual adaptor still proving....elusive

MSTRS
30th August 2010, 19:18
Dammit. This company certainly doesn't make it easy to find drivers.
Serial no. is 1 09 02 08 00 02 30 E

Ronin
30th August 2010, 19:22
ok... Try here. (http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_part.php?brandname=W-Link)

There is a list of chipsets used in these adaptors. You should be able to get a generic driver to use.

MSTRS
30th August 2010, 19:28
So, one of the 3 USB types might work? BUT I don't use linux...

Ronin
30th August 2010, 19:33
So, one of the 3 USB types might work? BUT I don't use linux...

yeah but that gives Atmel as the chipset maker... However their website is pants. How the hell old is that thing? 7 years?

MSTRS
30th August 2010, 19:37
Could be...
It plugs into a USB port. The bit in the photos is on the other end of about 6 metres of wire, with an 'extender' inline to boost the signal.

Latte
30th August 2010, 20:36
Once plugged in, in device manager on your PC for the "unknown device", goto the details tab, then choose hardware id, there you should see pci/ven_XXXX&DEV_XXXX , this will give you a unique vendor code, and device code, try googling these numbers and you may be lucky to find the right driver.

MSTRS
31st August 2010, 08:37
Been there, tried that. It is simply an "unknown device"...

Per Ronin, might just be easier to get a new one.

Clockwork
31st August 2010, 09:01
An uneducated reply here but..... do network adapters have drivers?

MSTRS
31st August 2010, 09:29
Oh yes - they do.

avgas
31st August 2010, 09:37
might just be easier to get a new one.
It is.....................

Slyer
31st August 2010, 09:44
Easier and better.
Is this for a laptop?

MSTRS
31st August 2010, 10:11
PC. Need it to connect with a new TP-Link ADSL2 wireless router.

avgas
31st August 2010, 10:44
You don't need to buy this specific brand.
But if you wanted it in all the same brand
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Wireless-networking/Adaptors/auction-314316633.htm

glegge
31st August 2010, 10:55
boot up a linux 'live' disc (lots to download and try for free).
open a console, plug in the device, then wait a sec - then type dmesg..
you should see some messages showing the device ID's/name etc..

there may even be a lsusb on linux, i cannot remember.

Slyer
31st August 2010, 11:26
Might I suggest an Ethernet cable.
Cheap, no drivers required, max speed and 100% reliable.

MSTRS
31st August 2010, 11:30
Router and PC are in different buildings. Hard-wiring is not an option, unfortunately.

Bald Eagle
31st August 2010, 11:31
Router and PC are in different buildings. Hard-wiring is not an option, unfortunately.

If they share the same power supply then try ethernet over power adapters.

PirateJafa
31st August 2010, 11:32

This.

Do it once, do it right, and never worry again.

Slyer
31st August 2010, 12:35
Hahaha, oh my. Long distance between buildings and using an old school wireless adaptor?
You're asking for trouble. Hopefully this is for yourself and you're not going to make some other poor soul put up with it. :bleh:

avgas
31st August 2010, 12:54
bwahahahahaha
100%
you obviously have not dealt with wires.

MSTRS
31st August 2010, 13:15
Hahaha, oh my. Long distance between buildings and using an old school wireless adaptor?
You're asking for trouble. Hopefully this is for yourself and you're not going to make some other poor soul put up with it. :bleh:

Not for me, no.:shifty:
If not wireless OR wired, then HOW? I'm not buying another router...

Slyer
31st August 2010, 13:21
bwahahahahaha
100%
you obviously have not dealt with wires.
I've wired several houses with ethernet jackpoints and make my own ethernet cables. I've never had one fail unless I did it wrong.

Unless you like, sabotage it or something its not going to fail on its own.

@MSTRS
Buy a good wireless adaptor. And make sure your router is up to snuff.
The ethernet over power idea is valid too, but expensive.

MSTRS
31st August 2010, 13:40
Buy a good wireless adaptor. And make sure your router is up to snuff.

That's what I have. I just need driver/s for it. It seems unlikely I'll find those so, a new one is looking necessary.
The router is new. TP-Link 150Mbps Wireless Lite N ADSL2+.

mashman
31st August 2010, 13:40

Can you get them over here? My brother in law uses this at his place... feckin good idea :)

Bald Eagle
31st August 2010, 13:43
Can you get them over here? My brother in law uses this at his place... feckin good idea :)

Have got a pair at home I don't need, yours for the usual :apint::drinkup:

MSTRS
31st August 2010, 13:44

Never heard of that. Uses an adapter in a power point socket?
Prolly no good, as router is in a seperate building, running it's own power box from a fuse on the main power box.

Bald Eagle
31st August 2010, 13:48
Never heard of that. Uses an adapter in a power point socket?
Prolly no good, as router is in a seperate building, running it's own power box from a fuse on the main power box.

If all the power is on the same side of the meter should work as it's only the meter that interrupts the data flow. Had a customer I sold a couple to that had a home office in a detached garage and a room in the main house, had sub-board but only one power meter, was all good.

scracha
31st August 2010, 13:50
I've wired several houses with ethernet jackpoints and make my own ethernet cables. I've never had one fail unless I did it wrong.

