PDA

View Full Version : Geek storage help needed

Usarka
2nd September 2010, 15:58
Requirement:

Share external storage between six PC's. 3 of the PC's are on a secure network that I can't plug in a NAS.

Is there any way to share a storage device between these PC's?

Is there such a thing as a NAS with USB ports for accessing data? Most of the ones I've seen have USB ports only for expansion..

Or any other way? (mention linux and I'll kick you in the balls).

Chur.

jim.cox
2nd September 2010, 16:14
Plug a USB drivedirectly into one of your 'secure' computers, share and go from there ?

K.I.S.S.

Bald Eagle
2nd September 2010, 16:17
Depending on size & type of content = google docs

Mental Trousers
2nd September 2010, 16:17
ssh tunnels??

Usarka
2nd September 2010, 21:09
The PC's are on a corporate network, but need to share files with some PC's that aren't on the network. It's a workaround hack because of gatekeeper governance gone mad.

The Stranger
2nd September 2010, 21:39
The PC's are on a corporate network, but need to share files with some PC's that aren't on the network. It's a workaround hack because of gatekeeper governance gone mad.

A USB hard drive and a VPN.
Or perhaps something like google apps?

Gremlin
2nd September 2010, 22:44
if network access isn't possible, I doubt SSH or vpn would work, unless you control the firewalls. Plus, are you even allowed? Having dealt with secure networks, there is a reason they are separate. USB is probably your only option, and I doubt it would be approved either.

jonbuoy
3rd September 2010, 01:58
NAS with webserver? Or old Linux machine running a RAID :shutup: .

avgas
3rd September 2010, 11:05
Explain secure network?
- Different IP range / Subnet?
- Physical connections?
- Firewalls?
- Secure routing?

I would be chucking a NAS (with FTP server) on the secure network, then opening a specific FTP port and adding specific routing paths and VLANs to it. Also if there is a MAC tracker on it it would be preferred - otherwise you have to have it on a secure switch.
That way you have to go through:
- 2 layers of security if you already on the secure network
- 5 layers of security if your external.