Is that worth your time? Unless you're wiring up 110 jack-points or having to put them through uber tight spaces then why not just buy them pre-made...adds about.......50c to a 10m cable?

An cripes, I knew kiwi's were tight but 3 PAGES of replies for a USB G wifi adapter that you can get for $25? FFS....it's probably an old 802.11b one he's got.

MSTRS...don't be such a skinflint...USB N adapters are about $45. TP-Link is 100% reliable...been flogging them for over 4 years. Good consumer grade 'N' type repeaters are $85 (a fug load more if you want them outside or need PoE though).

Bald Eagle
31st August 2010, 13:50
Can buy them here from Ascent

D-Link DHP-307AV Powerline AV Starter Kit (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=390537)

mashman
31st August 2010, 13:52
Have got a pair at home I don't need, yours for the usual :apint::drinkup:

DIBS :)... I take it the meeting is on tonight?

scracha
31st August 2010, 13:55
Can buy them here from Ascent

D-Link DHP-307AV Powerline AV Starter Kit (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=390537)

I can testify 1st hand that the D-link one is shite. Netcomm one is $160. Pretty pricey....have only used them on 1 locations where latency was a big issue and the customer couldn't rewire the place as he was leasing premises from an arsehole. Ran faultlessly for past 3 years.

Bald Eagle
31st August 2010, 14:01
DIBS :)... I take it the meeting is on tonight?

Only meeting thats not on tonight is BRONZ 'cos it's not the first Tuesday till next week.

MSTRS
31st August 2010, 14:09
MSTRS...don't be such a skinflint...USB N adapters are about $45.

Hoots, mon. It's ma Heeritage. Ye'd be understanndi' tha' Hen?
Can't seem to find anything less than $59 here. But nivver mind...one way or t'other I'll have it sorted today.

avgas
31st August 2010, 14:12
Unless you like, sabotage it or something its not going to fail on its own.
Consider yourself lucky. Mind due in saying that most of the stuff I have issues with is about 10+ years old.
Mice love cat-5.

However likewise cables that get moved or are 'pinched' are no fun either.
When I am trouble shooting on site - changing the cable is number 2 on the list. Just below "What the fuck changed?"

Bald Eagle
31st August 2010, 14:22
Consider yourself lucky. Mind due in saying that most of the stuff I have issues with is about 10+ years old.
Mice love cat-5.

However likewise cables that get moved or are 'pinched' are no fun either.
When I am trouble shooting on site - changing the cable is number 2 on the list. Just below "What the fuck changed?"

You missed 1A what did the dumb fucks do. ?

MSTRS
31st August 2010, 14:51
One of these must accompany EVERY 'installation'...
http://www.diary.in.th/my/upload/work_flow_chart.jpg

Slyer
31st August 2010, 16:11
Is that worth your time? Unless you're wiring up 110 jack-points or having to put them through uber tight spaces then why not just buy them pre-made...adds about.......50c to a 10m cable?
Have you bought a cable retail before?
http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4c7c80ee036be810273fc0a87f3b071d/Product/View/XH3294
My dad has a 100m roll I can nab from for free. :bleh:

scracha
1st September 2010, 09:01
Have you bought a cable retail before?
http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4c7c80ee036be810273fc0a87f3b071d/Product/View/XH3294
My dad has a 100m roll I can nab from for free. :bleh:
I only ever buy cables from Dork Smith in extreme emergencies as they're about 4x dearer than everywhere else.

MSTRS
1st September 2010, 09:56
Update...
Got a new adapter - a TP-Link 150Mbps N one (same brand and spec as the router).
Hooked up, finds 4 networks in the area. 3 have neighbour's names and a weak signal. One is 'TP-Link and some numbers. If they are the model, then it's not the one I want to hook up to...although the signal is very strong. Have entered the security password for my router.
That should be it, right?
I still can't connect.
Tearing my hair out here.

avgas
1st September 2010, 10:47
You missed 1A what did the dumb fucks do. ?
Thats usually on the phone before I get in the car.

Had an interesting call out to Coke one morning. Told me someone was wrong with the machine and that I should bring a spare.
I grabbed some pressure rollers and other parts just in case it was a repair.

Turned up to site to find a forklift parked into the labeller. Seems a 4 foot spike fucks shit up good :blink:

avgas
1st September 2010, 10:49
Update...
Got a new adapter - a TP-Link 150Mbps N one (same brand and spec as the router).
Hooked up, finds 4 networks in the area. 3 have neighbour's names and a weak signal. One is 'TP-Link and some numbers. If they are the model, then it's not the one I want to hook up to...although the signal is very strong. Have entered the security password for my router.
That should be it, right?
I still can't connect.
Tearing my hair out here.
After you punch in the code for the router - what does it say?
Anything along the lines of:
"Limited Connection"?

steve_t
1st September 2010, 10:51
Log into the router and check that either MAC filtering is either off or you have entered the MAC address of your adapter into the list of accepted devices.
Oh and check that your router is broadcasting its SSID so you can find it easily

mashman
1st September 2010, 10:51
Only meeting thats not on tonight is BRONZ 'cos it's not the first Tuesday till next week.

:brick::brick: (also forgot it was my anniversary today ooops)

MSTRS
1st September 2010, 11:28
Log into the router and check that either MAC filtering is either off or you have entered the MAC address of your adapter into the list of accepted devices.
Oh and check that your router is broadcasting its SSID so you can find it easily

Kinda follow that...BUT my young fella's laptop (with inbuilt wireless) linked straight up, no problem. Only had to enter the router's password into the laptop. None of this shagging about.

steve_t
1st September 2010, 11:34
Kinda follow that...BUT my young fella's laptop (with inbuilt wireless) linked straight up, no problem. Only had to enter the router's password into the laptop. None of this shagging about.

Bugger. There goes that theory

avgas
1st September 2010, 11:53
Yep by the new laptop probably has new OS on it.
You need to differentiate if it WEP or WPA code. From recall XP SP3 has both, but SP2 only has one. Vista/7 have both.
XP SP1 has almost nothing.

MSTRS
1st September 2010, 18:27
Router was set as WEP. Changed it to WPA2 and...bingo!
Thanks guys.

MSTRS
2nd September 2010, 17:01
Further update...
Young fella's laptop can no longer get on the net.
We've been in and deleted the existing connection, and renewed it and re-entered the password. All it gets is a 'local connection' ie - it links to the router, but the router won't let it get on the net.
Laptop is running Vista. All settings appear fine and worked when router was set to WEP. (when the other PC wouldn't)
Choices within the router are: No security, WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK. It is set to the PSK level. Which sorted the wireless PC.
Apparently, I shouldn't select the WPA/WPA2 option, and anyway that option wants a Radius Server IP and a Radius Password (whatever they are).
Anyone?

Latte
2nd September 2010, 20:55
check if yours sons laptop is able to do wpa (iirc xp sp0/sp1 only had wep?).

And i know for my wireless if I get the password wrong it still loks like it;s connecting but never gets an ip address.

Gremlin
2nd September 2010, 22:51
no, you don't want radius, you don't have it. PSK stands for pre shared key. Its possible some devices only support some encryption, but that's more iphone, psp. You may have to resort to mac security, allowing only certain mac's to connect.

MSTRS
3rd September 2010, 09:07
Will the goons at Xtra be able to help?
If laptop accesses the router, which it does, they should be able to see what's wrong?

avgas
3rd September 2010, 10:56
I know it sound stupid. but it sounds like you getting the password wrong.
Vista will connect if you get the password wrong, but it will say something like "local connection / limited connection".
Try deleting the connection and enter in the password very slowly.

XTRA goons may be able to help........keep asking for a new one after the old one tells you to reset the router.

Slyer
3rd September 2010, 11:14
To be fair restarting the router fixed the problem for most of their client's internet issues.
Especially with the shitty routers they provide.

MSTRS
3rd September 2010, 11:21
I know it sound stupid. but it sounds like you getting the password wrong.
Vista will connect if you get the password wrong, but it will say something like "local connection / limited connection".
Try deleting the connection and enter in the password very slowly.

XTRA goons may be able to help........keep asking for a new one after the old one tells you to reset the router.
Have deleted the wireless connection and let it re-find the network, entered password and...only get the 'local connection'. Several times. Did again, but cut'n'pasted password from the router's own record. Same result.
Went into router and entered a new password. Then turned router off/on to reset. Tried laptop again. Same result.

To be fair restarting the router fixed the problem for most of their client's internet issues.
Especially with the shitty routers they provide.
Not a telecom-provided router. Is a good, new TP-Link Lite N ADSL2.

Gremlin
4th September 2010, 00:38
Once xtra know its not their router, no, they will not be able to help. They are trained specifically in certain areas.

Even had a client who spoke to xtra at length on a problem, with their gear, and they still didn't have a clue. PC was using the wrong gateway.

hmmm I'll flick you a pm...

MSTRS
5th September 2010, 11:08
Well...
Gremlin wanted a ride, so he came to Napier. Mad arab!!
But he did, and for 2 hours he struggled through all the possibilities without success. Wirelessly, either the laptop or the second PC could connect, but not both.
Finally, (I believe it was desperation at this point) he tried the MAC address pre-approve option. And that worked.
Thanks mate. You're a champ.

steve_t
5th September 2010, 11:51
Good stuff. MAC filtering is generally fine. Someone would have to be pretty hard out to park outside your house with a laptop and spoof your mac address to get on your network. The plus is that the connection is slightly faster with no encryption, though it's meaningless for internet cos that's the bottleneck. Basically, file transfer is marginally faster. Glad you're sorted

Gremlin
5th September 2010, 13:43
yeah, it was an odd one. Vista laptop would connect to wireless, gain an IP, but routing, ie ping modem, wouldn't work. Oh, tell zack to turn his firewall back on, would ya? Vista refused to change the networks public status as well. Only worked on 3 vista laptops, so wasn't aware of work around, and didn't think they would be happy with me working on it into the morning :D